Hitchhiker - Good People Brewing Company

Hitchhiker
No picture uploaded.

Good People Brewing Company visit their website
Alabama, United States

A far cry from our original IPA, The Hitchhiker is a big floral/citrus American IPA. Aromas and flavors of pineapple, grapefruit, orange, and tangerines take center stage with a tad bit of caramel malt backbone to balance just a bit. A very dry finish with hops flavors lingering...this one is for the hopheads.

(Beer added by: Bonhoeffer on 07-09-2010)

Lizbeth, Dec 11, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Just had this again for the second time. The first time I was a little underwhelmed, but this is truly a work of art for this brewery. The hop flavor is full frontal and brutal and absolutely deliciously punishing. I really feel like I am in IPA heaven drinking this one. I really hope they start canning this so more people can experience it.

bjwilson, May 22, 2013
4.25/5  rDev -4.5%

jaj270, Jul 06, 2013
4.43/5  rDev -0.4%

Hitch (as the kids call it) is a fun departure from the lands of GP IPA. If you could cut Hitch it would bleed hops. It brings a heady plethora of citrus-y American hops with it on the nose and mouth to the battlefield of your palate and it doesn't apologize. Those of you with "alternative tastes" will recognize a distinctive "dankness" to this brew. Its hoppy forthrightness gives way to a pleasing malt backbone that balances the show, much like a McMahon to a Johnny. If you like the hoppier beverages then Hitch is a destination for you.

sepharious, Mar 30, 2012
4.58/5  rDev +2.9%

This is a very good IPA. It was complex, tasty, and dry. But mostly it was hoppy. This was a hop head's dream. Citrusy and dank. There were all kinds of hops in this one. The chalkboard at the taproom just said 100+. My kind of beer.

The smell was almost overwhelming. Tons of fruity, citrusy aroma balanced not with malty sweetness, but with more hoppy dankness.

The flavor was very similar. The citrus orange and pineapple flavor hit your tongue first and then give way some earthy dankness. Very little malt backbone, just enough. This is definitely a showcase of hops.

It's nice and dry on the tongue, making you want another.

I really enjoyed this beer. But if you don't love hops, be warned

Maddmartagan, May 29, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +1.1%

Duffs3, Apr 14, 2013
4.9/5  rDev +10.1%

Unbelievable beer! Finally got a growler from Highland Package Store in Birmingham. I believe this is a very fresh keg.

Appearance: Deep cloudy orange color. Can't see through it. I knew by looking at it that this was going to be a great beer.

Aroma: Great aroma, but not as pungent as some other IPA's. I can't name the hops by smell, but it's really a terrific aroma.

Taste: Very complex to me. Hints of orange & clove. Slight hint of alcohol, but subtle. So, so good.

Mouthful: Very smooth in my opinion. A little sharp hop feel in the back of the throat (of course), but still smooth nonetheless. Very pleasing aftertaste that frankly cries out for another sip.

Drinkability: Yes! Very drinkable. I could drink gallons of this.

I've been on the IPA kick for about two years now - still a novice by most accounts. I haven't had the opportunity to taste most of the great IPAs listed on this site. But this is an exceptional beer, and I think most experts would agree. It's balanced, flavorful, smooth yet sharp. It's a perfect blend in my opinion. My favorite for the time being, and I only live a few miles from the brewery!

CrestwoodG, Oct 16, 2010