Doggie Claws - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Oregon, United States

American Barleywine |  11.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: faernt on 11-16-2004

"a Barley Wine made in the West Coast style. Big malt and hops make this copper colored ale one of our most popular products. Produced in September and October and released in November, this Beer will improve for years to come. Alcohol: 11.5% by volume. IBU's 70"

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

2004 Vintage
I got this doggy in a trade with a generous BA who gave me a 2004 vintage; nice! The beer was poured into a snifter. The color was muddy-brown and red. The head was almost nonexistent save for a few white bubbles clinging to the side. The taste was a little chocolate and cocoa. The alcohol was prickly on my tongue. Very strong beer and good but I still prefer Bigfoot and Old Boardhead.

2/16/08 2007 Vintage

Thanks to vwcraig for the bottle as part of a recent trade. I wanted to re-review this as I have not had it fresh (or close to fresh). Nice appearance, hazy orange-red with a film of bubbles and a ring around the outside. The smell is immediately hoppy and awesome. I think I can almost smell the honey too but that may be the power of suggestion from the label. Slight hint of alcohol fumes but damn the smell is so good. I had to bump the smell score up a bit. The taste is very good and unlike any barleywine I've had. Super hoppy and the honey is detectable with a sweet flavor. Now I just need to find some for my cellar!

04/11/08 2002 vintage 10% abv

I was able to score a couple bottles thanks to a BA mentioning a store in CO that sells vintage beers. I was told this was past its prime but it was only $3 so I figured why not? The color is a light orange with a decent head that recedes but is still a one cm layer of bubbles. The aroma is instant oxidation but then lots of cherries and fruits, interesting. The body is kinda thin but the flavor is still good, dark fruits but the flavor seems to run from my palate. It gives you a good idea and then its gone.
This is still a good beer but I would agree that it is probably past its prime and I don't see it getting any better, just thinner.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Got on tap at Bottleworks in Seattle, WA. The store was pretty dark so I could get a great appearance review but I did what I could.

A: Deep redish/purple. Not much head (due to the pour?), but what was there left awesome lacing. After I drank it down a ways and swirled it I was getting decent head. Lacing hung around forever.

S: Big grape smell. Fruity and sweet. Citrus and grapefruit. Faint alcohol. Light caramel. Very mild hop presence.

T: Faint bit of hop bitterness. Big grapefruit or sour grapes, but good. Hides the 11.5% very well.

M: Full-bodied. Lightly creamy. Dry

O: Very good. Anything that can have this much alcohol and not let it show is doing a good job. Very good desert drink. Winding the day down.

Doggie Claws from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room