Bold English Ale - Bold City Brewery

Ratings: 6 | Reviews: 5
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.7/5  rDev n/a

A: dark cooper color, low carbonation, very little to no head

S: sweet nutty and roasted malt, nice balanced hop smell detected.

T: Very FRESH lots of malt up front as it should be in the style, not quite sure if it fits the style though. no alcohol aftertaste. Tasted somewhat flat to me, maybe it was poured badly, they have no idea what they doing in the bar end of things sadly. Their learning was not trying to be mean really. I wish it was a tad stronger

M: medium body, no carbonation to speak of.

D: very smooth and easy to drink it now

Edited my review as he is getting better every batch.

4.05/5  rDev n/a

Great flavor! One of the best brown/stock ales I have had. It was very smooth and I wish it was not a seasonal so I can drink it all year.
It was very easy drinking. It was a great dark color and had a nice frothy head. I'm really gald Bold City is open and I was there for the first opening.

4.12/5  rDev n/a

A: reddish brown, half finger head which dissipates rapidly.

S: mild smokey and toasty aroma.

T: Toasted malts dominate. I was getting a sweet but semi dry finish.

M: Smooth, medium body with moderate carbonation.

Overall: I am new to the English bitter aroma having only had 3 or 4 but for an american version of the beer, this one is very good and I sense it has gotten better since the original batches.

4.42/5  rDev n/a

Yes...we finally have a real microbrewery in Jacksonville. The old ale is awesome. One of the best I have tried. It's deep, dark amber color is perfect. The smell is rich, but not over powering. The taste is exactly what you would expect with a quailty old ale. I was excited to try this brew, and I will be going back for more. Thanks Brian!

4.12/5  rDev n/a

A - Pours with a small head of white foam on a medium brown body with light haze. The head settles fairly quickly and leaves light lace.

S - A malty aroma of caramel and toasted malt with some fruity british yeast.

T - Dry, toasted malt up front with a light note of roast. Some musty hops in the middle with more dry toast. The beer finishes with overwhelming dry toasty malt and spicy yeasty notes.

M - Medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - Not bad, I didn't really like this beer the first time I had it, but I am starting to enjoy it now. The aroma is very move and it nails the english bitter profile. The flavor is not quite as lively with an excess of toasted notes that collect in the finish. more of an ESB than an old ale, it is a good beer, but it could be great with a touch more sweetness. I would love to try this on a beer engine, it would make an excellent cask ale.

to view more.
Bold English Ale from Bold City Brewery
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.