Special Forces American IPA - Crown Brewing

Beer added by: khiasmus on 04-13-2010

Ratings: 47 | Reviews: 16
Reviews by bgreg3:
3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

app- Amber color with creamy foam lacing that stays for a while. Looks like any good IPA

Smell- Tropical/apricot fruitiness backed up by sweet maltiness.

Taste- Fruity citrus comes first and then hops come and dominate. Later it is balanced by the malt. It ends on a wet hoppy note.

MF- A bit light for an IPA with nice carbonation.

Drink- Because of it's light body and good carbonation this is a very easy drinking IPA. I had to slow down!

Note- Reminds me of Alpha King's little brother. It's less bold and lighter bodied but still kicks some fuckin ass

3.92/5  rDev +5.1%

A decent IPA, thanks Jon. Cloudy golden with a bubbly head. Some hops in aroma. Smooth drinker with a decent citrus taste. Understated carbonation. enough big bitterness to bea tad astringent and an aftertaste of apple juice and orange juice.Overall an average IPA, but something different in the style.

3.63/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from 22oz bottle. Red wax covering the top. Thanks to Luke (Lukafer) for picking me up a bottle of this!

A- Pours a clear dark amber color. One finger dirty white head that stays there for a little while before dying to just a cap on the top of the beer. Light ringing lacing as I drank it down.

S- More of the malt background comes through in the aroma with some light bitter piney hops in the backing. Some light spicing I think in there too but I can't put my figner on it.

T- Bitter hops come into the front end of this beer. Middle of the road bready caramel malts in the middle with that spicey taste I smelled earlier. Some light bitter hopping in the background sums the taste up with this beer.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little on the light side for me. This makes the beer kind of just sit in the mouth. Light bready malts left on the palate with some bitter hops lingering into the aftertaste. Flavors just bland but it somehow works for the beer.

D- This is a average drinkable IPA. Nothing wrong with it but there is nothing that makes it burst out of the run of the mill IPA's. Glad I got to try this and will re-try another bottle when I come across it again.

3.77/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

"Special Forces IPA" Julian date "1147" printed on bottom of bottle.

Dark color, deep burnished copper orange, slightly hazy. Very thin layer of foam, creamy with irregular peaks of larger bubbles throughout. Thick drippy lacing on the opposite side of the glass.

Sweet tropical fruits, dried papaya, cantaloupe, candied orange. Rich and resiny hop aroma, hope the taste follows suit.

Flavors are overwhelmingly malty and nutty. A very specific toasted specialty malt that throws off some cocoa, walnut, and savory grain flavors. Interesting, but out of place for an IPA, unless it's intended as an English IPA (possible). Full bodied, very malty, residual bitterness that lingers for a long while. Some dried fruit, puffed wheat or barley cereal grains, earthy bitter hops that linger in the background.

Objectively it's enjoyable, it has a bit of odd toasted malt complexity that defines the flavor and even the color. Not going to nitpick the style, don't really care to be honest. It's good, but an acquired taste, and likely not what anyone thinking "American IPA" might expect. To be fair, it doesn't say "American IPA" anywhere on the label (anymore), or on their website.

3.58/5  rDev -4%

Thanks to Laura for this one.

A: Giant three finger head that dissipates to a thick one finger foam. Dark, cloudy, amber/copper. Much darker than I was expecting an IPA to be. Kinda looks like a homebrew. Methinks this is going to be a maltier IPA.

S: The smell is a sharp citrus rind mixed with hints of grassiness and herbs. Some pine resin comes through at the end. Almost like someone put a lemon peel in a blender with grass and pine needles from the yard. As it warms, some caramel malt comes through, making the overall smell a bit musty.

T: Whoa that is bitter. Pine and citrus hop punch in the mouth that dissipates into a bitter resin astringent taste. I like big piney and citrus IPAs but this took me a bit off guard. Not getting much else. Not unpleasant but needs more balance.

M: Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. Coats the tongue with a layer of bitterness.

O: After pouring and smelling the beer, I was not looking forward to drinking it. I was pleasantly surprised by the taste but the pineyness is just too much without other tropical/floral/malt tastes balancing it out. The mouthfeel is great and would drink easy if the taste were better. Glad to try it and would revisit if local. However, won't seek out.

3.68/5  rDev -1.3%

22 ounce bottle into pint glass; no bottle dating, but was purchased recently. Pours slightly hazy reddish orange color with a nice 1-2 finger dense off white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings to the glass. Aromas of caramel, grapefruit, orange zest, mango, pineapple, toast, bread, slight pine, floral, grass, and light herbal spiciness. Nice and pleasant aromas with a good balance of malt/hop aromas. Taste of caramel, grapefruit, orange, pine, bread, light mango, pineapple, floral, grass, bread, toast, and herbal spiciness. Fair amount of herbal bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of caramel, citrus, pine, grass, floral, tropical fruits, toast, bread, and herbal spiciness on the finish for a bit. Good complexity of hop flavors and very balanced between bitterness/sweetness; with almost zero cloying flavors present after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very creamy and lightly sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with nearly zero warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a nice IPA. Some nice hop flavor complexity with a very balanced malt backbone; and very smooth to drink. I enjoyed this quite a bit.

4.33/5  rDev +16.1%

Picked up a growler for $8 on the Wednesday night special.

A: Much more amber than most IPAs I've had; but it matches the rich flavor to follow. 1 finger of off-white head with descent lacing throughout the entire session.

S: Mostly piney in the nose, a little bit of sweet malty notes. I pick up a little bit of 'fruity' almost apricot notes.

T: Much more balance between the pine-citrus hops and sweet malt in the taste at first, but the bitter hops sticks around through the back of the tongue and stays around for a while.

M: Its pretty smooth in the mouth for an IPA with 'medium' carbonation. It coats the mouth more than I would have expected.

Overall, it is a solid IPA. I think it will be in my refrigerator pretty regularly from now on. Especially since the brewery is about 2 miles from my house and I can capitalize on their growler specials.

4.4/5  rDev +18%

Poured an excellent copper color with nice head and decent lacing. Very nice scent, with a nice malty sweet backbone and a very nice citrusy hop aroma. Excellent flavor, with a wonderful deep malt backing to a great citrus flavor; excellent citrus and floral finish. Goes down well, a very nice IPA. (On tap at Tomlinson Tap Room)

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a copper-orange colour with small white head. Tons of hops in the smell, little bit of pine. Lots of sweet caramel malt too. Flavour seems to be a bit lighter than the smell, but still nice. Very light on the carbonation, which huts the mouthfeel.

4.6/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured agressively from my growler into a pint glass right now.

A-Hazy coppery golden color with foam cascading down the glass, leaving a soapy 3 fingered lght brown head. Sticky lacing recorded every sip of this ale.

S-Fairly strong piny and citrusy aroma.

T-Beginning was spicy sweet with a creamy carbonation. Middle had good malt body with bitterness of pine and apricots. Finish piney and dry.

M-Creamy moderate mouthfeel.

D-I think this ale has excellent drinkability for an IPA. More balanced than most hop bombs but plenty of bite to please. At 2 bucks/16 oz on a Friday refill a superb value. My refrigerator beer.

3.57/5  rDev -4.3%

Tryed at a Brew Fest

A= Poured a cloudy golden color a little hazy. It had a decent head on it.

S= It was really well-balanced I thought it had enough hops to but was really well balanced with the malt.

T= To me I thought the taste was really good. It started off with a good strong floral hops with a pretty strong malt backbone.

M= To me this beer has a nice hoppy taste not to overpowering but pretty decent taste by this brewery. Nice IPA but not the best one I've had.

D= Pretty easy for me but I'm a "HopHead" pretty low ABV than I'm use to so I'm sure I could drink plenty of these. I'm sure the price is also right for this one. Pretty Solid beer from this brewery.

3.2/5  rDev -14.2%

Presentation in a waxed (?) 22 oz bottle with a sick-ass label of a skull with a crown. Still, it only pours a deep amber with little head and great clarity.
We're gonna cry tonight, It's tired. A long time gone tonight, you know. We've been here, wasting away again, our lives falling apart after all and we simply stay attempting to enjoy...
There's some ammonia there, there in the corner, coming to the nostrils, cheesy hops, a sweet light spice, maybe we got off a little to soon... We should have waited till exit 17 or 18, this exit 16 shit is far too spicy and bitter, even a hint of ginger there...
And we careen through the cool dark air...
Why can't we? Where's our balance? We're bitter. Life has been cruel to us. It leaves a bitter taste in our mouths. It leaves a ginger-spice on the tongue and a bitterness in the mouth.. and the drool comes out of our mouths as we pass out halfway through the trip as we careen through the night air...
Airy, the air rushes through our teeth, light, bubbly, and dry... it lingers, the bitterness, the darkness in our hearts, the darkness of the cool night air as we careen through the darkness, the wobbling of the car in the darkness, as we hold each other and careen through the dark, cool air...
And we can drink it. But it won't get us anywhere. It's ok, really. Really ok. But not great. Imbalanced, a dark night.

3.7/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours an exceptionally cloudy golden color with a slight white head that didn't do much for me.

S - Reasonably hoppy but well balanced with malt. A very solid but average ipa.

T - Strong floral taste hits first, followed by a bittering hop then chased down with smooth malt.

M/D - Mouthfeel is reasonably pleasant slight hop bite. Average drinkability for an IPA. Solid example of the style but nothing life changing

3.95/5  rDev +5.9%

I picked up a bomber at Wise Guys last week, 22oz with red wax, $6.99 if I remember correctly. At first I thought it was from FFF, as it was next to Dreadnaught and some others, also the label looks kind of FFF-ish, with a crowned skull and wings. Wicked.

The beer pours darker than many IPA's, dark orangy-amber and clear, lots of foam of spitty consistency, a bit of lacing too. The first whiff gives me a little pause, some caramel-like malt, but deeper inhales show off the pine needles I was looking for. It tastes decidedly bitter right from the start, the caramel in the aroma not really giving much sweet counterpoint to the hops flavors. Sort of peppery hops in the aftertaste, actually a nice aftertaste of pine astringency.

Medium carbonation and body, my personal tastes run towards a light body but still this was OK. My final verdict is that this is a passable everyday IPA, definitely decent and worth the cost. Probably a better match for 6-pack packaging though.

2.83/5  rDev -24.1%

6oz pour from the brewpub.

A - Pours a clear orange with just a bit of haze. Minimal white head with little lacing. Average.
S - Bitter hops, very flowery. Not much else.
T - Hops. Bland, overly bitter hops. No complexity or malt backbone to speak of.
M - Medium body, falls flat.
D - Low. Again. Too much hop bitterness and a lack of any real flavor/complexity make this tough to finish.

Overall - Slightly better than their double ipa, but still one to avoid. Our armed forces deserve MUCH better than this. A great tribute with an AWFUL beer.

2.86/5  rDev -23.3%

This is their flagship. The beer they bottle.

The beer menu makes a big deal out of telling you that it's hopped seven times during the boil. The result is an intriguing mess of at least 4 different American hop styles: the aroma smacks of potpurri, grass clippings, and dried oregano.

The flavor starst intriguing, but gets kind of lame near the middle. As the beer warms, the strangely savory oregano nodes take over, and I began to wish that the malt did more to assert itself and balance things out.

Special Forces American IPA from Crown Brewing