Knuckle Sandwich - Bootlegger's Brewery

Bootlegger's Brewery visit their website

Beer added by: jerz on 12-14-2009

Reviews: 247 | Hads: 1,042
3.53/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours a handsome dark coppery amber color. Nice head in the small Societe nonic. Plenty of lacing and a nice sudsy mouthfeel. Big flowery and resiny aroma.

The initial taste is really hot. Quite fruity followed by a searing bitterness. "Come as the fire, and burn," if there are any Methodist hop enthusiasts. The sharpness is almost painful, but this stuff is so full of fruit. Mango, pineapple, and apple juice concentrate.

This just adds yet another fiendish hop potion to the pharmacy. For those in need of a fix, here's your Daddy. From the 22 bottle bought at Liticker's in Ocean Beach.

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%

big thanks to pelican5 for this want!

a: looks like liquid brown sugar. nice two finger tall sand colored head stays till the end.

s: lots of big tropical and citrus fruits. some sugar residue and caramel malts.

t: a big citrus punch to the tastebuds. caramel notes and sugar.

m: sticky sweet, slight bitterness, good carbonation. finishes quick.

o: my biggest knock on this is the burnt sugar rediduals on the taste and mouthfeel. other than that this is fantastic!

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Tulilp glass.

A: Pours a caramel colored golden, with a finger and a half of grayish cream head. Very good retention and some lacing.

S: Hoppy pine and floral notes with a subtle caramel malt undertone.

T: Liquid caramel up front with pine hops, crystal malt, moderate sweetness, and mild bitterness and caramel malt on the finish.

M: Medium-full body and medium carbonation. Pretty smooth.

O: A solid choice for a very malt-forward and caramelly DIPA. The nose is more hoppy and balanced than the taste.

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

If there ever was a perfect beer to represent the double IPA style, for me this it is!
A - straight pour out of the bottle into my Kostritzer stemmed glass. Formed a 2 finger's width of head subsiding into a thin ring leaving some lacing on the glass. The beer itself is bordering on yellow-orange tending towards light amber in color.
S - Whoa - guava is supremely dominant. This must be a super-fresh bottle! I pick up some papaya, honeydew, grapefruit, peaches. Mind blown!
T - Taste follows smell. Initial blast of sugary sweetness completely belies 87 IBU worth of hoppy bitterness. This is like drinking straight-up fruit juice. Sort of like a guava, papaya, grapefruit punch. The sweetness gradually diminishes as the beer flows through the mouth, indicating the counteraction of the hops and dries out towards the end. At no point do you feel any unwelcome bitterness or alcohol heat. The only indication of the 10% ABV is after a couple of sips, when you feel the warmth in your chest.
M - Perfect mouthfeel. The maltiness lends some body, but the carbonation and hops play together perfectly to make the mouthfeel lighter and quaffable. This is the sort of a beer that makes you take big gulps and let it play around in your mouth before swallowing it bit-by-bit.
O - Much as I like to rate this a perfect 5 (and the beer itself is worthy of this), I must deduct a point somewhere for not putting a bottled-on date anywhere on this brew. Brewers - not everyone might be as lucky as me to land a fresh bottle, please note and help us appreciate you better!
This beer is an ode to hops. Supremely well-balanced, supremely aromatic, supremely enjoyable. Even if I may never get to try this beer again, this beer has left an indelible impression on me, and will be the new benchmark for all DIPAs to follow.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Darker orange, looks similar to a peach color.

S: Smells like heaven... smells like peach and grapefruit, hoppy

T: Tastes nearly like heaven, at the front getting grapefruit and peach and hops, followed by a malty taste.

M: Mouthfeel is great, the malts and grapefruit linger, along with the peach, i could taste this all day long...

Overall: Amazing beer, the alcohol is pretty much completely masked.

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%

Notes taken from 9/29 from the craziest bottle share that i have ever been a part of. Thanks so much to the NYC and Hoboken crew for letting me participate in this incredible day of drinking long time wants and insanity.

Thanks kindly to Mike? for sharing.

a - clear amber thing bubbly head with spotty lacing.
s - smells awesome. IPA crossed with an amber.
t - heavy butterscotch. Amber IPA.
m - a bit boozy
o - overall Amber IPA hoppy butterscotch

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

The world famous Bootknuckle Legger Sandwich shipped over the pond by Vanlingleipa. Love me some hoppy goodness. Cheers dude!

From a bomber into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a two finger, medium looking, fluffy, cream white head with very good retention. Perfectly clear burnt orange in color with slightly higher levels of carbonation for the style. A splotchy wisp and ring remains leaving some decent lacing down the glass. Good looking beer for sure.

SMELL: Bold and hoppy nose on this one. Lots of honeydew melon, pineapple, mango, and some piney goodness. Light caramel notes, but this one is mostly fruity and piney.

TASTE: Aggressively hoppy with pine notes up front, as well as an array of fruity mango, melon and pineapple into the hoppy bitter swallow. Bold and lingering finish is plenty hoppy with lots of pine, some light melon sweetness as balance, and a good dose of spicy alcohol as well. A little boozier than expected, but it works well with the piney, grassy hop bitterness. Really flavorful and enjoyable, the the fruit notes in the nose were a little outdone by the piney hops here.

PALATE: Medium body and medium levels of creamy carbonation. Smooth and oily on the palate, goes down fine with a slight bite at the swallow and finishes a touch mouth coating. Some biting bitterness and a touch of alcohol linger on the palate. Really nice feel.

OVERALL: One of my favorites in the style, and probably the best pine-forward DIPA I've had to date. While I usually prefer more citrus forward IPA's, this one delivered a great bouquet of aromas and flavors that it almost made me forget my normal preferences. A real treat, and one I'd love to drink on a regular basis. Thanks again for the beers Vanlingleipa! I hope you enjoy your package as well.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

In the long list of big hops on the West Coast this one got it really right for me. It's bested only by very very few others for me.. ( maybe 2 or 3)

It has the required huge aroma, great hop profile, a good bitterness. But what makes me fall in love with it is the balance of hop to malt. The spectrum runs the gamut from dry to really malty and as with all things subjective we all have our sweet spot and this one is right there. Just enough malt to provide a great backbone, just enough juicy sweetness without going overboard.

Mouthfeel and carbonation is also right in the range I love.

What a fantastic DIPA, glad to have finally tried it, and look forward to more and more. A growler would do me really well.

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

thanks to beachstrength49 for this one!

A: poured into a FFF Teku, it pours a deep ruby red, with about 1/2 fingers worth of head. lacing is present, but more spotty than anything.

S: awesome explosion of hops and sharp orange peel and grapefruit. the fruitiness of this brew is simply amazing. the orange reminds me of a creamsicle. pine also comes through and it sits perfectly with the rest of the brew. One of the best smelling brews I've had.

T: the malt really comes out here is the main player of the brew. The hops are still very much present, but the fruits take a back seat which I wasn't really expecting since they were so prominent in the nose. I also pick up on a slight touch of alcohol heat with some cream in the finish.

M: strong medium bodied brew, that has a fair amount of carbonation. I enjoy the sweet maltiness that is left on the palate that is complemented by a slight pine bitterness.

O: a very solid brew all the way around, and very enjoyable. Very impressed with my first offering by Bootleggers, and I wish I had access to this on a regular basis. And once again thanks Chris for sending this out to me. It was awesome.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Knuckle Sandwich
650ml Bottle purchased at Bootleggers Brewery 11/23/12
Served in a tulip Glass

A: This beer pours a nice dark amber with a 1-2 finger head with some lacing. Some alcohol legs are visible. A small head lingers.

S: Sweet citrus and pine dominate the aroma. there is no alcohol in the smell.

T: Malty pineapple flavors dominate the initial flavor profile. Some mango with a quickly dissipating bitterness finish the back end. This beer is on the sweeter side of the DIPA spectrum. This specific batch is a little more sweet and a little less hoppy than previous batches in my opinion. Even with the small variations this is a great beer.

M: This beer has a thick mouthfeel. The effervescence does help cut down the syrupy mouthfeel, but the finish is still slightly sticky.

O: This another great West Coast DIPA. Find it now. Recommended.

4.82/5  rDev +12.6%

Dark amber color with a good two fingers of off-white head. Head dissipated quickly leaving a small amount of spotty lacing. The nose on this one is big on tropical fruit and citrus. Pineapple, grapefruit, mango, sweet malts and a bit of boozy alcohol scent stand out. The taste is an intense blend of the aforementioned. A lot of succulent fruit, alcohol and a sweet, malty backbone coming through. Creamy, medium mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

One of my favorite D/IPAs. I wish this stuff was around more often.

3.24/5  rDev -24.3%

650ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a .5L New Belgium goblet (thanks Long!) in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, California. Acquired at a beer store near my work. Expectations are above average; I don't recall having anything impressive from this brewery and American-brewed IPAs often disappoint with their penchant for dicksizing IBUs and hop content. Still, I remain hopeful. 10.00% ABV confirmed.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm a bit before serving. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger beige=light khaki colour head of nice full cream, good thickness, and great retention for the high ABV. Body colour is a nontransparent somewhat dull copper-amber. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Rather dark compared to most good beers in the style that I've had. It's not looking great, but the head does impress me.

Sm: Soapy hops. Floor cleaning liquid. Floral hop character. Some buried citrus when I really dig. Dries the nostrils. Not at all appealing. It just seems like a beer that will drain the palate for no particular reason. I'm not at all excited for this. A moderately strong aroma.

T/Mf: Soapy, but with a lightly creamy pine surge towards the climax. Floral hops are rampant throughout. Some grapefruit, but also some berry towards the finish; the bright berry is unexpected but adds a dimension. Hop bitterness is well disguised, but it still dries the hell out of the mouthfeel and lends the flavour a musty character that I'm not fond of. Sort of an unwarranted scratchy coarseness. It's otherwise pleasantly wet and thick enough. Carbonation is good; no problems there. Pale and amber malts just sort of sit there, helping build a backbone and lending body but not adding anything of interest. Seems a lot more attention was paid to the hops than the malts, and they don't work all that well together as a result. Decently balanced, but then the key to this style is balance. What it does do well is hide its high ABV - which is quite an achievement at 10.00%. That said, I could guess its ABV just by its heavy presence on the palate. She does get better as she warms, with light caramelized malt and more of the berry seeping in to offer a struggle against the overbearing hops. I acclimate to the soapiness as I drink, but I doubt I'll fully get past it. The finish is a definite highlight, almost evoking a bit of nectar. It's growing on me over time, but its flaws only minimize - they do not diminish completely. No yeast comes through.

Dr: Very drinkable for the high ABV, but not a contender in this style. When you brew this style, you have to bring more to the table if you want to stay afloat. I get what they're trying to do, and it's different from most beers in the style out there. Different, yes, but not better - though I applaud the experimentation. This is one every true fan of the style should try, but don't expect a beer of impeccable balance. This is its key flaw. I look forward to trying more beers from the brewery; this really shows promise. Would I get it again? Nope.

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%

Deep copper color with a huge fluffy white head. Great lacing.

Floral, pine, and earthy hop nose with a strong sweet malt presence.

It's too heavy on the sweet malt for my liking. It's bitter, but astringent.

Mouthfeel is heavy and good carbonation.

This was just ok to me. It's really heavy and not so crisp and clean like I normally like my IPAs.

3.53/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Huge thanks to BrewtifulMind for gifting this bottle to me. I've wanted to try it for quite awhile...

A: Pours a nice copper/amber with about half finger of off-white head. The foam takes a while to dissipate, but leaves great lacing on the glass as it drinks.

S: The nose has components of big citrus, malt, and flowers. It smells nice, but it's a little too sweet for my liking.

T: It starts out sweet with a nice balance between malt, hops, and booze. The bitters mellow out the malt in the middle, and the alcohol comes on strong in the finish.

M: Full bodied beer. Sweet and syrupy to start, finishes coating and boozy.

O: Good beer, but not my favorite. I'm happy to have tried it, but I don't know if I'd ever seek this out again.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

From 10/13/12 notes. Big, big thanks to the 2 people who brought bottles of this to the NYC Top Hpos tasting; I believe brystmar brought one of the bottles. Been a Want of mine for a while.

a - Pours a deep amber-red color with one inch of off white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of fruity malts, citrus hops, grapefruit, light pine hops, tropical fruits, toasted malts, biscuit malts, and bready malts. Nice and fruity, though much more malty than I was expecting.

t - Tastes of fruity malts, pine hops, grapefruit, citru hops, tropical fruits, caramel malts, dough, and bready malts. Again, lots of fruits and malts, which is nice.

m - Medium body and low to moderate carbonation. Not a lot of bitterness to it; pretty easy to drink.

o - Overall I thought this was a very good beer, though it was super malty nowhere near as hoppy as I was expecting. Lots of fruit to it and malts, and no bitterness, which makes it easy to drink. A very good beer worth checking out, but not a hop bomb in the least, so don't expect it to be one.

4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle courtesy of Hophead84. Thanks!

A: Red shaded towards plum purple.1/2" head. Decent legs.

N: Perfect blend of fruit, pine and malt. Pineapple, mango, pine, earth floor, caramel/toffee. Lots of the tropical fruits really bumps this up for me.

T: Lots and lots of caramel and pineapple. Mango. Very sweet, but balanced out with a moderate pine and earth floor.

M: Very full. Semi dry. Alcohol is well hidden.

O: I look forward to having this every time, and I’m not disappointed. If I lived near Fullerton, I'd always have Bootlegger's beer in stock at my house.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Chilled bottle into a glass, courtesy of KevSal. Thanks, Kevin!

A: Pours a slightly hazy, dark amber body (bordering on reddish-brown) with a nice, full inch of dense beige head. It retains well and leaves some sticky lace down the sides of my pint glass.

S: I remember this being pretty malty, and the nose confirms that memory -- lots of caramel malt found here. However, this also has a prominent citrus nose that is much more powerful than I remember -- either freshness helps (the bottle is a week old from the just-released batch), or they tweaked the recipe slightly. I detect a tangerine-grapefruit-orange blend; none of the tropical notes I really enjoy in [D]IPAs, but great nonetheless. There is a touch of pine needle at times.

T: The taste is initially sweet caramel, but it segues nicely into candied grapefruit, orange, tangerine. The finish closes out with piney bitterness; I can tell it would be really bitter if it didn't have as much caramel as it does. Some exhalations reveal a light pineapple character. It's reminiscent of some Triple IPAs, which are redolent in the hop candy effect (sugar drizzled over citrus and pine) -- it's an effect that works well when the bottle or keg is really fresh, I imagine, but my experience with a slightly older or possibly oxidizing growler wasn't quite so hot. I make the latter comment because I distinctly recall these guys filling studiously to the 64oz line in their screwtop growler, which was hilarious in its cheapness and worrisome for the headspace. Bottles are presumably better; this one is.

M: There is a small sugar burn on the back end, similar to what some Triple IPAs have. It doesn't really hinder drinkability (see below), but I wish it were a bit cleaner. ABV is well-hidden. Carbonation is higher than you'd find in some comparable DIPAs; it makes the medium-plus body easier to swallow.

O: I'm really surprised at how fast I downed this. I shit you not, from start to finish it was 20 minutes. Seek it out.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Appearance- Fairly clear deep copper/amber color. Good, creamy frothy off-white head with good staying power.

Smell- Lots of caramel, malt sweetness with background of citrus. Maybe a hint of earthyiness, but it smells very fresh and inviting.

Taste- Very malty, with a lot of malt-sweetness and just enough hops to balance it out nicely. Very well balanced in all aspects.

Mouthfeel-: Medium body. A tad light on the carbonation. It's amazingly creamy, like a nitrogen charged stout.

Overall- One of the better DIPAs out there. I find most of them are too citrusy or too piney for me. This isn't the best, but it's pretty good. And I like asking for it, because the waitress balls up her tiny little hand and says "I'll give you a knuckle sandwich!". LOL

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Poured from a bomber into pint glass. Deep deep copper appearance (this is a "pale" ale?). Not a whole lot of head.

S: Caramel with background of citrus.

T: Very malt-forward for an IPA with caramel-sweet malts & orange/floral hops. Good carbonation, and hop bitterness lasts but the sweetness does also.

M: Medium mouthfeel, not too heavy.

O: I really like this, but not sure how old the bottle is - there's no bottle date or "Best by" at all. I'm wondering if it has some age on it & the hop flavor has been diminished somewhat? I would be very interested in trying a bottle I knew to be very fresh Overall still excellent either way, thoroughly enjoyed it.

hazy dark copper/brown color with a very big light tan head that sticks around a while, lacing well.

lots of grapefruit and citrus hops with some tropical fruits and some candy sweetness.

flavor starts with tropical fruit, candied fruits, grapefruit, citrus. a bit of pine. flavors are in your face, but alcohol is not harsh in the least for a 10% ABV.

medium bodied with decent carbonation and a good amount of lingering resin.

Very strong entry into the DIPA field. Nothing I haven't had before in some other beers, but a very solid in-your-face DIPA.

4.92/5  rDev +15%

Bottle from the most recent batch, opened 3/10/2012. Reviewed from notes.

I have different tastes in IPAs than many beer geeks; I want a balanced, rounded mixture of hops & malts instead of a sharp, aggressive hop character with a biting bitterness that lingers. If you're expecting another DIPA along the lines of Palate Wrecker or Ruination, this brew will disappoint. But that would be crazy because Knuckle Sandwich is the world's best DIPA!

Amber/golden body with creamy, white head. Its bubbles exude a heavenly aroma of hops, fruit, malt, and other delectables. More strongly juicy & fruity than most other IPAs. Makes me want to powderize the remnants, sift it into lines with a credit card, and snort the stuff directly into my cranium.

Taste is sublime! Layers of silky hops and fruits dance around my mouth. Fresh Citra hops are out in force, though the strong malt backbone keeps everything in check. Soothing hoppy bitterness blends perfectly with the alcoholic character to warm my throat as it descends, much like the boozy sensation from a good RIS. Each flavor is bright and beautiful, thanks to the freshness of this bottle. Enjoying this within a week of bottling was a good choice.

Best IPA I've ever tasted, hands down. Abner is a close second, but I currently bow before Knuckle Sammich. Need moar!

4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a medium-dark copper color with a very thick egg white head. Quite a bit darker than the typical DIPA.

S: Lots of citrus.

T: A unique DIPA. Loads of citrus, grapefruit, mango, and tangerine. Lots of sweetness in the form of caramel. Very little bitterness, a bit in the finish.

M: Medium, a bit above average in carbonation.

O: Interesting DIPA, tons of hop flavor and aroma with very little hop bitterness.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

bomber poured into pint glass

Pours a copper color with huge 3 finger white head. Good retention and exceptional clarity. Smell is dominated with citrus fruits. Oranges, grapefruit with plenty of hops. Taste is spot on with a nice balance of sweetness up front with a bitter finish from the hops. Amazing beer. Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Overall this is one of the better DIPA's I have had. Pretty high ABV but flavor profile hides it well.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

22oz bottle into a Ranger Creek tulp. Thanks to LadyofMuchBeer for the IP trade!

An aggressive pour lends a towering, fluffy 2" cap of light custard foam. Beneath, the beer is a deep amber hue with an iced-tea core. A bit dark for a IIPA, but still very attractive. The aroma is big, but balanced. Tropical fruit notes of mango and pineapple lead the way, followed by a hint of pine and sweet caramel-toffee malts.

Creamy malts and caramel candies lend an initial sweetness that morphs into a hefty malt backbone throughout each drink. The hops punch in mid-sip with a minty, piny bitterness and finish with a sticky resin note that mingles with tropical fruit and a flash of gummy booze. Alcohol is inconspicuously mild for the 10% ABV. Mouthfeel is chewy and borders on thick/cloying/sticky, but still goes down smooth thanks to a creamy carbonation level. Knuckle Sandwich is a sweet symphony of hops and malt--perhaps more in the strong ale/barleywine department, but I like 'em that way every now and then.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Very dark amber, approaching brown, in color. Forms a voluminous creamy off-white colored head that slowly reduces to a very think ring around the edge and leaves globs of lacing on the way down.

S: Somewhat dank. Almost musty. With lots of citrus, orange, and grapefruit.

T: Starts off with sweet malts, light sweet caramel, and a strong orange-citrus flavor. There is some subtle orange blossom floral quality and some pine as well. A little bit of alcoholic spice on the finish.

M: Medium bodied and sweet. Texture is slick, almost syrupy. Moderate bitterness. Appropriate carbonation.

O: Wow, this one was not what I was expecting. Nothing like the typical West Coast IPA style, much maltier and sweeter with lots of hops, but a restrained bitterness.

Knuckle Sandwich from Bootlegger's Brewery