2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Knuckle Sandwich - Bootlegger's Brewery

Knuckle SandwichKnuckle Sandwich

Bootlegger's Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: jerz on 12-14-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 813 | Reviews: 230 | Show All Ratings:
LaChupacabra

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Dark amber color with a good two fingers of off-white head. Head dissipated quickly leaving a small amount of spotty lacing. The nose on this one is big on tropical fruit and citrus. Pineapple, grapefruit, mango, sweet malts and a bit of boozy alcohol scent stand out. The taste is an intense blend of the aforementioned. A lot of succulent fruit, alcohol and a sweet, malty backbone coming through. Creamy, medium mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

One of my favorite D/IPAs. I wish this stuff was around more often.

11-13-2012 23:13:26 | More by LaChupacabra
kojevergas

3.3/5  rDev -23.4%

650ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a .5L New Belgium goblet (thanks Long!) in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, California. Acquired at a beer store near my work. Expectations are above average; I don't recall having anything impressive from this brewery and American-brewed IPAs often disappoint with their penchant for dicksizing IBUs and hop content. Still, I remain hopeful. 10.00% ABV confirmed.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm a bit before serving. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger beige=light khaki colour head of nice full cream, good thickness, and great retention for the high ABV. Body colour is a nontransparent somewhat dull copper-amber. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Rather dark compared to most good beers in the style that I've had. It's not looking great, but the head does impress me.

Sm: Soapy hops. Floor cleaning liquid. Floral hop character. Some buried citrus when I really dig. Dries the nostrils. Not at all appealing. It just seems like a beer that will drain the palate for no particular reason. I'm not at all excited for this. A moderately strong aroma.

T/Mf: Soapy, but with a lightly creamy pine surge towards the climax. Floral hops are rampant throughout. Some grapefruit, but also some berry towards the finish; the bright berry is unexpected but adds a dimension. Hop bitterness is well disguised, but it still dries the hell out of the mouthfeel and lends the flavour a musty character that I'm not fond of. Sort of an unwarranted scratchy coarseness. It's otherwise pleasantly wet and thick enough. Carbonation is good; no problems there. Pale and amber malts just sort of sit there, helping build a backbone and lending body but not adding anything of interest. Seems a lot more attention was paid to the hops than the malts, and they don't work all that well together as a result. Decently balanced, but then the key to this style is balance. What it does do well is hide its high ABV - which is quite an achievement at 10.00%. That said, I could guess its ABV just by its heavy presence on the palate. She does get better as she warms, with light caramelized malt and more of the berry seeping in to offer a struggle against the overbearing hops. I acclimate to the soapiness as I drink, but I doubt I'll fully get past it. The finish is a definite highlight, almost evoking a bit of nectar. It's growing on me over time, but its flaws only minimize - they do not diminish completely. No yeast comes through.

Dr: Very drinkable for the high ABV, but not a contender in this style. When you brew this style, you have to bring more to the table if you want to stay afloat. I get what they're trying to do, and it's different from most beers in the style out there. Different, yes, but not better - though I applaud the experimentation. This is one every true fan of the style should try, but don't expect a beer of impeccable balance. This is its key flaw. I look forward to trying more beers from the brewery; this really shows promise. Would I get it again? Nope.

B-

10-31-2012 05:15:19 | More by kojevergas
Vonerichs

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%

Deep copper color with a huge fluffy white head. Great lacing.

Floral, pine, and earthy hop nose with a strong sweet malt presence.

It's too heavy on the sweet malt for my liking. It's bitter, but astringent.

Mouthfeel is heavy and good carbonation.

This was just ok to me. It's really heavy and not so crisp and clean like I normally like my IPAs.

10-30-2012 02:03:34 | More by Vonerichs
trxxpaxxs

3.53/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Huge thanks to BrewtifulMind for gifting this bottle to me. I've wanted to try it for quite awhile...

A: Pours a nice copper/amber with about half finger of off-white head. The foam takes a while to dissipate, but leaves great lacing on the glass as it drinks.

S: The nose has components of big citrus, malt, and flowers. It smells nice, but it's a little too sweet for my liking.

T: It starts out sweet with a nice balance between malt, hops, and booze. The bitters mellow out the malt in the middle, and the alcohol comes on strong in the finish.

M: Full bodied beer. Sweet and syrupy to start, finishes coating and boozy.

O: Good beer, but not my favorite. I'm happy to have tried it, but I don't know if I'd ever seek this out again.

10-28-2012 19:04:13 | More by trxxpaxxs
mdfb79

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

From 10/13/12 notes. Big, big thanks to the 2 people who brought bottles of this to the NYC Top Hpos tasting; I believe brystmar brought one of the bottles. Been a Want of mine for a while.

a - Pours a deep amber-red color with one inch of off white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of fruity malts, citrus hops, grapefruit, light pine hops, tropical fruits, toasted malts, biscuit malts, and bready malts. Nice and fruity, though much more malty than I was expecting.

t - Tastes of fruity malts, pine hops, grapefruit, citru hops, tropical fruits, caramel malts, dough, and bready malts. Again, lots of fruits and malts, which is nice.

m - Medium body and low to moderate carbonation. Not a lot of bitterness to it; pretty easy to drink.

o - Overall I thought this was a very good beer, though it was super malty nowhere near as hoppy as I was expecting. Lots of fruit to it and malts, and no bitterness, which makes it easy to drink. A very good beer worth checking out, but not a hop bomb in the least, so don't expect it to be one.

10-15-2012 19:20:57 | More by mdfb79
writerLJBerg

Oregon

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle courtesy of Hophead84. Thanks!

A: Red shaded towards plum purple.1/2" head. Decent legs.

N: Perfect blend of fruit, pine and malt. Pineapple, mango, pine, earth floor, caramel/toffee. Lots of the tropical fruits really bumps this up for me.

T: Lots and lots of caramel and pineapple. Mango. Very sweet, but balanced out with a moderate pine and earth floor.

M: Very full. Semi dry. Alcohol is well hidden.

O: I look forward to having this every time, and I’m not disappointed. If I lived near Fullerton, I'd always have Bootlegger's beer in stock at my house.

10-15-2012 15:45:29 | More by writerLJBerg
Arbitrator

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

Chilled bottle into a glass, courtesy of KevSal. Thanks, Kevin!

A: Pours a slightly hazy, dark amber body (bordering on reddish-brown) with a nice, full inch of dense beige head. It retains well and leaves some sticky lace down the sides of my pint glass.

S: I remember this being pretty malty, and the nose confirms that memory -- lots of caramel malt found here. However, this also has a prominent citrus nose that is much more powerful than I remember -- either freshness helps (the bottle is a week old from the just-released batch), or they tweaked the recipe slightly. I detect a tangerine-grapefruit-orange blend; none of the tropical notes I really enjoy in [D]IPAs, but great nonetheless. There is a touch of pine needle at times.

T: The taste is initially sweet caramel, but it segues nicely into candied grapefruit, orange, tangerine. The finish closes out with piney bitterness; I can tell it would be really bitter if it didn't have as much caramel as it does. Some exhalations reveal a light pineapple character. It's reminiscent of some Triple IPAs, which are redolent in the hop candy effect (sugar drizzled over citrus and pine) -- it's an effect that works well when the bottle or keg is really fresh, I imagine, but my experience with a slightly older or possibly oxidizing growler wasn't quite so hot. I make the latter comment because I distinctly recall these guys filling studiously to the 64oz line in their screwtop growler, which was hilarious in its cheapness and worrisome for the headspace. Bottles are presumably better; this one is.

M: There is a small sugar burn on the back end, similar to what some Triple IPAs have. It doesn't really hinder drinkability (see below), but I wish it were a bit cleaner. ABV is well-hidden. Carbonation is higher than you'd find in some comparable DIPAs; it makes the medium-plus body easier to swallow.

O: I'm really surprised at how fast I downed this. I shit you not, from start to finish it was 20 minutes. Seek it out.

09-29-2012 03:06:29 | More by Arbitrator
theopholis

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

Appearance- Fairly clear deep copper/amber color. Good, creamy frothy off-white head with good staying power.

Smell- Lots of caramel, malt sweetness with background of citrus. Maybe a hint of earthyiness, but it smells very fresh and inviting.

Taste- Very malty, with a lot of malt-sweetness and just enough hops to balance it out nicely. Very well balanced in all aspects.

Mouthfeel-: Medium body. A tad light on the carbonation. It's amazingly creamy, like a nitrogen charged stout.

Overall- One of the better DIPAs out there. I find most of them are too citrusy or too piney for me. This isn't the best, but it's pretty good. And I like asking for it, because the waitress balls up her tiny little hand and says "I'll give you a knuckle sandwich!". LOL

04-23-2012 01:03:28 | More by theopholis
macrosmatic

4.69/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Poured from a bomber into pint glass. Deep deep copper appearance (this is a "pale" ale?). Not a whole lot of head.

S: Caramel with background of citrus.

T: Very malt-forward for an IPA with caramel-sweet malts & orange/floral hops. Good carbonation, and hop bitterness lasts but the sweetness does also.

M: Medium mouthfeel, not too heavy.

O: I really like this, but not sure how old the bottle is - there's no bottle date or "Best by" at all. I'm wondering if it has some age on it & the hop flavor has been diminished somewhat? I would be very interested in trying a bottle I knew to be very fresh Overall still excellent either way, thoroughly enjoyed it.

04-16-2012 05:19:11 | More by macrosmatic
silentjay

hazy dark copper/brown color with a very big light tan head that sticks around a while, lacing well.

lots of grapefruit and citrus hops with some tropical fruits and some candy sweetness.

flavor starts with tropical fruit, candied fruits, grapefruit, citrus. a bit of pine. flavors are in your face, but alcohol is not harsh in the least for a 10% ABV.

medium bodied with decent carbonation and a good amount of lingering resin.

Very strong entry into the DIPA field. Nothing I haven't had before in some other beers, but a very solid in-your-face DIPA.

04-15-2012 04:08:14 | More by silentjay
brystmar

4.93/5  rDev +14.4%

Bottle from the most recent batch, opened 3/10/2012. Reviewed from notes.

I have different tastes in IPAs than many beer geeks; I want a balanced, rounded mixture of hops & malts instead of a sharp, aggressive hop character with a biting bitterness that lingers. If you're expecting another DIPA along the lines of Palate Wrecker or Ruination, this brew will disappoint. But that would be crazy because Knuckle Sandwich is the world's best DIPA!

Amber/golden body with creamy, white head. Its bubbles exude a heavenly aroma of hops, fruit, malt, and other delectables. More strongly juicy & fruity than most other IPAs. Makes me want to powderize the remnants, sift it into lines with a credit card, and snort the stuff directly into my cranium.

Taste is sublime! Layers of silky hops and fruits dance around my mouth. Fresh Citra hops are out in force, though the strong malt backbone keeps everything in check. Soothing hoppy bitterness blends perfectly with the alcoholic character to warm my throat as it descends, much like the boozy sensation from a good RIS. Each flavor is bright and beautiful, thanks to the freshness of this bottle. Enjoying this within a week of bottling was a good choice.

Best IPA I've ever tasted, hands down. Abner is a close second, but I currently bow before Knuckle Sammich. Need moar!

04-10-2012 15:59:40 | More by brystmar
willjschmidt

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a medium-dark copper color with a very thick egg white head. Quite a bit darker than the typical DIPA.

S: Lots of citrus.

T: A unique DIPA. Loads of citrus, grapefruit, mango, and tangerine. Lots of sweetness in the form of caramel. Very little bitterness, a bit in the finish.

M: Medium, a bit above average in carbonation.

O: Interesting DIPA, tons of hop flavor and aroma with very little hop bitterness.

04-07-2012 04:04:20 | More by willjschmidt
abrand

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

bomber poured into pint glass

Pours a copper color with huge 3 finger white head. Good retention and exceptional clarity. Smell is dominated with citrus fruits. Oranges, grapefruit with plenty of hops. Taste is spot on with a nice balance of sweetness up front with a bitter finish from the hops. Amazing beer. Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Overall this is one of the better DIPA's I have had. Pretty high ABV but flavor profile hides it well.

04-03-2012 11:02:38 | More by abrand
wagenvolks

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%

22oz bottle into a Ranger Creek tulp. Thanks to LadyofMuchBeer for the IP trade!

An aggressive pour lends a towering, fluffy 2" cap of light custard foam. Beneath, the beer is a deep amber hue with an iced-tea core. A bit dark for a IIPA, but still very attractive. The aroma is big, but balanced. Tropical fruit notes of mango and pineapple lead the way, followed by a hint of pine and sweet caramel-toffee malts.

Creamy malts and caramel candies lend an initial sweetness that morphs into a hefty malt backbone throughout each drink. The hops punch in mid-sip with a minty, piny bitterness and finish with a sticky resin note that mingles with tropical fruit and a flash of gummy booze. Alcohol is inconspicuously mild for the 10% ABV. Mouthfeel is chewy and borders on thick/cloying/sticky, but still goes down smooth thanks to a creamy carbonation level. Knuckle Sandwich is a sweet symphony of hops and malt--perhaps more in the strong ale/barleywine department, but I like 'em that way every now and then.

03-28-2012 23:36:27 | More by wagenvolks
Florida9

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Very dark amber, approaching brown, in color. Forms a voluminous creamy off-white colored head that slowly reduces to a very think ring around the edge and leaves globs of lacing on the way down.

S: Somewhat dank. Almost musty. With lots of citrus, orange, and grapefruit.

T: Starts off with sweet malts, light sweet caramel, and a strong orange-citrus flavor. There is some subtle orange blossom floral quality and some pine as well. A little bit of alcoholic spice on the finish.

M: Medium bodied and sweet. Texture is slick, almost syrupy. Moderate bitterness. Appropriate carbonation.

O: Wow, this one was not what I was expecting. Nothing like the typical West Coast IPA style, much maltier and sweeter with lots of hops, but a restrained bitterness.

03-21-2012 23:01:42 | More by Florida9
kawilliams81

Yukon (Canada)

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured into a Half Acre tulip.

A- dark caramel with a 2" beige head, and traces of lacing remain.

S- tons of citrus, orange and grapefruit with dank hops.

T- sweet malts, candi sugar,lots of orange and grapefruit with nice pine bitterness at finish.

M- medium body and carbonation. Super creamy, viscous and some slickness to it.

O- excellent dipa! Perfectly balanced, nice sweet citrus and hop bitterness.

03-08-2012 03:24:13 | More by kawilliams81
Duff27

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Good half inch off white head on a darker red body. Splashy clump lacing and above average head retention.

Danky musty citrus smell, somewhat sweet. Oranges.

Candied grapefruit. Yum. Minimal alcohol heat. Nicely balanced with caramel malts.

Somewhat creamy, adequate carbonation.

Wow one of the best DIPAs ive had in awhile for sure. Extremely well balanced, just tasty. Thanks kawilliams81!

03-07-2012 02:24:06 | More by Duff27
OneBeertoRTA

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Josh at Whole Foods for hooking me up with a few bottles.

This brewery has been hit and miss for me. The Black Phoenix and mint porter both weren't up to bar imo.

The Knuckle Sandwich however lived up the hype. Nothing like Pliny as the abv is apparent.

Citrus up front with great carbonation and drinkability. Pours a nice orange color with a little more than an inch of head.

Hints of pine, pineapple and other tropical fruits with a strong caramel maltiness. This beer really hits hard.

02-18-2012 22:15:20 | More by OneBeertoRTA
ghostwalker

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

22 oz bomber served in my CBS snifter.

This is nearly visual perfection. Reddish-gold body, excellent clarity. Topped with a huge, thick, sticky, yellowish head. Doesn't come much better, but it's not quite a 5.

Nose is candied citrus in the best tradition of the West Coast IPA.

Flavor is sweet, but fairly light malt encrusted with massive hops. I'm getting serious citrus with some pineyness. Reminiscent of White Rajah. Just an outstanding flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium weight, medium carb. Slick and toothstripping.

Overall, this is a first quality West Coast DIPA. Glad for the great info on BA, or I would never have even heard of this beer. Thanks to dfernandez77 for the trade. Great trader!

02-08-2012 02:17:19 | More by ghostwalker
Tucquan

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this on 2012-02-05 in Columbia, PA

A - Mildly hazy, ruby-amber-orange with an initial 2-finger offwhite head that drops to 1/2-finger fairly quickly and leaves a light-medium amount of banded lacing.

S - Orange flesh, brown bread, tea, hop floral. Different. Pleasant. Not overpowering.

T - Interesting blend of flavors. Lots of toffee-butterscotch malt, pineapple, pine, candied orange, tannin and lemon zest bitterness. It's sweet but not cloying. The alcohol helps cut the sweetness. The aftertaste is very nice with lingering citrus rind bitterness tinged with pine, some hop cone oils and sticky-lip malt sweetness.

M - Medium-plus body and light-medium carbonation. Sticky, resinous and mildly prickly.

O - I really enjoyed the taste and feel of this brew. Serve this on the warmer side to enjoy the taste complexities. Will look for this again.

02-05-2012 20:05:35 | More by Tucquan
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From 22oz bomberto Hess imperial pint glass on 1/23/12
*From notes

-- Muchos gracias, Samantha --

A: Pretty God damn dark. like an amber or fair brown ale. A standard pour yields a fluffy two finger head that sticks around. Beautiful and dense lacing rims the glass as the head slowly fades.

S: It's most certainly hoppy. The tropical, almost floral vibe on this is outstanding.

T: How the nose leads to this, I don't know. It's like two different beers, as this is much maltier then I expected. Sure it's bitter and piney, but there's minimal fruit to it. The finish is bitingly dry.

M: Above average, but not much more. The carbonation could use a bit more touch, and the overall body feels like a rough draft.

O: Not the beer I was hoping for. In fact I really don't get where the hype is coming from. The name, maybe the killer label? I don't know man. What I do know is that Knuckle Sandwich is a reasonably good beer, but with so many other DIPA options out there, I don't know if I'd track this down again.

01-29-2012 19:01:01 | More by Rhettroactive
Thickfreakness

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Received today from tyrsis! What an awesome surprise!!! Thanks man!

A- Pours a deep amber/orange into my DFH glass. Small but thick head floats atop and fades slowly leaving a ton of sticky, drippy lacing!

S- A punch in the nose from the piney, sweet citrus! NICE! Pineapple, summer peaches, grapefruit, basil, wet hay and what seems like a ton of sweet malts! Hints of caramel and candied citrus.

T- WOW! Grapefruit, apricots, fresh cut pine, pineapples, spicy basil, and a load of sweet maltiness. What an amazing balance! The sweetness cuts thru the dank, piney hops... and the hops hold on and leave your tongue astringent, while leaving plenty of room for the caramel sweetness.

M- Thicker and more oily than most IIPA's thanks to the malt bill. Awesome citrus/pine punch that hangs on and doesn't let go. Tons of tropical fruit! Pineapple, mango, and citrus! I love the sweetness that shines thru!

O- I gotta get ahold of more of this. I have a feeling that with the sweet malts that hold this IIPA together... this could turn into a really nice Barleywine if properly cellered for a few years! This is damn close to perfection!

01-26-2012 04:53:45 | More by Thickfreakness
corby112

4.05/5  rDev -6%

On draft at the brewery and at Bruery Provisions.

Pours a clear golden orange color with a one finger white foam head that quickly settles into a lasting ring.  Streaks of lace left behind.

Floral, dank hop aroma with balance of earthy pine, citrus fruit notes and pale malt.  Strong pine needle presence along with pineapple and lemon peel followed by biscuity malts and subtle alcohol.

Chewy body thats fuller than expected with a really nice balance of earthy, grassy hops, tropical/citrus fruit and pale malts.  Dry and bitter up front with piny hops lingering over the sweeter notes.  Hints of pineapple, grapefruit and lemon peel countered by a  nice malt presence that provides balance without interfering with the hop flavors.  Subtle hints of biscuit and graham cracker before finishing with some boozy heat. The alcohol flavor towards the end of the palate takes away from the hops a bit but overall this beer is pretty good.

01-25-2012 23:59:00 | More by corby112
augustgarage

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

On-tap @ Tony's Darts Away - served in (multiple) 10oz nonics. Reviewed briefly from notes:

Deep amber body with bright orange-ish highlights. Pasty lacing; good retention.

The aromatics are stunning and deliver wave after wave of tropical fruit - mango, kiwi, guava, pineapple...then a fresh burst of kumquat and other citrus. Super fresh hop notes abound.

The flavor delivers more of the same fruity goodness backed up by a potent alpha-acid bomb of juicy hop bitterness. Excellent. Sweet/tart/then finally dry finish with a lasting IBU-induced glow.

Creamy, medium-bodied, and faintly oily mouth-feel.

Bootlegger's has outdone themselves with this one - one of the fruitiest takes on the style I've sampled; and quite strong without being overwhelming or totally unbalanced (though this is still a beer for hop-heads).

01-25-2012 16:10:22 | More by augustgarage
TheCrowsNest

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%

I love Bootlegger's tasting room. No frills. Just beer. In mason jars.

Pours a rich copper. They fill their mason jars to the brim, so there wasn't much room for head. No complaints there.

Lemons, oranges, pine needles. Very fresh and inviting.

Goes right along with the taste. At 10% I didn't get much warmth, but the malt backbone supports the heavy hops.

Medium-full bodied. Dry.

An IPA that will stand with the best. I wish they still put this into growlers.

01-24-2012 17:46:00 | More by TheCrowsNest