Makedoniki Syntaghy - Zeos Brewing Company S.A.

Makedoniki SyntaghyMakedoniki Syntaghy

Zeos Brewing Company S.A. visit their website
Greece

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Big78CJ on 06-30-2008)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by ChrisCage:
ChrisCage

3.13/5  rDev +9.4%

A- Love the shade of blue used for the bottle! The brew itself pours a darker color than I expected, that being a chill hazed light golden. The head isn't exactly impressive, forming a thin layer right away, and fizzling out to a patchy film. As expected, there appears to be a lot of bristly carbonation rising to the top, but it does settle out after a couple of minutes. As for lacing, there is an oily looking film that covers the side of my glass instead of foam...not a great looking beer, but the packaging brings up the score a little!

S- Very typical Euro lager skunked aroma overall. There is some sweet malt underlying, along with dry graininess and a slightly metallic smell. The finish contains some minor hop bitterness, but nothing great.

T- This isn't nearly as strong as I was thinking it would be for the style, but rather, sweet malt dominates my palate! Hints of grain and mild woody flavors are in the background. The finish isn't exactly pleasant, as the metallic note found in the aroma rears it's ugly head, and without any real bitterness to balance it out....

M- The body leans towards medium I have to say. It has a creamy character about it and the carbonation is actually deceiving, as I find it quite soft on the palate. Unfortunately, I also feel like I sucked on a piece of sheet metal after the swallow for a couple of minutes.

O- I would say this is a reasonably drinkable Euro lager. It's different than what I expected, in a good way, but does have it's flaws. I found that I got used to the metallic character over a few drinks, and therefore, could probably have a few of these in a sitting without issue. I don't think I'll go out of my way for this again, but wouldn't mind sipping on it again in the future. Above average overall compared to the competition.

01-04-2012 23:38:15 | More by ChrisCage
LagerHOGGER

2.5/5  rDev -12.6%

11-15-2013 19:21:17 | More by LagerHOGGER
evlu1441

3.1/5  rDev +8.4%

Found this beer at a local Greek restaurant. While I wasn't exactly blown away (slight understatement), The blue bottle is fantastically patriotic! I figured I'd hunt it down and give it a review. This is my first Greek beer.

It pours a pale straw lager colour with about a centimeter of soapy white head. Pretty average looking.

The skunky aroma is ferocious! I can smell it from the glass sitting on the table... apparently blue glass doesn't block out light very well! On closer examination, the skunky aroma balances alongside some sweet malt. There is a distinct spicy aroma that is quite pleasant.

The taste is slightly tart to begin, but gives way to some sweet grainy malt flavour. This slowly reveals some of the spicy character mentioned in the aroma. It's a nice deviation from the standard lager.

Overall, this beer is different from other euro lagers I've had, and the spicy aromas are quite pleasant. A slightly above average beer. If I could give points for the bottle, I would!

09-01-2011 23:00:51 | More by evlu1441
patra7

Greece

3.03/5  rDev +5.9%

I bought it here in Greece from a specialized beer store and had it kept in the fridge for a couple of months before consuming. Annoyed and surprised by the absence of a "Best Before" date. Judging from the bottle this is clearly meant to be exported, perhaps due to the problems present in the Greek beer market... Quite a... "touristy" bottle which, I must admit, made me quite apprehensive of the beer but I tried to be objective nonetheless. On the back side there is a tag line in English: "OK, Just call me BLUE MAK"

Appearance: Yellow color, transparent, white head: initially the head was almost non-existent (maybe I didn’t pour right?) but when I re-filled my glass from higher up there was a half-inch thickness.
Smell: Hops with hints of metal and graininess.
Taste: Initially hops with a distinct – almost annoying – metal feel and a residual, but not lingering, bitterness. As time went by and the beer got warmer the metal feel went away (or I got used to it) and the beer felt more balanced.
Body: Light body – but not watery. Even rather smooth. Light-medium carbonation.
Overall: Quite drinkable. Definitely better than macro lagers, but I will have to try it a 2nd time to be sure it’s fresh and see what’s the story with the metal taste.

05-28-2011 16:07:48 | More by patra7
wordemupg

2.75/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

330ml blue bottle poured into pint glass nov7 2010

A slightly hazy golden yellow with some tiny suspended particles with low carbonation but a thick thumbs width of head that hangs around for a few minuets and left a few partial rings of lace

S sweet grains a little lemon and some faint skunk

T not far from the smell but with a sour rice krispy flavor that's nothing special

M fairly full for the color and more bubbles then I could see in the glass

D I finished it with out issues but I doubt I'd reach for more

I think I liked the bottle more then the beer inside it, I can only think of one other blue beer bottle in all my travels.

11-08-2010 01:19:01 | More by wordemupg
biboergosum

2.83/5  rDev -1%

In a sleek 330ml longneck bottle, which is a striking dark electric blue, similar to some icewine bottles. Lots happening on the front label, with a Greek statue profile of Alexander the Great, and lots of Greek text, which had me wondering as to the actual name of this offering, until I turned the bottle around, and found: "Ok, just call me BLUE MAK"...works for me.

This beer pours a slightly cloudy, medium golden straw colour, with two fingers of puffy, frothy, and sudsy off-white head, which leaves some various instances of striated lace around the glass in its short wake.

It smells of sourdough-esque bready pale malt, a touch of husky corn, faintly spicy yeast, and strong herbal, weedy, and mildly skunky hops. The taste is more of the same - softly bready grain, a slight, now indistinct sourness, increasing diacetyl as it warms, a weird watery metallic essence, and somewhat bitter floral, weedy, and yes, still skunky hops.

The carbonation is average, just a meek frothiness throughout, the body a so-so medium weight, a bit slick and oily, but generally smooth, and even a tad creamy. It finishes off-dry, the lingering sour graininess still tussling with the persistent, if low-key, skunky vegetal hops.

I didn't know what to expect after the initial presentation, but was mildly surprised. Drinkable, and passable, if a bit cloying, and probably a good alternative to the crappy macro Euro-lagers available if one was hopping the Greek Isles. Here, on the other hand, a novelty is just a novelty, and that novelty does not seem to lead to recommendable beer.

09-16-2010 22:57:22 | More by biboergosum
Big78CJ

2.68/5  rDev -6.3%

Very cool blue glass bomber with sleek white writing that is entirely in Greek. It looks like the bottle reads Macedonia but its printed MAKEΔONIKH (as the beer name) but it could be MΠYPA. Cool picture of Alexander the Great on the front.

Tall, yellow, refreshing-looking lager (or is it a pilsner?). I have to psyche myself up sometimes for a lager, even though I do enjoy them. This could be a good one and in 97 degree heat it is going to be great!

The smell is earthy and herbal, with minor hints of biscuit malt. Taste is very similar but also arguably a bit flatter on the palate (not in carbonation, in flavor). There is an edge of bitterness but it may have skunked in the blue bottle. This was just hand-carried back from Greece (Santorini, I think) so I don't know how old it was before it was purchased. It isn't awful, just not that great (despite my prediction).

Mouthfeel is somewhat dry and thin. Some hint of body from the slight malt presence. I don't live in Greece so this beer has got to be low on drinkability for that reason but on top of that, it just isn't that great of lager/pils. I like Spaten and Victory Prima way better.

06-30-2008 18:46:26 | More by Big78CJ
Makedoniki Syntaghy from Zeos Brewing Company S.A.
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.