Cherry Chernobyl - Bootlegger's Brewery

Cherry Chernobyl
No picture uploaded.

Bootlegger's Brewery visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  16.00% ABV

Golden Chaos aged in an oak barrel with cherries.
Reported as 11% or 16% ABV

(Beer added by: DoubleJ on 02-20-2010)
t0rin0

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

08-24-2012 02:14:09 | More by t0rin0
womencantsail

4.2/5  rDev +4%

On-tap on Bootlegger's

A: The pour is a muddy brownish red color with a small off-white head.

S: The nose offers up some very nice sweet and sour cherry aromas. There is a slight acidity to the smell, but not vinegary at all.

T: I was expecting the flavors to mimic the nose for the most part. I was pleasantly surprised that in addition to the sweet and sour cherries, there was some mild oak, tartness, and even some sweetness.

M: The body is medium to full with a moderate to low level of carbonation.

D: The alcohol is quite well hidden despite being 11%. I really enjoyed the balance of sweet and tartness this beer offered, I would welcome any future samples of this one.

02-20-2010 08:24:05 | More by womencantsail
Halcyondays

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

On-tap at Bootlegger's,

A: Pours a reddish pink with a soft white head, average retention.

S: Cherries and strawberry jam, very fruity, I like this.

T: Cherries for sure with some nice pear esters from the yeast. Mild acidity changes it up, very Belgian flavours.

M: Nowhere near as acidic as some of the sours I had today at Bootlegger's. Mild acidity, with a full smooth Belgian body.

D: I was shocked to see that this was 16% or even 11%. The beer drank very easy, no alcohol on the flavour, would have guessed 5-7% so be careful. I guess I know now why they call it Chernobyl.

05-15-2010 23:39:37 | More by Halcyondays
DoubleJ

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Cherry Chernobyl = Golden Choas + cherries + 12 months of oak barrel aging. No crazy or funky yeasts were used to make this beer. On-tap at Bootleggers, about one pint's equivalent I drank, on to the beer:

This is a dark amber colored beer, leaning towards a light violet red color. No head was formed on top, but the color is nice. Tart and sweet cherries in the aroma.

Cherry Chernobyl is a beer that grows on you as you drink it. It hits in three stages. Stage one features a sour/tart tasting beer with some vinegar. Stage two is a sweet/tart tasting beer with plenty of cherry flavor (but not overwhelming) with a little touch of oak towards the end. Stage three is when the beer is at its sweetest, yet still remains a little tart. Think sweet as it sweet cherries, not über-malty or über-sugary sweet. Oh, and there's still that lingering flavor of oak barrel. Each stage hits you depending on temperature, starting with the coldest temperature. Warmer temperatures makes this beer work out really well. Medium-heavy bodied, with small carbonation bubbles that work well with the beer. The alcohol is hidden remarkably well....one of the best alcohol maskings I've had in awhile.

I wasn't sure if I could conquer 16 ounces of this beer at first, but given a little time, I conquered. In fact, when I was done with my glass, I could have gone for another one, but I prefer to drive home safe. In small doses, it's a sour/tart beer with some potential to the consumer. In a larger quantity, you realize its potential. Great stuff!

02-20-2010 05:32:34 | More by DoubleJ
Cherry Chernobyl from Bootlegger's Brewery
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.