Doggie Claws - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Barleywine |  11.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

"a Barley Wine made in the West Coast style. Big malt and hops make this copper colored ale one of our most popular products. Produced in September and October and released in November, this Beer will improve for years to come. Alcohol: 11.5% by volume. IBU's 70"

(Beer added by: faernt on 11-16-2004)

NinjaPenguin, Feb 25, 2014

qazeqaz, Mar 02, 2014
1.73/5  rDev -58.6%

Thanks to the long-absent ThirstyHopHead, who sent me this in a very good trade before heading for the hills. Hope you are well, my friend!

Poured into my very nice Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence goblet (where'd I get that thing, anyways?) & it is, as advertised, a deep copper color. Small, persistent head. Smell is in some kind of garbled code. Roughage, hops, alcohol.

Doggie Claws lays down a base of caramel fire that everything else plays off of. Honey appears to be in the house, or perhaps just some sugar sweet malts. Then comes something unpleasant. Whether it's the yeasts (which I carefully left in the bottle), oxidation, or something else, there's an unpleasant, downright nasty undercurrent of wet boot. It sticks to the top of my mouth. It gets worse as the beer warms. I'm not going to be able to drink this. I'm sad.

What the hay? This is the second Hair brew I've had & I've been underwhelmed & revolted, in that order. Whether there's something wrong with the bottle, this is pungent, & not in a good way. Drain pour.

maximum12, Oct 01, 2009

Pours opaque muddy brown with suspended yeast as well. Looks exactly like muddy water. Worst looking beer I've ever seen by far. ZERO carbonation and head. Unpleasantly chunky, gritty, thick palate. Smell is of alcohol and muddy, earthy hops. Flavor is overly sweet with a mild earthy bitterness and earthy, herbal hop flavor and touch of alcohol following. Tastes, feels, and looks like tree bark smashed up in sugar water. Doesn't resemble beer at all, excessively sweet, and an unenjoyable drainpour. To me, very overrated.

JDV, Mar 15, 2008

guajolote, Jan 15, 2012
2.3/5  rDev -45%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Beer pours with no head, dispite an aggressive pour. Its petty clear and a very attractive color, but looks like a dark fruity bourbon with the completely still surface. A stiff swirl gives nothing either.

I can tell by the taste and aroma that this beer has so much potential. It fares heavily on the citrus and dark fruits side of the Barley wine spectrum, and other then the brightness of citrus didn't have much in the way of Hop flavors or aroma, maybe the flatness is causing this notion. This drinks alot more like a bright Old Ale then a BW.

The slick and flat mouthfeel is what really brings this beer down. it ruins the appearance, diminishes the palette ability to perceive the flavors, and doesn't carry the aroma up and out.

I have a feeling this would be a totally awesome bottle with some bubbles going on, but from reviews it looks like the carb levels have been all over.

ChadQuest, Dec 08, 2010
2.48/5  rDev -40.7%

Picked up a 12oz bottle of the 2008 vintage from Healthy Spirits in San Francisco, CA. Poured into a small snifter.

No head, no retention. Absolutely none. Opaque, murky brown color. No lacing, almost non-existent carbonation.

Quite a rummy, alcohol infused nose. Well balanced with some slightly sweeter malts, caramel and candied raisin.

Taste is quite strong. Alcohol could be better hidden. Similar in characteristic to the nose.

Mouth is full bodied with no carbonation. The lack of carbonation makes this extremely flat and difficult to drink. The mouth is murky and somewhat gritty. Lasting aftertaste.

ibbjamin, Mar 13, 2009

DrMindbender, Jul 17, 2014

djmichaelk, Jul 27, 2013

xraided81, Dec 18, 2011

Hrdqore, Aug 10, 2014
2.58/5  rDev -38.3%

Appearance: Dark rust color, hazy, with lots of visible sediment. Head is small, carbonation is fairly visible.

Smell: Dark fruit, sweet floral hops, alcohol, brown sugar, very nice.

Taste: Off flavor immedietly present. A melted plastic flavor hinders this flavor immensly. There is a nice amount of hops and malt, and I was excited to try this one, but the bottle is infected, skunked, or just has an odd flavor.

Mouthfeel: OK, but the taste really makes me dislike this beer in it's entirity.

Drinkability: Sans off flavor, this beer would be great. As is, I wouldn't recommend it.

TastyTaste, Jan 17, 2006
2.66/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3-26-2009
Pours a murky brown color with a dismal off white head that dissipates instantly. Smells of citrus brown sugar caramel a bit of alcohol. Tastes of caramel and citrus, lots of lemon comes through. Some alcohol mixed with a mild astringency and some yeasty flavors round this one out. Sweet almost cloying but offset with the lemon and alcohol. The body on this is thinner than you'd think. Carbonation is very low. Mouthfeel is syrupy and sticky. Based on the other reviews I may have gotten a bad bottle. I will revisit this one as I have a couple more bottles, but as is this one is going to clean my kitchen sink.

1-25-2014
2013 Bottle from craft shack shared with HoppasaurusRex.
Pours a murky brown color with a couple of hollow bubbles floating on the top. The aroma is stagnant molasses, brown sugar, malt syrup and honey with hints of earth and citrus. The flavor is sweet sugary unfermented wort with hints of citrus. Sticky syrupy mouthfeel, marginal carbonation with a medium to thick body. This beer went down Todd's sink. I don't know why I can't seem to find a decent bottle of this beer, but I might just be done with HOTD altogether.

johnnnniee, Jan 26, 2014
2.68/5  rDev -35.9%

Aged in a magnum bottle. Pours a cloudy golen hue with some red hints to it. Very nice large white head sits atop. I’m having trouble contrasting the smell and taste to anything else. Stone’s Double Bastard comes to mine, but this has a bit of vinegar on the back side. For being aged, this still has quite a bit of alcohol present. A different style of barleywine to say the least. There is quite a bit of smoothed out hop presence in the taste. I’d have to say that I think this is past it’s prime. Still drinkable, but would have been better at maybe 1-2 years, IMO.

FtownThrowDown, Aug 30, 2007
2.78/5  rDev -33.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A Pours a dark cloudy brown color topped off with a pretty thick white head.

S Lots of hop type notes. Lots of pine and a bit of citrus. Also a hint of a sweet malt type note.

T Maybe its just this bottle but there is definitely an off taste here that I just can't put my finger on. I don't know what it is but it keeps me from enjoying what seems to be a hoppy piney barley wine.

M Thick almost syrupy like a barley wine should be.

Overall I would have liked this one a lot more if it wasn't for that unpleasant off note that just kills the flavor for me.

beerandcycling88, Nov 27, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -32.3%

2009 bottle. The barley wine part is excellent, but this is one of the sweetest beers I've ever had. The aftertaste is pure sweet sticky honey. Rather cloying. Perhaps it will improve with age, but not what I'm looking for now. Rather disappointing since I do like sweeter beers, but this example is just TOO sweet.

Strawbs, Jun 01, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -30.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle. 5 bucks for a 12oz? I guess.

A. Deep amber orange color with no head at all

S. Malt sweetness, different spices and earthiness. Perhaps a cherry sweetness too

T. Holy sweetness, the malts are so sweet, my first sip was not good nor were the ones to follow.

M. The taste in my mouth is horrible from this, no carbonation. The alcohol is hidden well which is a bad thing for this beer.

D. One was to much of this. Definitely a sipper, if that.

I'm disappointed with this beer, especially since it was 5 dollars.. Way to sweet for me. Wont be getting this again

Silenus89, Jan 02, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -29.9%

I'm drinking a 2006 bottle that I bought at the brewery when new and aged in my cellar. Unfortunately I have most of the case left, because it is not aging well. The caps must not be attached well, because the beer is still. This is not the only bottle in the case to turn out flat, either. Strange, because an earlier Doggie Claws -- 2003 -- was extremely bubbly, so much that the brewery sold cases at a hefty discount for several years afterward. It kept building up fizziness in the bottle. And it was a great beer! Champagne-like in its color and delicate flavor, once you waited for the head to die down. But there is no way to let the head "die up" on the newer one. It tasted good when fresh, but aging is supposed to benefit it. Well....It's a copper-colored, flat, sweet, strong drink. Sort of like an off--brand sherry. It might be good for cooking, except for all the hops. Really a shame because I usually like this brewery and love this beer.

chezztone, Dec 17, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -29.4%

2001 edition. Or it is 1968?

(Big) Huge,1.5L bottle...or as it states on the label: 1 Quart 1 pint / 2.7 fluid oz. Gee, that system simplifies things.

A bizarre-looking glass full of tan-peach liquid nitrogen. Head is about 2 shades lighter. Massive initially, then fades to nothing.
Nostrils are bombarded with candied apricot sweetness and piney, whole leaf (whole plant?) hops. Toffee takes refuge here. But it is quickly located and neutralized by the oppressive alcohol regime that is gaining power by the moment.
Fruit inflitrates and permeates the entire beverage. Certainly complex. Intense mangoes and heavy peach syrup notes organize successful bombing runs. The war is expanded into sour lime and green apples. Layered on a secured butter-toffee basecamp.
Sounds like all is well so far, huh?
Well, that quickly changes. Solvent-like ethanol is set aflame and burns injudiciously all that could have prospered. This is a massacre of unfounded proportions; the Pol Pot of brews. It is a shame, really, as the once benevolent fruity hues are relocated and slaughtered in a murderous siege sponsored by a junta of rubber cement, petroleum, and chemical byproducts. Napalm perhaps, with hints of Agent Orange? This shit will defoliate anything.
I am left with a mouthful of clinging, burning plastic, as the hops enter to raid whatever remains standing. A lone pine tree, coated in wax and gasoline, is a silhouette against the smoldering horizion.
A helicopter descends to evacuate whatever it can. I was not fortunate enough to be included on the flight.
I am forced to face the residual carnage, alone and frightened. The burning landscape is cloyingly adhered to the inside of my mind and my mouth.

The Horror! The Horror!

This is a complex and interesting chapter in (beer) history. Yet in many ways, it is one that should remain unexplored.

A Post-Traumatic-Stress-Disordered thanks to Lt. Bighuge for the tour of duty.

cokes, Dec 20, 2002

Clonies720, Jun 09, 2013

BrewtalHonesty, Aug 29, 2014

CityofBals, Sep 12, 2013

yourefragile, Jan 14, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

2012 bottle purchased a day ago.

i think i need to try another bottle. in reading the other reviews (other than one that seemed to have the same issue i did) this looks like a tasty brew. i couldn’t get over the feel, thick, no carbonation whatsoever, no head at all. the taste was good but i didnt get the right experience and i didnt finish the glass.

switzer, Dec 07, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -27%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hyrid glass on 4/7/12
*From notes

-- Thanks to SirRuss for this one --

Vintages 2010

A: First off, I popped the cap, put the bottle down on the counter to grab a glass, and by the time I came back, it had oozed all over the place, soaking my bills, magazines, etc. God damnit. I ended up losing almost half the bottle. As for color, well it's a dirty shade of cloudy piss. One of the ugliest beers I've ever seen. Overly bubbly white .75 finger head and no lacing or real semblance of a collar.

S: Figs, sugar plums and some seriously candied hops.

T: Very concentrated amount of residual sugar and overall sweetness. Toffee and caramel dominate the fore to mid. Alcohol washes over the back. Even two years in, this is still hot. And considering the "Secret of the Ooze" that happened upon opening, I do not detect any signs of infection.

M: Overcarbed to the max. Like a viscous soda pop.

O: There is absolutely no excuse for exploding bottles. It's a sin I lost so much of this to the counter. And it isn't the first time I've had an issue with HotD beers. I simply wish they could find a consistency to their products. Now you know why it gets a 2 overall.

As for their Doggie Claws, it's a nice beer that's got a bunch of warts. If they'd take the time to touch this up and give it a bit of TLC, this could be great. As it is, it's just ok.

Rhettroactive, Apr 12, 2012