Winter Warlock - Crown Brewing

Indiana, United States

Winter Warmer |  7.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2011

3.9/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The color is a gorgeous brown red with a little cream colored head that clears up quickly. No lacing is left on the glass.

The aroma is full of clove and ginger snap. I also detect a little bit of hearty bread.

The flavor is great with just enough spice to make you aware. The taste is very similar to the nose: some clove, possibly cardamom, and ginger snap cookie. The spice has a nice balance with the malt flavors which are like bread with molasses.

The feel is medium and slick. I don't feel any carbonation.

Overall, this warmer tastes great. I love that it reminds me of eating a ginger snap cookie, but is not sweet. The fact that I can taste the malt backbone is awesome, i.e. excellent balance. The malt backbone is reminiscent of a great brown ale. I would like to see some more head retention and feel some more carbonation.

4.16/5  rDev +3.5%

I have had this on-tap several times at the brewery. In terms of winter warmers, it may be my favorite to date. I could easily drink this beer year-round.

Served in a pint glass, the warmer is a brown color with a reddish tint. Bearing only a slight head, the aroma is a bouquet of cloves and cinnamon. The taste follows though on this promise. The initial taste has strong notes of cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg. The spices do not hide the maltiness of the beer which shines thoughout the taste. In the aftertaste, the flavor yields to a tart and somewhat sour cinnamon tang. This is probably the best beer Crown has made to date aside from the barrel aged lines. Very drinkable!

4.3/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had Winter Warlock warm, and I think that it would have been perfect had it been served cool. The malt was roasted until very dark, which is why the color is so dark, but instead of being bitter like some malty beers can be, Winter Warlock was semi-sweet. It had a fabulous coating in my mouth that made me think of winter. I love winter beers and this was such a great example of a winter beer. Definitely had chocolate and coffee notes, but remained well balanced.

Winter Warlock from Crown Brewing
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.