Doggie Claws - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Barleywine |  11.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

"a Barley Wine made in the West Coast style. Big malt and hops make this copper colored ale one of our most popular products. Produced in September and October and released in November, this Beer will improve for years to come. Alcohol: 11.5% by volume. IBU's 70"

(Beer added by: faernt on 11-16-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

2.66/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3-26-2009
Pours a murky brown color with a dismal off white head that dissipates instantly. Smells of citrus brown sugar caramel a bit of alcohol. Tastes of caramel and citrus, lots of lemon comes through. Some alcohol mixed with a mild astringency and some yeasty flavors round this one out. Sweet almost cloying but offset with the lemon and alcohol. The body on this is thinner than you'd think. Carbonation is very low. Mouthfeel is syrupy and sticky. Based on the other reviews I may have gotten a bad bottle. I will revisit this one as I have a couple more bottles, but as is this one is going to clean my kitchen sink.

1-25-2014
2013 Bottle from craft shack shared with HoppasaurusRex.
Pours a murky brown color with a couple of hollow bubbles floating on the top. The aroma is stagnant molasses, brown sugar, malt syrup and honey with hints of earth and citrus. The flavor is sweet sugary unfermented wort with hints of citrus. Sticky syrupy mouthfeel, marginal carbonation with a medium to thick body. This beer went down Todd's sink. I don't know why I can't seem to find a decent bottle of this beer, but I might just be done with HOTD altogether.

01-26-2014 07:24:04 | More by johnnnniee
FtownThrowDown

2.68/5  rDev -35.9%

Aged in a magnum bottle. Pours a cloudy golen hue with some red hints to it. Very nice large white head sits atop. I’m having trouble contrasting the smell and taste to anything else. Stone’s Double Bastard comes to mine, but this has a bit of vinegar on the back side. For being aged, this still has quite a bit of alcohol present. A different style of barleywine to say the least. There is quite a bit of smoothed out hop presence in the taste. I’d have to say that I think this is past it’s prime. Still drinkable, but would have been better at maybe 1-2 years, IMO.

08-29-2007 23:20:51 | More by FtownThrowDown
beerandcycling88

2.78/5  rDev -33.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A Pours a dark cloudy brown color topped off with a pretty thick white head.

S Lots of hop type notes. Lots of pine and a bit of citrus. Also a hint of a sweet malt type note.

T Maybe its just this bottle but there is definitely an off taste here that I just can't put my finger on. I don't know what it is but it keeps me from enjoying what seems to be a hoppy piney barley wine.

M Thick almost syrupy like a barley wine should be.

Overall I would have liked this one a lot more if it wasn't for that unpleasant off note that just kills the flavor for me.

11-27-2011 23:10:07 | More by beerandcycling88
Strawbs

2.83/5  rDev -32.3%

2009 bottle. The barley wine part is excellent, but this is one of the sweetest beers I've ever had. The aftertaste is pure sweet sticky honey. Rather cloying. Perhaps it will improve with age, but not what I'm looking for now. Rather disappointing since I do like sweeter beers, but this example is just TOO sweet.

06-01-2010 16:46:13 | More by Strawbs
Silenus89

2.9/5  rDev -30.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle. 5 bucks for a 12oz? I guess.

A. Deep amber orange color with no head at all

S. Malt sweetness, different spices and earthiness. Perhaps a cherry sweetness too

T. Holy sweetness, the malts are so sweet, my first sip was not good nor were the ones to follow.

M. The taste in my mouth is horrible from this, no carbonation. The alcohol is hidden well which is a bad thing for this beer.

D. One was to much of this. Definitely a sipper, if that.

I'm disappointed with this beer, especially since it was 5 dollars.. Way to sweet for me. Wont be getting this again

01-02-2009 00:09:06 | More by Silenus89
chezztone

2.93/5  rDev -29.9%

I'm drinking a 2006 bottle that I bought at the brewery when new and aged in my cellar. Unfortunately I have most of the case left, because it is not aging well. The caps must not be attached well, because the beer is still. This is not the only bottle in the case to turn out flat, either. Strange, because an earlier Doggie Claws -- 2003 -- was extremely bubbly, so much that the brewery sold cases at a hefty discount for several years afterward. It kept building up fizziness in the bottle. And it was a great beer! Champagne-like in its color and delicate flavor, once you waited for the head to die down. But there is no way to let the head "die up" on the newer one. It tasted good when fresh, but aging is supposed to benefit it. Well....It's a copper-colored, flat, sweet, strong drink. Sort of like an off--brand sherry. It might be good for cooking, except for all the hops. Really a shame because I usually like this brewery and love this beer.

12-17-2008 04:24:00 | More by chezztone
cokes

Wisconsin

2.95/5  rDev -29.4%

2001 edition. Or it is 1968?

(Big) Huge,1.5L bottle...or as it states on the label: 1 Quart 1 pint / 2.7 fluid oz. Gee, that system simplifies things.

A bizarre-looking glass full of tan-peach liquid nitrogen. Head is about 2 shades lighter. Massive initially, then fades to nothing.
Nostrils are bombarded with candied apricot sweetness and piney, whole leaf (whole plant?) hops. Toffee takes refuge here. But it is quickly located and neutralized by the oppressive alcohol regime that is gaining power by the moment.
Fruit inflitrates and permeates the entire beverage. Certainly complex. Intense mangoes and heavy peach syrup notes organize successful bombing runs. The war is expanded into sour lime and green apples. Layered on a secured butter-toffee basecamp.
Sounds like all is well so far, huh?
Well, that quickly changes. Solvent-like ethanol is set aflame and burns injudiciously all that could have prospered. This is a massacre of unfounded proportions; the Pol Pot of brews. It is a shame, really, as the once benevolent fruity hues are relocated and slaughtered in a murderous siege sponsored by a junta of rubber cement, petroleum, and chemical byproducts. Napalm perhaps, with hints of Agent Orange? This shit will defoliate anything.
I am left with a mouthful of clinging, burning plastic, as the hops enter to raid whatever remains standing. A lone pine tree, coated in wax and gasoline, is a silhouette against the smoldering horizion.
A helicopter descends to evacuate whatever it can. I was not fortunate enough to be included on the flight.
I am forced to face the residual carnage, alone and frightened. The burning landscape is cloyingly adhered to the inside of my mind and my mouth.

The Horror! The Horror!

This is a complex and interesting chapter in (beer) history. Yet in many ways, it is one that should remain unexplored.

A Post-Traumatic-Stress-Disordered thanks to Lt. Bighuge for the tour of duty.

12-20-2002 02:01:42 | More by cokes

01-14-2012 00:11:45 | More by yourefragile
switzer

3.03/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

2012 bottle purchased a day ago.

i think i need to try another bottle. in reading the other reviews (other than one that seemed to have the same issue i did) this looks like a tasty brew. i couldn’t get over the feel, thick, no carbonation whatsoever, no head at all. the taste was good but i didnt get the right experience and i didnt finish the glass.

12-07-2012 18:18:16 | More by switzer
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

3.05/5  rDev -27%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hyrid glass on 4/7/12
*From notes

-- Thanks to SirRuss for this one --

Vintages 2010

A: First off, I popped the cap, put the bottle down on the counter to grab a glass, and by the time I came back, it had oozed all over the place, soaking my bills, magazines, etc. God damnit. I ended up losing almost half the bottle. As for color, well it's a dirty shade of cloudy piss. One of the ugliest beers I've ever seen. Overly bubbly white .75 finger head and no lacing or real semblance of a collar.

S: Figs, sugar plums and some seriously candied hops.

T: Very concentrated amount of residual sugar and overall sweetness. Toffee and caramel dominate the fore to mid. Alcohol washes over the back. Even two years in, this is still hot. And considering the "Secret of the Ooze" that happened upon opening, I do not detect any signs of infection.

M: Overcarbed to the max. Like a viscous soda pop.

O: There is absolutely no excuse for exploding bottles. It's a sin I lost so much of this to the counter. And it isn't the first time I've had an issue with HotD beers. I simply wish they could find a consistency to their products. Now you know why it gets a 2 overall.

As for their Doggie Claws, it's a nice beer that's got a bunch of warts. If they'd take the time to touch this up and give it a bit of TLC, this could be great. As it is, it's just ok.

04-12-2012 20:46:15 | More by Rhettroactive
vurt

3.05/5  rDev -27%

12 oz. bottle of the 2006 Doggie Claws, purchased from Hi-Time Cellars of Costa Mesa in January 2007.

A- Before I pop the top, I can see a full quarter inch of murky sediment at the bottom of the bottle. As I open the bottle, there is hardly any indication of carbonation. This significantly viscous beer pours cloudy and still into my Piraat tulip and eventually clears up as it warms. The color starts as a mellow, peachy orange and deepens to a ruddy burnt orange. A vigorous swirl yields a thin skin of foam the color of white pepper.

S- A big, piney hop aroma cuts through a foundation of malt, burnt sugar and sweetened oat cereal, with notes of honeysuckle and alcohol and a whiff of blackberries. Very promising.

T- Very sweet and tart at first, like lemon curd. Then there's a strong dry herbal/floral note in the middle, like the smell of geraniums. The finish is full of earthy, herbal bitterness and it lasts forever. Through the middle and finish, the fruity character changes from lemon to something more tropical (notes of pineapple and guava). My tastebuds are tingling a full minute and a half after the first swallow.

M- This beer could really use more carbonation. The mouthfeel is milky and heavy like tepid canned nectar. It coats my mouth in a way I don't like very much. Feh.

D- Not very drinkable. The bombastic, long-lasting flavors are side-swiped by a lack of carbonation. It was a lot of work to finish 12 oz. of this, and I *really* like big beers. But I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of beer this turns into in a couple of years.

02-10-2007 08:45:08 | More by vurt
PatronWizard

3.1/5  rDev -25.8%

2006 vintage, courtesy of OlieIPA.

I can see about an inch of crap at the bottom of the bottle. What the hell is going on here? I crack it open and there is an accumulation of what looks like ear wax all over the mouth of the bottle. I'm not feeling to good about this right now. I carefully pour around the ear wax and manage to only get 2 floaties into my glass. Soft pour brings about no head and few bubbles. The fluid is actually a very nice shade of bronze.

Smells pretty decent. Barleywine caramel with a hint of pears? Something else too.

Well the taste approaches good but doesn't quite get there. Medium strength caramel flavor, some light bitterness, and a little other sweetness.

Fairly smooth, uncarbonated feel. It's just not very exciting. I don't think I'll be revisiting this one. Ever.

Overall: a far cry from my favorite barleywine.

02-01-2009 20:21:08 | More by PatronWizard
PatandDavid

3.13/5  rDev -25.1%

This was a hard one to review for me...while I thought it was fine, I didn't think it was much finer than that. I will assume with aging that this one takes off, but I have to review the young version that I has, so here goes. Dark crystal amber when served, no head. Aroma was the wackiest element...initially it seemed like dark fruit would win the day, but several deep whiffs later, I noticed an acrid note. Some finishing pine tree aromas later led me to think: acrid = someone pee'd on a pine tree. Sorry, but I gotta call 'em as I drink 'em. Moving on, I admit for being a young big beer, it is surprisingly smooth. It flows on malt, and ends with faint pine and fir notes. Some faint smoke in the background as well. Probably a killer with aging.

12-11-2004 15:22:56 | More by PatandDavid
boogyman

3.15/5  rDev -24.6%

A- Pours a very murky dark brown amber color. Now, I was told this batch was over carbonated but I poured it like it was grape juice with no head to speak of. I guess we will see what happens as i drink it.

S- Smell is fairly weak. It has some dark fruit along with some almost caramel scents.

T- Very malty and only slightly bitter. Subtle fruity notes on the back end and that is about it. At being 11% ABV there is almost no boozyness to this brew which is surprising.

M- Very smooth going down and absolutely no alcohol burn.

D- I feel like even though I was told that this batch of doggie claws was over carbonated, I think that I might have gotten a odd ball since mine not only wasn't overly carbonated, it had no carbonation at all! But if you take that out of it, this was a very strong brew that I could have a few of without complaining too much.

11-24-2009 03:25:00 | More by boogyman
Erdinger2003

Iowa

3.15/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The head is fluffy and thick, but falls away quickly leaving a beautiful lacing. The color is clear and copper.

Slightly musky with hoppiness, apples and raisan. It is slightly fruity underneath a musky hoppiness.

Taste is hoppy and slightly fruityit holds all of the same flavors as the smell. It is complex, but somehow it holds want. It seems mistreated.

Mouthfeel is smooth, medium to full bodied and it feels great on the palate.

Overall pretty good, but a little lacking, I think a fresh bottle would be better.

07-13-2006 01:45:28 | More by Erdinger2003
billshmeinke

3.2/5  rDev -23.4%

Vigurous pour into pint glass. 2009 bottle.

A: Deep honey, amber in color. Bits of yeast floating about. absolutely no head or lacing. The tiniest bit of foam on top.

S: Brown suggar, candy apple, caramel and honey. Also, some tropical fruity hops. Good nose.

T: Mostly follows smells. Quite sweet. Barley, brown sugar, candy apple, honey.

M: I saw some reviewers saying their bottle had low carbonation, but mine was a total dud. Almost literally 0 carbonation. I'm usually not one to complain about this type of issue. I even enjoy the low levels of carbonation in Port Brewing/Lost Abbey's barrel aged offerings, but this was undrinkable. Maybe it was just a problem with my bottle or the particular batch, but I couldn't finish it.

D: This beer had a lot of promise based on smell and taste, but the carbonation issue ruined the beer for me.

I really hate to bash what many consider a good beer, but it was completely unenjoyable for me. And at $6 a bottle it makes me a little angry.

02-01-2010 22:55:41 | More by billshmeinke
daledeee

Iowa

3.23/5  rDev -22.7%

I never met a barleywine I didn't like...until now.

I poured this into a large wine glass and wondered. No bubbles? I swirled it and got a few large bubbles. A cloudy brown body.

The Nose had hints of flower blossom at first then not much.

Taste was sweet and some hops but not much else. It does taste like some kind of fruit juice with a hops after taste.

I am wondering if this is just the batch. The mouthfeel was absolutely flat. Not very warming but the flatness made this harder to find appealing. This had to be batch specific because another person said the same thing, then older reviews speak of a big head and pine aromas. Not this one. Too bad, I don't go out west and won't be able to try another one.

07-22-2010 23:50:38 | More by daledeee

gueuzegossage

06-28-2014 07:51:24 | More by gueuzegossage
nkersten

3.28/5  rDev -21.5%

Bottle courtesy of gregg, thanks! 2010 bottle is a bit of a gusher, luckily the darkness snifter was ready and i didnt lose too much. Hopefully this one isnt infected. Color is a nasty looking cloudy brown with lots of sediment floating around and a 3 finger thick light tan head that lingers. Smell is a good balance of sugary malt and alcohol, some simcoe hop bitterness, slightly metallic astringent quality, the amarillo is totally overpowered. Taste is very sweet up front, lots of sweet cherries and dark fruits, caramel malt, some fruity hops, slightly piney, some alcohol. Mouthfeel is a bit light for a barleywine with a medium carbonation - way off for the style, the alcohol seems to have thinned it out. Warm alcohol finish. Not a very drinkable barleywine, this one definitley needs a little time on the shelf.

03-04-2011 06:14:01 | More by nkersten