Fred From The Wood - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Strong Ale |  10.00% ABV

Aged in new, medium toast American oak barrels for at least 6 months

(Beer added by: freed on 03-28-2005)
4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

From Blind Bomber BIF (Thanks to Hophead101!):

A: Bright, golden pour with a pretty substantial head. Actually quite a bit of sediment, probably bottle conditioned. Boy, does this beer have some legs!

S: Quite tart on the nose... in fact, until the beer warmed, I had a hard time convincing myself there was anything else there. As it approached cellar temperature, the tartness picked up a bright oaky overtone and I started picking up a fair amount of booze, some dark fruits and sweetness, almost like a burnt sugar. Very interesting.

T: Wow! So much going on here. First and foremost, tart oakiness. Fades into an extremely balanced (if slightly hot) bready sweetness... booze soaked dark fruit, and a little yeasty, well integrated malt flavor.

M: Thick and warming. Fairly faint carbonation, but I loved just letting this one sit in my mouth. Unique, but very enjoyable.

D: Really enjoyably, if a once in a while beer. 12 ounces went down really easily.

Holy cow! Major, major thanks to Hophead101 for throwing this amazing extra in the box. I've wanted to try this beer like crazy for a while and cracking it open blind in the middle of the box was such a sweet surprise. I think it held up to what I was expecting in quality, but it was definitely different than what I was expecting. Thanks!

zimmerbloke, Sep 22, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +16.9%

I had this at the new HotD tasting room today in PDX. After sampling all six of the beers on tap my wife and I agreed we each needed our very own 12 ounce tulip of this to truly capture its essence. MADhomebrewer joined us soon after and we convinced him to order a tulip of his own as well. WOW was the consensus impression about this beer.

As I already mentioned, this beer came served in a tulip with the smallest half centimeter of light cinnamon head sitting atop the chestnut brown body. In case there was any mistaking this beer for the non-barrel aged version, the color is a dead giveaway. Regular Fred is not as deep and rich. It is instead more amber in color. No lacing showed up but what do you really expect from a barrel aged 10% ABV beer?

Smell was...Coconut! Indeed, there was a strong aroma of the tropical fruit not unlike some Caribbean rum. How in the world Alan Sprints was able to get that smell in a beer escapes me. Lots of tobacco, leather, and prunes also are strong contenders here. I must have sniffed this for a solid 3 minutes before taking my first sip. It was outstanding.

The taste sealed the deal for me. Toffee, decadent caramel, raisin, banana esters, cognac, and amaretto were layered on top of each other with enormous depth and complexity. Phenomenal!

Mouthfeel was superb. Moderate carbonation allowed the flavors to be the showcase and not battle prickly carbonation. Perfect body was not-to-thin-not-to-thick.

Drinkability...I want another now! The one was all I had because of the 8 o'clock closing time but I want to go back for some more later. I'm wondering if we didn't just hit the HotD lottery. I have not had previous batches so I can't make comparisons but this batch seems perfect. Some reviews call this "to hot" and that it "needs more time in the bottle". I disagree and must say that for a young alcohol forward beer, on tap mind you, this was a real treat to enjoy. Part of being on BA for me is to find new interesting beers. To frequently I feel let down after anticipation of a transcendent beer experience falls through again. Homerism be damned! Today, I can honestly say I found my new favorite beer. I thoroughly look forward to something that will top this one day. Find this, obtain it, and drink it NOW!

hopsbreath, Sep 02, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Had on-tap at their tasting room...

- Much darker, and more murky than the regular Fred.... ruby red, brown, hazy and cloudy... fizzy mocha head... left a nice thin layer...

- Lovely oak and earthy notes along with a raisin and fig blessing... light hop, cherry and citrus hint... light sour and bright bite.... woody...

- Smooth, light tartness... way better than the basic Fred... almost like a blend... I swear there is a slight Adam in there... paired it w/ chocolate... oaky... smooth... perfection.

- Medium bodied... little murky and drying... waters the palate...

- Overall a little hot, some chunky yeast,... but works its magic over the palate.... a very classy and smooth brew.

Docer, Aug 30, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

Had a bottle poured into a pint glass.
a-Beautiful beer, has a light orange/copper around the eds-ge of the glass and a is a very cloudy amber in the center of the glass.
s-It is very sweet and malty smelling with a variety of fruits.
t-Taste is much of the same with a caramel sweetness taking the lead and and a crazy almost bitter balance of fruits following up.
m/d-Extremely sweet and full bodied. My only knock on the beer is that it seems too sweet, but it is delicious non-the-less.

hughesm4, Aug 22, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

I need to give a lot more of my business to HOTD. Seriously. Poured from the bottle (2009) into a tulip.

Brilliant copper color with a half-finger eggshell head that shockingly sticks around a while. Perfect clarity. Very nice lacing down the sides of the glass. The beer clings to the sides of the tulip nicely when swirled. This is one pretty beer.

The aroma is very nice. It's not as robust as I have experienced in other barrel-aged barleywines (e.g., Perfect Storm, Angel's Share) but what is there is enjoyable. A sweet caramel, a spritzing of cherry juice - which is completely unexpected and awesome - oak, leather, with a hint of booze. Hops call from a long distance away.

Taste is great. I'm getting a host of bright fruit flavors that I do not typically associate with the style, but I'm completely on board with them. Cherries, peaches, and coconut served on an oak plank and drizzled with caramel. Some leather on the finish. How can I not have any more bottles of this?

Mouthfeel is good. Carbonation is perfect, body is medium-thick. It would be a perfect score, except I'd like it if it were a bit stickier on the finish.

Drinkability: This ale is leaving my glass way too rapidly. I could see myself drinking a couple of these in a night, which is saying something considering the alcohol content and the complexity of this brew.

Highly recommended beer. Well done, HOTD.

davod23, Aug 13, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Thin cream white head which disappears about as soon as it arrives, you also get a razor thin stripe of lacing in a few spots. Thick brown-orange creek mud inside the clear, strong effervescence visible, brighter zinc orange around the rims. Big, dewy nose bursting with caramel, molasses, honey, vanilla fudge and a big spoonful of orange marmalade, ginger and cinnamon spice, dates and maraschino cherries, there's something like a bitter rye edge more than grassiness, for all of its sweetness has excellent posture in your nostrils. Full-bodied, sappy clinginess adds to the weight. There's tang from the mandarin orange, pink grapefruit citrus but overmatched by the dark chocolate, caramel, butterscotch, molasses, honey and pine sap. A sip or two reminiscent of Cherry Coke. Well layered apricot, nectarine, guava, fig, date and golden raisin. Some orange pekoe tea leaf notes too. The carbonation isn't light per se but fluffy in texture and not changing the creaminess. Ends with rising bread yeast, introducing some movement. Vivid flavors, would be better if it dialed it back a notch.

farrago, Aug 12, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

Bottle shared by Paul - much obliged!

Pours a slightly hazy dark copper color with a half-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of smooth caramel malts with good amounts of oak and lighter amounts of spices. Also present are mild amounts of medium fruits.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Light caramel malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by mild amounts of medium fruits. Midway through the sip good amounts of oak flavors work their way into things along with earthy hops. Faint spices make an appearance before fading into a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have another.

Overall I enjoyed Fred and I was happy to see that Fred from the Wood didn't disappoint. Well worth a shot.

glid02, Aug 08, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Batch 64 - RB Edition

Poured into snifter.

Pours a white fizzy head. Color is a hazed brown.

Aroma: Fruit and malty. Orange peel, cherries, oak, toffee, caramel, and dark fruits. Very fruity and well done.

Taste: Oak, vanilla, fruit, oranges, cherries, and some spice flavors. Rich and malty. Toffee flavors.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, but warming. Medium to full bodied with a lighter amount of carbonation. Ends warms and malty.

Overall, amazing aroma, but very malty and sweet. A ton of flavor and I really enjoyed all the fruit flavors. Fairly drinkable.

mothman, Aug 07, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served cold from the fridge, 2009 Edition, no batch number listed.

With a vigorous pour, I see a cloudy a reddish orange brew with a 1 finger head of foam. And a very good stubborn head of foam it is. Plenty of lacing to boot. A gorgeous looking BWSA.

The nose is interesting. I'm getting notes of oak and hop bitterness but also some tart and sour fruitiness. I'll admit, I had no idea of what to expect going in to this sitting. It'll be a tough call for me on scoring for smell.

The taste has lots of caramel sweet to it with some definite woody notes and bitterness from the hops but... the finish is dominated by a fairly strong, very wine like sourness. I hope this is the way this BWSA is meant to be. As is it is, I like but if there's some kind of infection going on then I guess I must have a "bad" bottle. In this case, "bad" isn't all that bad according to my palate. I'll be checking other reviews to see what's what.

I'd say it is full bodied, medium carbonated, and does have a silky smooth mouthfeel.

Drinkability? Despite the sourness or because of it???, I find Fred From The Wood an easy drinking strong ale. But I have to say, I prefer the regular Fred by a country mile. That is one hell of a good brew.

Bitterbill, Aug 01, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -8.7%

Third beer from the Blind Beers BIF thanks to SHolland119.

Dark cloudy ruby red/orange pour into my Ommegang glass. Almost copper in color. Head is off tan and fairly thick but doesn't linger very long. Aroma is of thick malts and dark fruit but a good amount of citrus as well. Slight edge of alcohol in the aroma as well. Bitter malt and biscuit flavors, malt is definitely contending with the hops on this one. I think there is a fair rye component to this beer. The finish has a nice creamyness, similar to caramel, that cleans up the lingering bitterness. On the mouthfeel side of things the beer has a sticky syrupy consistency, a bit on the thick side.

neorunner, Jul 19, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -31.8%

Review of 2009 vintage, courtesy of ramnuts, who has generously sent me several vintages of this beer. Thanks, Frank!

A: Hazy golden orange with moderate head that recedes into a ring around the top. It remains active and carbonated throughout the drink, with energetic lacing throughout.

S: Wood. Wood, wood, wood. Alan, did you forget about Fred? With some careful sniffing I pick up light fruits (peaches, I guess?) with a dose of caramel malt and toffee.

T: The initial taste is a nice malty flavor that is quickly overtaken a solid oak/wood presence. Alan's serious about this. Some caramel and toffee malts enter in the middle, with light piney hop taste in the finish. No alcohol burn detected.

M: Medium-bodied and medium carbonation, lacking that motor oil feel. Well captured presence.

D: I LOVED my 2008 bottle (the first time I had it). I am sure my palate has evolved, but I am also positive the 2009 batch is overwhelmingly woody. Wood from the Fred needs to be aged a bit to let that die out.

EDIT: I am consuming a 2008 vintage on 01/17/2012, and it is as I remembered it back when I first had it: balanced expression of wood and very peachy in the nose and mouth. I find this version far superior to the oak juice of the 2009 vintage.

Arbitrator, Jun 25, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Getting around to reviewing another one of the beers JackCrow sent me. Thanks again!

12oz bottle poured into a New Belgium tulip glass.

A: Pours out a slightly hazy golden brown and topped with a thick, viscous sandy white head, pretty decent lacing to boot.

S: Peaches, white grape with touches of a sweet and soft, oaky vanilla barrel character. Really fantastic stuff, nothing overpowering, no hot boozy breaths, no over to top punch of hops, just a nice understated (for an American barleywine) aroma on this one. In fact there even seems to be a bit of tart cherry coffee cake working itself in here as the beer comes to temperature.

T/MF: Loads of vanilla, latent hop bitterness, that same tart cherry coffee cake taste. This is just the first impression on the first sip of this beer. After the first sip there is an incredibly long, thick and mildly boozy finish where the barrel character really beings to assert itself on the back of the tongue and throat.

D: An excellent sipper, great barrel character and a wonderful example of the style.

bluemoonswoon, Jun 09, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured into a snifter on 6/5/10

2008 vintage

Countless thanks to PDXHops

Fred From the Wood is a deep, vibrant shade of amber; at times it appears nearly copper. The poured yielded a one finger head of tightly-bubbled foam though after several minutes it has become a skim with a patch of bubbles in the middle. A little bit of lacing so far. By the end retention is thin & lacing randomly splotchy.

Leading off the aroma are notes of oak & tobacco which, working in tandem, impart a slight mustiness. These earth tones engulf a smooth, toasted malt sweetness; blended are hints of brown sugar, toffee, caramel & a spot of butterscotch. Undertones of fig, raisins & prune. There's a mild boozy swoon as well.

Right off the bat the taste is astounding & incredibly well-integrated. Dark fruit notes - raisins, prunes & plum - are enveloped in boozy hints of sherry; bolstered by toasted sugars (mostly caramel & brown sugar), the result is just shy of being tart. Tobacco potency is a welcomed addition to the fray (it isn't at all harsh, as I have previously encountered in other beers). There are a few stray wood overtones, but none as apparent as the aroma.

Rather full bodied with smooth & creamy carbonation; definitely low, carbonation is just right. Sticky & dense without being gritty. The whole flavor profile lingers on the finish, slowly tapering off. So much so, in fact, that is seems like the beer is still drifting about long after is has gone.

Drinkability is superb. Considering Fred From the Wood is such a massive beer with so many intricacies, it's all the more impressive. This may well be the most complex beer I've yet had; it's certainly one of the best. Highly recommended.

Ryan011235, Jun 08, 2010

Pours a hazy golden orange with a foamy white head. The complex nose reveals quite a bit of the new American oak barrel aging.
Aromas of leather, cookie dough, smoky malts and vanilla extract. The complex mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, with light, pleasant carbonation. Packed with smoky sweet oak flavor, as well as caramel, citrus fruits, banana and a buttery sweetness. Light piney hops show up on the back palate, behind a wall of oak. A world class barleywine. Wish they made more of it.

DaveHS, May 23, 2010

12oz bottle split with Beerwolf77. Thanks bud.

A- Pours a dark golden apricot with a little bit of haze. A half finger worth of head that leaves spotty lacing on the glass. A small cap covers the beer throughout.

S- Big scents of oak, dark fruit and some sour apple. Also some sour grapes as well. The booze comes out a little bit but melds well with the other aromas.

T- Smooth oak, tobacco and dark fruit. The dark fruit is a little more hidden than it is in the nose. The alcohol is barely even noticeable except for the warming in the back of the throat.

M- Medium bodied that is a little tart in the mouth. A little warming on the way down. The feel of the carbonation is less than what the head would indicate.

D- After this beer warms, it really comes together well. Very good beer that I had been wanting to try. Thanks again Beerwolf.

Wisconsinality, May 21, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks goes to darklordlager for this brew.

Poured into my pint glass the beer is a muddy orange brown with golden yellow edges. About a fingers worth of off white head. Tiny flecks of lace are left behind after settling.

The aroma is a vast array of olfactory delights. A blast of smooth citrus fruit greets you right away. This is followed by a bit of bourbon soaked cherries. Raisins, figs and plums join the party next. This is all backed by hints of soaked wood.

The flavor is about as complex as the nose. Tart cherries and a citrus hop bite are the main characters. The bourbon is not a forgotten player for sure. Candied dark fruits and cinnamon are picked out as well. I didn't get any wood flavor which surprised me.

Medium body. Light carbonation. Very dry finish.

Overall a bit of a step up from regular Fred. A real nice Barley wine made for sipping.

beerwolf77, May 14, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

12-oz bottle shared with oglmcdlg, thanks for the eye opening .

A- The slight froth of head catch's my eye as my glass inters the room. A lazy, tarnished, gold, glows brightly like the sun fighting to break through the clouds.

S- Full faced, I go straight into the snifter, I take it all in, not wanting to miss a thing. To smell so sweet, like hand squeezed lemon aid on a scorcher of a hot summer day. Or wait, Lemon heads, that's it! Oh, and I am just getting started, this is so complex and a bit overwhelming. But, I take my time to get into each different part. The sweetness of honey dew suckles waft through out my nose. I can't stand it any more, I must have it.

T- Shockingly complex, I saver each sip by genteelly playing with it in mouth until I just can help but to swallow. This is mind blowing, how it literally activates every single part of my tongue seems unreal and in the most interesting pattern. The sweetness of the darkest of honeys would still not do Fred justice. Ahhh, and there, no we are in the woods, a nice oakyness that doesn't over power the beer, but only creates one more level of complexity. With the sensation of lemon zest and hops that only just add on another level them selves. I believe I might be smitten here guys.

M- The hot body of this brew starts out with a good amount of carbonation and about a medium body. It quickly settles to a much lighter body with little to no carbonation. However, its still very viscus in texture.

D- I love it, I am ready to leave right now and fly out to the brewery, who's come'n with me? But a lass, circumstances won't allow for it. I guess I will just have to dream about it and hope that some day i might be luckily and find some more.

SourBatchKid, May 05, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

12oz bottle split with sourbatchkid.

A- opens with a nice hiss. A hard pour produces a nice two fingers of off white loose head the settles over time to a faint wisp atop.

S- my god! I've never smelled anything like this. Its amazing. Big almost lambic like tart fruit and funky wood. Young granny smith apples with a hint of cinnamon on top. As it warms an apple brandy like sweet booze come forth.

T- the complexity in flavor here is unbelievable. Tons of sweet candied fruit. Toffee and caramel maltiness. Some spices with warming, cinnamon, clove , nutmeg. A bit of brandy like booze again with warming. A deep earthy hop buried in the back.

M- full bodied it coats the mouth with a slick syrup but then the carb kicks in and brings a touch of air to really lightening things up a bit. Nice long spicy linger with some heat.

D- its a big huge brew and with about as much flavor as I've ever seen. Its well worth splitting with a friend 12oz would do a number on ya but I'd like to try.

oglmcdgl, May 05, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

12oz 2009 bottle into a big snifter late at night watching breaking bad. Glad to see more HOTD in SEPA.

Honey glazed persimmon orange with a disco glow, a shining star. This ones a looker. With a semi hard downslope Fred only managed to create a minimal cap barely of off white vanilla like suds. I can forgive the lack of foam, this is BA after all. Eventually Fred calmed down to a dead stillness, but he still glissened.

Big scents of American wood and oak, it practically jumps out the glass. This is perhaps, if not, the best BA brew that I've had the pleasure to sniff. This actually smells like the inside of a brewery, it's that pungent. How Alen got Fred to smell this good in just 6 months shows the quality of the barrels and the brewer. Big citrus zest with NW hops and some candi sweet malt backing. A small amount of alcohol under the wood. This beer smells fucking incredible!!

Not being overly impressed with Fred, Fred with wood impresses with flying colors. I get a nice malty candi sweetness up front with trace amounts of caramel, a nice change for once. After that a blast of citrus like im literally biting into tangerines and grapefruit plus others. Than the wood comes in and it just devours and seals the deal. Along with the wood a nice pine backing and a small splash of alcohol. Somehow the rye component of original fred is lost in the shuffle. Brilliant beer.

A very smooth and relaxing ride throughout. Fred is a above medium bodied monster that plays nice. The wood is big and sticks around the mouth but does not destroy. When I burp it's all wood baby, this is incredible. I have no problems with the carb on this, dead center. A little less syrupy than the regular. No hotness, just goodness.

I preferred this in small sips, but I just wanted to drink it on up and quickly. Im not a fan of overly woody beers but this one opened my eyes like no other, it's just so tasty. Im buying another bottle or two ASAP and im drinking them up quick as well. I really don't see the point in aging this, it's drinking awesome now. I really enjoyed the hop circus in this. Between the wood, citrus, hops and regular Fred, we got ourselves a winner. Well worth the $cratch.

BARFLYB, Apr 26, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

2008 vintage. Delirium Noel tulip.

A blond strong ale. Fair appearance, not very lively though. Musty oxidized aroma. Very sweet malty body with faded hop bitterness. Butterscotch and salty almonds. So nutty it's off the charts. Between the spicy carbonation and the alcohol presence it packs quite a punch. Not very subtle, but with respect towards the style.

Admittedly not my style but interesting to drink. Reminds me of drinking a strong ale in the 90's when QC wasn't really a concern, you'd think "wow that's stronger than the average beer" but it wasn't really that great...but strong enough that you want to drink it. This beer has that sort of appeal.

rayjay, Apr 12, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

2008 Vintage

Trade from Bobby8405. An awesome trader and a cool dude, too.

G - Delirium tulip

A - It pours a very clear brassy orange-amber hue, small white head that reduces into patchy foam. Zero lace.

S - Orange blossom fused with overripe citrus, malty sweetness, vinous alcohol, wood, earthiness, and musty basement.

T - Wow. Strangely sweet and sour with strong suggestions of citrus and and pungent wood mustiness, vinous and sherry-like alcohol, and a very well-matched hop profile. The hops are quite dynamic, though subtle, and encompass flavors from citric to floral to slightly piney, with nuances of tea and grassy notes, too. I was at first underwhelmed, then confused, rapidly I became appreciative, and by the nearing end of the glass I am despondent over the lack of another bottle of this in my fridge. I am going to savor this to the bittersweet literal and figurative finish.

M - It feels less than medium-bodied, but it has a slick and oily feel to it, which is a minor detraction.

D - More than a Barleywine, this reminds me a lot more of De Dolle's Stille Nacht, a beer that I praise very highly.

ktrillionaire, Apr 06, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Pours a nice shade of golden orange. Nice tight white head. It quickly dies but can be refreshed with a simple swirl. Nice thick spots of lace.

S: Wonderful sweet malt aromas. Lots of gooey caramel, brown sugar, and light citrus. Lots of barrel stands out as well. Fresh cut oak, light vanilla, and a hint of sweet apples.

T: Wow what a tasty treat. Wonderful sweetness up front. Apples, light pine, and all the candy malts. The barrel is there. Lots of fresh lightly spicey oak. Hints of caramel, and light booze.

M: Rather full in body, rich, sticky, lightly boozy, good!

D: It's a sipper, but a very well crafted beer! Glad I have another to lay down for a few years.

tpd975, Mar 25, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle (by the waitress) into a tulip glass. 2009 vintage noted on the bottle.

A- next to no head (could have been the gentle way in which the waitress poured this brew). Amber, hazy color, minimal lacing.

S- very soft hop aroma (subtle)- overall, reminded me more of a late harvest wine. Sweet notes, candied fruit.

T- Slightly sweet, very citrusy. Grapefruit stood out strong when I took a sip immediately after finishing a mouthful of spicy gumbo (which was a nice pair).

M- smooth, but not a lot of carbonation.

D- this was a good sipper- next to no alcohol notes. Fruity with subtle hops.

This was the most I have ever paid for a 12oz bottle of beer. It was very good, but there are too many other brews that are very close to this to spend this kind of coin. I'll chalk the price up to the fact that the waitress shared a tidbit- there were only 4 cases of this brew sold in the state of PA in 2009. So it's exclusive. It's also a sure bet that this beer would age well, perhaps making the price a little more justifiable.

CraftAleRookie, Mar 21, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled with some good friends. Poured from a 2009 vintage bottle into a Bruery tulip glass.

A: Golden, swirly carbonation with a glowing texture.

S: White raisins, figs, dates, graham cracker.

T: Boozy, oaky, and vanilla up front with a bitter and woody finish.

M: Dry and smooth with the carbonation mixing in well with this beer.

D: A little viscous; could use a little more time in the cellar.

Thanks for the bottle Sam!

hoppymcgee, Mar 19, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

2009 Vintage

Poured into a Chimay Goblet, is a deep dark brown-red color, not translucent at all, thin off white head that isn't going away.

I smell alot of oak, it reminds me of the smell of a winery (I grew up in California wine country), hints of sweet malts, vanilla and dark fruit.

Taste is not too far off from the smell, dates and raisin sweetness followed by a pleasantly bitter citrusy hop flavor, and finishing with a vanilla oaky taste and a warm alcohol flavor. Almost reminiscent of red wine.

Medium bodied and slightly under carbonated, but that is typical of a high gravity barleywines.

A very tastey brew, but it is a heavy 10% barleywine. You're not really going to drink that many of them in one night, but it is not a fight to finish it either.

DoesntMatter46, Feb 19, 2010
Fred From The Wood from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room