Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Blue Dot Double India Pale AleBlue Dot Double India Pale Ale

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2005

Available in kegs year-round; rotating release in bottles, dated by 'Season' and 'Year' ('Spring 2009', 'Winter 2010', etc.)
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 948 | Reviews: 485
3.37/5  rDev -16.6%

Fall 2009 bottle into pint glass.

A: Golden honey colored. Bubbles rising to the top. Only a slim layer of foam for head that resides to a ring of foam around the glass. Spotty lacing left behind.

S: Malt forward with lots of sweet pale honey smelling malts. A bit of pine, citrus, dank, resin in the nose as well. A bit much of a malt bomb in the nose for me.

T: Sweet honey from the pilsner malts with a hint of spice from the rye. Hops come through as dank, and bitter resin mostly. Some citrus hop flavor as well (lemon/orange).

M: Pretty full bodied and oily. Not really well carbonated, but the carbonation is fairly prickly which in combination with the rye and hop character make this beer fairly spicy.

D: This is on of those DIPAs that seems to wish it were a barleywine. Really not what I look for in the style.

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Served from a 22oz. bottle acquired in a trade with volatilesther (Thanks!) into my Dogfish Head snifter at the appropriate temperature (01/29/10).

A: Pours a rather murky, dark, golden, amber, with one finger of an off-white head with decent retention and some patchy lace.

S: Unique aroma dominated by a bicuity malt along with some bitter, citrus hops. Hops are certainly less prevalent than expected.

T: As with the aroma the hops are not a abundant as I would have thought/hoped, but the flavor profile is certainly pleasant. A tasty biscuity malt, with some hints of caramel along with some bitter, citrus hops round out the palate. Not the most complex DIPA, but quite tasty.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate and slight creamy carbonation and a hint of lingering bitterness on the way down. Rather full at times, but in a good way.

D: Quite easy to drink and the alcohol is completely hidden. If this were available around me I would certainly pick up a bomber from time to time.

Overall this was a nice DIPA with great flavor that was slightly lacking in the hop profile, but certainly another solid effort from Hair of the Dog. Thanks again Esther!

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Had really enjoyed a couple of Hair of the Dog's other offerings, and I do love a DIPA.

Appearance is a bit lighter than I would have expected. Not bad, but yellow-orange with a head that didn't really show itself much no matter how aggressive the pour. About half a finger remained before my first drink, and it did leave some pretty lacing.

Smell is wonderfully floral, can detect some malt, some citrus. It smells more flowery than most of the DIPA/IPAs I've tried.

Taste again surprised me just how different this DIPA is. The hops dance in your mouth and the citrus follows, but there is a sweetness I'm not used to. A sweet malty goodness that helps add to making this beer unique.

Mouthfeel involves quite a bit of carbonation, it's dry. Pleasant.

Drinkability is high dear friends. Some hoppy beers are wonderful, but it's hard to drink them down very quickly. This is very drinkable. The hops are very floral as opposed to biting.

I recommend this one for at the very least the experience. It's pleasant and delicious.

4.49/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Fall 2009 release, poured into a Paulaner glass. Purchased at Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido, CA in January 2010. Admittedly this one is poured too cold, so I know this one may open up quite a bit.

Pours a murky medium gold, with minimal carbonation or head. In fact, virtually none.

Aroma is all citrus. First, a bright sweet orange juice/flesh, moving on to an orange peel bitter, ending with a grapefruit bitter. Quite intersting.

Flavor is a strong heavy rich malt profile that is layered with west coast-style hops, grassy, oily, junipery, and grapefruity are all at this party.

Even though there is no visible carbonation, there is a certain creaminess to the mouthfeel that tells me it's there. Well done.

Overall, this one is quite good- I am amazed I had never even heard of it before. Wish I had bought more than the one bottle.

4.08/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz from augustgarage, thanks! Poured into White Birch flute.

A- Hmm, sediment in the neck when I popped the cap. Looked like mud/clay. Nothing that's going to kill me, though! Prob. a casualty of shipping. Pour is remarkably under-carbonated, a nice 1cm head forms and wilts into a thin layer really quickly. Beer is a hazy yellow/amber highlights, reminds me of a saison with a creamy top. Interesting. Moderate, sporadic lacing.

S- Hmm, sweet, really sweet, oranges, mango. Really fruity, and something that's a bit 'off'. Can't quite place it.. almost a bit meaty. Strange.

T- Whatever I thought was 'off' in the nose is absent in the mouth. Piny, piny, resin, sticky hops are in full force. A bitter grapefruit is not far behind, no real malt flavors and not nearly as sweet as the nose hints at. I like it. As the initial pine wallop lays off, the fruity mango and orange come through. Incredible depth of flavors here... never had a DIPA that tastes like this. Very unique, very good.

M- Bitter, hoppy, but well-placed hops, not a scattershot. Just what was needed and nothing more. Carbonation is fine, despite what I first thought. Fruit lingers on the tongue and is very enjoyable.

D- High. I really liked it. Whatever misgivings I had in the appearance and smell, the taste and mouthfeel totally won me over. This is a very good beer.

4.07/5  rDev +0.7%

Fall 2009 Batch

A-it pours a very nice looking hazy golden color with a thin pure white head that has almost not retention leaving a light lacing on the glass

S-the nose is quite big, some sweet malts hit first and are immediately overtaken by huge amounts of hops. a resignous pine comes in first with lots of grapefruit and peach following

T-the taste isn't quite as big as the nose would have suggested but is very nice none the less. really no presence of malt, lots of piney hops, hints of grapefruit, a fair amount of citrus rind, and a big bitter finish.

M-medium body, quite we, very slick on the back of the throat, and a fair amount of carbonation

D-this is a solid DIPA with a very nice hop presence. the mouthfeel leaves something to be desired but they do a nice job with this one.

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fall 2009 vintage.

Poured into a pint glass. Hazy honey-orange color with a thin white head consisting of mostly large bubbles. Some lacing.

Nice citrusy hops escaping from the bottle and glass. Some orange slices come through as well with a sweet malt base.

The first couple of sips reveal an extremely smooth DIPA. Low, but ample carbonation makes this feel almost like its been pulled from a cask. Fairly sweet at first, but some nice bittering hops start to jump around and mix well with the malt on the finish. The taste leans towards the maltier side of things, but hops are still plenty strong to let you know this is in the IPA realm. On top of the typical hop and malt flavors some juicy orange slices come through as well.

Mouthfeel is super smooth for a DIPA. Not sticky like some, but just really smooth, which allows the hops to jump out a bit more. Good chewy body, yet refreshing at the same time.

Drinkability is really good on this one. The ABV almost puts this in the sessionable range. I could easily handle 22oz by myself and would probably want more.

Overall, this is my first Hair of the Dog brew and I'm really liking it. It's on the lighter side of a typical DIPA, but it is still very flavorful, well-balanced and easy to drink. If I could get more of this I would. I might have to make a trip out to Oregon in the near future.

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to my graduate friend Andrew for transporting this from Oregon to here in his checked baggage. Poured into a pint glass, revealing hazy, dirty amber-looking body and essentially no head except a thin layer of foam over the top. No lacing to speak of. As far as looks go, it's not the prettiest IPA. In terms of smell, though, it is killer. Nice grassy sweet floral hop aroma comes right through, with hints of vanilla bean ice cream.

Tastes every bit as good as it smells. Smooth (almost creamy but still light) and bitter with a fresh citrus and rind aftertaste that smacks of lemons. Carbonation is very small and gentle, leaving medium body. Some bready, malty flavors come through as well though I swear we let this one settle. Very refreshing. Very drinkable. The bottle says it was brewed Fall of 09. I would love to try some at peak freshness, but am torn between that and more bottle conditioning for the carbonation. The drink in my glass may be the best compromise.

Overall very enjoyable. I'd get more if it were around here!

3.82/5  rDev -5.4%

Didn't realize this was a double IPA until I reviewed it, very tame as far as IPA's go. It has a sweet start that subsides as the flavor stays on your tongue. Has a big hoppy feel and is a mouthful to drink. We got the last three glasses to come out of the keg and the carbonation was low, couldn't tell if it was because of that or if it's just how the beer is produced.

Overall I thought it was a good beer and I'm glad I had the opportunity to try it but it was just a little lacking considering it's a Double IPA

4.69/5  rDev +16.1%

Oh dear god! stumbling monk, why would i doubt you?!

lazy golden dress with white laces, sexy, and blowing aroma out of the glass from across the room. grapefruit, some other citrus, a little piny, just a full-fledged olfactory assault. i feel as though my nose is pickett and the blue dot has the hill on the 3rd day. much stronger than in the bottle. flavor is fantastic, malt sweetness is prevalent but matches beautifully with what i might guess to be simcoe and ctz hops, maybe some centennial. drinks beautifully, and honestly could probably stand to be a little stronger, it's barely a double, the only thing that lets me know for sure is the higher fg, leaving that residual sweetness that pairs so nicely with the hops. the bottle is beautiful but this is a bj from venus on tap.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Fall version poured from a 22oz bottle into my Southern Tier tulip glass. Pours a hazy orange color with a small white covering on top. Moderate amount of lacing on the glass.

Aroma is floral with a good amount of citrus and pine from the hops. Taste is citrusy and floral with a moderate amount of bitterness. Flavor is pretty much all about the hops which was expected.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation,. Drinkability is good, I really enjoyed this one. It gives you that very hoppy flavor without the over the top intense bitterness which sometimes affects drinkability for me. Another excellent west coast style DIPA

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber thanks to olympuszymurgus.

I would classify the Blue Dot as a relatively tame double IPA, albeit quite tasty. Pretty average head, but beautiful fruity aromas that last through the entire pour. Taste isn't anything out the park, but there's a great balance between malt and hops - especially for the DIPA. At only 7%, I could have enjoyed a few more of these, but was quite content with what I had.

Overall, a great (but slightly tamer than I would have anticipated) double IPA. Delighted that I was able to try it.

3.84/5  rDev -5%

Didn't know what to think about this, Hair of the Dog, traditionally a high gravity brewery, from what I've had, but yet, this double ipa clocks in at a relatively low 7%

Appearance, looks like it has a decent amount of heft and malt to it. Average head, dark yellow, notes of orange to it. Taste, very good, manages balance without being boring. Manages to hold up throughout the bottle, doesn't diminish, remains very drinkable, a pleasant surprise of a not over the top double ipa. Good amount of bitterness, would have liked to have experienced more hop flavor with this one, but hey, good is good.

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Received this brew from chewy in a recent trade. I've been searching for this brew for quite some time but just never got the timing right. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale flute.

Appearance- Pours a super light yellowish peach with a fairly small white head that dissipates fairly quickly. A thin spotty cap is left along with a fairly nice collar but somehow no lacing.
Smell- Oh man, loads of citric and floral goodness upon opening (two feet from my face). After taking a big whiff I get just loads and loads of fruit; orange peel, grapefruit, peach and pineapple. Also fairly florally with some rose hips and lavender crashing the party. Maybe a tiny pinch of rye as well along with a small bit of grainy malt but the hops don't allow much to show. Beautiful nose.
Taste- Starts with a lightly bitter kick and a bit of brash alcohol before a fruitier side steps in. Grapefruit galore, peach, orange peel and pineapple are all definitely present. The rye is light but I don't have much trouble picking it out as its spicy and distinguished. After a few sips though once my mouth acclimates the alcohol isn't as bad as I first thought. The beer is actually fairly light and pretty balanced. I'm surprised to how much the beer changed from my first sip. Finishes very fruity with a light lingering bitterness from the hops and rye.
Mouthfeel- Fairly light body with very very very little carbonation. Oily and slick as well and a pretty interesting feel considering how light the body and carbonation are.
Drinkability- A super duper tasty brew that I knew I'd enjoy (I mean its HotD, come on) and I did. It's citrusy and floral and everything a DIPA should be. Only complaints are that it needs just a touch more body and the alcohol is just a touch much for the beer. Thanks much Jason!!

4.29/5  rDev +6.2%

Fall 2009 bomber. Interesting to note that this is declared as a Double India Pale Ale, but it only weighs in at 7% ABV which is the same as a number of "single" IPAs nowadays. The pour is dark gold, lightly cloudy, topped by a somewhat small white head. Smells of pineapple, huge amounts of it, then citrus, especially grapefruit, pine and mango. Great tropical fruits.

Blue Dot tastes mostly of an assortment of hoppy goodness -- grapefruit, pineapple, and resinous piney hops. Full bitterness on the finish with some cookielike malts on the finish. Full on good stuff. Body is medium with a medium-full prickly carbonation with a sticky feel. I could probably go for slightly less bubbles, but it is quite good the way it is. Pretty choice IPA.

4.69/5  rDev +16.1%

On Tap at Horse Brass in Portland
wow!

Blue dot is an excellent DIPA,

It's lack of balance or bitter hop punch may turn some beer drinkers off but what makes blue dot special is it's fantastic floral hop flavor. The hops come through perfectly, almost like drinking whole hop flowers.

The Drinkability is what makes this beer an A+, very smooth for a 7% abv and even smoother for a DIPA.

If you like Hop Wallop or West Coast IPA, this beer probably won't be your favorite.

If you like Pliny the Elder, TRY BLUE DOT. They are quite similar beers in my opinion, and Blue Dot is better.

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%

Chilled bomber (Fall 2008 vintage) into a glass, courtesy of end 0))). Thanks buddy!

First review: 4.5 / 4.5 / 4.0 / 4.0 / 4.5

----

I've since had the Spring and Fall 2009 bottles, and I have been continually underwhelmed. A re-review is in order.

A: Pours a cloudy copper / amber color with active carbonation up the glass. The Fall 2008 bottle was foamy as hell, and it took nearly 5 pours to get it all in the glass. The 2009 versions are more subdued, with an inch of fluffy white head. Some sticky lace down the glass.

S: Grapefruit hops, with additional mango and pineapple aromas. Noticeable biscuit and rye character -- more than I expect from a DIPA -- and a mild component of pine and floral hops. It's less pungent than the Fall 2008 version, but I love the tropical component to this.

T: The groundwork is laid by a backbone of citrusy hop bitterness in grapefruit and orange flavors, with a slightly sweeter mango and pineapple complement. The mid-taste sees the fruit recede in favor of the malt varieties, notably a rye bite and biscuitl. The finish is pine hops and grassiness, with a light floral bitterness and small alcohol warmth bringing the taste to a smooth close. The aftertaste is citrus with a strong rye flavor. However, the hops lack bite and they feel... uh, faded. Both 2009 versions were fresh when I had them.

M: Just fuller than medium-bodied on the tongue, with medium carbonation that works well for the style. A mild alcohol belly warmth without being too hot, and nice malt presence that isn't too cloying.

D: An aged Fall 2008 Blue Dot tasted fresher (hop-wise) than a fresh Spring 2009 batch, and the Fall 2009 batch wasn't any better. I don't know if this is the new direction for the beer, but I'm not as impressed as I was before.

3.8/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured into a small tulip it formed an average sturdy head that leaves spotted lace behind. Light shade of copper/orange body and moderate carbonation.

I found this to be a rather standard DIPA. I would put this on the moderate side of bitterness and on the above average side of malt backbone. A little bit skunky but not the spoiled skunk more of a deep end wet hop presence. Raw.

Notes: Solid. In my opinion not worth the dough.

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

Picked this up at HWC per suggestion. Thanks Jordan! 22oz bomber, 2009 autumn version.

A- Poured into my beloved large TK chalice. A shy pour produces an amber, orange-blossom honey orange, with a very brief attempt at a a head, which is brilliant white. Dissipates almost immediately into a few patches of slight foam with large bubbles.

S- Sweet yeast esther and floral-hops goodness of citrus-candle wax.(The slightest phenol?)

T- Piney and orange/tangerine candy hop notes.
Nothing in particular really jumps out, which is both awesome, yet hard to describe! An awesome, CLEAN bitter from start through finish, that really hits the spot for this OG hop-head right here! A neutral biscuit-malt backbone keeps this beer balanced and clean without getting in the way of the hop goodness in any way.

M- Bottle-conditioned perfection. Has that perfect bite on the palate, not too bubbly, wonderful and creamy.

This is one of the classiest DIPA's I've had in a very long time. A clean bitter that just hit that spot. What wasn't in this beer ended up being just as important to me as what was. No "dirty" resin/dank/sticky hop essences(which I adore in context with other beers), or the usual DIPA killers like swampy/grassy/veggie and that over-malt sweet-yuck that has left me hating so many other DIPA's in the past.

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured on tap into a snifter.

THe colour was a hazy orange with copper hues mixed in, reflecting the bar lights quite nicely against the otherwise dark background.

Smelled initially of hops, piney, floral,and then really dominated by a malty background.

The taste has really very little of the malt presence you get on the nose. Tastes as if it is using Lactic strains of yeast, very creamy, then hoppy, then a bit of a malt flavour at the end before the hops rush back in. Very nice

Mouthfeel is almost nitrogenised, but quite "heavy" for an IPA

Not sure what the ABV is on this, but had a good kick too it from just the snifter

3.03/5  rDev -25%

Tasted and reviewed again February 2011 - Winter 2011 bottling. Former high rating from 2009 tasting must be revised. Review of Winter 2011 follows:

Tried again Winter 2011 Batch. Pours a hazy orange amber with medium size white head.

Pine, desert cactus nose, none of the brighter fruity character or pineapple character/citrus character noted in earlier batches.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and balanced.

Flavors are all dull pine with a pine bitter "dull" character. No bright character at all.

Big simple pine bitter finish.

Newest batch a bit of a disappointment here, especially when compared with earlier bottlings.

* * *

Review from 2009: Pours an orange amber with a thick white head.

Bright, lightly sweet citrus, grapefruit and pine nose; layers and nice.

Mouthfeel is full and bright with just the right amount of carbonation.

Flavors follow nose. Nice hoppy IPA. Bright, clean and bold citrus, grapefruit flavors with a light hint of oranges and then goes quickly to a strong bitter grapefruit and pine resin.

Medium pine/grapefruit finish.

A very nice drink.

4.82/5  rDev +19.3%

Had some extra time to kill in Seattle, and the Uber had just gotten in their allotment of the fall release blue dot. So figured I might as well review it while it's fresh (alas, Blue Dot does not age well).

The beer pours the prototypical golden peach color with impressive head retention and lacing. The beer was served a bit too cold initially, and so the head retention and lacing improved as it warmed a bit.

On the nose.... it flat out does not get any better then this. There is a huge aroma of pine, huge hoppy bitterness, and a touch of pineapple, rye and orange juice. Flavors replicate the nose, and as always I'm amazed by how light on the palate this beer is for a DIPA. Alan Sprints has made many great beers, but I absolutely adore his take on a DIPA. Many DIPA's are excessively boozy or high in alcohol, but at 7%, I think he's hit it just right with this one. The alcohol is not the least bit noticeable, and it gives this beer a lightness and drinkability that is stunning. Yet the beer is as flavorful as any DIPA I can think of, with a huge blast of citrus, pine and hoppy bitterness on the finish. Also, there's a mouthwatering quality to this beer, and it's probably the most drinkable DIPA I can think of (along with the twin titans from pliny-land at Russian River). The hoppy bitterness just lasts and lasts....

Delicious stuff. I'm once again reminded why I'm such a confirmed hophead.

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

From tap at Henrys 12th Street. Pours with a great head and settles into a nice lace. Good deep gold, light brown hue. Richly aromatic with fresh hops, citrus, ginger, and exotic spice notes. Flavor is rich and shows more of the same fresh notes as the nose suggests. The texture is what sets this brew apart. This is a rich, delicious IPA. The hops are so well integrated that there is little apparent tannin on the finish. Balanced and easy to sip on. Maybe not for the IPA purists, but I am a huge fan nonetheless!

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Really more of an IPA and a half.

A: Hazy, dirty straw. White head has a little retention & leaves some lace.

S: Big American hop aroma: Tangerine, pine, rind, grass. Candied pineapple & hints of fruity esters.

T: Tangerine, nectarine, rind, resiny pine & grass. Some quality biscuity malt, pleasant fruity esters (candied pineapple), solid bitterness, alcohol is well-hidden.

M: Well-attenuated moderate body has some hop acidity & a dry finish.

D: A great drinker.

4.12/5  rDev +2%

bomber..poured out 10oz to start

a-hazy copper color...tight white cap on top...sticky lacing..good carb visuals...

s-floral and citrusy..a hint of grapefruit...malt holds this together well in the nose...a bit piney and grassy but not over the top..

t-starts on piney followed by citrus...the the malt rushes in to pull this one back a bit...malt fades and the hops dominate the end with waves of piney grassy bitterness..

m-slick and oily..resiny...sticky...sticks to the mouth well....prickly from the carb

d-this bomber will be no chore to put down...alcohol is slightly warming but not detracting

overall a solid dipa...my first from hotd hopefully not my last...another great bottle sent by ghengis22 thanks again..

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room