Knuckle Sandwich - Bootlegger's Brewery

Knuckle SandwichKnuckle Sandwich

Bootlegger's Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: jerz on 12-14-2009)

A: bit of a dark orange/yellow color

S: This is where it hits. As soon after they serve me the cup I can smell it easily from 2 feet away. Smelling of wonderful hops and floral scents

T: Very good. Not too bitter, not too malty. Just right. I can keep drinking this if it was available in a unlimited quantity in my cup

M: Not heavy, goes does very easily and doesn't over power the senses

D: Like I said, Amazing, can drink this all day

Pours out a orange/red, nice 2 finger head and lacing on tulip glass.

Smells like fresh fruits, pine smell, HUGE aroma on this. Nice sweet caramel smell malt on it as well.

Tastes how it smells fresh hop taste, with fruits on front with a nice balance of hops and malt backbone finish leaves you wanting more. 10% not detectable on this treat of a drink.

This is a dangerous beer for the non suspecting. Lives up to its name, drink too many its like Mike Tyson punching you in the face in his prime.

This beer belongs in the top tier of DIPA's in my opinion. Has all you want in that category and more. This is on my TOP 3 in the style, great brew Bootlegger's! Perfect score in my books.

4.95/5  rDev +15.4%

Heard about the comparisons of this to PtE.

Pours amber with an inch and a half of white head. Tiny bubbles that last all day with nice lacing down the glass.

Smells of a huge hop presence. Grapefruit, orange, and pine hops. Strong caramel backbone there to hold the hops up.

Taste follows smell. This, is a perfect DIPA. Explodes with orange/grapefruit and carries into a mellow pine taste with caramel on the end. Finishes clean.

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated and moderate mouthfeel.

Drinkability is amazing for 10%. Didn't even realize it was that high.

Gives PtE a run for its money, I say that it wins.

4.95/5  rDev +15.4%

If I'm not mistaken, this is the highest I've ever rated a beer. Damn near perfect in appearance, smell, taste, mouthfeel and drinkability. Knuckle freakin' Sandwich from Bootlegger Brewery in Fullerton, CA. Thank you, Martin, for this in a trade. Thank you, me, for asking for it. Holy cow. This may be a new Top5 beer. Definitely my top IPA. And I had it side by side with Pliny the Elder.

In appearance it's a robust and deep amber that's nearly clear, with brilliant head and lacing throughout. That head smells like floral and sweet hops aromas paired with a perfect malt balance that's full of caramel. The taste begins malty caramel with hops, then the hops really take effect, and then it finishes clean. As it warms, the finish with hops bitterness becomes more evident, but it stays mild. So somehow the folks at Bootleggers have figured out how to pull out the brilliance of the citrus, pine, and floral elements of hops without having the bitterness be overwhelming. A bready character to the malts is probably part of it.

This isn't just drinkable. It's all I want. The carbonation is perfect and fills the mouth on every sip - even to the end of the bottle. Even the booze, at 10%, is in perfect balance. I don't even notice it. My adrenaline is pumping I'm so excited. I must have more.

End review. I just don't have any other words.

4.93/5  rDev +14.9%

Bottle from the most recent batch, opened 3/10/2012. Reviewed from notes.

I have different tastes in IPAs than many beer geeks; I want a balanced, rounded mixture of hops & malts instead of a sharp, aggressive hop character with a biting bitterness that lingers. If you're expecting another DIPA along the lines of Palate Wrecker or Ruination, this brew will disappoint. But that would be crazy because Knuckle Sandwich is the world's best DIPA!

Amber/golden body with creamy, white head. Its bubbles exude a heavenly aroma of hops, fruit, malt, and other delectables. More strongly juicy & fruity than most other IPAs. Makes me want to powderize the remnants, sift it into lines with a credit card, and snort the stuff directly into my cranium.

Taste is sublime! Layers of silky hops and fruits dance around my mouth. Fresh Citra hops are out in force, though the strong malt backbone keeps everything in check. Soothing hoppy bitterness blends perfectly with the alcoholic character to warm my throat as it descends, much like the boozy sensation from a good RIS. Each flavor is bright and beautiful, thanks to the freshness of this bottle. Enjoying this within a week of bottling was a good choice.

Best IPA I've ever tasted, hands down. Abner is a close second, but I currently bow before Knuckle Sammich. Need moar!

4.93/5  rDev +14.9%

into a tulip glass

A very nice amber color, with an off white kind of frothy head. pretty good retention leaving lacing around the glass.

wow when i cracked/poured it the aroma hit me right away. nice floral, citrus and piny hops balanced well with grapefruit and a malty backbone

taste fallows the nose. big citrus, floral and piny hops balanced well with grapefruit and malt

medium bodied, medium carbonated, sweet smooth and slightly creamy

overall was worth the hunt and held up to the hype. Damn good DIPA with this and citra i dont know if i would need another one

Knuckle Sandwich from Bootlegger's Brewery