Hitchhiker - Good People Brewing Company

Good People Brewing Company visit their website
Alabama, United States

Beer added by: Bonhoeffer on 07-09-2010

A far cry from our original IPA, The Hitchhiker is a big floral/citrus American IPA. Aromas and flavors of pineapple, grapefruit, orange, and tangerines take center stage with a tad bit of caramel malt backbone to balance just a bit. A very dry finish with hops flavors lingering...this one is for the hopheads.

Reviews by KMitch:

4.45/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.82/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.84/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Just had this again for the second time. The first time I was a little underwhelmed, but this is truly a work of art for this brewery. The hop flavor is full frontal and brutal and absolutely deliciously punishing. I really feel like I am in IPA heaven drinking this one. I really hope they start canning this so more people can experience it.

3.75/5  rDev -17%

4.14/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured on draft at local pizza place.

A: Clear light yellow. Small one finger head that dissipated quickly but left plenty of lacing.

S: Pine and floral hops. Pineapple, grapefruit, lemon, and orange.

T: Tons of big hops with a combination of floral and earthy notes. Balanced extremely well with malt backbone. Probably the easiest drinking 120+ IBU beer I've tried.

M: Light body with a very crisp dry finish.

O: Hop head delight. Tons of big hops but an approachable IPA.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

3.73/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.59/5  rDev +1.5%

I love GPBC's approach at this american IPA with a west coast push. I thoroughly enjoyed this brew. I love the citrusy, pineapple hints and the bitterness. I thought the brew was refreshing and at the same time had enough piney notes that went well with the smoothness. Not much malt backbone which I also liked. Most definitely worth seeking out.

4.59/5  rDev +1.5%

This is a very good IPA. It was complex, tasty, and dry. But mostly it was hoppy. This was a hop head's dream. Citrusy and dank. There were all kinds of hops in this one. The chalkboard at the taproom just said 100+. My kind of beer.

The smell was almost overwhelming. Tons of fruity, citrusy aroma balanced not with malty sweetness, but with more hoppy dankness.

The flavor was very similar. The citrus orange and pineapple flavor hit your tongue first and then give way some earthy dankness. Very little malt backbone, just enough. This is definitely a showcase of hops.

It's nice and dry on the tongue, making you want another.

I really enjoyed this beer. But if you don't love hops, be warned

4.25/5  rDev -6%

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

One of my favorites beers. I wish Good People would crank this thing out incessantly. Give me the Hitch Hiker can. I'd stop and pick it up.

I've had this beer numerous times, even way back when it was called the Hippie IPA. It is a dynamite West Coasty, citrus bomb.

Had it again recently on-tap at the J. Clyde during their anniversary week.

Pours a nice hazy orange you can't quite see through. Beautiful foamy white head rests nicely on top. Head stuck around for a little bit before giving way to some nice sticky lacing.

I want an air-freshener clone of this beer. It smells like rainbows (coincidentally rainbows smell a lot like oranges and pineapple).

Great citrus notes on this guy. It is a great, hop forward single IPA. Pineapple, orange, and grapefruit really shine through, but just enough malty backbone to keep this hop bomb in check. Alcohol is incorporated beautifully, so subtle you can barely tell it's there.

This is one refreshing brew. You'll be ordering another before the one you have is gone. Crisp and effervescent like sprite, but big and bold enough to let you know this beer is for real.

Overall, this is my favorite Good People offering, and one of my favorite IPAs in the world. If you ever see this beauty on tap, do yourself a favor and order one.

3.75/5  rDev -17%

4.88/5  rDev +8%

Unbelievable beer! Finally got a growler from Highland Package Store in Birmingham. I believe this is a very fresh keg.

Appearance: Deep cloudy orange color. Can't see through it. I knew by looking at it that this was going to be a great beer.

Aroma: Great aroma, but not as pungent as some other IPA's. I can't name the hops by smell, but it's really a terrific aroma.

Taste: Very complex to me. Hints of orange & clove. Slight hint of alcohol, but subtle. So, so good.

Mouthful: Very smooth in my opinion. A little sharp hop feel in the back of the throat (of course), but still smooth nonetheless. Very pleasing aftertaste that frankly cries out for another sip.

Drinkability: Yes! Very drinkable. I could drink gallons of this.

I've been on the IPA kick for about two years now - still a novice by most accounts. I haven't had the opportunity to taste most of the great IPAs listed on this site. But this is an exceptional beer, and I think most experts would agree. It's balanced, flavorful, smooth yet sharp. It's a perfect blend in my opinion. My favorite for the time being, and I only live a few miles from the brewery!

4.49/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

4.03/5  rDev -10.8%

Had this beer at J Clyde's in Birmingham on September 4th. Enjoyed it while watching the first Alabama game of the year with my dad. I typed up these notes and e-mailed them to myself so I could post this. Poured into a standard pint glass.

A - orange body with a bit of haze. White head. Good deal of lacing

S - hints of citrus hops with a bit of sweetness

T - grapefruit bomb. Big citrus hop flavor with a solid malt backbone in the finish

M - medium bodied with a light carbonation.

D - pretty drinkable. I could see someone who likes two hearted to also like this one. Solid IPA. Not what id expect to find in Alabama.

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -6%