1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Rose - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

RoseRose

good

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Tripel |  7.50% ABV

Originally known as 'Golden Rose' - discontinued in 2005.

"Rose is inspired by the Belgian Tripel style. It is a top fermented ale which has a deep golden color with a light refreshing body. The beer has a subtle hop profile using the Northwest's finest whole hop flowers. We use Aromatic and Honey malts along with Candy Sugar to give it a unique and fruity character. It is 6% alcohol by weight (7.5% by volume)."

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 02-27-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rose Alström Bros
Ratings: 164 | Reviews: 148 | Show All Ratings:
bwyker

1.2/5  rDev -66.4%

Pours a musty beige-brown with a thin off-white head. Nothing in appearance can prepare you for what you are about to smell. Fermented cardboard and wet socks, rust, maybe some composting leaves. I almost poured this down the drain before taking a sip. I wish I had. First sip, dirt, rotten greens…I’m not even kidding here. Mouthfeel, well, I wanted to spit it out, so I’m not sure how fair I can be on that. Drinkability, I took maybe three sips and the rest is going down the drain. I think I’d rather drink Bud Light after it had been sitting out open for a day. Most disgusting beer I’ve ever had, hands down.

10-01-2006 05:17:57 | More by bwyker
kmudrick

1.7/5  rDev -52.4%

Poured from bottle into a Chimay chalice.

Poured thin with a slight swirl of thin froth that didn't seem to go away.
Appearance is murky but pleasant and inviting - almost Granny Smith apple juice-colored. The scent, however, is... not right. I'm picking up flows of tree bark? It's kind of like a moldy, grain-alcohol-soaked caramelized cardboard smell. The taste is flat and pungent with a hint of something like vegemite or marmite combined with a disgusting medicine that completely overpowers any fruit that may have been tossed into this thing. The mouthfeel is light for a tripel, but then again, this makes Golden Monkey taste amazing. My mouth would be happy servicing this all night, but only if my taste buds were completely wrecked. By far, this was my worst reaction to a beer. I wonder if maybe the Foodery got a bad batch, like what happened with the HOTD Ruth?

10-01-2006 05:25:11 | More by kmudrick
waughbrew

1.83/5  rDev -48.7%

Batch#38
Very hazy orangy light brown with an amazingly creamy top. Impressive retention and lacing. Smell is sweet and very yeasty with hints of citrus and alcohol. A tingly twang on the tongue to begin. A bit of banana bread, then the burn begins. Alcohol is surprisingly assertive - painfully so. It dominates the finish and goes straight to the top of my head. Reminiscent of rubbing alcohol and paint remover fumes. Thin body, very creamy.

A four dollar headache. It had been a long time since I shared a beer with my kitchen sink, but yikes, this sucked.

07-10-2004 01:11:33 | More by waughbrew
ccrida

Oregon

1.98/5  rDev -44.5%

Batch # 41, poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass, Rose is hazy, amberish orange with a creamy and firm off-white head, 1 finger tall and long lasting, particularly the collar, although very little lace.
The aroma, ughh. Beets beets beets, I dont like them and they make this tripel beat. When I read the label stated hibiscus flowers, beets and pink peppercorns, I assumed he meant beet sugar, being that this is supposedly a Belgian Style Trippel. I'm a big fan of that style, and there is very little about this brew that reminds me of it. Very dissapointing, especially as good as the other Hair of the Dog offerings I've had. Being a homebrewer myself, I'm all for taking risks with a recipe, but this one just ain't ready for primetime, and certainly shouldn't be marketed as a trippel.
Anyways, I should finish (the effort is equal for this review and the beer). The taste is even more dominated by beets, so much so that I can't really break down anything else, or maybe I just don't want to.
The mouthfeel is moderate, pretty carbonated and a bit creamy.
The drinkability on this is very low if you don't like beats. I don't, and this sucker is a struggle, although philosophically, I would never not finish a beer!
My score is mainly based on reviewing this as a trippel, although if I was just considering it in general, it wouldn't be much better...

03-11-2007 03:20:21 | More by ccrida
jgasparine

Maryland

2.03/5  rDev -43.1%

Bottle Serving- Batch #40:

A- A careful pour yielded a thin cream colored head, which immediately receded to edge lacing... the body was a gorgeous medium orange-amber color, with fine carbonation visible from the top and sides of the glass.

S- Orange marmalade and an intense aroma flower pollen are most prominent on the nose. I'm also getting some phenolic aromas, reminiscent of burnt plastic and slightly medicinal as well. Does not smell like a Belgian Tripel at all... definitely a unique nose... not sure if I'll enjoy the taste.

T- Wow. Tastes like I'm drinking floral-scented liquid soap. Or perhaps liquid potpouri. This is far from a pleasurable taste... and I taste nothing belgian about it.

M- The body is on the thin side... well-attenuated... which is the only thing about it that keeps true to the Tripel style. Despite the thin body, I find it somewhat oily, which is nice... and this is well-complimented with an appropriate amount of soft carbonation.

D- I could only get through about 4oz. of this before I decided it was a drain-pour. Shame. This is the first "bad" beer I've ever had from HotD... and my buddy went through great lengths to bring this back to the East Coast for me.

Note: I this bottle is simply labeled "ROSE". I have noted that other people here have reviewed bottles labeled "GOLDEN ROSE", which I believe is a different recipe altogether... I am surprised to dislike anything from this brewery... perhaps I have had a bad batch? Not many other people here reviewing batch #40...

10-05-2009 13:06:19 | More by jgasparine
alexatlatx

2.05/5  rDev -42.6%

Bottle conditioned Tripel style with "hibiscus flowers, beets and pink peppercorns." I bought this beer at City beer here in SF because I saw Hair of the Dog featured on "Beer Nuts," which is a show on INHD. 12oz bottle, batch 41.

Anyway, I poured this into a Maudite glass. It came out a burnt-orange/copper color and pretty hazy--possibly due to the pour, since it is bottle conditioned. I tried to be careful.

The aroma smelled definitely of beets and trash.

The taste is definitely along the lines of sour beets, it gets better as it warms up but not much.

Tastes more mellow, sweet and less sour with with some dark chocolate (had it with a Men's Pocky stick). Taste pretty terrible after eating a strawberry.

Overall I was bummed that it wasn't as "red" as I was expecting. Also I seemed to believe that the beets would add more positive flavor notes to the beer, and the peppercorns might add spice. Anyway I finished it.

02-21-2007 05:53:02 | More by alexatlatx
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

2.15/5  rDev -39.8%

Acquired via trade from biegaman, so a big "Thank you" goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep amber color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of caramelized malts, Belgian yeast, some spice and a little bit of hops, but none it seems to blend together well.

T: The taste is malty up front with flavors of caramel, brown sugar, some Belgian yeast, a touch of smokiness and a decent hops presence, but again there doesn't seem to be any harmoniousness, which seriously detracts from the complexity that is being attempted here. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy. The after-taste is bitter-sweet.

M: Not too crisp and not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, decent kick, not the best representation of style, this one just flat out was not very good at all.

07-10-2008 04:29:54 | More by TheManiacalOne
NJpadreFan

2.28/5  rDev -36.1%

Hair of the Dog- Rose

On tap at The Drafting Room- SpringHouse, PA

Appearance- Bright glowing orange, hazy and murky with a thick soapy white head.
Smell- Strong candi sugar. Very sweet and fruity.
Taste- Whoa!! Sugary sweet, like rock candy. Huge hints of orange, cranberry, pinapple, and alcohol. I swear it tasted like a fruity girl drink. (sex on the beach, vodka/ cranberry, etc..)
Mouthfeel- sweet and fruity.

Overall- I'll pass on this sickingly sweet wine cooler. My 1st HOTD was a bust but it won't perterb me from trying others!

03-11-2007 14:08:23 | More by NJpadreFan
jcalabre

2.6/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I originally sampled this beer on Groundhog's Day 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
A big, frothy head led to a some what different tasting beer.
As others have noted, it has a candy sugar taste. In fact, to me, it doesn't resemble
other trippels I've had. Also, judging by the wide range of comments, it either doesn't live long on the shelf,
or they have a consistency issue.

08-09-2003 04:24:54 | More by jcalabre
Cadyfatcat

2.65/5  rDev -25.8%

Batch numero 35

Serious caramel brown hazy color. Nice yellow to white frothy head. Plenty of suspended yeast. Looks very raw unrefined, a little too much so for my tastes.

Sour apricot malt on the nose.

A somewhat vast malt scheme with the introduction. A cloy sourness, with little bitterness to rebut. The balance of flavors is a little unsettling on the palate. Mouth feel a little watery. Quick to fade, lacking the complexities I expected. Hardly any taste notes during and after the fade.

Very disappointing especially after looking at this beers rating. Lacking in depth and complexity. Something I will avoid in the future.

09-30-2005 03:31:24 | More by Cadyfatcat
pwoods

2.7/5  rDev -24.4%

Thanks to beachbum1975 for sharing this.

12oz. brown bottle split between 2 glasses. Batch 41

A: Pours a crystal clear orangish amber. Shortish head that leaves a fluffy skim. Not much lacing.

S: Spicy, fruity. Very sweet malts. An odd alcohol twang, very different. Some apple juice in the nose.

T/M: Very juice, especially apple juice. Some spicy yeast. Malts aren't as sweet as I thought but this up there. Body is a bit thin for the style and carbonation is low.

D: Easy to drink but pretty off style.

02-17-2009 02:03:32 | More by pwoods
hotstuff

Indiana

2.73/5  rDev -23.5%

Batch #32. There was no head with this beer when it was poured into my glass. The body was carbonated, cloudy and there was some yeast observed. The hue reminded me of the hue of cider. The nose was that of alcohol and vinegar and the flavor was sour and also of alcohol. The mouthfeel was tingly, thin and watery. I could definitely taste the alcohol in this beer and it is a beer to be sipped and not guzzled in my opinion.

07-21-2003 17:27:38 | More by hotstuff
Bitterbill

Wyoming

2.73/5  rDev -23.5%

Bottle listed as Batch 32

Poured into glass with very little foam that disappeared completely after about a minute. The colour is really nice gold-copper and the smell, well, it kind of reminds me of the Sam Adams Triple Bock I had years ago.

The taste is a bit of a quagmire...a few things going on but not in a harmonious way. There's a tartness present that I don't find that appealing and the alcohol taste is definitely there. Is this really in the trippel style??

Well....I can say that I've tried it.

10-20-2005 00:12:08 | More by Bitterbill
ManekiNeko

2.75/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

12 oz bottle of batch #34. Served chilled in a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Murky orange color with little yeast floaties in it. Barely adequate light beige head with somewhat decent retention. Ok lacing.

Smell: Heady aromas of honey and caramel malts. Yeasty and bready, too. Alcoholic presence on nose with hints of clove and other spices.

Taste: Sweet, brandy-like malts. Heavy alcoholic taste and feel. Lingering honey and yeasty tastes.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and full bodied. Very warming. Alcohol is not masked at all.

Drinkability: Interesting, definitely not as masterfully done as some other non-Belgian tripels (Unibroue and Allagash come to mind). The lack of alcohol masking hurts this. I probably not buy this one again, unless I make a mistake.

09-19-2003 01:35:16 | More by ManekiNeko
deejaydan

2.78/5  rDev -22.1%

Wow. I poured this into a regular beer glass and got about 2 inches of beer, the rest was a foamy head. What color was there was, well, pale yellow. There is an overpowering aroma, I can't quite place it, though I'd almost say an overripe nectarine. Taste of fruitiness, but there is still something not quite "right" here. There is plenty of lacing left on the glass. This beer just doesn't do it for me.

06-09-2004 21:08:44 | More by deejaydan
Prufrock

2.78/5  rDev -22.1%

12 oz. bottle into a wine glass.

pours with an inch of white bubbling head that leaves average lacing. opaque golden orange with some sediment that dances in the carbonation.

sweet and sour aroma. honey, bready sweetness with a touch of belgian sour and a trace of vomit.

butterscotch and honey sweetness, with enough hops to cleanse the palate. sweetness gets a little excessive as the beer warms and the hops fade, hurting the drinkability. relatively light body for a tripel, with a crisp carbonation.

limited complexity with little to note about the taste. not what i expect from a tripel.

12-15-2005 05:12:31 | More by Prufrock
corby112

2.83/5  rDev -20.7%

I was quite disappointed in this beer. The color was an intriguing pale amber but it had a citrus/floral aroma to it. Tasted very light and flowery like the aroma. This brew is inspired by belgian triples but didn't really taste like one in my opinion.

12-02-2008 08:00:20 | More by corby112
BeerManDan

2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

When poured, it poured a thick hazy amber, reddish hue. No foam in the glass or lace on the side of the glass.

The smell was of spices and whatever. Not really impressed with the aroma for this Tripel.

The flavor was even less than the smell or aroma. There was just nothing there at the finish. It was thick and not a lot going for it.

I am really dissapointed with his Tripel and Hair of the Dog. This is the weakest ale I've tasted from this brewery. Fred and Adam are my best ale's, so I expected the same with Rose. NOTHING!

08-20-2007 00:31:51 | More by BeerManDan
kjyost

Manitoba (Canada)

2.88/5  rDev -19.3%

Batch 40 - Pours with little head and no lacing atop a brownish red body. When looked at from the right angle, you can definately see the 'rose' they were looking for. Smells really nice, with a flowery and wine like bouquet, with a sweet slightly malty aroma.

The taste is odd. Initially I feel like I am drinking a wine. The lack of substantive carbonation furthers the illusion. No bitterness rather sweet and flowery. Not my cup of tea, but if you like a Sauvingon Blanc wirh little oak this would be up your alley.

Had no clue what this was going to be like, expecting a belgian, and I can taste little of what I traditionally understand belgians to be, no spice or fruit. The hibiscus is overpowering. If I weren't so cheap I may have drainpoured it because it wasn't what I was expecting nor looking for.

04-01-2010 02:42:28 | More by kjyost
CH3CH2OH

2.93/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured a rusty orange with a thin head that quickly dissipated. Strong, bready aroma changing to viniferous. Taste is green apple sour choking off a bit of sweet malt. Mouthfeel is about right for a tripel, and drinkability improves as I get acclimated to it. Not interested in another one.

08-23-2006 03:00:38 | More by CH3CH2OH
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.93/5  rDev -17.9%

Bottle: Poured a medium hazy amber color ale with a medium foamy head with below average retention. Aroma consists of sweet malt with some very subtle yeast characteristics and some spiciness. Taste is dominated by a cloying sweetness which is rather unspectacular with some spices. Body is fuller then average with some low carbonation which doesn’t benefit for the style. Overall, I thought this was a rather unspectacular take on a style that I usually enjoy a great deal.

02-26-2007 18:43:57 | More by Phyl21ca
beachbum1975

2.95/5  rDev -17.4%

12 ounce brown bottled shared with pwoods last night in our impromptu Hair of the Dog tasting - batch 41, per the label. We never had any beers from this brewer, so it was a nice treat for both of us. (Another!) Thanks go out to bifrostguard for the quality extras!

Pours a clear amber with orange highlights. (This is a tripel?) Minimal tan head leaving light lacing. Minimal head retention.

The nose starts with a bit tart fruit, like cherries and then a way of condensed, sweet malts hit the palate. After further sniffing, I get some candied Belgian sugars.

Taste reflects the nose. Lots of sweet malts, light smoke and a trailing sweet and sour twang. Unique, but what's going on here? Not certain this is a tripel, but interesting none the less.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer, but I was a little confused to its' style, hence the lowered appearance and taste ratings. Very sweet and sour at times..

02-17-2009 15:44:14 | More by beachbum1975
bobsy

Ontario (Canada)

2.98/5  rDev -16.5%

Bottle conditioned and enjoyed at Volo. Poured a nice reddy caramel colour, with a rapidly diminishing head. Nose was floral and a aroma I just couldn't nail down. Predominant flavour was equally elusive - is it fruity or is it more vegetable? I looked at the bottle and realized that I was picking up on the beets added to the brew. Not like any other tripel flavour I've ever come across, but recommended. Finish left a nice hoppy dryness. Interesting drink, if only for the novelty value.

01-13-2008 03:49:57 | More by bobsy
necoadam

Connecticut

3.03/5  rDev -15.1%

Whoa, what a big beer this was.

Pours out a cloudy golden/orange color with a big head that had to settle down with time.

Smell consisted of lots of malts at first, with quite a bit of yeast following up on it and some fruit mingle around in the background. Quite a bit of alcohol also in the nose.

Taste was powerful but a little off. Malts and some slight hops that just jumped out of nowhere hit the palate first. Then comes the yeast and slight spices and blends in with some fruit, but the alcohol is all over the place at all times and does last into the aftertaste. Some fruit also shows up but just adds to the sweetness of this brew.

This is a big beer, but sometimes throwing everything into the pot doesn't make it great. This bad boy needs some taming.

11-18-2004 22:09:01 | More by necoadam
isubsmith

3.03/5  rDev -15.1%

Appearance: Red/orange cloudy-but-not-entirely-opaque. White foamy head.

Nose: Hmmm. Very curious. Not all-together pleasant. Soury notes. Grass. Heavy duty yeast. Sweet.

Taste: Sweet. Not what I really expected from a tripel. Some citrus notes. Some sour notes. As it warmed, I found myself liking it less. Crisp carbonation. Medium body.

Drinkability: If you keep it overly cold, it is more drinkable. As it warmed up to a reasonable serving temperature from the ABV, I found myself liking it less.

Definately not what I was expecting from a tripel.

12-18-2005 04:53:49 | More by isubsmith