Knuckle Sandwich - Bootlegger's Brewery

Knuckle SandwichKnuckle Sandwich

Bootlegger's Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: jerz on 12-14-2009)

marine1975, Oct 29, 2012

bellbw, Sep 10, 2014

jampics2, Apr 14, 2013

emaciated, Dec 20, 2011

BoRaeCho, Nov 12, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Thanks to breaks808 for the bottle. Appreciate him going out of his way to track this down before it evaporated.

Deep orange color with a light head that leaves pretty lacing. Very dark for a DIPA, which is seems like a hint of things to come.

Pleasant and pronounced floral/fruity aroma. Very different than any IPA I have experienced before. Strawberry is the dominant note that I pick up here. Smells great but very unexpected.

Fruity hops share the spotlight with a big caramel malt base. The hops show a bit of pine toward the finish.

Fuller body than most DIPA's - malty and mouth-coating.

A tasty beer. Well suited to dessert or sipping after-dinner. I think it seems more like a barleywine than a DIPA. An east-coast style DIPA from the west coast???? That is a first for me!

CliffBrake, Jan 22, 2012
3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

On tap at The Bruery Provisions store and bar. There was some buzz about this beer, where it will be on tap and the like. I found it to be a bang on DIPA, but not living up to any hype. Golden orange coloured body. Orange taste, the IBU certainly up there. Leaning on the bitterness, but still balanced. Middle bodied. What's not to like.

Sammy, Jan 20, 2012
3.73/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From 22oz bomberto Hess imperial pint glass on 1/23/12
*From notes

-- Muchos gracias, Samantha --

A: Pretty God damn dark. like an amber or fair brown ale. A standard pour yields a fluffy two finger head that sticks around. Beautiful and dense lacing rims the glass as the head slowly fades.

S: It's most certainly hoppy. The tropical, almost floral vibe on this is outstanding.

T: How the nose leads to this, I don't know. It's like two different beers, as this is much maltier then I expected. Sure it's bitter and piney, but there's minimal fruit to it. The finish is bitingly dry.

M: Above average, but not much more. The carbonation could use a bit more touch, and the overall body feels like a rough draft.

O: Not the beer I was hoping for. In fact I really don't get where the hype is coming from. The name, maybe the killer label? I don't know man. What I do know is that Knuckle Sandwich is a reasonably good beer, but with so many other DIPA options out there, I don't know if I'd track this down again.

Rhettroactive, Jan 29, 2012
3.7/5  rDev -14%

Thanks to mrmarmot for the hookup. Poured from a 650ml bottle into a Dogfish Head signature glass.

A: Deep, dark, down and dirty orange-ish amberish in color. Definitely one of the darkest DIPAs I've ever encountered. Aggressive pour led to a 1.5 finger head that dissipated quickly after pour leaving a thickish creamy ring around the top. Very excellent looking brew.

S: Piney hops with resin backbone. Very similar in the nose to Hoptimum. I loved the smell of Hoptimum so I like this as well. Malt is present but not prevalent. Just enough there to let me know.

T: Way maltier than I expected from this beer but that isn't to say it was overly malty. I also don't think it was all that old either. It had the "Knuckle Sandwich" punch in the mouth with the hops right up front followed very quickly by a sticky caramel and honey mixed malt backbone. For a big DIPA, it tried really hard to be balanced, I just was looking for it to be a hop-bomb, and it wasn't so much.

M: Medium body, limited carbonation. Creamy mouth texture, definitely bitter. No hint of the 10% alcohol like that of a Hellhound for instance.

O: A really solid DIPA. Bootlegger should be proud of their effort here, this is a very drinkable, very smooth, very balanced, very BIG DIPA. Nice work, would definitely get more if it were readily available.

suspect, May 05, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

It's hard for me to give this beer a true ranking and review as it's been so inconsistent. It used to be something I really sought out but it seems to be less and less delicious every time I try it. I thought it was just me but the other night I ordered one and commented that it was better than last time but still not what it once was. The bartender shrugged and said, "tell me about it. I hear that every time we get a keg."
Its a good beer even a very good beer but it was once a great beer.

I have very strong recollections of the searing hop aromas and flavors that dominate my nose and mouth from the time I lift the glass until a minute after I gulp. The resinous pine and tropical notes are still there but just not a pronounced as I vividly recall.

Carbonation and mouthfeel are still really good.

I'll keep drinking it and hope that this latest upswing is a sign of things to come from my boys at Bootleggers.

EchoParker, Feb 11, 2014
3.68/5  rDev -14.4%

Deep copper color with a huge fluffy white head. Great lacing.

Floral, pine, and earthy hop nose with a strong sweet malt presence.

It's too heavy on the sweet malt for my liking. It's bitter, but astringent.

Mouthfeel is heavy and good carbonation.

This was just ok to me. It's really heavy and not so crisp and clean like I normally like my IPAs.

Vonerichs, Oct 30, 2012
3.6/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a beautiful (seriously, gorgeous) dark orange with 2 fingers of white foam. The foam piles on top and lingers, coating the glass in a sticky lacing. However, it did fade - somewhat unusual for a DIPA.

Smell is a bit dissapointing for all the hype - lots of sweetness and honey malt, followed be a dollop of piney hops and a strong note of alcohol.

Taste is a lot like the nose - lots and lots of honey and malty sweetness, before finishing with bitter piney hops. Not much citrus. Reminds me a little bit of hopslam, only sweeter and not as hoppy. (I prefer hopslam)

Feel is good - medium bodied, a touch sticky, and nicely carbonated.

Overall - pretty tasty, but I don't get the hype around this one.

readbaron, Sep 14, 2011
3.59/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Color is orangey copper with generous head.

S: While I prefer more citrus forward IPA's, this one hits you with alcohol followed by a heavy malt back bone. As beer warms up a bit one gets a great bouquet of grapefruit and hoppy pine which is nice.

T: More alcohol...imbalanced for me.

M: Great carbonation and even though the ABV is high it does finish smooth with a sweet aftertaste.

O: I've had this many times and every time I revisit this DIPA I'm left thinking whats the hype. I'll blame it on my pallet but I feel there are far better styles of this beer out there.

Uncleserg, Apr 09, 2013
3.58/5  rDev -16.7%

Thanks to Chris for this one, who said it was "relatively fresh". Poured into a Cantillon tulip/snifter thingy.

A - Pours a reddish color, thin collar, some spotty whisps on top.

S - Grapefruit, alcohol, pine, dank citrus, and lots of sweetness. I'm surprised by the high level of sweetness here, and I though this would be a huge amount of hoppy bitterness. Oh well.

T - Sweet citrus, pine, large amount of malty sweetness, tropical fruits. The sweetness once again surprised me, but it was a hoppy sweetness as opposed to a huge malty sweetness. That said, I would like a little less of that and more bitter notes. This is an attempt at a HopSlam-type DIPA, but it's not really close.

M - Medium, good carbonation, pine/resin finish.

O - A solid DIPA, but not mind-blowing at all. A little too much sweetness and not enough citrus/floral hops. Too many other awesome DIPA's out there for me to worry about going back to this one any time soon. Slightly above average.

Sean9689, May 09, 2011
3.54/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

On a scale of 1 to 5, most I rate get 2.5 to 3, very few get a 4, and you have to really knock me out to get above a 4.

Appearance: Warm amber color. Medium fluffy white head, laces gently, Very clear.

Aroma: Pine, desert sage, melon skin, nopales (prickly pear cactus pads). Toasty sweetness like saltines, slightly caramel. Starchy fruit sweetness like dragonfruit.

Flavor: Predominantly resin and citrus segment skin bitterness, desert sage herbal follows, slight grassiness. Clean malt profile and invert sugar residual sweetness – similar but not quite like the residual sweetness in a big Belgian Tripel. Some booziness present, but not offensively fusel or hot – appropriate tripod balance to the hop and malt characters.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, and finishes astringent and bitter – hop oils all over the finish. Gains some slipperiness and opens fruit characters as it warms.

Overall: A very solidly made aggressive DIPA. This release (June 2013) hangs somewhere between an unbalanced west coast hop assault DIPA, and a fat malty east coast DIPA. Well done.

dfernandez77, Jan 21, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Huge thanks to BrewtifulMind for gifting this bottle to me. I've wanted to try it for quite awhile...

A: Pours a nice copper/amber with about half finger of off-white head. The foam takes a while to dissipate, but leaves great lacing on the glass as it drinks.

S: The nose has components of big citrus, malt, and flowers. It smells nice, but it's a little too sweet for my liking.

T: It starts out sweet with a nice balance between malt, hops, and booze. The bitters mellow out the malt in the middle, and the alcohol comes on strong in the finish.

M: Full bodied beer. Sweet and syrupy to start, finishes coating and boozy.

O: Good beer, but not my favorite. I'm happy to have tried it, but I don't know if I'd ever seek this out again.

trxxpaxxs, Oct 28, 2012