Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Blue Dot Double India Pale AleBlue Dot Double India Pale Ale

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Available in kegs year-round; rotating release in bottles, dated by 'Season' and 'Year' ('Spring 2009', 'Winter 2010', etc.)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale Alström Bros

johntfox, Dec 15, 2013
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber (spring 07 - fresh & local) into an imperial pint glass, the Blue Dot is a hazy burnt gold, with a tight, medium sized egg shell head, that subsides fairly quickly to a creamy collar and skim, leaving moderate, bubbly lace.

The aroma is really nice, bright, pungent hops are very vibrant, grapefruit and sweeter citrus orange, pine and a sweet sugary backdrop.

The taste is not nearly as sweet and fresh, in great contrast to the aroma. This discrepancy leads me to believe the I was smelling simacoe, a hop whose aroma I love, but has a bland, flat taste. There is plenty of hop bitterness here, but where did all that flavor go?? Mostly, it taste like oragina...I've had this a few times, bottles and draft, hoping I'll appreciate it, but it's forever known to me as the orange juice IPA! Aside from a bit of sweet malt, this is dry and minerally, and closer to saison in that regard. There is also a clean, smooth yet distinct, vodka like taste of alcohol. I'm not sure what taste the rye is contributing - I've had rye brews I've loved, and some that were terrible, so I haven't yet dialed that in, but I generally take it to add a peppery spice, that I don't really grab here. As with most ingredients, I'll have to try it in a homebrew to really figure it out. All and all, the taste is pretty bland for a DIPA, other then the bitter dry finish. In contrast to the aroma, a let down.

The mouthfeel is ok, medium bodied and not syurpy, but a little flat on the tongue.

This is not to drinkable. The taste is pretty bland and inoffensive, save for the overdone soapy orange flavor that I disklike, not that yummy, and a tad heavy. I know this beer has a lot of fans, but I'm ultimately disappointed, which has been my experience with most of the HOTD beers...other then Adam, which is fantastic. Fred I'm still on the fence with. Rose sucked. Blue Dot is sub par.

ccrida, May 12, 2007

pocat91619, Mar 02, 2014

atpca, Jul 16, 2014

FrankHammer, Oct 21, 2013
3.03/5  rDev -25.2%

Tasted and reviewed again February 2011 - Winter 2011 bottling. Former high rating from 2009 tasting must be revised. Review of Winter 2011 follows:

Tried again Winter 2011 Batch. Pours a hazy orange amber with medium size white head.

Pine, desert cactus nose, none of the brighter fruity character or pineapple character/citrus character noted in earlier batches.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and balanced.

Flavors are all dull pine with a pine bitter "dull" character. No bright character at all.

Big simple pine bitter finish.

Newest batch a bit of a disappointment here, especially when compared with earlier bottlings.

* * *

Review from 2009: Pours an orange amber with a thick white head.

Bright, lightly sweet citrus, grapefruit and pine nose; layers and nice.

Mouthfeel is full and bright with just the right amount of carbonation.

Flavors follow nose. Nice hoppy IPA. Bright, clean and bold citrus, grapefruit flavors with a light hint of oranges and then goes quickly to a strong bitter grapefruit and pine resin.

Medium pine/grapefruit finish.

A very nice drink.

GRG1313, Dec 09, 2009

Enjoyed on 5/8/11. Reviewed from notes

A: Pours hazy straw look. Very odd look for a DIPA

S: Lots of citrus on the nose. Grapefruit, orange and banana.

T: Lots of light citrus flavors. Lemon, orange, and subtle grapefruit. Almost a sour funk but I know its not sour/tart but its the closest I can come to describe it.

M: Not a lot of carbonation. Light feeling on the tongue but its the grainy feeling that takes away from this one for me.

O: Its just a little too out there for my taste buds. Almost like it should be a Belgian DIPA or something. A little too much of a stretch for my preference.

gregshead, Jul 12, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -25.2%

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a nonical Guinness pint glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the current ratings on the site. I know I've had this brewery before; I just can't remember how I felt about what I had.

Winter 2012. 7%. Acquired at Wally's Wine in Westwood, California.

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated. The sediment was allowed to remain in the bottle until the final pour, as per the label's instructions.

A: Pours a half finger head of standard white colour, slight cream, nice thickness, and Decent retention for the ABV. Colour is a nontransparent orange-yellow. Looks more like a hefeweizen than an IPA, which is notable but not impressive. Not a unique look, but certainly an appealing one. No yeast particles are visible.

Sm: Orange fruit esters, fresh lemon peel, rye grain, caramelized malt, and hop bitterness masked by something I can't place that bothers me. It feels like an artificial masking. I hope this isn't the case in the flavour. If I had to guess the hop varietals, I'd go with citra and amarillo. A pretty strong aroma - I could smell it as I poured it even with me broken nose.

T: Orange esters and lemon peel are there alongside somewhat stale hop notes that sit unevenly on the poorly executed rye foundation. The floral/bitterness balance of the hops is awkward at best, and never feels fresh or masked. The estery tones throughout are distracting and bothersome. Ripe pineapple isn't a pleasant addition, nor is grapefruit* (which is far too dominant). Decently balanced, and built alright. Too bitter, especially on the climax. It may be one of the more experimental double IPAs I've tried, but it isn't one of the best. Not refreshing. The taste is pretty strong. Not a subtle beer, but complex enough I suppose. Not quite full-bodied.

*I despise grapefruit, but I'm respectful of balance.

No yeast comes through. Some alcohol is detectable, but it's by no means boozy. It's only 7% however, and seems to require more to mask its ABV than other beers in the style with 10-11% ABV.

The rye malt in particularly seems to be the main problem with this beer. Why they chose that grain is beyond me. It sets the beer apart from other IPAs, but makes its quality lesser.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the flavours of the body generally. A touch too thick. A bit sharp, suggesting overcarbonation. Some crispness on the finish is a lovely touch. The mouthfeel by no means feels tailored specifically to the flavours. There is nothing unique here.

Dr: Drinkable but problematic. It's intriguing, but the quality just isn't there, largely because of the untamed bittering hops, poor choice of foundation (rye), and lack of subtlety. The alcohol is fairly well hidden. Fans of the style may defend it, but I'd never recommend it to friends.

Glassware: It drank alright out of me nonical Guinness pint glass, but in future I'd use a snifter or tulip.

Food Pairing: Wouldn't pair well with food in my opinion. Even though IPAs usually pair well with spicy food, this one in particular isn't refreshing or quenching enough to do so.

Aging: This seems a rather poor candidate for aging as its flavour depends largely on hops and the ABV is a mere 7%. The sediment in the bottom of the bottle is a good sign, but if you're aging double IPAs you'd better know a lot more about cellaring than what I can suggest here.

I debated between a C and a C+, but ultimately settled on a C+.

C+

kojevergas, Mar 10, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours a hazy yellowish orange color with a two finger frothy white head that slowly settles into a lasting ring. Streaks of lace left behind.

Very earthy aroma with a strong pine needle character along with some floral and citrus hop notes. Malt backbone with hints of caramel and biscuit.

Full bodied with a blast of extremely dry and bitter hops that dominate the flavor. Strong tongue-coating pine flavor that overpowers the other notes that te nose hinted at. Only the faintest of sweet citrus flavor and a subtle malt backbone with hints of toffee and caramel. Kind of abrasive and one dimensional.

corby112, Oct 28, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -24.7%

A: light copper color with minimal head that doesnt hold at all

S: Caramel is pretty prominant. some light pine and citrus notes too

T: mostly caramel and some biscuit. very like hop notes with some subtle pine note

M: somewhat thin and not very creamy

D: it goes down pretty easy, but overall this is a bit of a disappointment

mikey711, Oct 17, 2010
3.08/5  rDev -24%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a tulip-ish glass. 12/22/08.

Pours a bright golden orange color with about 4 fingers of soft beige head. The head receded very slowly leaving some nice lacing. Aroma is full of herbal and grassy hops, light citrus, orange, tangerine, and grapefruit.

Taste starts with some sweet caramel malt and orange peel. That's followed by a rush of herbal and grassy hops, lemon, and grapefruit. At first I noticed an odd taste lingering within, and couldn't quite place what it was. After reading the bottle I fond out it was the rye. It seems really out of place in this beer. It just gives it an abrasive-cardboard like taste.

The feel is slick, medium-bodied with plenty of carbonation. Not sticky at all. Drinkability is alright. The odd rye flavor really drops it for me.

Overall, not bad but not great either. The rye just doesn't do it for me.

bkilpatr, Dec 23, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

After having some great HotD beers in the past, I was excited to see this on the shelf. What a huge let down. First bottle was lousy, but got a second today in the off chance that the other was an anomaly.

Pours a muddy watered down diarrhea color with virtually no head.
Smell is a weak malty floral mix.
Tastes average at best. First bottle reminded me of a homebrew Flower Power clone. The second bottle was just blah.
Nearly flat.
I expected so much more from this, especially after spending nearly $9 for the bomber. I will continue to grab what I can from HotD, but would not ever recommend this beer based on my experience.

rab53, Sep 14, 2013
3.15/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours a clear but darker than usual IPA color. More amber-ish. No head at all and no lacing.

Smells maltier than the IPA's I'm use to. Like a 90min. Some hop smell

Taste is alright. Not bad just too malty for an IPA. It needs more hoppyness if it is going to be this malty. It's like a 90 min but with less hop character.

Mouthfeel is too low on carbonation. It doesn't match well.

I don't tthink I'll be buying this one again. It was ok and it wasn't a drain pour but it's just not worth the money

PeprSprYoFace, Feb 23, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber poured to a tulip.

A- Poured a cloudy, very unfiltered sandy colored yellow. Murky, swampy, ugly. Plenty of sediment with no head and very light carbonation.

S- Sour citrus notes, tart apples, oranges and strong pulp aromas. A bit on the pungent side but overall the smells are light. Nose has a similarity to frozen fruit concentrate.

T- Nice oily malt hit upfront with a citrus punch. Sour grapefruits, rinds, and an aggressive hop bitterness are the foremost flavors. Lemony citrus hops dominant the hop flavor profile. Finishes with a sharp earthy pine bitterness that lingers. Hops are somewhat of a palate crusher on this one. Rough around the edges. At times, this beer tasted like a lemon meringue pie.

MF- Heavy, aggressive, and syrupy. Hop bite tingles the tongue with an interestingly aggressive texture throughout. Very fresh plant-like flavors that give an impression of biting directing into a fresh hop. Sharp, soapy feel with an oily character to round it out.

O- Lots of sediment created an unflattering look, that wasn't prevent even with a very slow pour. I kept thinking this beer was leathery like an old baseball glove. The lack of carbonation was a disappointment. Overall a loose IPA (not nearly as crisp as most Pacific Northwest IPAs) that yielded typical HotD intensity. They make better beers.

suncrust, Nov 24, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -21%

Poured bomber into a tulip. Pretty nice hazy golden wheat color, with minimal head that leaves quickly and little lacing, still nicely carbonated. Nose is of sweet butter corn, with the hops giving off a bitter grapefruit pith nose. Taste is of candy corn, citrus and some sweet candy corn. Plays more to my palate as a dipa yet only has 7% abv. Nice beer and drinkable yet for the style its no where near the same class as sculpin at the same abv.

Trilogy31, Mar 29, 2011
3.24/5  rDev -20%

wow! super hazy, honey-colored. smells super sweet, a bit floral and a bit honey.... cant get over how hazy and thick it is.... or how much like honey this smells like.... man! thios smells just like honey... am I the only one to get the honey out of this????
taste is TOTALLY HONEY. can this be right? it is NOT a typical DIPA. lots of hop, but honey is DOMINANT. everybody is talking citrus and hop bitterness but i'm getting total honey. did I get an infected batch, maybe? cant drain-pour it.... at least until I know for sure it's bad.... but no one is reporting what i'm tasting.... not hop bitterness. in fact, it reminds me of the PETRUS sample pack which was all honey-like also because it went bad? and no one else is reporting the haziness..
it was okay. maybe I got a bad bottle or one that was left out. I bought it at Total Wine Huntington Beach. who knows? it was okay but not anywhere like a DIPA I am accustomed to. a case for a best buy date, maybe? listen up Hair of the Dog!!!! if it tastes funky, how can we know it's supposed to taste like this? cuz this AINT no DIPA....

pkalix, Jan 20, 2014

dvmin98, Nov 22, 2012

jakewatt135, Jul 15, 2014

Rand_ale_Thor, Jul 10, 2013

Zbeetleman, Jul 08, 2013

TheSooz, Nov 22, 2013
Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room