Snake Handler Double IPA - Good People Brewing Company

Snake Handler Double IPASnake Handler Double IPA

Good People Brewing Company visit their website
Alabama, United States

Beer added by: ddarden on 05-30-2009

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 395 | Reviews: 102
Reviews by jczn:
4.75/5  rDev +11%

3.38/5  rDev -21%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Sigh . . . Must have gotten my hands on an old can. Way to malty. If this can is anywhere close to being fresh I am having trouble seeing this being a world-class beer.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

I've been searching for the next big DIPA that truly satisfies my taste buds, and I have found one finally. I was skeptical of this beer because it's not from the northeast or California. My initial question was, "can a brewery in Alabama really put out a dynamic DIPA that is juicy, full of hop goodness, and hit my palate like a runaway train?" Surely not. Surely all those good ratings and reviews I see are from homers that just want to support their local brewery.

I was proved wrong. This beer is very smooth and it's everything I want in a DIPA. It's got a nice, subtle malt backbone that is present, but it doesn't overwhelm you like a lot of breweries versions of a DIPA. I do sense the caramel and biscuit notes coming through softly. As I finished my first sip the 5 varieties of hops smacked me in the face like they are supposed to. There was a lot of pine, citrus, and hint of pineapple coming through on this beer. It's very nice. A lot of people like to use the word balance when describing beer. To me, this beer balances everything quite nice.

According to the website, it's now over 10% ABV, instead of the 9.3 listed, and 100+ Ibu's. If you're not wanting a hop lover's beer, don't buy this. I understand it's not for everyone. But, for the hop heads, we all should rejoice. I feel ashamed I have never searched out this beer before now. I was really missing out.

4.01/5  rDev -6.3%

The beer comes in a rich red orange.

The aroma hits with a pop of sweetness and big resinous qualities and pine.

The flavor follows with pine, resinous hops, grapefruit, and a touch of pineapple surrounded by a big malty character and some caramel sweetness. The beer is heavy and full on the bitterness on the finish.

Clean, but the maltiness and bitterness drags down the beer a good amount. Reminds me towards older recipes like Odell Myrcenary and Hopslam.

4.74/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Orangy amber in color with lots or whitish creamy head. Great lacing and persistent head. Aroma is caramel and some hoP bitterness. Taste is about the same with some orangey citrus. Medium body, high carbonation. Good brew. I'd drink this again, but not go out if my way for it.

4.04/5  rDev -5.6%

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

3.42/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Can (2013)

Thanks for opening this with me, DarthKostrizer!

Clear dark copper and amber. Fairly large near-white head. Fairly sticky.

Some tropical and pine notes in the aroma along with some sweet malt caramel as well.

Sweet IPA, with decent amount of hop bitterness, and a little bit of sticky pine. A touch of alcohol presence. A hint of citrus character.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. Big and sticky.

Decent, but nothing to seek out again.

2.75/5  rDev -35.7%

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%

Growler shared by unclejedi - thanks!

Pours a deep copper color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells very good - robust caramel and pale malt aromas serve as a backbone to loads of citrus and tropical fruit hop notes.

Tastes good. Caramel malt flavors start things off before making way for good amounts of citrus and milder amounts of tropical fruit flavors. The hops fade surprisingly quickly and muddled malt flavors take over and carry through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall I was all set for this one to blow me away after getting my nose over the glass however the malt flavors didn't seem to agree with the rest of what was going on. Still, a good beer but with a few tweaks it could be great.

4.24/5  rDev -0.9%

4.75/5  rDev +11%

Delicious beer with a beautiful body

3.79/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.59/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Let me prefix this review by saying that, although I am from Alabama, I am not some bandwagon beer rater. I will fairly rate ANY and EVERY beer I taste regardless if where it is brewed.

Poured from a 12oz can into a tulip glass.

Pours a semi-hazy copper color with a huge off-white head with great retention and lacing. If you see people complaining about lack of lacing or head, they either poured wrong or didnt get it fresh. This pours perfectly.

Smells like fresh apricots at first. After a few more smells I pick up grapefruit. Some alcohol. Pine notes and some musty hops but very VERY fresh.

Taste is amazing. I'm not an IPA guy. And this is my first double IPA but WOW. Perfectly balanced. Fresh grapefruit at first and then the hops begin to take over. Piney, citrus hops. Resin and pine is alll finish. Alcohol is noted, but not overbearing at all.

Perfectly carbonated. Resin really coats the mouth and leaves that pine feel and taste in the back of the throat.

This beer is great. Would definitely buy again and will. Really took for granted how readily available this is when it ships but man, this is such a great beer. Well worth the try.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Snake Handler Double IPA from Good People Brewing Company