Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Blue Dot Double India Pale AleBlue Dot Double India Pale Ale

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Available in kegs year-round; rotating release in bottles, dated by 'Season' and 'Year' ('Spring 2009', 'Winter 2010', etc.)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +20.8%

Hair of the Dog Blue Dot IPA--Along with Tricerahops, the beer that opened my eyes to the limitless potential of hops. First sampled on tap at Horse Brass, FRESH Winter 2010. This Summer 2010 bottled version was every bit as transcendent and confirmed its status as my favorite IPA.

A: Shared a bomber with two friends. Poured into a snifter. Have to dock a 1/2 point for lack of head, but otherwise this is beer looks like liquid crack.

S: Malt? Who needs malt? Blue Dot overwhelms you with pungent, aromatic hops. Not as citrusy as the standard west coast DIPA hop bomb, but the range of smells that I can't quite describe makes it a unique drinking experience.

T: Follows through perfectly on the aroma. Minimal malt flavor, minimal alcohol heat, just pure hop bliss. Piney, citrusy, everything.

M: The only real drawback to the Summer 2010 batch: a little undercarbonated. The result is a deliciously creamy brew that allows the taste to fully appear, but more carbonation would've given a more attractive head and a better feel.

D: I could easily put back two or three bombers in a session. This beer is my nectar.

4.88/5  rDev +20.8%

Ok, I apologize in advance for this is more for me that any one out there.:)
I just need to right about how amazing this is so I won't forget or throw away the piece of paper these notes would end up been on.

The light and bright yellow color and crispness of this beer is just wonderful. So drinkable and so intense at the same time. A Master piece it's all I can say! Grape fruits and sap aromas are so much more than a slap on the face, it's an humbling experience of perfect craftsmanship, especially after brewing a home batch the same night. Much respect for Hair of the Dog, were do I get a bottle of this????My boss has generously shared with me and he can not remember were he got it. It's mission. Make it yours too, you won't regret it. So worth it.

4.85/5  rDev +20%

Poured into a snifter on 6/6/10

Winter 2010 bottling

The pour finds a dense, fairly cloudy amber colored beer sitting underneath one finger eggshell colored foam. In short enough order the head start to dwindle but has retained a patch of bubbles on most of the surface & a skim on the rest. Lacing is off to a good start. Overall retention is thin & lacing is pretty scant.

I don't know when exactly this was bottled but the hops have held up pretty well in the aroma, near as I can tell. Citric hops are most apparent with grapefruit, orange peel & lemon zest. I'm guessing C-hops & maybe Simcoe. A good bit of pine works its way in, too. Pilsner malt toastiness is well-situated in the back & rye surrenders a subtle spiciness. Smells pretty good. On a side note - the rye is far more apparent after taking a whiff of the empty glass.

Though I reckon this isn't exactly super fresh, it tastes darn good regardless. Dry, piney flavors are much more appreciable than in the nose & are definitely at the fore. Juicy citrus notes round out the hop profile though they seem a little muted (possibly due to age?). However, it still has a nice spiciness going on. I'm more inclined to think Simcoe with each passing sip. The malts are pretty restrained to taste; just some toastiness there to bolster the hops. Mild hits of rye seem to work in conjunction with the citric spiciness.

Blue Dot is no less than medium-bodied. Carbonation is reasonably low, letting the hops have run of the place. There's a little prickliness; just enough to keep things moving along. A little bit of resiny grit is in there, which suits me fine. I really like the use of pilsner malts in IPAs; often I find they are crisper & support the hops in a more subtle fashion. Piney bitterness lingers on the finish for a spell.

This is a fantastic beer. At 7% abv, this Double IPA drinks more like a standard fare American IPA (my go-to IPA is 6.5%). As I'm unsure the age, Blue Dot seems to have held up absurdly well (if it's better fresh, I'd have to experience it myself to believe it). An exquisitely crafted beer.

4.85/5  rDev +20%

First time giving this review thing a shot ...

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into tulip imperial pint glass.

A: Golden straw color with nice lacing. Solid head with a minimally aggressive pour.

S: Wonderful, with plenty of grapefruit. I don't pick up a ton of hops in the smell.

T: Hops up front (but not overbearing) with an aftertaste of pure grapefruit. 30 seconds after taking a drink, the grapefruit just lingers, in a good way. Not as much bitterness as many other DIPAs.

M: Quite light, with a good amount of carbonation.

D: At 7%, seems like one of the "lighter" DIPAs. I have split two bombers in an evening before without issue, and always want to keep going. Just a wonderful, wonderful beer.

5/8/09
Another bottle consumed at Delirium. The dominant flavor in this was an orange or tangerine citrus. Very nice. This beer was more cloudy and the carbonation was lower. Tasted great.
___

3/14/09
Recently had a bottle at Lucky Baldwin's Delirium Cafe. This beer smelled super fresh. The dominant hop smell coming out of it was pine. The beer pours a golden color with a white foamy dense head. Great hop flavor, light, dry body, great drinkability. Into my top DIPA's easily.
Ratings updated.
___
Bought this 22oz bottle at Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido, CA where it was kept refrigerated.

A- a very pale golden with a nice creamy white head.

S- pretty earthy, sweet like the pale malt peeks through enough even though there's quite a big hop presence here.

T- A light DIPA overall, I don't even know if I would classify it as a double IPA but it does have a nice citrusy hop character that isn't in your face too much, but a good mix of hop aromas, mostly earthy too. Bitterness is there but not dominant. Plenty of sweetness detectable but not really because of under attenuation, I feel like it's mostly hop oils.

M/D- light in body, at only 7% that's expected. Real easy to drink.

If it weren't $8 a bottle I would buy this a lot!
4 / 4 / 4.5 / 4.5 / 4.5

4.83/5  rDev +19.6%

Had some extra time to kill in Seattle, and the Uber had just gotten in their allotment of the fall release blue dot. So figured I might as well review it while it's fresh (alas, Blue Dot does not age well).

The beer pours the prototypical golden peach color with impressive head retention and lacing. The beer was served a bit too cold initially, and so the head retention and lacing improved as it warmed a bit.

On the nose.... it flat out does not get any better then this. There is a huge aroma of pine, huge hoppy bitterness, and a touch of pineapple, rye and orange juice. Flavors replicate the nose, and as always I'm amazed by how light on the palate this beer is for a DIPA. Alan Sprints has made many great beers, but I absolutely adore his take on a DIPA. Many DIPA's are excessively boozy or high in alcohol, but at 7%, I think he's hit it just right with this one. The alcohol is not the least bit noticeable, and it gives this beer a lightness and drinkability that is stunning. Yet the beer is as flavorful as any DIPA I can think of, with a huge blast of citrus, pine and hoppy bitterness on the finish. Also, there's a mouthwatering quality to this beer, and it's probably the most drinkable DIPA I can think of (along with the twin titans from pliny-land at Russian River). The hoppy bitterness just lasts and lasts....

Delicious stuff. I'm once again reminded why I'm such a confirmed hophead.

4.83/5  rDev +19.6%

Perfect cloudy golden color subtle orange higlights with light white head with good carbonation.

Floral and citrus dominate the aroma with crisp hops in the background. Spicy hops are subtle, reminds me of a fresh dose of hops into the boil.

On the palate the beer is light, citrusy and slight pine creates a smooth finish with the rye adding intensity, especially in the duration. Good flavors of lemon, slight breadiness, and clean hops to make for a very long lasting and crisp finish.

Any Hop Head should snag a bottle whenever they can. It is a fabulous beer and ranks among the top I've had here in Portland.

4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

Enjoyed a couple of these at the Horse Brass in Portland. What a great DPA.

Each glass came with a scant foamy head that did vanish fairly quickly. Some spotty lacing remained. The beer was a amber orange color with some copper highlights. No visible carbonation anywhere.

The aroma was fantastic. Fresh, floral, fruity and of strong citrus.

The flavor really exploded in your mouth and was extremely fresh. Tropical fruit flavors everywhere, citrus and some pine in the background. Some nice balance with some cracker malt flavors and a touch of bread. The lingering citrus/floral bitterness was absolutely wonderful. There was only a small hint of the abv..

Mouth feel was vibrant, bright and fresh. The mild carbonation brought the flavor to life.

Drinkable? The definition of drinkable.

Immediately among my favorite DPA's

Simple excellent.

4.78/5  rDev +18.3%

A- Pours a hazy yellow golden color with almost no head. Left some bubbles on the top. Alright lacing but nothing compared to some.

S- Awesome beautiful pine hoppy smells with some citrus fruits. It is exactly as a good Imperial IPA should smell. Grapefruit and lemon and orange peel.

T- Oh sorry, was I supposed to be finishing my review? The taste is very good. It has a very strong hop presence with some awesome bitterness. It is just the right amount and goes great with the slight citrus flavors that come mostly from the nose. There is no alcohol flavor at all.

M- From the beginning of the sip to going down the gullet, it has an awesome bubbly feel. The bitterness lingers around a good while and when it starts going, i have no choice but to take the next sip.

D- I am gonna say this has a very awesome drinkability given that it is an IIPA along with the fact that is only 7% alcohol and not too heavy on the stomach. I could down a enough of these to get me good for the night. I am told by my local beer store that this beer can be pretty limited so get it while you can!

4.78/5  rDev +18.3%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter - Fridge temp - December 2008

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy golden orange color and exhibits a lot of carbonation activity. The head is white and rises to about an inch before halting and slowly going down to the meniscus. Lots and lots of foamy lace.

Smell: Intense hops are making my mouth water. Floral and grapefruity aromas. I would guess Centennial and/or Simcoe are used liberally in this concoction. Underlying sweetness of pale malts. Very nice.

Taste: A pleasant bitter hop flavor. A mix of lemon and grapefruit are powerful components, and a grassy, vegetal freshness. More vegetal than the aroma leads on. Bitter alpha acid finish and a touch of booze.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, lots of IBUs, lots of foamy carbonation and a lingering belly warmth. Pretty much perfect b/c there isn't anything cloying about the sugar/malt content.

Drinkability: Wow. This is a great DIPA, contending for the top spot. It's lower in abv which would make it more drinkable than others, and it's refreshing. Top notch.

Poured from a 22oz bomber into sierra nevada pint glass

A- Very cloudy light orange color(perfect), with a white head that sticks around pretty well.
S- Hops dominate, especially pineapple, grapefruit, and herbal aromas.
T- Good range of hop flavors, primarily a pungent herbal grapefruit taste. Some pure hop bitterness near the end, finishing somewhat dry, with just a little bit of sweetness there. Maybe a bit of spice from the rye, but I could be imagining that.
M- Somewhat astringent, but overall a very creamy, smooth beer. The more I think about it, I actually like the mouthfeel a good bit.
D- At 7%abv, this is about as drinkable as an DIPA gets. I could drink this all day.

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured a beautiful glowing orange color with a small white head. Nose is citrus, grass, lemon, pinepalle and earthy. Taste is very smooth and well put together. Pineapple, grass, earthy notes and some citrus. Very smooth and light booze. Mouthfeel is nice, hops, well balanced and very tasty. Very drinkable. Outstanding. One of my favorites so far.

4.72/5  rDev +16.8%

Spring 2007
Thanks to JoshD for this one.

A - Very murky dull orangish brown with a thin off white head that settled immediately. It is a little ugly looking but based on the flavor/aroma I know that is just because there are so many hops crammed into this beer.

S - Very bold hop aroma. Grapefruit, citrus and tropical fruits. (Reminds me of my over hopped Pliny clone).

T - Good bitterness but not overwhelming like many other west coast DIPA's. Grapefruit, tropical fruits and more grapefruit. Well balanced with an abundance of hop flavor.

M - Medium body and smooth with only a touch of dryness in the finish.

D - One of the best DIPA's I have had (only better one was Pliny). Based on the many ipa's I have homebrewed I would say this one is heavy on the aroma/flavor hops.

4.7/5  rDev +16.3%

Recieved this beer from a great trader on the other site. As we set up the trade she offered this one to me and I immediately accepted and I'm really glad I did. This beer pours from a 22 oz bomber with a blue cap on it. Into a tulip glass it pours a cloudy brownish orange with a nice fluffy white head. The smell is very sweet with some citrus fruit and hops. Very nice mouth feel it's hoppy but not overpoweringly bitter and the citurs (kinda grapefruity) is very sweet, this beer is very well balanced and makes you keep coming back for more. I really began to enjoy this one the longer I let it sit and come to room temperature. Over all a graet tasting beers, one of my favorite DIPA I've had. In fact I traded to get me another 2 bottles from her right after I finished the frist one.

Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room