1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Knuckle Sandwich - Bootlegger's Brewery

Knuckle SandwichKnuckle Sandwich

Bootlegger's Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: jerz on 12-14-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 808 | Reviews: 230 | Show All Ratings:
unitmonster

2.8/5  rDev -35%

Served out of a 22oz bomber from the last release in July.

A - Standard yellow IPA/DIPA color. Generous head.

S - Alcohol, followed by hoppy pine and citrus smells.

T - More alcohol. This DIPA feels so imbalanced. Tons of malt flavor and really warm alcohol.

M - Great carbonation, finishes well.

O - Am I drinking the same beer as everyone else? I've had this and thought it was pretty bad. I had a small tasting and other people thought the same thing (note: different bottles that I did not buy). I feel like there are far better DIPAs out there then this.

08-16-2011 00:43:48 | More by unitmonster
LBBeer

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

On Tap at The Factory Gastrobar in Long Beach, CA.

A--Deep Copper color, ivory head. Not much lacing.

S-Deep sweet malt note, combined with bright citrus, and a balanced floral note.

T-This is my favorite beer currently being brewed because there is a giant dose of sweet malt to go along with and absurdly good citrusy hop profile. I have gone head-to-head against Port's Mongo and Drake's Denogginizer, and found them to be poor substitutes.

M-When I take a drink of this beer, for a second it feels like a really well-built European ale, and then the hops catch up and its true awesomeness is asserted.

D--Honestly, I could use even a bit more malt, and a skosh of roastiness.

There is no better double IPA.

03-06-2011 04:19:14 | More by LBBeer
davidbowers13

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Jodan for the hookup on this. Served from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Copper/Orange in color with a off white head. 2 finger head with a gentle/normal pour. Lacing moderately sticks to the glass.

S - Sweet floral citrus notes. Not over-powering like some DIPA's can be. Very well balanced hop and malt characteristics.

T - Very well balanced and sweet up front with a nice citrus hop finish. Hides the 10% ABV very well. So good I keep going in for another sip as soon as I finish the last.

M - A little heavier as it warms, but still a very easy drinking beer for a 10% DIPA.

O - Definately a front runner for one of the best DIPA's I've had. A great balance of sweet malt and hops. Not over powering on the hops, so if you're looking for a DIPA that won't wreck your pallet with a huge hop bomb, this is it.

08-10-2011 01:55:27 | More by davidbowers13
gshak

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

If there ever was a perfect beer to represent the double IPA style, for me this it is!
A - straight pour out of the bottle into my Kostritzer stemmed glass. Formed a 2 finger's width of head subsiding into a thin ring leaving some lacing on the glass. The beer itself is bordering on yellow-orange tending towards light amber in color.
S - Whoa - guava is supremely dominant. This must be a super-fresh bottle! I pick up some papaya, honeydew, grapefruit, peaches. Mind blown!
T - Taste follows smell. Initial blast of sugary sweetness completely belies 87 IBU worth of hoppy bitterness. This is like drinking straight-up fruit juice. Sort of like a guava, papaya, grapefruit punch. The sweetness gradually diminishes as the beer flows through the mouth, indicating the counteraction of the hops and dries out towards the end. At no point do you feel any unwelcome bitterness or alcohol heat. The only indication of the 10% ABV is after a couple of sips, when you feel the warmth in your chest.
M - Perfect mouthfeel. The maltiness lends some body, but the carbonation and hops play together perfectly to make the mouthfeel lighter and quaffable. This is the sort of a beer that makes you take big gulps and let it play around in your mouth before swallowing it bit-by-bit.
O - Much as I like to rate this a perfect 5 (and the beer itself is worthy of this), I must deduct a point somewhere for not putting a bottled-on date anywhere on this brew. Brewers - not everyone might be as lucky as me to land a fresh bottle, please note and help us appreciate you better!
This beer is an ode to hops. Supremely well-balanced, supremely aromatic, supremely enjoyable. Even if I may never get to try this beer again, this beer has left an indelible impression on me, and will be the new benchmark for all DIPAs to follow.

12-11-2012 19:26:56 | More by gshak
LevitatedEep

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into my Chimay glass.

A - Red and orange in color not much head but some nice lacing.

S - Smells delicious, lots of pine and malty....cannot stop sticking my nose in the glass....this one should taste great.

T - MMM this one is very tasty...bitter but not overwhelming...a tasty sweetness slides down my throat along with the bitter hops...very nice.

M - Very nice....not too carbonated, it is almost perfect.

D - Very easy to drink for a DIPA....could session this one forsher...

Another great Southern Cali DIPA and I live a few miles from the brewery yay!

12-02-2010 07:04:59 | More by LevitatedEep
JeffBob

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

poured from tap at Bootleggers brewery into a beer glass.
A Great 1/2 inch of foam
S aroma of fantastic hoppy piney sweetness.
T At first bitter hops then sweetness hits you fading away to a nice bitter hop aftertaste.
M bitter dry and smooth
O just fantastic this beer ruined most IPA's for me.

04-17-2011 19:28:37 | More by JeffBob
antioch

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%

On tap at the Bootleggers Tasting Room

A - Pours a light amber/straw color with a nice white head and great lacing.

S - DIPA, need I say more? Grapefruit, pine, resin, citrus and maybe a bit of sweetness peeking through.

T - DIPA, need I say more? Bitter up front, in the middle and at the end. Grapefruit, pine, citrus, resin flavors show through the whole time. Definitely one of the better DIPA's out there.

M - Nicely carbonated on a fairly heavy beer. The carbonation seems to allow the flavors to really penetrate the tongue.

D - Decently drinkable for a high alcohol brew. After Strong Ale Fest, a lot of people I had talked to said this was one of their favorites at the festival. Great beer!

02-13-2010 16:40:06 | More by antioch
Rjhami

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

I was fortunate to find this at my local market after never seeing it from the usual bottle shops. It was the last one. Poured 650ml into snifter.

Pours orange-amber, butterscotch meets root beer type color...darker than most of this style. Good retention on a low volume head, the lacing slowly drips down the glass, not that sticky.

The nose starts out with fresh pine and gradually gives way to a well balanced malt character. It has an excellent clean, sweet, butterscotch-like finish. Floral and citrus tastes immediately give way to the big malt finish, sweet again with caramel and a bit of alcohol.

Oh yes this is a DIPA that you can sink your teeth into. It lets you know right away with the warmth of the mouth, but that does not take away from a surprisingly medium bodied feel.

The malt backbone on this one is big time and yet so well balanced. Packs a big punch as the name implies and not to be taken lightly. It would be difficult to take down multiple bombers of this beer but definitely will be buying this next time it's on the shelf.

02-20-2011 00:59:48 | More by Rjhami
Nuggethops

New Hampshire

4.18/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a 22oz bomber (thanks to StevenT562) into an imperial pint glass

Pours a dark amber with a reddish hue. An aggressive pour yeilds a one finger head which dissipates to a frothy white cap, decent lacing with a solid ring after each sip Aroma is of piney hop oils up front with citrus/grapefruit and caramel in the back.

Strong bitter hop taste up front with a slight bitter citrus taste, this beer has a strong malt backbone that tastes of caramel and banana with a slight alcohol taste at the end. This is a dangerously drinkable DIPA, I could easily throw back a few of these and would never guess a 10% ABV if the bottle didn't say so.

Overall this is a delicious well balanced DIPA with a nice malt character to offset the strong hop aroma and taste, I would definitely seek out this beer again.

04-16-2011 02:23:56 | More by Nuggethops
LaChupacabra

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Dark amber color with a good two fingers of off-white head. Head dissipated quickly leaving a small amount of spotty lacing. The nose on this one is big on tropical fruit and citrus. Pineapple, grapefruit, mango, sweet malts and a bit of boozy alcohol scent stand out. The taste is an intense blend of the aforementioned. A lot of succulent fruit, alcohol and a sweet, malty backbone coming through. Creamy, medium mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

One of my favorite D/IPAs. I wish this stuff was around more often.

11-13-2012 23:13:26 | More by LaChupacabra
Chaz33187

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%

Reddish orangey glow
S- very piny and a bit fruity. very powerful exciting smell
T- very original and well balanced choppy malty booze taste. The first taste is a breathe of life. Alcohol isnt well hidden, but its strangely welcoming. Towards the end of the beer, the bitterness did linger a bit.
M- sharp booze bubbles, very fizzy but it doesn't ruin the beer
O- incredibly unique IPA. It has this scotchy choppy balance that really surprises you.

04-09-2013 01:15:05 | More by Chaz33187
More_betterness

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Grab a bottle every time I see it available! Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Lost Abbey teku.

A: Deep amber, almost ruby hue topped by a light tan head. Even after having this beer multiple times it is still slightly off putting seeing an ipa this dark. Despite its non-conformity still a good looking beer.

S: Massive, resinous hops up front. Mango, orange, and pineapple followed by sweet caramel malt.

T: Sweet tropical fruits and bitter pine followed by rich caramel sweetness. The malt character really accentuates the tropical aspect as the sweetness couples with the hops nicely. Bitter finish with a hint of warming alcohol.

M: Medium bodied for your average beer, but viscous for an ipa. Average carbonation.

O: This was the first DIPA I ever truly loved a few years ago,and it's easy to see why. While this amount of malt character in an ipa is now usually a detriment to a beer IMO, Bootleggers does a fantastic job of pairing a hefty malt sweetness with aggressive hop character in this one. The result is a beer that is far from the standard dry DIPAs with little to no malt character, but still an exceptionally balanced and well crafted brew. Love it!

03-30-2014 01:51:43 | More by More_betterness
doppelme

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

The beer smeels of crisp citrus fruits with a bit of a resiny stinch as well. It pours a dark orange body with a sticky off white head. The beer is bitter upfront with a lingering sweetness at the end. The alcohol is hidden well but you can sense that after one bottle you probably will be able to feel a little buzz going. It is moderatly carbonated with a sticky texture to the beer. Overall this is a beer I would drink again and one I would love to always have around if that was possible.

09-01-2011 23:39:24 | More by doppelme
lanciloti

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bomber into a snifter glass. (release #18 2014)

Appearance: A dark amber. Creamy tan head.

Smell: Sweet caramel and apricot. Great hop aroma.

Taste: I get a lot of sweet fruit and caramel out of this beer. Alcohol burn comes after about 10 minutes.

Mouthfeel: Nice mouthfeel, good amount of malt. Very full and creamy.

Overall: Reminds me a little of Maharaja, but even sweeter. Easy to drink for 10% abv. Would like to drink again. Cheers!!

02-23-2014 21:09:33 | More by lanciloti
Psyko

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

Knuckle Sandwich
650ml Bottle purchased at Bootleggers Brewery 11/23/12
Served in a tulip Glass

A: This beer pours a nice dark amber with a 1-2 finger head with some lacing. Some alcohol legs are visible. A small head lingers.

S: Sweet citrus and pine dominate the aroma. there is no alcohol in the smell.

T: Malty pineapple flavors dominate the initial flavor profile. Some mango with a quickly dissipating bitterness finish the back end. This beer is on the sweeter side of the DIPA spectrum. This specific batch is a little more sweet and a little less hoppy than previous batches in my opinion. Even with the small variations this is a great beer.

M: This beer has a thick mouthfeel. The effervescence does help cut down the syrupy mouthfeel, but the finish is still slightly sticky.

O: This another great West Coast DIPA. Find it now. Recommended.

11-26-2012 03:42:50 | More by Psyko
Uncleserg

3.59/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Color is orangey copper with generous head.

S: While I prefer more citrus forward IPA's, this one hits you with alcohol followed by a heavy malt back bone. As beer warms up a bit one gets a great bouquet of grapefruit and hoppy pine which is nice.

T: More alcohol...imbalanced for me.

M: Great carbonation and even though the ABV is high it does finish smooth with a sweet aftertaste.

O: I've had this many times and every time I revisit this DIPA I'm left thinking whats the hype. I'll blame it on my pallet but I feel there are far better styles of this beer out there.

04-09-2013 05:28:40 | More by Uncleserg
JonathanC

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

Knuckle sandwich provides a great amount of hops that brings a smooth taste which lingers for a great 10 second ordeal. HIGHLY UNDERATED.Finding this beer is a true treasure as every liquor store in CA seems to sell it within days of stock. If you get the chance to try this brew, you are lucky. This is Bootleggers masterpiece, it is considerably comparable to Pliny the elder. I would never pass a knuckle sandwich up. "All 78 bottles sold within 3 days of restock" says liquor store owners.

06-25-2013 02:29:32 | More by JonathanC
onefalsemove711

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into a Duvel Tulip glass from a 22oz bomber.

Pours deep amber with a 1" creamy white head and nice lacing. I'm really enjoying the caramel, toffee and citrus aromas with a lingering touch of slight grassiness. On first taste I detect spicy hops, grapefruit rind and toasted caramel malt. Mouth feel is full and the carbonation is full and refreshing.

Overall is this is a really great DIPA that deserves to be mentioned among the heavy weights in it's class. I enjoyed it tremendously and won't hesitate to pick one up next time it comes around.

01-22-2012 23:35:08 | More by onefalsemove711
werdnacross

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Purchased at Wades Wines, my local bottle shop; Lucky me.

A-Dark amber color, slightly opaque with a solid head

S- Strong alcohol presence, just the way I like it.

T- Bitter, Hoppy, Malty, All around great tasting beer.

M- Strong taste, a little overbearing but still great.

O- A great beer a bit difficult to come by but will try to get my hands on it whenever I can.

03-19-2011 23:49:09 | More by werdnacross
BrantleyJ

4.76/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow! I was pleasantly surprised by this DIPA. I picked up a few bottles from my local grocer after hearing good things about it. The hop aroma is intoxicating. If I could create an air freshener for my truck that smelled as good as Knuckle Sandwich I would. It tasted a good as it smelled, and surprisingly drinkable for a 10% beer.

03-26-2013 01:43:33 | More by BrantleyJ
jmadrigal2

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%

Got this bomber thanks to unitmosnter.
Cracked this open and didn't smell much hops. Smells like some of the IPAs my buddie has brewed. The smell is sweet like candy, piny and alcohol. Appearance is dark amber with little head, good lacing though. Since this bottle is only 2 weeks old the taste was better than I was expecting. I wouldn't let this one sit over 2 weeks though. This beer is very balanced. I get big sweetness with a bit of hops and the alcohol is apparent on the finish. I like drier IPAs myself so I wasn't really expecting to be all about this one but it was good. It was a great beer and I loved having it fresh but I don't think I would seek this out again unless it was on tap.

07-29-2011 21:16:12 | More by jmadrigal2
mrotstein

A: bit of a dark orange/yellow color

S: This is where it hits. As soon after they serve me the cup I can smell it easily from 2 feet away. Smelling of wonderful hops and floral scents

T: Very good. Not too bitter, not too malty. Just right. I can keep drinking this if it was available in a unlimited quantity in my cup

M: Not heavy, goes does very easily and doesn't over power the senses

D: Like I said, Amazing, can drink this all day

05-08-2010 20:22:07 | More by mrotstein
Ultraman9000

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

22 oz. bomber poured into a Sam Adams "perfect pint" glass.

Bomber purchased in late November/early December, following most recent bottling by Bootlegger's (and increased distribution--yay!).

A: Pours rather dark for a DIPA, an overall light caramel-brown with hints of gold around the edges. 1/2" plus of off-white foam, with bubbles fizzing up at first before beers clears up entirely (no haze evident).

S: Piney, sweet, light caramel notes evident at first; citrus notes are upfront yet hard to pin down... possibly lemon zest, pineapple-like, even peach-ey.

T: Although this is certainly a hop bomb, the hops hit the edges of the palate first, as the strong malty/caramel backbone carries more weight at first. As the beer leaves the palate, hops close in from the edges to take over and finish strong, but with an overall smooth transition of flavors.

M: While the caramel flavors create a mildly syrupy taste, this doesn't linger long as it segues smoothly into a lighter feel mid-taste (aided by the appropriate mid-high carbonation), before leaving a lingering note of biscuit and caramel drizzle.

D: Amazingly drinkable for the ABV; alcohol is hardly evident until the glass is finished and you realize that 10 oz. of this beer can catch up to you real quick. Can be drunk quickly if not careful, but also great for savoring slowly.

Overall, a delightful beer with components that should attract hop-heads and malt lovers alike. It may test the boundaries of what characterizes a DIPA, but really showcases what flavors can be combined in what some perceive as a one-trick pony kind of style. Personally, this beer single-handedly converted me from a timid hop consumer into a full-fledged DIPA fan.

01-05-2011 08:36:08 | More by Ultraman9000
MiloHoP

Pours out a orange/red, nice 2 finger head and lacing on tulip glass.

Smells like fresh fruits, pine smell, HUGE aroma on this. Nice sweet caramel smell malt on it as well.

Tastes how it smells fresh hop taste, with fruits on front with a nice balance of hops and malt backbone finish leaves you wanting more. 10% not detectable on this treat of a drink.

This is a dangerous beer for the non suspecting. Lives up to its name, drink too many its like Mike Tyson punching you in the face in his prime.

This beer belongs in the top tier of DIPA's in my opinion. Has all you want in that category and more. This is on my TOP 3 in the style, great brew Bootlegger's! Perfect score in my books.

Serving type: growler

02-25-2011 06:34:01 | More by MiloHoP
MikeytotheB

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Across the bored a great DIPA! Pretty color, nice head. Great pine, and pineapple notes on the nose. Taste follows suit with the pine and pineaple and many floral notes. If this were easily accesible for me it would be on the top of my list for must haves all the time!

09-03-2011 04:44:40 | More by MikeytotheB