Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Blue Dot Double India Pale AleBlue Dot Double India Pale Ale

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2005

Available in kegs year-round; rotating release in bottles, dated by 'Season' and 'Year' ('Spring 2009', 'Winter 2010', etc.)
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 948 | Reviews: 485
1.5/5  rDev -62.9%

1.92/5  rDev -52.5%

Summer 2013 Bottle. Almost no carbonation. Tasted almost like a honey flavored cider that was not fermented. Could not drink more than a couple of sips before I had to pour it out. Poured very hazy almost like a cider. It was overpoweringly sweet. Highly disappointing considering everything else I had from Hair of the Dog was great. Be very careful when buying a Summer 2013 bottle.

2.25/5  rDev -44.3%

2.26/5  rDev -44.1%

This is only for the summer 2013 release---

Hair of the Dog is one of my favorite breweries of all time. Blue Dot is one of my favorite Double IPA's. That's why it pains me to write this.

The summer 2013 release, at least in Seattle stores, should not be purchased. I believe the batch is infected. It is very dark, cloudy, little to no carbonation, and extremely off balance. Double IPA's are typically acidic but this one tastes and smells a bit like a grapefruit mixed with a cloudy english cask cider.

This is my first ever pour out beer. I don't pour out beers, I just stop drinking them and hope one of my friends decides to finish it. Since I live in Seattle, I visit Portland often. Every time I visit Portland, I stop by HOTD. Quality Control should have picked this up. I don't know what happened.

This is only for the summer 2013 release---

2.43/5  rDev -39.9%

Current score based on my most recent tasting of Blue Dot.

2.35 D+
Review from notes. Drank soon after it was released. Summer 2011 bomber bought for $7 at Beaumont Market. Split with TulipSnifter into a pair of New Belgium globes.

A: Apricot puree with similar clarity. A solid pour yields almost a finger of loose soapy white head. Minimal spotty lacing seems subpar. 2/5

S: Lots of sweet citrus, tangerines, grapefruit, and a dose of pineapple signal the gratuitous amount of hops. Sugar cookies let me know the malt isn't going to be hiding too far in the back. 4/5

T: Fairly bitter and astringent up front, grapefruit pith in the middle, and heavy sweetness toward the end make this less than impressive. 2/5

M: Thick, chewy, and heavy with very low carbonation. Sticky finish makes this less than pleasant. 1.5/5

O: Possibly the worst batch I've had yet. Unfortunately the greatness of the Winter '11 batch seems hard to live up to. 2/5

3.9 B+
Sampled 5-4-2011. Spring 2011 bomber $7 at Whole Foods. Poured by parts into a Duvel tulip.

A: Identical to the Winter 2011 bottle. Perfection. 5/5

S: The aroma is not nearly as agressive as the previous batch. Garapefruit and pine still dominate but in a more muited expression. 3.5/5

T: Not as spectacular as the previous batch. More residual sweetness and a heavier dose of the rye shows up. The pine still dominates, but more tropical hops on the palate suggest a different type of hop bill (more simcoe?) It also reflects lower attenuation and a sweeter profile. The rye is spicier and more prominent here than in the last batch. Good, not great. 4/5

M: Full, oily, sticky, with lower carbonation than I remember previously. 3.5/5

O: Not as good as I remember. This IPA can be world class, but unfortunately it's not quite dialed in this time and the score suffers. I can't justify the exceptional grade but still say it's a "good" IPA. 4/5

4.68 A+
Sampled 1-24-2011. Split a Winter 2011 bomber with TulipSnifter. Review taken from notes.

A: Very hazy pale orange-gold. I love an IPA this light in color. Copious sheets of lacing appears top notch. Perfection is all I can say so far. 5/5

S: Bitter biting piney-grapefruit. This is going to be pretty agressive. I swear I smelled this immediately after hearing the *pfft* as I lifted the crown from the bottle. Pungent and wonderful, again perfection. 5/5

T: Flavors follow the nose. Grapefruit juice, pith, membrane, and rind all attack the taste buds. Pine cone sap kicks in for some added flair. The malt back bone is there just enough to deliver the hops to the senses. 4.5/5

M: Oily body with lively carbonation keep this refreshing and clean. 4/5

D: Could have easily grabbed for another one of these if one was available. I just wish every batch was this good... 5/5

3.4 B-
Sampled February 9, 2010 in Portland Oregon. I split a Fall 2009 bomber with my wife. Review is taken from notes.

This is a cloudy IPA at first look. Upon closer examination those chunks appear to be petal from the hops themselves. A finger of creamy white head sits atop and gives good lacing throughout.

Smells about right for an IPA. A little something extra comes trough. I wrote down peaches with a question mark because it was a little difficult to place it.

Taste is bitter with all the double IPA trimmings.

Good carbonation from the scrubbed my palate in between bites of a spicy Thai dish from a carry-out place. That was an excellent pairing and recommended!

Good drinkability, I downed my 11 ounces and wished I had more.

This was a good IPA but I wish I had more. I also wished I had a fresher batch. I didn't realize it was the fall 2009 batch until I got home. I will have to try this fresher when I am back out there. I've heard amazing things about this but walked away from it thinking it was merely a solid IPA. I will re-review when I try a fresher batch.

2.63/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Summer '13 batch.

A - An unexpected murky orange colour; brown towards the centre of the glass. A thin layer of white head formed.

S - An extremely muted nose with not much bitterness coming through at all and some lighter tropical fruit aromas with some caramel sweetness. Doesn't smell "off" but certainly doesn't smell like a 2 month old DIPA.

T - Some bitterness with a big dank/musky hop profile that is not fresh at all. Some light tropical fruit notes are present with some mango, papaya and pineapple notes that are present but extremely muted.

M - Medium body. Light carbonation. Not sticky or resinous at all.

O - This was extremely disappointing. My bottle did not seem to be as off as some of the recent reviews but it was defintiely not what the brewer intended and not what I expected. Hopefully I will have a chance to try a fresh bottle or to try it on tap in the future as this is one bad experience from one of my favourite breweries.

2.72/5  rDev -32.7%

Really somewhat disappointed with this beer. I had this beer for the first time at the Alvinne Festival in Belgium, March of this year (2012). The Blue Dot that being served on tap there was nothing less than outstanding....it was great! It was my first beer by HOTD beer and I instantly became a HUGE fan!!! I loved it!!!! The Blue Dot I had there was creamy yellow and had such a unique awesome hop taste. I had to get more of this and would go out of my way to get it in the future.

I opened a Spring 2012 bottle of this on June 16, 2012. It poured a brownish tan color...I immediately looked at it with suspicion..it just looked dull and muted. The smell and the taste were really not much better...muted is the word to describe every chracteristic of this beer. It was drinkable, but not really much more...extremely disappointed!!! Had some hop taste, but tasted nothing like what I had at the Alvinne fest. I seriously wonder if I got a bad bottle or something.

I made a recent trade and received two bottles of this. I hope the other bottle is not like this. This was bla....

2.74/5  rDev -32.2%

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company--Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale--Spring--2009 Release--22 oz. Bottle--7.00%--70 IBU's? (4.5 / 5.0) IPA--Light loose sediment. Thin mild lace whitish head. Cloudy bright orange gold color. Huge hop fruit ester flowery front. Lots of aroma hops. Crisp zesty mild sweet Pils light fruit ester citrus hop infused rich body. Mild citrus hop spice refreshing hoppy end. Sampled 6/23/2009. $8.49 Each.

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company--Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale Winter 2010 Release--22 oz. Bottle--7.00%--100+ IBU's? (4.65 / 5.0) IPA--Thin white head. Hazy light sediment bright lemon gold color. Huge floral Cascade hop pine wheat grass grapefruit front. Crisp hop resin infused tangy pils rye wheat earthy piney mild sweet hop fruit ester body. Cloying crusty earthy hop resin spice end.HOPS! Sampled 2/7/2010. $8.49 Each.

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale Summer 2010 Release 22 oz. Bottle. 7.00% ABV. 70 IBU's? (4.25 / 5.0) Thick pour. Thin lace thin white head. Cloudy bright dark orange color. Rich floral hop aromatic citrus mild fruit rye ester front. Creamy sweet smooth mildly fruity malty orange juice body. Smooth refreshing easy hop spice end. Light sediment. Belgian wheat rye hint? Stored dark and cool it aged well and was smoother and less fruity than 2011 Winter release. Sampled 1/31/2011. Purchased for $8.49 @ The Ballard Market, Seattle on 9/4/2010.

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company--Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale Winter 2011 22 oz. Bottle. 7.00% ABV. 70 IBU's? (3.5 / 5.0) Thin lace thin white head. Cloudy thick tiny bubble filled bright yellow gold orange juice color. Very floral citrus hop hint of wheat ester front. Light sediment. Creamy sweet rich wheat citrus pine fruit effervescent mild hop resin body. Refreshing clean mild hop spice balanced crisp citrus end. Aromatic, estery and missing caramel malt base. Too fruity for me. Seems as if it would age poorly. Sampled 1/30/2011. Purchased for $8.49 @ The Ballard Market, Seattle on 1/30/2011. Thanks Roger!

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale Spring 2011 22 oz. Bottle. 7.00% 80 IBU's. (2.75 / 5.0) Mild lace light white thin lines of head. Cloudy fizzy lemon gold color. Fruity floral hop front with lots residual yeast rye ester notes. Mild sweet fruity estery mild hop resin note citrus hints very rye body. Clean mild bitter hop spice refreshing clean citrus end. Way too fruity. Sampled 5/14/2011. Purchased for $8.49 at The Ballard Market, Seattle on 5/3/2011.

Summer 2011
poured into a Duvel glass

a — golden and extremely cloudy.

s — piney, citrus, hints of tropical fruit, a bit grassy but not in a good way

t — bitter, phenolic grassy notes (i.e. oxidized hops), piney, slight sweetness from the malt, finishes dry

m — medium-light body with light carbonation

o — Best drunk fresh. I had a smaller taster on tap at the brewery where the hops where more prominent providing a nice tropical note to the piney hops. Here they've all but died out and transformed into a plastic/grassy phenolic note.

2.81/5  rDev -30.4%

I would think if you have a blue dot on your body, then maybe you should see a doctor. Pours a hazy light orange color with golden hue. A soft white head but did quickly die to the edge of the glass. Eventually dissipated completely. Not much lacing as well.

The nose is light overall with some notes of hops but really light for a IIPA. To start the malt is actually the more dominate flavor. Some grainy and husky notes mostly Some earthy hop notes with more of an English feel. The hops are really muttled. There are some off yeasty notes that don't help as well. Some drainage and autolysis notes.

The taste is better than the nose indicates but still missing the IIPA appeal. The hops are more in balance with the malt. There is a earthy and citrus orange flavor that has a weird blend. Some almost herbal notes as well. The malt has a sweeter taste with a more base malt flavor. Some light bready and kettle caramel notes. Some definite off yeast notes. Some butyric/drainage flavors and a bit of esters but not over the top.

The body is moderate to full. A bit sweet for style. Overall a disappointment. Limited hop nose and flavor, some off brewing notes.

2.88/5  rDev -28.7%

22oz bomber which states "Spring 2011" on the label. This was on my wants awhile back, so when I saw it in the cooler this afternoon I grabbed a bottle. Poured into my DFH snifter.

Blue Dot pours a murky orange to amber color with a smallish head of white foam. The head recedes quickly leaving a thin white coaster and a ring around the outside of the glass. There is a layer of yeasty stuff remaining in the bottom of the bottle. Methinks this is where the murkiness comes from. The aroma is faint floral hops and pale malt. I have to stick my nose into the glass to to pkick up a bit of pine. Taste is subdued floral hops and bitter pine which overwhelms the light malt backbone. Finish is dry with a lingering bitterness. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with a somewhat low level of carbonation. Overall I find this to be a "meh" take on a west coast IPA, certainly nowhere near DIPA territory. There's nothing I find overly offensive, but there isn't anything noteworthy going on here either. With so many other great offerings on the shelf, which are available at a lower price point, I won't be picking this one up again.

2.93/5  rDev -27.5%

Hair of the Dog in a bomber?! Woah. Summer '11 bottle shared by cbutova.

Poured super hazy light brown/grapefruit juice color. Small white head retains as a decent cap, I got the dregs with ugly green chunks at the bottom of the glass.

Scent is almost all malt, caramel and some honey-like sweetness. Very slight hints of earthy hops, but otherwise this seems nearly hop free.

Hop flavor comes out more in the taste. Herbal, grapefruit, and some peach/slight tropical notes. Barely any bitterness, and very malty overall.

Not a bad mouthfeel, lowish carbonation as expected from HotD. Is this a Double IPA?

I'm confused by this beer...7% Double IPA? Having this after Alpine Nelson didn't do it any favors either... It's hard to tell whether this was the brewers weird take on the style, if the few months of age really brought it down, etc.

2.99/5  rDev -26%

Tasted with Fisherman34 during MB DIPA Throwdown 07. A rare treat that Fisherman34 was way too generous to share for the throwdown. High expectations going into this one. Poured a beautiful classic lPA hue with a fluffy cloud white head. Smell- hmm- somethings up here. Not quite right. Taste- confirms the suspected. Some sort of rogue yeast had snuck into this thing. Sour wild yeast tasting on initial sip that gives way to a decent malty DIPA. What a shame- this beer had serious potential. Definitely infected by something. Not being a beer snob by any means I still have it a chance for what it was and actually didn't mind it. Just way too weird due the infection. Jolly Pumpkin like on the start and normal DIPA on the finish. Can't say that every day. No matter- huge thanks to Kris for cracking this one.

Pains me to write this.
Blue Dot is my favorite IPA/DIPA. Or it was, we will see. I am military, so the only time I can drink this is when I come home to visit, and I make it a priority to buy a few. Winter 2014 release.

Appearance 3/5: Same old milky orange color, but super hazy, ok well..moving on, maybe i just dont remember...also, little to no head. oh boy.

Smell 4.25/5: Yum. Malt backbone with orange, tangerine, pineapple.

Taste: 2.50/5. The beer i remember is there, somewhere. But not it's bordering overly sweet for this style. Huge citrus notes and a big malt base, it was a balanced beer up until now.

Mouthfeel 2/5. Undercarbonated.

Overall 3/5: I am giving this a generous 3 only because of the beer that I know it's supposed to be, and am hoping it's just an error in production.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room