Duke's Cold Nose Brown Ale - Bold City Brewery

to view more.
Ratings: 191 | Reviews: 34
Reviews by milkbaby9:
3.99/5  rDev +9%

First ever review for this newbie...

It was on-tap at the American Cafe in Jax, so I was looking forward to a nice fresh pint figuring even a so-so beer that is fresh can shine compared to a good beer that has been sitting around in a bottle too long.

Had a draft into an american shaker pint glass, almost no head maybe due to a too gentle draft to the top of the glass or the bartender pouring off the foam during the pour? Clear but darkish brown similar to Pepsi or Coke, maybe a bit lighter. Aroma is primarily a sweet maltiness. A little nondescript but quite pleasing.

Taste is similar to aroma with a slightly sweet malty taste dominating with only the slightest hint of hops or bitterness. A nice breadiness without a cloying sweetness, something I feel Newcastle Brown Ale has too much of (sweet). It's simple but tasty good...

Carbonation is low, which is probably appropriate for this style. To me there is some substance to this beer, but it remains very easily drinkable probably because it is a fairly easygoing and pleasant brew.

Glad to have tried a local/Florida beer on tap! I'd drink this again and recommend it to my pals.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

Duke's Cold Nose Brown Ale, 6 % alcohol. Got this growler from Brewers Pizza at 20$ refill rate. Poured into a pint glass.

A- Nice. Pours a deep brown fluid with a inch of off white head that falls to a thick froth leaving massive rings of lacing.

S- Toasted malts, sweet brown sugar, over ripe plums, and alcohol ester in the nose.

T-M- Taste is dominated by burnt malts and slightly alcoholic notes. Upfront is a caramel and brown sugar flavor followed by earthy hop backbone. Alcohol tingle is there but well covered by the smooth flavors. Mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy rolling over the buds with ease. Leaves a thin layer of malt in the after taste.

Overall this beer is a great choice when you want a smooth beer with a craft beer taste, smooth mouthfeel and decent alcohol content. Pair well with beef and pork dishes.

On-tap at the brewery.

Pours a chestnut brown color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing. I actually think this is lighter than their amber ale however that's as much of the amber ale being very dark as it is this beer being too light.

Smells of sweet caramel malts with very mild amounts of butterscotch.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Caramel malt flavors with hints of lightly toasted malts kick things off. Midway through the sip the flavors sweeten a bit and carry through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a solid thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall I thought this was a solid brown ale although it may be more of an English version than an American one. Either way, it's worth a shot.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

New beer what can I say I like this one tastes just like a Brooklyn Brown ale to me

Was so good on tap I got a growler of this.

A: medium dark coppery brown with a big 2" head that settled down to about 1/4"

S: Semi burnt sour coffee and Sweet pecan like and dry with a little bit of caramel malt. Just hints of hops.

T: Very smooth and a nice bit of sour hops to balance out the malt, outstanding taste, some more caramel malt comes out.

D: Easy to drink fresh from the tap/growler. good stuff.

3.88/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bold City Brewery "Duke's Cold Nose Brown Ale"
12 oz. can, coded "308 14 13:09"
$1.67 @ Winn Dixie #0199, Jacksonville, FL

Duke's pours a clear, very dark mahogany brown body beneath a creamy head of khaki that holds well and leaves broken sheets of lace as it goes.

In the nose it's chocolatey, and almost fudge brownie-like, and that carries over into the flavor. It's sweetish, but not particularly malty, with a medium-light body and a smooth, fine-bubbled moderate carbonation. The bitterness is restrained, but along with some grassy and very lightly floral hops it manages to finish dry with some lingering nuttiness and a dusting of earthiness.

It's one-sided, yes, but many brown ales are - and in this case it's at least not overdone. What it does deliver is quite nice, and so much so in fact, that I could easily see enjoying two or three of these in a row. Not unlike the other beers from Bold City it's simply a reliable, readily accessible, and very drinkable ale.

4.15/5  rDev +13.4%

I have to preface everything by saying I had been up since 2:50 AM and driven 785 miles by the time I'd had this. But it's a great looking beer, nice and dark, like cola, with a thin head.

Has an earthy, malty smell to it. Seemed to be hints of coffee and/or toffee.

Tastes like it smells. A bit nutty with bits of coffee playing in the background.

Really smooth in the mouth. Not a hint of bitter, a little sweet, but not sickeningly so.

This is a very easy beer to drink. It's got a milky smooth feel and the sweet makes it go by. A nice punch of alcohol means you're warm and toasty after just a few. Looking forward to a couple more of these.

3.54/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Wreckers Orlando 5/20/15

Pours brown with thin lacing and almost no retention. The smell is a faint nutty malt than tastes rather thin and small amount nuttiness. It's ok but nothing special.

3.74/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a can into a hotel glass. Nov 2013

Pours deep mahogany brown bordering on black. Thick 1-1/2 inch tan foam. Bready nutty caramel toffee nose. Nutty taste, light, watered. Fast finish, no bite. A little sweet. Light carbonation. Good nut brown.

3.62/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This poured with a very light brown coloring and entirely too much carbonation in the body. The head could never build thickly, though, but it did leave good lacing.

The aroma was light chocolate malts but a predominant fudge brownie scent exists.

The flavor was light on the chocolate, strong on the chocolate malts and very flavorful.

The feel is a two edged sword as it is really thin and watery but so easy and light that it has a sessionable aura.

This is one of those beers that doesn't wow you but you really like to drink.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

Thanks to djmichaelk for the bottle!

Pours a deep muddy brown with a massive light tan head. A few minutes into the fairly gentle pour, there are still 2 inches of foam.

Aroma is slightly nutty. A get a bit of licorice and a light alcohol burn maybe?

Starts off with a bit of brown sugar. Light roasted malts throughout. Slightly sweet, but biting aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is a touch thin for a brown. Carbonation level is good.

I'm really not entirely sure what I think of this one. It's definitely some complexity and some distinctly unique flavors, but at the same time, I'm not sure they all work together. Maybe with a bit heavier mouthfeel they would. Close to being a really good beer, but falls a bit short.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

This beer is extremely drinkable. It's not the best brown ever, but I can say that if you are drinking it, it's probably fresh considering the production size of the brewery. That says a lot for a beer. Good beer all-in-all.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle and matching T-shirt brought up from my dad from Florida! Thanks dad!!!

Appearance- Pours a deep brown with just over a finger of thick off white head. Decent retention with some splotchy lace.

Smell- A distinct nuttiness, toasted malts, and red apple.

Taste- Wow, not quite what I was expecting in a brown, but it tastes like a liquid taffy apple. A nuttiness throughout, with caramel and toffee notes, lightly toasted malts, and a sweet apple taste. Sweet throughout but not cloying, slightly dry finish.

Mouthfeel- A bit thin and watery, slightly sticky, could use a bit more heft, the only real knock on this beer.

Overall- An interesting take on the style, different from most browns I have had, but it works, and it is actually fairly refreshing, which would be nice in the Florida heat. Looking forward to checking out the brewery when I make it down there next!

3.79/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Canned on December 9th, 2014 according to the Julian date on the bottom of the can. Brought back to MA after a fruitful trip to Tampa, FL.

A- 12oz can is poured into a teku with a deep brown body and a three finger light tan cap. The head retention is rather good and massive sheets of lace form immediately.

S- Good overall aromatic strength to a Brown Ale on the darker side of things. A melange of toasted nuts, caramel sweets, cocoa powder, coffee, cereal grains and bready grains comes to mind.

T- Medium sweetness and a heavy dosage of cereal grains up front. The grains are responsible for the majority of what is happening in this brew. Toasted nutty malts, crystal grains, bread, cocoa nibs, toffee and slight roast come to mind. Slight fruity hints at times.

MF- Light to medium overall thickness to the body with a chewy and foamy consistency. Moderately high carbonation with a slight bitterness on the back end.

Toasted grains lead the way with some roast character. A well rounded flavor profile that could use a bit more support from the body; it just feels thin during some sips.

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
No born on date

Why are so many brown ales named after dogs?  But I digress....

A: Color is somewhere between tea and cola brown, with less than 1/2 a fingers width of light tan head, which settles to only a thin film and outer ring very quickly.  Leaves no appreciable lacing.

S: Roasted and caramel malts, a nutty character,  toffee.  Has some subtle hints of adjunct aromas like corn/rice, although I'm fairly certain it is not brewed with adjunct ingredients.  Not bad, not great.  Aromas could be stronger.

T: Rather sweet, again with caramel malts.  Toffee, a bit of hop bitterness.  Not really a lot going on here, at all.

M/D: Carbonation on the higher end, medium bodied, slightly drying finish.  Drinkability is moderate, something about it prevents me from wanting to have more than 1.

O: I had this one other time and remember liking it a lot before, as it came off more like a porter, with bigger roasted and nutty notes, and a complexity I really appreciated.  Maybe I drank this one too cold, but it's coming off as drab and rather unremarkable now.  I'd like to give it a try again someday, as I was really impressed the other time that I had it, but if this were the first time I had drank it, I likely wouldn't seek it out again (although full disclosure, I feel that way about most brown ales I drink).  Probably being generous and giving it bonus points for the other time I drank it.

3.56/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured on-tap at the Bold City Brewery, the beer was served up in a pint glass. The beer is a light, muddled brown color. Looks like thin, dirty water. No head. The nose is a muddled nutty sweet smell that is pleasant. Once you taste it, that's when this beer kicks into cruising speed. There are super sweet and creamy chocolate and nutty flavors. The beer is smooth bodied, with a sweet, nutty aftertaste. The finish is fairly quick and quiet, which goes along with the appearance and body. The flavors of this beer are pretty damn good...I would love to see it carried on a ballsier body.

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

A- Standard Brown
S- Mild and somewhat malty
T- Roasty all the way through
M- Ideal carbonation for this style

Dukes is a go to beer if you are in the mood for something between a light and dark. There is a light hoppy taste that works with the style.

The best brown I've tasted - ever.

2.95/5  rDev -19.4%

A year ago, when I was scoping out Jacksonville as my potential next place of residence, Duke's Cold Nose Brown Ale was the first local beer I tried. I was at dinner and asked my waiter what he recommended that was local. Without hesitation, he brought me a Dukes and shared a little bit about Bold City Brewing. I was intrigued and glad to see so much pride for a local brew.

Appearance: Brown with red tints. Cloudy body with a quarter-inch head that perseveres as you drink the beer.

Aroma: Chocolate malt is first and foremost present on the nose. There's also a nuttiness that's expected with this style. Toasted grain as well.

Taste: Nuts and caramel are the two most predominant flavors. As the beer passed through the palate, I taste a watered-down coffee flavor with a sweet and chocolaty finish.The flavors are overall pretty mild and could be a great gateway craft beer for someone who's used to drinking Bud, Miller, Coors, or piss.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a light gateway craft beer. There's nothing extreme or overly remarkable about Dukes, but that's not a bad thing. I suspect Bold City has been able to "convert" a lot of beer drinkers over the past few years, and no doubt Dukes has played a huge role in that.

Mouth feel: Creamy body, medium carbonation. Leaves a slight coating and subtle tartness on the tongue.

Overall, Dukes has found its niche in Jacksonville and has a pretty large following. Personally, I am not a huge fan, but like I said before, I appreciate and respect what this beer has accomplished and represented for the craft beer community in Jacksonville. Bold City is Jacksonville's first craft brewery. I believe Dukes, in some ways, has paved the way for the more intense and experimental brews in Jacksonville.

Beyond the flavor, my biggest issue with this beer is with the packaging and price. The only way to purchase Dukes in the store is by buying the 12 pack ($16.99). For me, the packaging is the main reason I don't drink Dukes more often. I honestly don't want 12 bottles of it, and I certainly don't want to seventeen bucks! Not when I can buy two separate (and different) 6 packs for the same price. I'm not sure why Bold City doesn't produce more of their beers in 6 packs (especially their flagship), but I think it's definitely holding people like me back from buying more of their product.

Check out more of my reviews at thebeerapostle.com

Cheers!

3.97/5  rDev +8.5%

I tried a 12 oz. bottle of this beer tonight at Mojo's BBQ on University Blvd tonight with pulled pork and fries.

A: Pours a nice brown ale color, 1" head or so with quick dissipating lacing.

S: Smells of pine hops and rich malts.

T: Medium bodied and delicious. Buckwheat, anise and caramel notes. Well balanced.

M: Not alcoholic, a little watery for a brown ale. Mildly carbonated.

D: Drinks easy with a dry finish. Easy to drink 3-4 of these no problem.

4.63/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I know brown ales don't get much love, but this one is a staple for me.

3.48/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a murky brown with a foamy tan head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Foamy swaths of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of toasted malt, nut, and slight cocoa aromas. Taste is much the same with toast, nut, and slight cocoa flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of toast bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is tasty but has a slightly subdued smell.

4.6/5  rDev +25.7%

Went to the tap room on National Homebrewers day May 1st 2010 to buy 2 growlers of Duke's Brown Ale in honor of Duke. Sadly the brewery's mascot dog and taproom pal had to be put down this past week. RIP Duke. This pint is for you, and earns a special place as my 300th review on Beer Advocate. "Here's to you Duke"

Here is a photo link of my pint pour...

Growler>pint glass,
Sunday, 5/2/10

Dark sweet tea/amber in color, semi cloudy, satisfactory head and lacing

Dark malty & hazelnut aroma with mild fruit notes, aromas are more muted than I would expect.

Tastes as it smells, but more intense. Malt fwd and dominant. Noticable hazelnut and coffee flavors. Prevelant medium caramel malts with a subtle but appropriatte hop balance.

Mouthfeel is medium/thin, medium carbo, held up well in growler after 24 hrs sealed.

Drinkability is exceptional at $10 for a 1 gallon growler. I vote this beer as a flagship offering for BCB, RIP duke. I will miss his cold nose during my next tap room pint.

easily worthy of my 300th review for sure ;-)

Much better than I remember, and after 2 growlers of this offering last weekend I can review with a more accurate opinion of this brew than before. Either this beer this recipe has matured over time, or I have grown to like it more thna before. This brew is available on tap frequently in our local area. It's becoming my go to brew on tap when out and about.

Nice work Brian, and my condolescences on the recent loss of your cold nose companion. He will not be forgotten.

3.9/5  rDev +6.6%

on tap at Copelands

appearance: copper brownish ale with lots of rising bubbles and low head retention

smell: subtle caramel and low hop aroma

taste: nice caramel taste from the malt and a little bitterness. some good coffee falvor for a brown ale

mouthfeel: medium bodied

drinkability: might be one of their best, solid beer and fitting to be there icon beer.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Thanks to Brendan for sending this one. 12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a very dark ruby color. A one finger cream colored head lasts for a while. Good lacing.

S - Pumpernickel malty notes, black walnuts, fig. Powerful and different aroma for a brown ale, but enjoyable.

T - Lots of grain, roasted malt, and a pretty strong acidic tartness. Strange blend of flavors.

M - Great carbonation and a medium feel. Leaves a coating on the tongue.

O - I hadn't heard of this brewery before getting this beer. A bit different for a brown with the tart flavors, but overall good. I enjoyed it and would get it again if it were available to me.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

This beer is pretty easy to obtain in the Jacksonville area and is always a safe and usually inexpensive choice while at a bar if you happen to be in Jax. The taste is interesting, it is dominated by burnt flavors up front, this is followed by a nut like taste. Towards the end there is a subtle hint of alcohol but it is by no means lacking in punch. The peculiar thing is the slight sour flavor that appears every so often while drinking it, I don't know what to make of it but it is memorable I guess. The appearance and scent are pleasant and the feel is enjoyable. On the whole it's a solid choice though if there is a plethora of other choices available it is tempting to overlook this one IMO.

to view more.