Invasion - Black Market Brewing Co.

InvasionInvasion

Black Market Brewing Co. visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  9.90% ABV

Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 02-18-2013

Ratings: 19 | Reviews: 7
3.53/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle I brought to share at mhksuccess' tasting.

Pours a murky orange-red with a foamy tan head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy swaths of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, herbal hops, and rubbing alcohol. Taste is much the same with an alcohol kick on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a smell that is initially harsh but gets better as the beer warms up.

3.82/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

22oz bottle. Now the subversive theme is going all Men in Black, with a label imagery that depicts the supplying of a waiting UFO. Not to mention the apparent punny use of the word 'craft' in the description.

This beer pours a clear, dark red-brick amber colour, with two chubby fingers of puffy, loosely foamy, and rather bubbly beige head, which leaves some streaky, melting limestone cliff lace around the glass as it quickly abates.

It smells of biscuity caramel malt, muddled dark orchard fruit, bitter orange and red grapefruit pith, a bit of doughy yeast, a touch of grassy herbal tincture, and lurking steely alcohol. The taste is grainy, bready caramel malt, mildly tart stonefruit, still active, and edgy yeast, weak citrus peel notes, a seemingly lost at sea pine needle astringency, and the same hovering, threatening boozy heat that you might recognize from such things as, you know, all along.

The bubbles are fairly supportive in both their quotidian and entertainment-based duties, the body a sturdy medium weight, and mostly smooth, with a nascent full-on creaminess, yeah, but for that pesky, and stalker-like alcohol, heh, 'warmth'. It finishes on the far sweet side, natch, the big and varied caramelized malt going the Godzilla route in its swatting away of the mere hop mortals.

A decently boozy and sort of hopped-up red ale, as is the wont of west coast brewers currently searching for the next big thing. Works for me, I guess, as a young-seeming bastard child (a metaphor with an inherent redundancy, I know) of Americanized barleywine and IPA - the alcohol kind of the wildcard that probably determines one's overall yea or nay vote here.

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Handsome red-gold color with plenty of creamy foam along the glass. Medium body with a sprightly mouthfeel. Scent of honey and tangerines.

The huge malty flavor is quite pleasant. It's two-thirds of the way to being a Barley Wine. Loads of hops but the emphasis seems to be on the aromatics. More flavors of orange and some toasted malt. A winey sensation and the flavors keep reminding me of a muscat wine. Tastes strongly of alcohol, but in a pleasant liqueur way. This doesn't have much in common with most in the Red or Amber style but it's quite an intriquing and fruity Imperial Oddity.

From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido, gateway to Temecula.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

While many of the other Black Market selections I've found to be uninspiring and the norm rather than the exception, I've found the Invasion Imperial Red Ale to be something of a flagship to what I look for in a craft beer. There is a large amount of flavor that begins coming out halfway through the bottle. Initially a strong hit of alcohol and bitter-red-stab of the "imperial" part of this beer might turn you off. Once the flavor becomes apparent the strength of the beer in no way feels as if it sits at almost 10% like I've found many imperial IPAs. Lots of floral hops and fruit (perhaps some cherries) leave what almost certainly should be the staple of all reds in the palate. Pair with some BBQ chicken on a late summer day for an excellent meal.

4.13/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

bottle into a fw tulip.

dark red color, nice looking head.

malty aroma.. some hops. lots of malts on the smell as well as on the taste. but its also hoppy and has this interesting taste I can't quite put my finger on. but I really dig it. full bodied, medium carbonation.

overall I really dig it. recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Served from a 22 oz bottle

Appearance- rich reddish amber, decent head that lingered, some residual yeast at the end gave it a dirty-ish look
Smell - good aroma, malty and very hoppy
Taste - at first it was nothing special, but as it warmed it really rose to the occasion. IT was caramelly, with hints of fruit, and a hoppy slightly bitter finish, it had all the tastes except salty
Mouthfeel was great as well, especially at around 60 degrees, very smooth and lightly carbonated

A fantastic beverage, glad i have a few more saved

I enjoyed this beer with the film Go West (a buster Keaton film.) I began with the bottle as the film began. It left a unique taste. I had never had a beer of the red ale types. I really enjoyed the beers taste. At first sip I could tell how strong it was. Not in a heavy alcohol taste more in a wow I better pace myself with this one. The more the film progressed the less the bottle contained. By the end I was left sitting on the couch confused when I say a man in a cow suit being chased by cows down the city streets. I was finished with the beer by that point. The film ended. I struggled to change the film. I was able to change the movie to a documentary about prohibition. Then everything went dark. I had blacked out. I woke up 3 hours later in the same position with the tv turned off and the Xbox off and the dogs put to bed. Everything was not that way when I was awake. I was left scared and confused. I am not saying dont drink this. What I am saying to you is share or pace yourself better because I am a lightweight and I had an interesting night.

The beer was really great as an overall beverage. They crafted a great drink. I recommend this drink.

Invasion from Black Market Brewing Co.