Knuckle Sandwich - Bootlegger's Brewery

Knuckle SandwichKnuckle Sandwich

Bootlegger's Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: jerz on 12-14-2009)
Jules11788

4.9/5  rDev +14%

A: Pours a two finger-width head, slight lacing, good retention; nice clear golden-honey color.

S: Wow! HUGE floral notes with LOTS of tropical fruits and a deliciously fragrant resinous, piney hop smell. This beer smells like what I would imagine heaven would: fantastic.

T: Shit... this is incredible! Lots of tropical fruits with a citrus-y, piney, floral hop sweetness that settles into a nice smooth malty bitterness on the end. One of the best tasting DIPAs I've ever had (if not the best).

M: Medium thickness; lightly carbonated; buttery and smooth with no boozy sharpness whatsoever. Where is the 10% abv hiding?

O: This is a stunningly incredible DIPA. One of the best (if not the best) examples of the style that I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. It reminds me a lot of a fresh Drake's Denogginizer, but slightly better. If you EVER see one of these on the shelves, pick it up immediately. Outstanding in every way.

08-08-2011 18:38:31 | More by Jules11788
M_C_Hampton

Georgia

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

A: poured from a 22 oz bottle into a snifter, a deep orange amber with a big off white head that dissipates slowly leaving some lacing, clear

S: tropical fruit, pineapple, mango, papaya, orange, grapefruit

T: heavy bitter hops up front, grapefruit, lime, fades into mango, pineapple, papaya, sweet finish that is heavy on floral hops with some pine resin, great malt profile

M: fairly viscous with higher carbonation, alcohol only slightly noticeable

O: This is a really top notch DIPA, that hasn't been hyped much at all. I had never heard of it until a friend from work sent it to me; thanks E.J.! It is on par with some of the best West Coast DIPAs I've had. It is well worth seeking out.

04-16-2013 01:34:58 | More by M_C_Hampton
LBBeer

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

On Tap at The Factory Gastrobar in Long Beach, CA.

A--Deep Copper color, ivory head. Not much lacing.

S-Deep sweet malt note, combined with bright citrus, and a balanced floral note.

T-This is my favorite beer currently being brewed because there is a giant dose of sweet malt to go along with and absurdly good citrusy hop profile. I have gone head-to-head against Port's Mongo and Drake's Denogginizer, and found them to be poor substitutes.

M-When I take a drink of this beer, for a second it feels like a really well-built European ale, and then the hops catch up and its true awesomeness is asserted.

D--Honestly, I could use even a bit more malt, and a skosh of roastiness.

There is no better double IPA.

03-06-2011 04:19:14 | More by LBBeer
UCLABrewN84

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a clear dark amber color with a HUGE 3 inch bone colored head. Thick foamy ring lacing on the drink down. A very beautiful beer. Smells of fresh pine hops, sweet malts, peach/nectarine. Taste is beyond delicious. Herbal piney hops, sweet malt base, and a very tropical peach-like fruitiness. Hardly any lingering bitterness on the tongue. 10% ABV is extremely well hidden in this beer. Good carbonation with a medium body. Slightly creamy and sticky. Drinkability is absolutely perfect. Very hoppy but without extreme bitterness, tasty malt backbone, and a wonderful fruity taste. I only bought one bottle and I wish I bought more. I will be on the lookout for this one from now on. A must try if you see it.

03-04-2011 01:58:07 | More by UCLABrewN84
vande

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

I really only want to say is, BUY IT! If you can find it and you like IPAs, DIPAs, hops.. You will love this beer!

A strong golden rod pour leaving very little lacy on the glass after sitting a minute too.. The nose and moth ~ both strong, well balanced hops flowing here...An excellent pairing the the first burgers on the grill today... Mouthfeel - smooth and too easy to drink.

If/when I get a chance to snag more..I'm sure I will!!

04-01-2011 23:55:46 | More by vande
LaChupacabra

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Dark amber color with a good two fingers of off-white head. Head dissipated quickly leaving a small amount of spotty lacing. The nose on this one is big on tropical fruit and citrus. Pineapple, grapefruit, mango, sweet malts and a bit of boozy alcohol scent stand out. The taste is an intense blend of the aforementioned. A lot of succulent fruit, alcohol and a sweet, malty backbone coming through. Creamy, medium mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

One of my favorite D/IPAs. I wish this stuff was around more often.

11-13-2012 23:13:26 | More by LaChupacabra
JonathanC

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Knuckle sandwich provides a great amount of hops that brings a smooth taste which lingers for a great 10 second ordeal. HIGHLY UNDERATED.Finding this beer is a true treasure as every liquor store in CA seems to sell it within days of stock. If you get the chance to try this brew, you are lucky. This is Bootleggers masterpiece, it is considerably comparable to Pliny the elder. I would never pass a knuckle sandwich up. "All 78 bottles sold within 3 days of restock" says liquor store owners.

06-25-2013 02:29:32 | More by JonathanC
werdnacross

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Purchased at Wades Wines, my local bottle shop; Lucky me.

A-Dark amber color, slightly opaque with a solid head

S- Strong alcohol presence, just the way I like it.

T- Bitter, Hoppy, Malty, All around great tasting beer.

M- Strong taste, a little overbearing but still great.

O- A great beer a bit difficult to come by but will try to get my hands on it whenever I can.

03-19-2011 23:49:09 | More by werdnacross
snpub540

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured into a Duvel tulip. It pours a copper hue with red highlights. It is topped off by a cream colored head that has some nice stickiness to the side of the glass. Slightly hazy with a nice stream of bubbles.

The aroma is perfect. There is floral, citrus, tropical fruit, and resiny pine notes all coming through. Malty sweetness and a hint of the alcohol are also there. My nose was stuck in the glass for awhile. Yeah, its that good!

Taste is also perfect. Its a hop heads dream, but it is also sweet. It is also strong and refreshing. How can it be so many things all at once. Resiny bitter hops, with a nice fruitiness. Alcohol warmtyh slightly in the finish but very smooth in general. This is by far the most complex IPA I've ever tasted.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and it is very pleasant. Drinkability is great for a double IPA. I just wish this was a regular offering because I could possibly drink this beer every single day. It's that good.

07-17-2011 08:19:02 | More by snpub540
Reagan1984

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Big thanks to Masterski (Alex) for providing this surprise in a recent trade. Alex is a stellar trading partner.

First thing I have to say is that as I popped the bottle I got a blast of the aroma. Fantastic. And no, I didn't open the bottle with my nose near the opening. Very fragrant, floral, fresh and plenty of grapefruit coming through.

A thin finger plus head stays for just a short while and settles to a think cap. The beer is a very bright and clear copper/amber color with no visible carbonation. An unexpected amount of lacing for the head that developed. There were sheets of lace lining the glass.

Wow, excellent DPA. While this is a hop focused beer, there is a great balance here. The malt backbone is fantastic. Big fruit flavors with plenty of tropical notes. There is a sense of the alcohol, but again the balance is spot on. Doesn't feel like a 10% abv. This is a top notch DPA. I get a note of honey in the finish. The aftertaste is also fantastic.

The carbonation is almost like a cask conditioned beer. The feel is very smooth and just wonderful. I am falling in love with this beer as I work my way through the bottle.

Phenomenal Beer

03-27-2011 23:31:43 | More by Reagan1984
Drinkerofales

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

I had this on tap at my local Oggi's

a - Great color, a clean amberish-orange, slightly murky

s - hops, grapefruit, citrus, and a malt sweetness undertone

t - bright citrus hops up front, with malty sweetness in the middle, and both on the back, a excellent changing of the flavor throughout

m - it feels almost light, the right amount of alcohol flavor and feel, doesn't feel like the high abv it is

o - this has rapidly become one of my top 5 beers of all time, just wish it was more available, even going to the brewery itself they didn't have any. If I would want anything from this beer it doesn't have, it would be that I could have it all the time.

DOA

11-14-2011 02:30:28 | More by Drinkerofales
BrantleyJ

4.76/5  rDev +10.7%

Wow! I was pleasantly surprised by this DIPA. I picked up a few bottles from my local grocer after hearing good things about it. The hop aroma is intoxicating. If I could create an air freshener for my truck that smelled as good as Knuckle Sandwich I would. It tasted a good as it smelled, and surprisingly drinkable for a 10% beer.

03-26-2013 01:43:33 | More by BrantleyJ
JohnG190

4.76/5  rDev +10.7%

Thanks to StonedRaider for another outstanding trade! Pours a beautiful golden amber with a thick white head. Decent retention with nice lacing. Aroma of peaches, tropical fruit notes, whiff of citrus, with a hint of cat pee. Bitter throughout the palate with lots of peach, pine resin and caramel notes from the solid malt backbone. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Overall, a very underrated DIPA, outstanding fruity bitterness. Great job Bootleggers!

11-26-2013 22:56:39 | More by JohnG190
SuperbikeShaun

08-21-2013 03:55:35 | More by SuperbikeShaun
pumptrick

02-03-2012 19:50:02 | More by pumptrick
MrVonzipper

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured a nice bright clear amber color with a slight ruby tone. Nice frothy tan head with decent retention and lacing.

Amazing nose. Very nice sweet citrussy notes including orange peel and sweet ruby red grapefruit.

Amazing balanced flavor. Excellent sugary malt character on the back end supporting the great citrus and floral hop notes. Very nice aftertaste like a grapefruit-sugar brulee.

Nice full bodied mouthfeel that is creamy yet a tad tacky coating the entire palate. Good carbonation.

Overall this is one of the beat DIPAs out there. The nose is Perfect. The flavor is amazing and So Well Balanced. We need more hop production so we can get more of this stuff made!

07-20-2011 21:56:35 | More by MrVonzipper