County Line Barrel Aged Coffee Oatmeal Stout - Good People Brewing Company

County Line Barrel Aged Coffee Oatmeal StoutCounty Line Barrel Aged Coffee Oatmeal Stout

good

Good People Brewing Company visit their website
Alabama, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.40% ABV

GPBC's traditional Coffee Oatmeal Stout aged in a Tennessee Whiskey barrel. Flavors of oak, vanilla, and whiskey highlight the familar coffee and Willamette flavors of the COS.

(Beer added by: t0rin0 on 11-18-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by wallpaperbag:

None found.

DocAJ

02-15-2012 20:52:50 | More by DocAJ
msubulldog25

Oregon

3.65/5  rDev +3.1%

A 22 oz. bottle carried to Portland by Alabama's best BA, unclejedi; it was on my 'want' list and Jim spotted it. Poured on a late December evening to a pint glass.

Like the clever label, a typical southern roadside sign with an equally typical hodgepodge of letters. Handwritten notes on the side: "Bottle Number 222 ~ Date: Dec. 15, 2010 ~ Batch #6".

A: Ridiculous head. I mean, ridiculous. Poured carefully and there's still FIVE fingers of khaki foam in the glass. Left unattended, the foam began to snake from the neck of the bottle. Some very serious attenuation issues here... but, truth be told, I'm a 'head' man and the one on this is thick and rocky and slow to fall... and sits atop one of the darkest and richest oatmeal stouts I've ever seen. Gobs of sticky lace, wide sheets of seafoam.

S: A sweeter smell of caramel and grains, broken by the pungent earthiness of stale coffee grounds. Stale, yes - but still good smelling... hints of vanilla and spicy cinnamon. As it warms, there's lots more 'bourbon' character - woody and, well, 'bourbon-y'.

T: Quite a burst of flavor! Cocoa and lots of coffee roast with a dose of tongue-tingling wood-spiced alcoholic heat. Not necessarily 'hot' per se, but a mouth-filling warmth that accents the cacao and java with pointed vanilla jabs and spanks of woody tannins. The kind of complexity my taste buds crave... well played, Good People.

M: Pretty well carbonated, an airy (burpy) sort of gassiness. And quite boozy ~ remarkably boozy given the 6.4% ABV. A heated mess that sits tingling on the tip of the tongue and warms the cheeks.

O: It may be unfair to rate a bottle a year and a couple weeks past production date, but I'll still do it; plenty of barrel-aged beers (stouts) hold up and develop for far longer periods. A disappointment? Not at all, having been forewarned by the bearer of this gift and by other BA reviews that this had some issues. Still enjoyable, I'd gladly try this again - the concept of a Coffee Oatmeal Stout (barrel-aged or not) sounds pretty wonderful. Thanks for the chance to try this one, Jim!

12-28-2011 02:35:08 | More by msubulldog25
mklinger

3.55/5  rDev +0.3%

Generally, I love Good People's beers, but this one was problematic. I gently poured this into two glasses & got nothing but a complete glass full of the stiffest, rockiest head ever. No beer in the bottom of the glass. It took numerous pours and a lot of time to get a drinkable glass of beer.

The aroma was overwhelmingly bourbon. There was a little dark roast in there too, but mostly bourbon and sharp alcohol. Flavor was more balanced -- still a lot of bourbon but also quite a bit of roasted, chocolate & coffee. Mouthfeel was reasonable for a non-imperial stout. Full enough though perhaps a bit thinner than their usual COS. An decent enough beer, but ultimately a bit of a failed experiment to me.

12-03-2011 15:36:15 | More by mklinger
jlb502

11-15-2011 03:02:14 | More by jlb502
freduardo

11-14-2011 21:01:53 | More by freduardo
robwestcott

Indiana

3.4/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

big thanks to kirkpjr for this one ! dated 12/15/2010, batch #6, bottle 175.

poured cold from the bottle a deep opaque black to a founders brewing goblet with a crazy huge three finger, long lasting, mocha head leaving lace up the side to the rim.

aroma of black coffee, and that's about it.

this one's leaning more toward the oatmeal than the coffee. the coffee is present, but perhaps a bit faded ? over the last nine months.

light bodied for the style, big carbonation, crazy big carbonation, subtle bitter.

average to slightly above average, very drinkable.

09-12-2011 00:43:18 | More by robwestcott
stakem

2.3/5  rDev -35%

Thanks to unclejedi for this one. Bomber with a date of 12/15/10, batch #6, bottle #156.

Cap pops off with a loud hiss and large sized bubbles fill the neck of the bottle. I tilt my glass and slowly pour an entire snifter full of nothing but tan head... Well that was a first, by normal convention I now have less than a finger of beer in my glass and a complete fist and a half of big fluffy creamy tan head composed of rather large bubbles. 7 subsequent pours later, I have a snifter half full of beer with less than 5 fingers of head. A webby pattern of lace clings all around the glassware. The brew that rests below this mountain of head is black in color. When held to the light, it shows some lighter brown clarity around the edges and some ruby coloration through the body.

The smell of this brew is tangy with some citrus quality that mixes with minerals that are almost tin-like. Letting the brew come up to temperature allows more tangy elements to come forth along with sulfur. This brew smells wild and dare I say unintentionally infected by the barrels in which this brew was aged in. It includes a smell similar to the notorious likes of several brews I will not name here that have all been confirmed as infected by the respected breweries who released them. This is very much unlike what I was expecting for a coffee oatmeal stout that is barrel aged. There is a minor roast element still present in the nose once this brew warms but it plays a part that is very subtle in the background completely overshadowed by unpleasant notes of minerals and tang. There is faint chocolate malt note along with an alcohol burn to the nose that is solvent and hits harder than what you would expect for 6%. I let the brew sit in my glass for the better part of an hour and approach it again with an open mind, trying to find something half decent about it. The first thing I smell is tangy citrus character and I may be stretching here but I think I smell some sweet vanilla or caramel but I could be imagining this just trying to smell something good out of this brew. My overall impression of this brew's aroma is that of perfume... and not in a good way.

The taste of this brew is bitter roasted grain coupled with tangy elements of wild character. It is mildly funky and musty in flavor with citrus components that seem half way caught between the citrus inclusion of coffee and hops. There is a backing of bitter roasted grain and seemingly no coffee flavor. However, there is a bold burn of alcohol very much atypical of the listed 6% abv. More sips reveal a flavor that is very tin-like, metallic and full of minerals. The flavors of this brew completely clash and do not at all taste like what you would expect of a barrel aged coffee oatmeal stout. After the brew reaches and surpasses ideal temperatures, I faintly pick up on musty stale coffee notes and bitter chocolate. There is a faint oak character present but I am stretching here, all of these flavors are very much dominated by the tangy aspect of this brew and sulfuric mineral characteristics which are not that pleasing. The bitterness of this brew is super exaggerated by the lack of body, residual sweetness, sulfuric notes and excessive carbonation.

This is a medium to light bodied brew with an excessive amount of carbonation. The alcohol is out in the open with an extreme fusel to solvent taste that is not at all blended with the rest of the flavors. The taste and aroma of this brew is way off. I don't like to wave the obligatory infection flag but this bottle was seriously off. If this was the way this brew was intended, I would not want to drink it again. For a bottle that holds 22 ounces of liquid, it took me 7 pours into my tilted glass to get around 8 ounces of liquid. I really tried to give this one a fair shot but 3/4 of the bottle remains and I have no interest in drinking any more.

06-16-2011 01:32:52 | More by stakem
spointon

3.88/5  rDev +9.6%

I poured this one from a brown 22oz bomber bottle into an Imperial pint glass. This was bottle #199 and bottled 12/15/10. Acquired this in a trade with the incomparable beer dude everetends. Thanks Gilly!

A= This ale poured a completely opaque shade of black with some brown and ruby red highlights around the edges when held to a strong light. Totally over carbonated...took me almost 10 minutes of pouring and waiting and pouring and waiting to get anything close to a proper glass. The head was a creme color and rose magnificently to 3" if allowed to. Retention was great and some foamy stickage was left down my glass.

S= I noted aromas of roasted grain, oatmeal, coffee, chocolate, and after it warmed a bit, some barrel character (oak, vanilla, very very light whiskey).

T= The first thing I noticed was the blend (collision) of chocolate, coffee, and roasty flavors. Not at all unpleasant, but pretty rugged all the same. Hop bitterness was firm without being overstated. Had a bit of an earthy/woody quality that leads me to believe they used at least some English or English-derived hops. Midway through this beer really smoothed out and started to shine. Flavors of vanilla and oak emerged, with a kiss of the whiskey there if you looked for it. Finished dry and roasty with a slight tartness that probably comes from the wood.

MF= Merely medium in body with a lot of lift happening from the higher carbonation. Too thin in my opinion but not uncomfortably so.

D= An altogether odd beer that was nonetheless interesting enough to hold my attention pretty well. I think if the carbonation issue were solved and the body given just a bit more oomph this would be an outstanding beer. Still, it smelled good, tasted good, and was probably one of the better beers I have had that showed off some barrel aging character without it becoming overly aggressive or trying to take over the beer. Well done!

05-26-2011 04:33:46 | More by spointon
AwYeh

2.88/5  rDev -18.6%

Bottle #123 of County Line Series Batch #6, bottled 12/15/10; huge thanks goes out to GPHarris for sending this to me via trade.

A: This beer pours an opaque dark brown/black with a HUGE amount of head for how much beer makes it into the glass; I'm using a tulip and I think 90% of its volume was taken up by foam. It's an extremely frothy beer, with huge bubbles, good retention, and nothing short of great lacing... but at some point too much foam is simply too much, and rather than looking impressive, all that this amount of foam does is spark fears of infection.

S: Typical oatmeal stout aroma- hints of tanginess and mustiness, alongside a good deal of chocolate and roasted malts. The coffee from its name definitely comes into play as well, adding a nice bit of complexity and balance, not to mention being rather enjoyable in its own right. I don't pick up any barrel flavors here (neither bourbon nor wood), but we'll see if they emerge in the taste.

T: Incredibly robust, especially for the ABV- I would have guessed I was drinking something double digits, not because of being able to pick up any alcohol, but because of how strong the flavor is. Lots of roasted chocolate malts come out, but with only a hint of the coffee noticed in smell and referenced in name. Some woody flavors come out on the swallow, but the finish dries pretty quickly, leaving little in its place. At room temperature, a good number of whiskey flavors come through- enough to be more noticeable than any of the beer's other components. I'm thinking that this might be better when it is not barrel aged, though it was at worst a worthy experiment, and still an above average flavor.

M: Medium-bodied, with lively carbonation (probably the most I've encountered in any variety of stout). A light burn on the tongue is present, maybe from the whiskey introduced during the barrel aging process. The finish is abrupt and dry; not something I've experienced before in a stout, and not something that I particularly enjoy, but it's not all bad- if you're a fan of dry stouts you could fall in love with this beer.

O: I hate to give an only average review to a beer that, from my understanding, was very carefully made by a small brewery in a place where there aren't many others like it, and may actually benefit from increased interest due to good reviews (unlike say, Sierra Nevada or Sam Adams). I will definitely seek out more Good People brews in the future (and I actually have another cellaring at this moment); I just think that maybe this particular one didn't work out quite as well as was intended- with no poor reflection on the brewery itself. It does drink fairly easily, but I'm not really drawn to take sip after sip, and there is the matter of waiting for the head to diminish before I can keep drinking it, lest I'm met with a mouth full of foam.

So, the verdict is that this beer is not outstanding, but I will be returning to Good People in the future- and here's hoping that you, the reader, give this or one of their other beers a fair shot.

03-24-2011 11:12:06 | More by AwYeh
madvermin

2.6/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Big thanks to AwYeh for sharing this with me, just one of many brews he brought to split.

Vintage: Batch #6, Dec. 15th, 2010. Bottle #123

First thing I see with this is an enormous amount of head, even unnaturally so. I was pouring slowly after seeing AwYeh's cup overflow with foam, but it was to no avail. Head is static - no dissipation at all on top, as it sits there for an inordinate amount of time. Only after its structural foundation ebbs a bit does the top dissipate at all. This is a frothy and foamy monster and has exquisite lacing, but the head is just WAY too much and impossible to stop during the pour.

A slightly alcoholic coffee comes out to start the taste, with bourbon and smokiness adding to the aroma. Oatmeal gives it an earthy, smooth quality that is pleasant to see in a barrel aged beer. Although I do like the barrel smells, including some woodiness too, I would like the coffee to be a lot stronger than it is considering this is a coffee oatmeal stout.

Taste has a very strong smoky wood blend to it, with smoke and oak coming out a lot from start to finish. The coffee is tough to even notice behind all the other flavors here, as the smokiness is really tough to cut through. Oatmeal at least stands up for itself a bit giving the usual grassy earth tastes, but it isn't the star of the show. A bit underwhelming, but I can tell I may have liked a fresh batch of their non-barrel aged coffee oatmeal stout seeing as it is one of my favorite styles.

Mouthfeel is harsh during the booze-taste kick and slightly acidic from the oatmeal afterwards. It never really reaches a good medium between the two, with only a brief, short-period of smoothness present in the middle. Gets creamy in the middle due to the large carbonation. Drinkability suffers as well due to the imbalance of flavors and lack of consistent mouthfeel. The oatmeal saves this from being really unpleasant, but I don't really have a taste for this beer, although I can tell that I would probably like a regular version of it.

03-24-2011 11:08:59 | More by madvermin
TMoney2591

3.98/5  rDev +12.4%

Served in a Lexington Bourbon Barrel Ale snifter.

Big thanks to VDubb86 for sharing some Alabama goodness!

Batch #6, Bottle #209, bottled 12/15/10. Honestly, this bottle seems kinda jank, but what's inside seems pretty nice. It pours a rich onyx topped by an epic amount of ecru foam. Damn, this shit be foamy! Even the bottle's filling up with it. After the dust settles, so to speak, the nose comes out, comprising roasted malts, dark chocolate, light coffee, light blackened pretzel, and dark wheat. The taste holds notes of coffee, bitter dark chocolate, and a very light twist of red grapes/ruby red grapefruit. It's a considerably mild twinge, and it sorta fits in with everything else. The body is a staunch medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry-ish finish. Overall, a pretty damn nice stout. A welcome sight from a state that has until now eluded my tongue.

03-14-2011 00:12:54 | More by TMoney2591
Vdubb86

3.93/5  rDev +11%

Served in a snifter

Thanks to injuredreserve for hooking me up with my AL tick.

Batch #6 bottled 12/15/2010 #209

This beer pours...holy god it's overflowing...a highly carbonated blackness with a taupe 7-10 fingers of foam depending on the size of the glass. This beer is over carbonated from the get-go. The smell is actually not offensive, it gives off coffee smells and a touch of caramel and nuttiness to follow. The flavor provides the oatmeal flavor, some vanilla from the oak barrel, but mostly the coffee flavor. Weirdly, there was a strange sour tartness to the back of the flavor. The mouthfeel is a touch dry for my liking, but it's not wholly offensive. I enjoyed drinking this beer, after I got past the Vesuvius like action that it provided after pouring. I wonder if infection caused that or if it was just random.

03-13-2011 08:01:08 | More by Vdubb86
Schreibeers

South Carolina

4.47/5  rDev +26.3%

Batch #6 (Brewed Dec. 16, 2010), Bottle #262. Thanks to my friend down in Auburn who mailed this up to me at school.

A: Pours a light brown, very foamy head which seems to have some staying power. You might want to set some time aside, as I am impatiently waiting for this beer to cooperate. Color is dark black, I seems to catch some dark brown (almost red) notes but they are very light. Crazy good lacing. This beer is picture worthy.

S: I like this smell a lot. I get sweet, smooth caramel, some slightly acetic wood notes (not overpowering), vanilla, and very mild bitterness. I cannot seem to pick up much coffee.

T: What I might expect expect from a BA Coffee Oatmeal Stout. Wood/whiskey seem to be the initially taste as I begin to pick up some vanilla and additional wood flavors all dancing around a sweet caramel maltiness. There seems to be a slight gap in the middle of this beer as it disappears for a bit reappearing with some definite Tennessee whiskey (would love to know what kind of barrel they used... Jack?). The malts seem a little distant to me, and I still can't seem to pull much coffee flavors (only thing stopping me from giving it a 5).

M: Good. medium body, nothing to complain about. Effervescence is nice as well.

D: Little surprised it is only 6.4 % ABV, as it seems to drink a little bit more. Overall this is an interesting brew with some very great qualities. I really enjoyed it and hope that Good People makes another batch in the future.

03-10-2011 04:44:45 | More by Schreibeers
taylocd

3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

County Line Series; Batch #6; Bottle Number 265; December 15, 2010; received as a gift from a very generous fellow BA

Poured from 22-ounce bomber into imperial nonic.

A - solid black brew that allowed not even the slightest bit of light to peep through; medium brown head that was retained throughout the session and left a nice coat of lacing

S - smell of alcohol was certainly present and the aroma was mostly that of whiskey, with a whiff of coffee scent

T - the flavor profile was more balanced than the aroma suggested, with whiskey and coffee as the most prevalent characteristics, though there was a hint of chocolate

M - smooth texture with a somewhat sticky finish

D - overall easy drinker, but the whiskey flavor lingers a little too long as a result of the sticky finish.

01-21-2011 01:13:53 | More by taylocd
nhudson

4.58/5  rDev +29.4%

Bottle #81 out of 276 Bottle Date Dec 15, 2010. Served in a Good People pint glass.

a: Very dark brown/light black with ruby highlights. Head is a light brown color and very creamy/pillowy, wont go away. Lacing is very heavy and sticking to the glass like glue.

s: Amazingly different from the normal COS, gone are the hops and strong coffee aromas. While the coffe aroma is still there, it's very subdued from the original beer. Smell of whisky, vanilla and chocolate wrap themselves around the coffee to create one of the best smelling beers I have ever smelled.

t: Taste is very complex, coffee, chocolate, oak, hop bitterness. Simply amazing how everything came together. I seem to be getting come alcohol come through, which must come from the whisky still in the barrel.

m: very full. The beer is not thin at all. I think the barrel aging added some mouthfeel to this beer

d: I could sit down with one of these any time and any day of the week. Highly drinkable at 6.6 abv and extremely flavorful

01-15-2011 21:08:25 | More by nhudson