Hitchhiker - Good People Brewing Company

Hitchhiker
No picture uploaded.

Good People Brewing Company visit their website
Alabama, United States

A far cry from our original IPA, The Hitchhiker is a big floral/citrus American IPA. Aromas and flavors of pineapple, grapefruit, orange, and tangerines take center stage with a tad bit of caramel malt backbone to balance just a bit. A very dry finish with hops flavors lingering...this one is for the hopheads.

(Beer added by: Bonhoeffer on 07-09-2010)

4.89/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served on tap into a plastic cup (!) at the taproom on 5/5/13. Despite the plastic cup, this beer looked very pretty. It was a deep brassy orange like a ripe cantaloupe. There was 3cm of thick off-white, frothy head that left thick cob-webs of lacing all over the cup. The nose on this thing really was a highlight of the beer. The smell was bright and effervescent with tons of citrus and tropical fruits highlighted by the ever-present grapefruit along with orange, tangerine, and maybe some touch of pineapple. There was a slight smell of caramel malt in the background as well, but this is definitely not a beer with a hefty malt profile. The taste was pure west coast IPA with tons of citrus hops. The malt side was very muted, but there with some caramel sweetness. This beer was a big, gorgeous buffet of grapefruit, lemon oil, and some tropical notes; maybe the pineapple again, but it was very hard to pin down on my palate. The mouthfeel was medium bodied and quite dry with pretty much no alcohol burn. The bitterness was very smooth and not overly astringent or abrasive. This was a very well done beer. The bartender told me that it was a freshly tapped keg, and I think the freshness of the beer really made it such a good beer. There really is something to say about a beer that is well done and very fresh.

3.5/5  rDev -21.2%

4.93/5  rDev +11%

There are too many IPAs on the market. In my opinion. And the problem is that many of them seem like they were phoned in. Throw some crystal malt in the mash, some Cascade in the kettle, hit 7ish ABV and 50ish IBU and call it a day. I've lost track of how many IPAs seem to be brewed like that. Why bother?

Hippie IPA is the antidote to the blah phoned-in IPAs that seem to be everywhere these days, and it exemplifies what is great about Good People Brewing. This is Malone's third IPA in just over 2 years of operation. And he hasn't even started bottling or canning yet.

A good American IPA should be outrageously excessive with hops. It should be so heavy on very late hop additions that the hop oils coat every square millimeter of your mouth and cling to your tastebuds, barely cleaned off by the alcohol. Sure it should have sufficient bitterness to achieve balance with a generous malt backbone, but the hops' greatest work should not be in the form of bitterness, but intense, palate-destroying flavor (and aroma). You should be overwhelmed with grapefruit, tangerine, peach, and other citrus notes.

That is Hippie. The aroma bowls you over and you instantly know no holds were barred on late hop additions and dry hops. And the flavor lives up to the aroma, exploding with the previously-mentioned spectrum of Greatest Hits of American citrus hop flavor. I've heard Columbus and Simcoe are the dominant hops.

The late hop flavor here contributes a perceived sweetness, but there is plenty of underlying bitterness to keep anything from getting cloying. ABV is just about ideal for a good IPA at around 7 1/2 percent, making the flavors pop but not getting too hot.

This is without question one of the top IPAs in the country now. It blows Two Hearted out of the water. It at least deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Pliny the Elder, although I'd need to have them side by side to really judge the superior beer. Never had the Younger myself, so couldn't comment on that one.

And I've heard we can expect this in cans once their canning line arrives later this year. Mmmm.

4.75/5  rDev +7%

4.58/5  rDev +3.2%

I love GPBC's approach at this american IPA with a west coast push. I thoroughly enjoyed this brew. I love the citrusy, pineapple hints and the bitterness. I thought the brew was refreshing and at the same time had enough piney notes that went well with the smoothness. Not much malt backbone which I also liked. Most definitely worth seeking out.

Cheers

4.5/5  rDev +1.4%

Listen up hopsters, Zarathustra thus spake

We gotta new brew and it’s meaner than Snake

It’s  chewy and dank, and you’re gonna remember us

Grab an umbrella, it’s a humulo-nimbus

It’s wreckin’ yo palette and it’s dripping with oil,

We call in the harvest when we’re ready to boil

But Hitch is a beast, and we’ll need a plantation

Al Gore’ll be bitchin’ bout the deforestation

Don’t come talkin’ to me bout a hoppy aroma

The fumes off of Hitch put yo ass in a coma

I’m two pints in, it’s gettin’ harder to breathe

Tangerines and pineapple are rottin’ my teeth

Don’t know what to do with all the flowers and funk

Fiddy-leven IBUs, I think I’ll be in my bunk

All the hombrewers, haters, and the sucker MCs

Comin’ to the bar, sayin’ “Hitchhiker, please”

Hitchhiker from Good People Brewing Company