Rose - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

good

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Tripel |  7.50% ABV

Originally known as 'Golden Rose' - discontinued in 2005.

"Rose is inspired by the Belgian Tripel style. It is a top fermented ale which has a deep golden color with a light refreshing body. The beer has a subtle hop profile using the Northwest's finest whole hop flowers. We use Aromatic and Honey malts along with Candy Sugar to give it a unique and fruity character. It is 6% alcohol by weight (7.5% by volume)."

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 02-27-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rose Alström Bros
Wasatch

Utah

3.98/5  rDev +11.5%

Batch 40 Bottled Conditioned

Pours a cloudy deep dark orangy color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy off-white head, some sticky lacing around the edges. The nose is malty, slightly yeasty, biscuity, flowery, with some spices and caramel. The is malty, flowery, with some beets, and caramel. Medium body. Recommended for sure, I really like this one, it's different to style and different all together. Thumbs up HOTD.

06-26-2007 02:19:15 | More by Wasatch
BlindPig

4.28/5  rDev +19.9%

A- Thick white head (might be just a tad off from pure white) on a cloudy dark red and brown body.
S- Banana, light clove, hints of pineapple, sweeter caramel, and one other thing I can't seem to pin point.
T- I get a blend of a floral taste and bananas. Cloves are in there along with some other kind of spices (maybe some pepper?). Nice rich fresh fruity flavors. Medium bitterness on mid and tip of tongue. Alcohol is pretty warm (especially for 7.50%) and tickles the tongue.
M- Medium to full body with low carbonation. Smooth yet parts grab to your tongue. Love the feel to this brew.
D- I think it is very tasty. Yes there are better triples out there but I really like this American take on it. Has some different flavors in there that aren't found in classic ones and I like it.

05-31-2007 03:59:07 | More by BlindPig
akorsak

3.13/5  rDev -12.3%

A 12 oz bottle from Liquid Solutions.

A: The tripel is surprisingly dark, amber to red with a haziness that enhances the dry red color (if dry is the proper adjective for a color). Head was active, gradually spilling out of the bottle before pour. Lacing is extensive.

S: The aroma is beet, with a dry peanut like finish. The spices that I expected did not show up.

T: The taste, ahh the taste. What can be said about it? The flavor is the same as I picked up in the nose, beety. I must say that I am not a fan. The flavor is dry, to the point that one instinctively reaches for another sip. Some sugary sweetness emerges at the end of a sip, but it it tainted by that distinct flavor. Is this what hibiscus tastes like?

M: The mouthfeel is unusual, almost undrinkable in its dryness. Despite that, I am drawn to the novelty of the beer. It intrigues me like a roadside accident.

D: HotD does not disappoint in its spunk, this beer will not win any awards in my book but it breaks barriers.

05-26-2007 00:41:02 | More by akorsak
NJpadreFan

2.28/5  rDev -36.1%

Hair of the Dog- Rose

On tap at The Drafting Room- SpringHouse, PA

Appearance- Bright glowing orange, hazy and murky with a thick soapy white head.
Smell- Strong candi sugar. Very sweet and fruity.
Taste- Whoa!! Sugary sweet, like rock candy. Huge hints of orange, cranberry, pinapple, and alcohol. I swear it tasted like a fruity girl drink. (sex on the beach, vodka/ cranberry, etc..)
Mouthfeel- sweet and fruity.

Overall- I'll pass on this sickingly sweet wine cooler. My 1st HOTD was a bust but it won't perterb me from trying others!

03-11-2007 14:08:23 | More by NJpadreFan
ccrida

Oregon

1.98/5  rDev -44.5%

Batch # 41, poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass, Rose is hazy, amberish orange with a creamy and firm off-white head, 1 finger tall and long lasting, particularly the collar, although very little lace.
The aroma, ughh. Beets beets beets, I dont like them and they make this tripel beat. When I read the label stated hibiscus flowers, beets and pink peppercorns, I assumed he meant beet sugar, being that this is supposedly a Belgian Style Trippel. I'm a big fan of that style, and there is very little about this brew that reminds me of it. Very dissapointing, especially as good as the other Hair of the Dog offerings I've had. Being a homebrewer myself, I'm all for taking risks with a recipe, but this one just ain't ready for primetime, and certainly shouldn't be marketed as a trippel.
Anyways, I should finish (the effort is equal for this review and the beer). The taste is even more dominated by beets, so much so that I can't really break down anything else, or maybe I just don't want to.
The mouthfeel is moderate, pretty carbonated and a bit creamy.
The drinkability on this is very low if you don't like beats. I don't, and this sucker is a struggle, although philosophically, I would never not finish a beer!
My score is mainly based on reviewing this as a trippel, although if I was just considering it in general, it wouldn't be much better...

03-11-2007 03:20:21 | More by ccrida
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.93/5  rDev -17.9%

Bottle: Poured a medium hazy amber color ale with a medium foamy head with below average retention. Aroma consists of sweet malt with some very subtle yeast characteristics and some spiciness. Taste is dominated by a cloying sweetness which is rather unspectacular with some spices. Body is fuller then average with some low carbonation which doesn’t benefit for the style. Overall, I thought this was a rather unspectacular take on a style that I usually enjoy a great deal.

02-26-2007 18:43:57 | More by Phyl21ca
alexatlatx

2.05/5  rDev -42.6%

Bottle conditioned Tripel style with "hibiscus flowers, beets and pink peppercorns." I bought this beer at City beer here in SF because I saw Hair of the Dog featured on "Beer Nuts," which is a show on INHD. 12oz bottle, batch 41.

Anyway, I poured this into a Maudite glass. It came out a burnt-orange/copper color and pretty hazy--possibly due to the pour, since it is bottle conditioned. I tried to be careful.

The aroma smelled definitely of beets and trash.

The taste is definitely along the lines of sour beets, it gets better as it warms up but not much.

Tastes more mellow, sweet and less sour with with some dark chocolate (had it with a Men's Pocky stick). Taste pretty terrible after eating a strawberry.

Overall I was bummed that it wasn't as "red" as I was expecting. Also I seemed to believe that the beets would add more positive flavor notes to the beer, and the peppercorns might add spice. Anyway I finished it.

02-21-2007 05:53:02 | More by alexatlatx
rallison

4.75/5  rDev +33.1%

1998 Vintage on tap at Stuffed Sandwich.

A: Golden orange color with some lacing that remains.

S: Smells of tropical fruits, honey, and earthy.

T: Caramel, toffee, tropical fruits, earthy bite. Semi tart. Little bit of alcohol burn at the end that kind of rounds everything out. Nice tart sweetness (does that make sense?) that lingers. Just a nice balance of tart and sweet.

M: Rich and smooth - love it. The tartness and alcohol at the end make it even more enjoyable.

D: Very high, despite the tartness. I wish I had that keg it was pouring from.

Loved this on tap from 98. While this doesn't seem to be the most popular tripel, I thought this beer, aged, was exceptional.

02-15-2007 08:27:01 | More by rallison
Westsidethreat

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Vintage '98 on draft at the Stuffed Sandwich.

A: Burn umber color, very cloudy. Head is medium sized, light khaki tint to them.

S: Toffee, oak, vinegar and vanilla.

T: Begins ciderlike, slightly pungent with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. Very caramely with butter creme crossed with apricot preserves. One can find rose pedals grape juice and vitamin C in this beer as well. Finishes quite tart, almost sour even. Tartness pricks the tongue as it washes across the palate. Aftertaste is honey soaked raisins.

M: Medium body, sort of syrupy.

D: Even with its age, this one was overly sweet. But it still hasn't peaked, still has some legs on it.

02-06-2007 01:14:29 | More by Westsidethreat
Phatz

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Appearance: Pours golden copper amber with modest head.

Smell: Perfumey, yeast honey floral aroma and sweet fruity esters.

Taste: It has a yeasty honey sweet tart floral attribute with fruity peachy esters, a malt backbone and spices and alcohol showing through. The aftertaste lingers endlessly.

Mouthfeel: A bit alcoholic on the cheeks. clings to the palate a bit roughly. Otherwise smooth and dry.

Drinkability: This is not my favorite triple or my favorite beer from Hair of the Dog, but not bad to try once. I am over it now.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

02-05-2007 02:11:04 | More by Phatz
grub

Ontario (Canada)

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

batch 41

pours slightly hazy pink wiht a thin whisp of fine white head that disappears almost immediately and leaves no lace.

aroma is nice. bit of fruit and spice. dried cranberry and cherry. pepper. i get some DMS off it too, but not at an unpleasant level.

taste is good. alcohol is more prominent than i expected. bit of pepper. light toffee sweetness. low bitterness. light dried fruit, cranberry and cherry. slightly chocolatey too. definitely gets better as it warms.

mouthfeel is ok. nice light body and dry finish. low carbonation level, and i expected it to be a little higher.

drinkability is ok. alcohol is more prominent than expected, but that should mellow with time, and balanced better as it warmed. a fairly light and enjoyable beer.

01-18-2007 02:48:30 | More by grub
dherling

4.05/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured out an orange brown opaque color crowned by a medium sized bubbly qhite head. The nose is woody, walnuts, alcohol, floral, rose, yeast, and wood. The taste is butty, woody, like peanuts, peanut shells, roasted malt, wood, and a bit of smoke. Had a medium body, decent carbonation, and a long smokey finish. A bit overwhelming, and a totally different, but enjoyable brew.

01-14-2007 01:28:27 | More by dherling
BeerRun13

3.5/5  rDev -2%

This one's actually labeled "Golden Rose - batch # 14." This ones been aging for a while.
Mostly clear but still magnifying auburn type of color. No head, maybe just a little ring and no lace.
Kind of chocolatey with some candi sugar aroma.
Lots of chocolate in the flavor as well. Seems kind of strange for a tripel, bubt this one is old. Maybe a hint of banana/clove.
Full bodied and extremely low carbonation. Silky smooth going down.
I wonder if age has taken it's toll on this one. I'd love to have afresh one to compare this to. years may have really mellowed this one out.

12-08-2006 00:26:26 | More by BeerRun13
watermelonman

3.98/5  rDev +11.5%

This arrived as a bright and clear red. It had just a ring for a head but still left some lace.

The smell has strong spice and peppers with pale malts. The taste brings a mild sourness and light esters. The mouthfeel was unique, being slightly tart. The drinkability was pretty good.

Hardly a conventional tripel, this take on the style came out fairly well.

11-25-2006 07:40:14 | More by watermelonman
msubulldog25

Oregon

3.3/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A 12 oz. bottle of batch #41, poured to a Chimay goblet.

A: A silty copper-reddish color with a trace of white head that quickly dissipates to film. Because of the etched design (fleur-de-lis) in the bowl of the goblet, the wispy film developed a lovely star-shaped pattern. The bottle credits ingredients such as hibiscus flowers, beets & pink peppercorns for the "rose" complexion. Interesting...

S: Earthy, herbal/floral, trace of wood, trace of spice, prevailing yeasty sour/tart twang...little of the sweetness expected from a "Belgian Tripel Style Ale". Hmmm...

T: Oddly, despite the fact that this is an atypical take on this style I like it well enough. Unfortunately, some of the tartness from the aroma is present. However, I like the highly floral flavors in this beer; also I enjoy it's dryness and restrained spiciness.

M: Slick and pretty watery. The sourness lingers with a touch of the herbal/floral.

D: As much as I love other Hair of the Dog beers, I'm not a big fan of this one. I'll try it again and will experiment with one a bit more mature - as mine was from the most recent batch, I wonder how much of a factor more age would be?

10-03-2006 00:29:38 | More by msubulldog25
kmudrick

1.7/5  rDev -52.4%

Poured from bottle into a Chimay chalice.

Poured thin with a slight swirl of thin froth that didn't seem to go away.
Appearance is murky but pleasant and inviting - almost Granny Smith apple juice-colored. The scent, however, is... not right. I'm picking up flows of tree bark? It's kind of like a moldy, grain-alcohol-soaked caramelized cardboard smell. The taste is flat and pungent with a hint of something like vegemite or marmite combined with a disgusting medicine that completely overpowers any fruit that may have been tossed into this thing. The mouthfeel is light for a tripel, but then again, this makes Golden Monkey taste amazing. My mouth would be happy servicing this all night, but only if my taste buds were completely wrecked. By far, this was my worst reaction to a beer. I wonder if maybe the Foodery got a bad batch, like what happened with the HOTD Ruth?

10-01-2006 05:25:11 | More by kmudrick
bwyker

1.2/5  rDev -66.4%

Pours a musty beige-brown with a thin off-white head. Nothing in appearance can prepare you for what you are about to smell. Fermented cardboard and wet socks, rust, maybe some composting leaves. I almost poured this down the drain before taking a sip. I wish I had. First sip, dirt, rotten greens…I’m not even kidding here. Mouthfeel, well, I wanted to spit it out, so I’m not sure how fair I can be on that. Drinkability, I took maybe three sips and the rest is going down the drain. I think I’d rather drink Bud Light after it had been sitting out open for a day. Most disgusting beer I’ve ever had, hands down.

10-01-2006 05:17:57 | More by bwyker
GCBrewingCo

3.5/5  rDev -2%

The beer poured into the chalice clear medium amber with an off-white low persistent head which left traced on the glass.

The aroma was fruity and estery with a bit of banana and some light pepper notes. A low bit of vegetal character was notable as well. Some Belgian yeast spice was present and caramel malt was apparent in the aroma.

The flavor was mostly comprised of caramel with a bit of a corny flavor (DMS). Some spice presence made up the flavor, but for the most part it was malt and a bit of alcohol. The flavor was also lightly vegetal as was noted in the aroma.

The finish was dry with a lasting bit of light peppery spice and a very slight vegetal flavor into the aftertaste. The body was just below medium with a fairly low carbonation level. Nothing complex at all about this one, dunno why they call it a tripel, too dark, and it really doesn't resemble one at all.

12 ounce bottle.

09-26-2006 22:48:08 | More by GCBrewingCo
kimcgolf

Georgia

3.13/5  rDev -12.3%

This was a hard one to rate for me. I actually had an old predecessor of Rose, called "Golden Rose", Batch 32, bottled in about 1997. Poured to a cloudy burgundy color, with suspended particles, and absolutely no head or lacing. Aroma was a very sour dark fruit, mostly plums and grapes. The flavor was very tangy and almost like vinegar. Finish was also sour and tangy, reminded me of apple cider that had been kept too long. I think this may have been a better beer in its day, and so I gave it some benefit of the doubt, but this particular one was past its prime...this was actually more like rating wine.

09-10-2006 16:16:53 | More by kimcgolf
stephendr

3.53/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Muddy brown color – sharp quickly dissipating white head - nose of honey , cream , sour red cherries , hay / grass , cobwebs , and malts - taste of sour red cherries , grapefruits , orange peels , malts , brown sugar , citrus ( both lemon and lime ) , and chocolate - medium body semi acidic and bubbly - aftertaste of sour acidic red fruit , malts and grapefruits

08-30-2006 05:26:25 | More by stephendr
CH3CH2OH

2.93/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured a rusty orange with a thin head that quickly dissipated. Strong, bready aroma changing to viniferous. Taste is green apple sour choking off a bit of sweet malt. Mouthfeel is about right for a tripel, and drinkability improves as I get acclimated to it. Not interested in another one.

08-23-2006 03:00:38 | More by CH3CH2OH
bjohnson

3.13/5  rDev -12.3%

$3.20 for a 12oz bottle. Not sure if that was worth it, but we'll find out. Batch 38.

A: Pours a cloudy dark amber color with slight orange highlights. One finger white head has some retention. Very fizzy and bubbly as its pouring into the glass. Good lace.
S: Spicy notes with soft floral aromas coupled with sharp fruit notes, such as peaches, pears, or nectarines. Abv is slightly noticeable.
T/M: Big spicy notes with a chalkyness to it. Nice fruit notes also come through after the initial taste. Very pale tasting tripel with a lot of spice. I'm not sure how I feel about this one. At first, soft and light on the palate, followed by a grittyness that can be felt on the tongue.
D: Drinkable, but I'd pass on this one again. Rose didn't do it for me.

08-08-2006 00:49:50 | More by bjohnson
cbl2

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

9/30/2005 $4.29 12 oz. 7.50% No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a hazy orange with mild carbonation that leads to a thin white head which has decent retention.

Aroma:

Brewed with hibiscus and pink peppercorns, this has a semi-sweet aroma coupled with an intense spicyness that is both vegetative and peppery.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

This is a tongue tingler, with a peppery zest that wraps itself around a mild sweetness that intensifies as the brew warms in the mouth, also revealing a healthy dose of alcohol. I served this a bit too cold, and it does improve as it warms, though the overriding flavors are a dry pepper quality.

07-31-2006 18:13:58 | More by cbl2
Georgiabeer

Georgia

4.28/5  rDev +19.9%

Batch number 40

Poured a reddish brown with a faint head that dissipated quickly.

Smell is mostly of hibiscus tea with some earthy funkiness in the back.

Taste is very unusual. Somewhere between an oud bruin and a lambic, but its no trick of the yeast- the separate flavor components are very distinguishable- first a strong hibiscus flavor and sourness, then some nice earthy hop flavor followed by a distinct but subtle peppercorn flavor. This is not a spicy flavor, but an interesting aromatic from the pink peppercorns that is more rounded than a black peppercorn with a hint of fruit. Even though the separate components are identifiable, there is quite a nice integration of the various tastes, with each flavor seemlessly transitioning into the next and with the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

The mouthfeel gets better as the beer sits, eventually resulting in both a wonderful creaminess, and a tartness from the hibiscus. Really nice.

This beer grows on you. I kept nudging the scores upward in my mind as I continued to drink, and as the beer integrated more through breathing. It is definitely an unusual beer, best appreciated by those who like lambics- though its not near as tart as a real lambic. I think I would continue to fall in love with this beer as I continued drinking.

If you suck this beer down quick, you'll miss the beautiful creaminess and integration that occurs as it breathes.

07-21-2006 07:15:17 | More by Georgiabeer
beckje01

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

First beer opened with my new BA opener.

Batch #40

A- Redish hard to see through, with alittle activity but no head.

S- Slightly floral but very faint.

T- Lots of beet taste with a strong kick of peppercorn at the end leaving a small bite of alcohol.

M- Very active on the tounge alittle harsh for the style

D- I think this could be a very drinkable beer but for me the tastes just dont do it not what I'm looking for from a Tripel but worth a try if you see it around.

07-19-2006 04:11:47 | More by beckje01