Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Blue Dot Double India Pale AleBlue Dot Double India Pale Ale

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2005

Available in kegs year-round; rotating release in bottles, dated by 'Season' and 'Year' ('Spring 2009', 'Winter 2010', etc.)
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

Radiant amber-gold with a hint of Sunkist orange peel. The beer is full of miniscule flecks that could just as easily be hop dust as yeast. At least I hope so. Even though the polished ivory cap isn't as heavily creamy as it is on the best looking DIPAs, it's still an attractive crown. Fine squiggles of lace are thinner and more sudsy than I'd like, while still providing extensive glass coverage.

Once the deflation of the cap allows me to get a few good whiffs in, I can appreciate the hoppy splendor of the aroma. Pineapple, orange and white grapefruit greet my nose and impress the hell out it. The hop bill consists of Warrior, Tomahawk and Magnum. It's amazing how many brewers will talk to you and tell you what's in their beer.

Blue Dot isn't a big DIPA in terms of malt structure, but it sure is in terms of hoppy bitterness. In fact, given the absence of caramel malt (pale and rye only) and the less than viscous mouthfeel, it seems like more of a big IPA than a DIPA. That's okay, as long as it's good. And it definitely is that.

I love the spiciness of the rye malt since it gives the beer an added kick that sets it apart from most versions of the style. It doesn't taste anything like Hop Rod Rye, however, which for me is the ultimate rye malt DIPA. A little more pale malt might have turned it into a slightly bigger, slightly better beer, but there's no way to know for sure. I appreciate knowing that a Scottish yeast strain was used, even though I'm not sure how that impacts the flavor profile.

Those aggressive sounding hop varieties taste aggressive as well. Blue Dot stops short of being a tongue abuser, but then I'm only about halfway through the bomber. The fact that any number of DIPAs have it beat in terms of sheer hoppy bitterness doesn't change the fact that hopheads will find plenty to love and will find that their alpha acid itch is being scratched in a big way. White grapefruit pith has now taken the reins and is going to the whip.

Huge sheets of crusty lace haven't appeared on the pint glass, but I'm more impressed than I thought I'd be. As noted above, this isn't the fullest, most viscous DIPA in the stable. As it warms though, it firms up nicely and has clearly escaped IPA territory. With the increasingly buzzsaw hoppiness and the spiciness of the rye malt, too many bubbles would have been sensory overload. Good thing that it's gently carbonated.

My impression of Hair Of The Dog is that they brew original, occasionally offbeat, beer that doesn't always hit the mark. Blue Dot is probably about as close to conventional as they've ever ventured. It's a DIPA that has more in common with a big IPA than with an American barleywine; something that isn't the case often enough to suit me. I'm enjoying it immensely. The hop monkey that is forever on my back is becoming nicely satiated as well. (2,863 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

22 oz bomber. Hazy golden beer ( almost looks like a trad. German hefe), large eggshell white head. Strong aromas of pine and spicey hop, some hints of valencia orange for some reason. Sweet and malty for a second then a torrent of piney/citric hopping cleanses, no scours almost the tongue, then it sort of balances out again in the end. Very drinkable and feels very nice and light on the palate, which i think is an advantage in a very hoppy beer. Nice beer but not quite a Double IPA, but more than just a plain old IPA. I think this fits rather neatly in the middle of the two categories. (593 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -10.6%

A: Staw colored brew with apricot highlights. Very cloudy and mysterious. Seriously aggresive carbonation with a towery mashed potato head. Stunning.

S: Major grapefruit, some orange, hint of pine and a smidgeon of caramel.

T: Lots of yellow citrus flavors, primarily lemon and grapefruit, these flavors dominate the beer...like a lemon/grapefruit julius. Slight soapy flavor follows suit with a dull pine wrapping it up. Finishes bitter like pungent citrus rind.

M: Medium body and really smooth for how much carbonation came with the beer.

D: Nice flavor but really one dimensional. I actually found myself getting board of this beer towards the end. (664 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Had on tap at Brouwers Cafe in Seattle. Arrived a light orange amber with a healthy white head and great lacing. The smell is yeasty, citrusy, fesh and bitter. Very interesting aromas and very nice. Taste is immediately citrusy/hoppy woth a long, long hit of bitterness. The mouthfeel is especially crisp for the style. Different and delicious, and exceedingly fresh tasting on tap. (382 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +4.7%

Very unique IPA. The closest beer I can think of is the La Chouffe IPA. This looks like a Belgian, with a huge, frothy head. Prickly combination of hops and carbonation. Very fruity, almost lemon-like. The body is slightly thin, and ultimately - this brew is just too bitter and dry. A nice effort, but overall not totally satisfying. So many other great alternatives... (370 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I love HOD offerings and have been looking forward to this for awhile,first off all the Mother Earth garble on the bottle is annoying but that wont cloud my judgement of this beer.I poured this into an oversized wine glass and holy smokes what a gigantic head on this puppy it took up 3/4 of the glass and nearly went over underneath all that foam was a peachy colored hazed body.Great hop profile in the nose I get leafy herballness and grapefruit quite resiny,who this a bitter DIPA very dry and resiny wow,piney and resiny to the hilt someone leafy with a hint of tea a bone dry cracker malt presence is noticed but barely.Wow this is different somewhat yeasty and like others have noted there is a hint of Belgian quality in its flavors,the dryness in my mind can become a bit much so this is one and done for me no doubt,still a damn good brew for the hophead and quite unique.

7% alc by volume per label. (913 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks to JahNoth for supplying me with this wonderful offering. Shared with a friend who's raved about it since he went out west last year.

A: Pours a very cloudy yellowish straw color with a nice one finger white head. Puffy head that has nice retention and amazing lace.
S: Grapefruit hop notes with a nice grassyness to it. Slight level of malt in there also. A bit floral also.
T/M: Big fruity hop notes with sugary and bubblegum flavors that follow up. That bubblegum flavor comes through nicely, but not too overpowering. A nice floral flavor comes in here also followed by an extensive long bitterness that lasts throughout the finish and into the bitterness. Fruity and floral flavors in the aftertaste. Smooth with a nice bold body. Not a hugely thick body, but just enough to warm to chest.
D: Everything my buddy made it out to be. A nice bold body to this dipa, though very easy drinking with a smoothness. Get it if you can. (944 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -9.7%

Appearance: Clear yellow with an almost Duvel-like amount of carbonation.

Smell: Very strong citrus.

Taste: Very bitter citrus, starting to get a little astringent. Some yeasty highlights, which is really unusual for the style.

Mouthfeel: Lasting dry bitterness.

Drinkability: Starting to get on my nerves...

Against the instructions on the bottle, I dumped in the yeast just to see what would happen:

Appearance: Murky, opaque orange.

Smell: Still citrusy.

Taste: Much more subdued citrusy bitterness. About "normal" IPA level bitterness.

This beer was kind of strange. It got so bitter that it felt like chewing on an aspirin at times, but also had a little Belgian feel to it with the yeastiness. There didn't seem to be much balance, so I tried the little yeast-dump experiment. That was interesting but kind of disgusting. There are better choices out there for DIPAs. (900 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours an orange and amber color with a big, puffy, off-white head. Lots of suspended yeast and particulates.
Aroma of multiple hop oils and resins with a large dose of citrusy malt notes. Pine, grapefruit pith and some melon detected
Flavor has a solid base of juicy, citrus and caramel malts that barely stand up to a full-on “hop assault.”
Mouthfeel is quite amazing. The bittering is demanding on the palate but leaves a nice coating of juicy fruits. So thick it’s almost chewy.
As with most HotD beers this is a very approachable but a big beer. Alcohol is hidden by the haze of the hop profile but the power is still felt. (636 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -5.4%

Hair of the Dog, of Portland, Oregon, makes some interesting beers. I've fond to either love or hate their beers. And their latest the Blue Dot falls into that category as well.

To be straight - I neither love nor hate Blue Dot. There are some aspects about it that I think are great and others get me scratching my head. Like all of the HOTD beers I've previously had, it's loaded with sendiment. This makes the beer extremely cloudy. In this case, I was shocked out how light the beer was. This almost looked like a Belgian Pale Ale. The head was out of control, as if I shook it. The aroma was dead giveaway that it wasn't. It's a lemony hop scent, with the slightest bit of stale bread in it.

At this point, I was ready to not like this beer at all but then it goes and surprises me. The taste is actually quite good. It tastes a lot like other DIPAs. It's bitter and bold and quite interesting. the malts were quite pronounced and there was little to no citrus tones in the flavor. It finishes nicely with a round sweetness that brings it all together. Intersting stuff. (1,082 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

Last of a couple I got via Liquid Solutions. The others went in trade.
Much anticipated. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Cloudy yellow/light amber. Moderate head of a fluffy nature receded to about half its' original height with decent lacing.

S - Piney, Uber-Hops. lot's of pink grapefruit as well. Bitter in the nose.

T - BANG..without a doubt the hoppiest, most bitter IPA/DIPA I've ever experienced. More than Hopsickle, more than Moylander, more than Ruination....bitter beyond bitter. This one will wreck your tastebuds for days it seems.

M - Fairly good staying power. A little waterier than I prefer. Again a crazy bitter finish.

D - I am a hopivore. (like that?) I live for hoppy beers. This one, however, I am not embarassed to say, is damn near over the top. The only way I would opt for multiples of this beer would be if it was all I had, or if everything else in the cellar was of a "rarer" nature. Not unpleasant, mind you, just a challenge to finish. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If ass-kicking, bitter, hoppy self-abuse is your thing, don't miss this one. (1,099 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -5%

Medium gold color hazy – frothy thick off white head –nose is pine hopps , citrus ( orange peel ) , and starch -taste of bitter chalk , sweet hopps , tobacco , earthy , and yeasty – creamy , dry , light body – aftertaste is earthy , cobwebs , and bitter hopps (263 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep clear gold, with a thick white foam that lasts well. Nice steady streams of carbonation present. The aroma is a mix of herbal, citrus hops and a spicy bite. Lemon/citrus flavor appears initially in the taste, plus a bready spice. There is a nice complexity here, its hard to pinpoint any one dominant flavor as the malt is quite present for what normally expects to be a hop bomb. The finish is also excellent as it is quite bitter and lingers on the tongue awhile. Sharp carbonation creates alot of foam making the beer seem very full and creamy on the palate.

This beer was very enjoyable, although it wasn't what I expected for the style. Considering HOTD's affinity for Belgian's, I should have figured this one might lean that direction. This is much like a hoppy Tripel in my opinion, which is quite alright with me. Excellent choice... (859 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -5.9%

22 oz bomber. 11 oz sample. This brew pours a dark straw color with a 3 finger, very fluffy head that falls to a 2 finger covering over top. Clarity is minimal and there is little carbonation apparent. After the head receded, there was a ton of chunky lace on the side of the glass. The nose is interesting. There is a lot of orangey citrus, but there appears to be spicey qualities that are reminding me of a wibier. It is interesting. I would imagine that the spice qualities are from the hop, but it is working okay with the citrusyness. The flavor is very orangey, with a spicey hop character. The maltyness is researved, and the bitterness on the finish is a little harsh. This is an interesting take on the style. The mouthfeel is thick, with a moderate carbonation. It is a little astringent on the finish as well. This one is not bad at all. I like the orangey character from the hop, but I think that the spicey character is a little misplaced, and the bitterness is not rounded enough. Not bad, but I think it could be better. (1,036 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Had on tap at Toronado in San Francisco. Clear dark golden color with thin spitty (and sticky looking) head. Hoppy aroma but balanced by sweet malts like you'd expect from a DIPA.

Taste is nice, complex with lots of hops balanced by plenty of malt (not surprising w/ HOTD's barleywine experience). Thick mouthfeel.

Very good, I'll get it again if I see it. (364 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Really nice hoppy aroma with citrus notes and woody smells. Plus there's a good malt nose and I get a lot of fruity fermentation smells.

Golden but extremely cloudy. Thin but lasting head.

Wow, bitter start, lost of hop bitterness with lots of citrus hop flavor. Underneath there is nice malt character with some fruitiness and a light rye flavor. Pretty good flavor profile but pretty over the top hops.

Medium bodied with light carbonation. Carbonation level is a little low since it's a growler.

Good, but not among the better DIPAs. Body is a little light for the style and there's not enough malt behind the hop bitterness for me. (648 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +13.1%

Bought this one at the Beer Stein in Eugene, OR. I popped the cap off and immediately smelled the fresh hop flowers and sweet malts. Slight hint of body odor and day-old beer. Dumped it into a pint glass, the only way to drink a 2xIPA. Pours hazy golden with a small but stern head. Interesting bubbles rise strangely slow. The last few pours get mighty hazy.

On to the taste. Extremely bitter, but it's tame enough to be sophisticated. Sweet malts never really cut through the hops, which is exactly what I want in a 2xIPA. Alcohol is realtively low (7%), which is refreshing that a brewery doesn't need to cheat with abv to make a big, bold, tasty beer. Resins and oils are there, but the body remains light and never sticky. To me, a sign of a good IPA is delicious hoppy burps, and this beer delivers. Even with the hops dominating, this beer still reaches balance (at least for hop heads like me).

I think this one tastes best at about 45ºF. It does flatten up a little as it warms. All in all a great double that can kick it with the coolest beers in town. Worth seeking out. Drink this one if you're wondering what they mean by "west coast style." (1,162 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.4%

I think having a double IPA that is a mere 7% ABV is a nice change. In most cases we'd see something like 9 or 10%. Anyway, the pour looks like pineapple juice and is extremely cloudy. Head is big and formidable. I'd guess it must be nearly 2 inches. Almost no lacing. Nose is sweet malt, massive unrestrainable pineapple, grapefruit and pine. This is a brew the northwest should be proud of ... hell I know I am. If this were readily available in Seattle I know I would buy it all the time. Taste is pretty much the same and I'm loving it. The carbonation is almost imperceptable but there enough to impart a creamy mouth. There are better IPA's out there but I have to say that this one absolutely rocks. I truly hope it finds it's way to Seattle soon so I can buy more. This is just a treat and a half. (805 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -11.6%

Odd looking IPA. Resembles an unflitered wheat/hefe. Rich and creamy off white head with thin sticky lace good overall retention.

Wonderful fruity nose. Grapefruit, floral hop, lemon zest, orange and apple. Some pineyness lies in the background as well as sweet malt hints.

This IPA is unbalanced. The bitterness on the finish has rough edges and the mouthfeel is thin and coating. The raw hop flavor just doesn't mesh well with the malt. I'm not sure if this may be slightly old. Acquired in a trade. The fruit of the nose is no where to be found in the taste. Their is slight grapefruit and pine. Otherwise it's all thick cloying malt, that is made thin by the raw bitter hops. (685 characters)

Bottle.<br> Pours a hazy orangey gold with a long lasting, white head floating on top. Nose is hops, floral and piney. Bitterness lasts throughout this brew, with some grapefruit zest, too much so in my opinion. This was pretty much a spineless beer, with the malt backdrop of 2IPA MIA. Thought this was going to be better than it was. Thanks to weefisheads for the bottle. (379 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Pale peach/copper color with chunky off white head. Fruity hop aroma. Nose is juicy and smooth, with pink grapefruit hop flavor. Hops are strong, but not bitter, in fact its surpsisingly mild and smooth, but full flavored. Hints of tropical fruit along with the juicy citrus, then a faint pale malt sweetness before the semi dry finish. Much less malt than many double IPAs, which puts the hops on center stage and makes it interesting because the hops change as it warms. Relatively low in bitterness for the amount of hop presence. An interesting beer and fairly drinkable, but not something I'd have regularly.

I remember having this on cask at the Horse Brass, and it was much tastier than in the bottle, but this review is for the 22 bottle. (747 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Hair of the Dog's Blue Dot Imperial IPA purchased from their Earth Day sale, and after slowly taking bottle after bottle out of my case, I finally decide to go ahead and review it. I poured mine into a tulip to better harness some hop scents.

The beer poured a slightly hazy golden yellow with an inch of white, frothy head that poured and retained at about a finger's height. Splotches of white lacing stuck to the side of the glass in random placess. The nose was quite fine: big, resiny, oily, PNW hoppiness flowing up and into my nostrils calling out to my thirst for hops. The first sip left a slightly bland, dry finish as it lingered on my tongue, but every subsequent sip seemed to unleash a slightly subdued hoppiness - for a DIPA - that seemed to spread its bitterness from the center out of the pallette. The beer rolled around and inside the mouth with a dry, hoppy finish lingering as it finished. Medium bodied with perhaps the only mark of an its 7% abv being the intense dry sensation left across my tongue after swallowing. This is a drinkable beer, and I wish it were available in 12 oz. bottles...

Blue Dot is a unique Double IPA. It is one of the most drinkable DIPA's I've tried, but also one of the lower abv products in the category. Also, its hoppiness, while stronger than the majority of normal American IPA's, isn't quite as intense or strong as others like Ruination or Hercules. One to try though for the hop lovers, but - as I've said before - how about sixers of this one? I could sip on it all night long. (1,543 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a cloudy straw to gold in color with a minimal white head. Smells is strongly citrus with some grapefruit, sweet tangerine, lemon and some of the rye in the smell as well. Taste is also citrusy with some grapefruit and orange flavors, a little spice from the rye and hops finishes grassy and crisp and a little dry. Medium in body, I keep getting a subtle hefe type feeling somewhere in this one, both in aroma and taste, maybe its just my buds tonite, but it is unexpected in a dipa. Definitely some alcohol, not so much in the taste and aroma but I feel it sneaking up as I get close to finishing the bomber. This is a solid and interesting dipa. (654 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

08/03/06- Had on tap at the Toronado in San Francisco, CA.

Presentation- Via the tap into a tulip style glass.

Appearance- Clouded golden pour, 1/2 inch super creamy head upon the top and decent patchy lace left on the glass.

Smell- The first scent was very good. Super sweet grapefruit hops, and a dash of pine needles...even a bit of sweet malt scent. Although, after the first couple sips, the scent was almost non-existant. Like it vanished into thin air. Good while it lasted I guess.

Taste- The lady at the Toro said it was a Barleywine and the dude next to her said it was exactly like Adam (an Old Ale) are you both on crack?!?! This was a dead on DIPA. Super sweet malt mixed with super sweet orange and grapefruit hops. Pine comes through more in the smell than in the flavor. Very smooth, almost honey-cream like.

Mouthfeel- As stated above, very creamy and very smooth with a lower carbonation level.

Drinkability- Very drinkable DIPA. This would almost be a session DIPA if that exists. Doesn't seem the 9 or 10% abv that it is. Winner! (1,067 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +3.7%

Had this on tap at the Horse Brass a year ago, loved it so much I went out of my way to track down a 22oz bottle. We'll see how it stacks up.

Pours an opaque gold, with an insanely dense head three fingers thick. Little/no lacing.

Smells *intensely* of grapefruits, with a hint of pine trees and cloves.
I could smell this all night!

Taste is just a *hint* of golden brown sugar and rum, before a barrage of hops obliterates everything else. Bitter orange, cloves and grapefruits lend a heavy tang and bittering effect, that dries your mouth in the swallow. This stuff is bitter! It's like chewing on a bag of hops. With only 7% ABV on the label, it's really not enough malt to stand up to the hops barrage, just merely enough to add a hint of something other than the citrus/bitter explosion.

Mouthfeel is a little thin and acidic, not nearly as much body as I was hoping for. I think the tap version had a much smoother more drinkable feel.

Man, be ready to take your time on this. The alcohol isn't much, but that's a lot of bitter to get your stomach around. (1,078 characters)

Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room