Hitchhiker - Good People Brewing Company

Hitchhiker
No picture uploaded.

Good People Brewing Company visit their website
Alabama, United States

A far cry from our original IPA, The Hitchhiker is a big floral/citrus American IPA. Aromas and flavors of pineapple, grapefruit, orange, and tangerines take center stage with a tad bit of caramel malt backbone to balance just a bit. A very dry finish with hops flavors lingering...this one is for the hopheads.

(Beer added by: Bonhoeffer on 07-09-2010)
3.5/5  rDev -21.3%

Llamameister, Jan 02, 2014

markjarema11, Mar 30, 2014

Eric15, Jan 02, 2014

Buff0910, Jul 27, 2013
4.93/5  rDev +10.8%

There are too many IPAs on the market. In my opinion. And the problem is that many of them seem like they were phoned in. Throw some crystal malt in the mash, some Cascade in the kettle, hit 7ish ABV and 50ish IBU and call it a day. I've lost track of how many IPAs seem to be brewed like that. Why bother?

Hippie IPA is the antidote to the blah phoned-in IPAs that seem to be everywhere these days, and it exemplifies what is great about Good People Brewing. This is Malone's third IPA in just over 2 years of operation. And he hasn't even started bottling or canning yet.

A good American IPA should be outrageously excessive with hops. It should be so heavy on very late hop additions that the hop oils coat every square millimeter of your mouth and cling to your tastebuds, barely cleaned off by the alcohol. Sure it should have sufficient bitterness to achieve balance with a generous malt backbone, but the hops' greatest work should not be in the form of bitterness, but intense, palate-destroying flavor (and aroma). You should be overwhelmed with grapefruit, tangerine, peach, and other citrus notes.

That is Hippie. The aroma bowls you over and you instantly know no holds were barred on late hop additions and dry hops. And the flavor lives up to the aroma, exploding with the previously-mentioned spectrum of Greatest Hits of American citrus hop flavor. I've heard Columbus and Simcoe are the dominant hops.

The late hop flavor here contributes a perceived sweetness, but there is plenty of underlying bitterness to keep anything from getting cloying. ABV is just about ideal for a good IPA at around 7 1/2 percent, making the flavors pop but not getting too hot.

This is without question one of the top IPAs in the country now. It blows Two Hearted out of the water. It at least deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Pliny the Elder, although I'd need to have them side by side to really judge the superior beer. Never had the Younger myself, so couldn't comment on that one.

And I've heard we can expect this in cans once their canning line arrives later this year. Mmmm.

Bonhoeffer, Jul 09, 2010

RocketCityVol, Mar 31, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +6.7%

Plonk, May 29, 2013

CowboyRob, Apr 16, 2014

Chrash16, Aug 19, 2013

immobileman, Sep 10, 2013
4.58/5  rDev +2.9%

I love GPBC's approach at this american IPA with a west coast push. I thoroughly enjoyed this brew. I love the citrusy, pineapple hints and the bitterness. I thought the brew was refreshing and at the same time had enough piney notes that went well with the smoothness. Not much malt backbone which I also liked. Most definitely worth seeking out.

Cheers

Huntbuc, Mar 30, 2012

djkrause, Jan 06, 2013

Dub12588, Jun 30, 2014

TJK, Nov 14, 2013

Listen up hopsters, Zarathustra thus spake

We gotta new brew and it’s meaner than Snake

It’s  chewy and dank, and you’re gonna remember us

Grab an umbrella, it’s a humulo-nimbus

It’s wreckin’ yo palette and it’s dripping with oil,

We call in the harvest when we’re ready to boil

But Hitch is a beast, and we’ll need a plantation

Al Gore’ll be bitchin’ bout the deforestation

Don’t come talkin’ to me bout a hoppy aroma

The fumes off of Hitch put yo ass in a coma

I’m two pints in, it’s gettin’ harder to breathe

Tangerines and pineapple are rottin’ my teeth

Don’t know what to do with all the flowers and funk

Fiddy-leven IBUs, I think I’ll be in my bunk

All the hombrewers, haters, and the sucker MCs

Comin’ to the bar, sayin’ “Hitchhiker, please”

BenSelf, Mar 20, 2012

jczn, May 06, 2013

BLC11, May 19, 2014

PALMEJ1, May 14, 2013
4.93/5  rDev +10.8%

One of my favorites beers. I wish Good People would crank this thing out incessantly. Give me the Hitch Hiker can. I'd stop and pick it up.

I've had this beer numerous times, even way back when it was called the Hippie IPA. It is a dynamite West Coasty, citrus bomb.

Had it again recently on-tap at the J. Clyde during their anniversary week.

Pours a nice hazy orange you can't quite see through. Beautiful foamy white head rests nicely on top. Head stuck around for a little bit before giving way to some nice sticky lacing.

I want an air-freshener clone of this beer. It smells like rainbows (coincidentally rainbows smell a lot like oranges and pineapple).

Great citrus notes on this guy. It is a great, hop forward single IPA. Pineapple, orange, and grapefruit really shine through, but just enough malty backbone to keep this hop bomb in check. Alcohol is incorporated beautifully, so subtle you can barely tell it's there.

This is one refreshing brew. You'll be ordering another before the one you have is gone. Crisp and effervescent like sprite, but big and bold enough to let you know this beer is for real.

Overall, this is my favorite Good People offering, and one of my favorite IPAs in the world. If you ever see this beauty on tap, do yourself a favor and order one.

CaskBeerouac, May 08, 2011