BrewHaHa Hop Monster - Bootlegger's Brewery

BrewHaHa Hop MonsterBrewHaHa Hop Monster

Bootlegger's Brewery visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: mhaugo on 09-04-2013

This Imperial Red Ale was a collaborative effort between three Orange County brewers; Bootlegger’s in Fullerton, Cismontane in Rancho Santa Margarita, and Tustin Brewing in Tustin.
to view more.
Ratings: 19 | Reviews: 3
4.85/5  rDev +20.9%

MY first taste caught me off guard!
MY second taste I fell in love
MY third taste took me to the moon and almost made me divorce my wife!

You know that seen on beer fest where they make the beer that has been in the family for years and with the first drink you can hear the angels singing and nothing but happy thoughts!
yeah! that is the way I feel about this beer.
Every sip got better!
Im sad to hear that this is a one time brew and wont be around long! only 3,500 cases were brewed.

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear copper with a foamy khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy swaths of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus fruit, citrus zest, and slight tropical fruit aromas. Taste is much the same with malt, caramel, and citrus zest flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and somewhat medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer with some great fruity hop aromas and flavors that make this one quite easy to drink.

4.56/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 ounce bomber decanted into a curved pint glass.
Appearance: Heavy rust color covered by a fleeting cap of bubbles. The body is perfectly crystal clear (4.5/5).
Aroma: Very unusual aroma. Passion fruit and watermelon. Tangerines and papaya.
Very tropical. No pine or heavy citrus as I was expecting (for no particular reason at all). I also think I smell hints of rye and basil, but maybe I’m making that up (4.75/5).
Taste: I don’t think I’m imagining that rye now as it really comes through in the flavor. Between the peppery rye and the basil aroma, it almost feels like I’m in a pizza place. The sweetness of the malt is brilliantly balanced by the remarkable blend of hops. There’s almost a light minty flavor in the aftertaste, along with a fading bitterness. This really is an outstanding beer (4.5/5).
Mouthfeel: Medium body, light carbonation (4.5/5).
Overall: This Imperial Red Ale was a collaborative effort between three Orange County brewers; Bootlegger’s in Fullerton, Cismontane in Rancho Santa Margarita, and Tustin Brewing in… eh, Tustin. The BrewHaHa Hop Monster was created to celebrate the 4th annual BrewHaHa, OC’s “biggest and best” craft beer festival featuring live entertainment and presentations by beer experts. The red and bitter beer was inspired by the “Hop Monster” on the label and features a collection of Galaxy, Nelson, and Citra hops. It is extremely clean and amazingly fresh. It really defied my expectations, but as I noted before, I’m not really sure what those expectations were based on. Maybe I thought I was getting a bottle of Port Brewing’s Shark Attack (also great, but very different). I don’t know. Anyway, really enjoyed it and feel luck to have had it before the actual fest, which certainly endorses its freshness (4.5/5).

to view more.