2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fred - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

FredFred

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Strong Ale |  10.00% ABV

Fred was created to honor beer writer and historian Fred Eckhardt. It is made with aromatic and rye malts and includes 10 different hop varieties.

10% alcohol by volume
65 IBUs.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-13-1998)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fred Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,410 | Reviews: 819 | Show All Ratings:
BeerManDan

Fred is my favorite at this time. The first time I poured and took my first sip, all I could say was "WOW".
Batch #36 - Great
Batch #37 - Very Good
Batch #40 - Another Winner!
Batch #41 - Not as good as the above.
Batch #43 - Disappointed.
Batch #44 - Disappointed Again
Batch #49 - Getting Better
Batch #55 - Like #40
My only wish is that I could find all there beer easly. But the only place I can order it is at Trader Joe's, and only Fred, Adam or Helen! Now, I have to drive up to Portland Oregon to pick up Fred. No one in Northern California handles it!

05-18-2002 08:44:18 | More by BeerManDan
nortmand

VERY bottle conditioned. Lots of yeast. My fault. Otherwise rich copper amber colored.

Hop resins bordering on turpentine strength dominate the nose. Alcohol very present here.

Mildly sweet caramel up front. Rich maltiness by mid-tongue. Wow. Citrus-resin enamel destroying hops throughout. Possibly a bit cheddary in the aftertaste. Simply fantastic.

Full bodied, chewy, high alcohol, but very drinkable.

03-28-2006 01:57:46 | More by nortmand
edodio

This is, by far, my favorite beer. So I decided that it was about time that I shared my love for it.

Fred costs me $3.50 per 12oz bottle. Sometimes, I think that this is expensive. It is only after comparing it with the price of all of the other liquids I tend to enjoy that I appreciate that $3.50 is such a low price to pay for so much pleasure.

I am, overall, a pretty big fan of Hair of the Dog brewing company. I've found that all of their beers have a very complex flavor with many nuances that I'm used to finding in fine wine. However, Fred has come out on top for me, surely in part because it really is such a deep and complex ale, but mostly because it has just the right base flavors of salty, sweet and bitter that seems to hit the spot for me.

I am a fan of many Belgian beers and some American microbrewery graduates, but Fred has remained my top choice for a few years now. It has a wonderful deep golden-to-amber color and a pleasant, slightly honeyed nose. The mildly grassy start is quickly replaced by a mild bitter bite and a long, salty and cloyingly sweet finish that seems to last forever. I savor it for as long as I can, but the glass is waiting for me on the table. So I grab it and enjoy it, again and again. Which I need to get back to now. So I'll wrap this up.

If you come across this beer, I implore you try it. But please leave a few bottles for me. And Hair of the Dog Brewery, get to work! You have a lot more of these to make.

03-01-2007 04:29:18 | More by edodio
depechemode1983

A - Pours a cloudy golden honey color. Has a thick fluffy white head that sticks around for a long time. Leaves a curtain of lacing around the glass. Beautiful.

S - Very fruity nose. There is some sweet peach, and some acidic pineapple upfront. In the middle you get more of a cane sugar sweetness with some floral hop notes. Then it ends with a slight citric hops character the doesn't linger.

T - Taste is very sweet. Lots of candy sugar and sweet grape. Picking up some citrus along with some spice as well. Taste like a cross between a Hefeweizen and a Belgium Strong Pale Ale. Don De Dieu in particular. Perhaps to complex for my descriptive capabilities.

M - Smooth medium bodied and light carbonation. Very soft creamy.

Wow. Very impressive. This beer is delicious. One of the best beers Ive had to date. Highly drinkable. The ABV is high but well hidden. Id like to thank gkunkle for the bottle.

03-28-2011 00:40:53 | More by depechemode1983
bigdonniebrasco

Kansas

A- Pours orange/caramel color. The head is IMMENSE! Anyone that bitches about carbonation issues got a bunk bottle!

S- Caramel, spices banana (sounds odd but trust me), sugar and candy!

T-WOW!!! VERY complex! Sweetness but NEVER cloyingly so, spices, malts, and "stickiness" the banana again, and even though I am not a fan of bananas this WORKS!

M- FULL !!! smooth. creamy, it hits every taste bud you have!!! Never too much, never too little!

Overall- Really AMAZING beer. I would trade my ENTIRE cellar for an endless supply of HOTD goodness! The BREWERY (not just Fred) is THAT good!!

* caveat... I LOVE their BW, Fred, Adam and all the variants, however I am not a fan of their IPA.

09-21-2011 04:33:15 | More by bigdonniebrasco
4000qtrap

Missouri

4.98/5  rDev +21.2%

Source/Serving: Bottle

S: Wow, this is a BIG nose. Lots of hops, malt, and yeast too. Wow. Fresh lillies, honey, spearmint, caramel, rye bread are all in your face. A nice toastiness and also fruit heavy which is super complex (banana, tropical fruit, guava, pineapple). Light ginger, tangerine, and vanilla. Lively and zesty overall. Rye spiciness and Belgian spiciness are moderate, along with apple cider,

T: Ginormous flavor profile, wow, this is massive. Fairy sweet up front, but not as sweet as it should be given how malty it is. Syrupy and thick, but the worried expectation of cloying sweetness is never met - more of a mouthfeel indication than a sweet taste per se. Confusing to the brain. Hops are evident from the get-go with mint, herb, fresh flowers, but are clean and not oily or resiny at all. Body is over the top heavy, practically a shake. The middle is syrupy caramel/toffee/toasted bread malty but really only slightly balanced to the sweet side due to a soft, fortifying bitter balancer. For how heavy this beer is there is a ton of juicy fruitiness and liveliness, really a study on how to make a heavy beer light - very well done. Belgian spiciness/fruit and the rye notes are all evident but in the background, more of a foundation flavor. Incredibly smooth, creamy, almost slick. Finish has a nice dryness, but the alcohol is not at all hot or really very present - very well done. The sip ends with smooth clean mint, heaps of caramel, brown bread, more floral and importantly some rye grittiness (which is good) and pithy bitterness, cleansing the palette and keeping you fresh for the next sip.

A: some of the best head retention I've ever seen.

Notes: This beer is a blast to drink. Find some and drink it. Its totally original, its intensity is uniquely awesome and amazingly smooth for the absolute flavors/aromas of the beer. Don't worry too much if you don't like sweet beer either, its really fairly balanced but uber-malty.

05-07-2013 01:03:53 | More by 4000qtrap
sponberg

4.97/5  rDev +20.9%

Batch #42. Yet another beer that I pour, sip, and stare at. Deep cloudy copper with a head that just will not stop - rocky, white, great to look at. Simply stunning aroma - big hop (citrus, earthy), malt (sweetness) and hints of rye in concert with a whiff of alcohol. Looks at bottle again. 10%? This will be interesting.

ohhh, mama! The beer equivalent of a... a... a damned fine beer. Massive body with all kinds of hop complexity - if you can picture a hop flavor in your mind and concentrate while sipping, you'll find it. Chewy, round toffee and rye maltiness, with a warming surge o' to complement the flavors. Hints of licorice in the background as it warms, which is a trait I look for in old ales. I could literally spend an evening drinking nothing but this beer and be happy as hell. Way up on my favorites list, and an impressive brew.

Can't wait to wait a year and see how it ages... but in the meantime I think I'll need to get a six or three.

12-14-2003 23:49:30 | More by sponberg
Sephiroth

Indiana

4.97/5  rDev +20.9%

Batch 4, bottled on 1-27-98, huge thanks to lou91 for this one. The label is in perfect shape, and the beer pours a clear amber with two inches of head.The smell is rich and complex; buttery, grainy, and vinuous all at the same time.

When I taste this beer for the first time, various expletives come from my mouth. It is that fu#kin good. Multigrain nutbread, huge carmel malt, toffee and butterscotch, slight anise, brown sugar, figs and dates, and a tiny bit of sherry butter. Mouthfeel is thick and chewy, drinkability is a five.

04-28-2006 04:46:30 | More by Sephiroth
brentk56

4.95/5  rDev +20.4%

Batch 62

Appearance: Pours a hazy medium caramel with a prodigious head that lasts forever and splashes tons of lacing around the glass

Smell: Toffee, vanilla, a fully dressed hamburger (is this possible?), some grassy and piney hop aromas and some butterscotch

Taste: Starts with a wonderfully subtle toffee flavor with a touch of fruitiness; after the swallow, a variety of hops flavors emerge taking the bitterness in different but never extreme directions (tobacco, leather, a touch of pine and a touch of mandarin orange)

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and a load of carbonation; warmth in the gullet after the swallow

Drinkability: Along with Adam, Hair of the Dog makes two of the most astounding beers I have tasted; full of flavor but never over the top

04-23-2006 00:12:59 | More by brentk56
oxmasterscream

4.93/5  rDev +20%

Wow. What a pleasant surprise coming off of my last HOTD brew, Ruth, which I nearly despised.

App: Poured into a tulip glass... cloudy copper with a big, cream colored, frothy, thick head which left massive lacing as it was consumed.

Smell: Awesome. Complex. Wonderfully fresh hop aromas coupled with a heavy malt presence. Spicy, fruity, cotton-candy, golden raisins, vanilla, sweet, golden pastries, a bit of citrus... damn, I can't put my finger on one of the smells but I can't get enough of it. I took a deep whiff between every taste.

Taste/Mouth/Drink: Yow. Big time hop burn. Wickedly spicy and seriously fruity. Finish is bitter sweet and lingering. At times a citrusy, sour tang was left throughout my mouth. A candy-like sweetness is balanced by crisp, spicy hops. Warming but not overly alcoholic tasting. Mouth is thick and full but still bubble and prickly on the tongue. Really enjoyable. A top-notch barleywine. The way one should taste. I wish I had bought more than one.

02-16-2005 02:16:32 | More by oxmasterscream
paulthebeerguru

4.9/5  rDev +19.2%

A: pours a gorgeous rich amber color, tons of red and orange hues. wonderful almond colored head with an amazing head that has a phenomenal retention level. Huge amount of lacing.

S: slightly acidic aroma, but nice. big hops nose, nothing in particular, which is great. keeping it all together is the aroma from the malts. sweet, fruity and robust.

T: very sweet malts, with a slight apple characteristic. big orange notes, reminds me of Grand Marnier almost. very robust and smooth, with a nice kick from the alcohol. outstanding palate on this.

M: smooth and creamy for a barleywine. higher carbonation level than expected, but very welcoming. full bodied definitely.

D: like everything from this brewery, it is wonderful. get it because it is fantastic. probably the most drinkable

12-22-2008 03:11:52 | More by paulthebeerguru
timc100

4.89/5  rDev +19%

A: Gorgeous and original. Completely opaque golden orange with a foamy cream colored head that sticks around.

S: Wow. Smells sticky with resin, caramel and pine sap. Huge citrus fruit notes and sweet, rich caramel.

T: Resinous pine, sweet butterscotch and toffee, sugared grapefruit peel and the Belgian candi sugar shines through. Slight rye spice dry notes throughout.

P: Sticky, chewy, full. Coats the mouth resiny sweetness.

O: Amazing.

02-25-2013 06:03:52 | More by timc100
mzwolinski

4.88/5  rDev +18.7%

I've been thinking back fondly on this beer ever since I drank it 2 days ago. I would have thought of it as more of a Belgian trippel than a barley wine. A slightly hazy copper/bronze in color, with a medium-sized head. Aroma is yeasty with a zesty orange-peel component and heaps of spices and floral hops. But the flavor is where it's really at. Undergirded by a sweet maltiness, this beer has layers upon layers of spices (corriander stands out), citric hops, floral hops, and the rye seems to really add a lot of "pep" to this beer. Tingly finish. Alcohol warming is detectable, but at just the right level to add a bit of depth and balance the citric, tangy qualities of the beer. Medium-bodied with a dry finish. I love it!

03-14-2003 07:56:17 | More by mzwolinski
trill

Mississippi

4.88/5  rDev +18.7%

Copper-colored pour, with a big 4" off-white head, bubbles constantly streaming. Strong melon and light citrus aroma, with a little sweet malt. Taste is a powerful honey and raisin sweetness, with a rich bready flavor. Hop bitterness is noticeably restrained, aside from a tingle on the back of the tongue. Intersting near-Belgian yeasty quality; tastes like its being held back by the malt sweetness. Head and lacing are unusually long-lasting and creamy. Drinkability is exceptional for such a big beer; rye taste comes out as the beer warms. This is a very deep beer, one you could have a dozen times and still find something new with each sip.

12-26-2007 04:06:57 | More by trill
jdg204

4.88/5  rDev +18.7%

Abe's Cold Beer in Bethlehem finally brought me to my very first Hair of the Dog brew and I coudln't be more excited. I'm a big Barleywine fan and my brew hero Brenkt56 was a huge fan of this brew, so I was ready to go!

A: Hazy caramel tone with a creamy white head that lasts the glass and leaves plenty of lacing.

S: Caramel, vanilla, toffee, and some piney hop aromas.

T: Begings with a fantastically balanced caramel, toffee flavor with a hint of fruit. Then a variety of hops flavors emerge taking the bitterness in a complimentary directions (pine, citrus, and smoky) but never anything too extreme. Incrediblely balanced flavor for a brew of this strength.

M: Full bodied and a load of carbonation, warm all the way down from the mouth to the belly.

D: WOW, this was an incredible brew, a must try for all beer fans. I've had some hyped beers in the past but despite all the praise I think this one is actually underrated. I've been waiting a long time for the Barleywine that topped Bigfoot and I've finally found it. I'm offically a Hair of the Dog fan and I've got Adam in the fridge so more is on the way. Can't recommend this one highly enough, try it now!

08-10-2009 01:46:25 | More by jdg204
PDXHops

South Carolina

4.88/5  rDev +18.7%

12 ounce bottle from batch 54(!) courtesy of jsilva, poured into an oversized snifter. I see Fred has been reclassified as an American Strong Ale somewhere along the way, probably the right choice considering its hybrid nature.

A cloudy body with a mysterious color that's somewhere between gold, apricot and amber. A modest head reduces to a thick collar of bubbles and a skim of foam, but the retention is surprisingly tenacious from that point. The delicate streaks of lacing are an unexpected surprise as well.

Even at 6-ish years old, citric and leafy hop notes are to be found in the nose, along with a healthy dose of fruitiness- peaches, pears, apples. Complex sweet combo of candi sugar, cake batter, pale malt and buttered toast with brown sugar. Hints of clove, black and white pepper and other more vague spices. My wife's opinion: "This is what beer should smell like". No arguments here.

Shockingly bitter at this age and with a surprisingly lively carbonation that slowly dissipates, leading to a lengthy smooth and satisfying finish. It's damn near impossible to capture every single flavor attribute; let's just say it's every bit as tasty as it smells and then some. Insanely rich and delicious. A purely decadent drinking experience. Fred's a great beer fresh, but outrageous with a few years of age. Highest recommendation.

08-25-2011 22:35:49 | More by PDXHops
PainkeepBrewing

Oregon

4.88/5  rDev +18.7%

Served out of normal 12oz bottle into snifter. I've had many many of these, so I have a feeling for the consistency of the brew.

A - Light/pale brown, very clear (especially considering bottle conditioning), effervescent. Huge head in general that lasts, foamy and white.

S - Fig, sweet malt, spice. A bit of fruity hop on the nose but not much. A pleasant smelling beer that does not have any major standout smells.

T - Holy god. Every bottle of Fred is better than the last. Sweet malt on the front, mixed with some rye spice and then a flush of blended hops. Lasting spice, sweetness and slight bitterness at the end. A slight bit of alcohol depending on vintage, but less than you'd ever expect from a 10% beer.

M - Viscous, but not TOO thick. You know you're drinking a special, strong beer, one that makes you stop and savor it rather than chugging it. Satisfying is the best word to describe.

O - One of the better beers I've ever had and one I will continue going back to as long as I live in the PNW. Fred smells wonderful, tastes wonderful, feels wonderful. It's one of those brilliant beers that seem few and far between and deserves more credit than it already gets.

10-05-2011 07:22:54 | More by PainkeepBrewing
gkatsoris

4.85/5  rDev +18%

A: HUGE THICK HEAD!!! It took 5 minutes (literally) for it to come down; WOW! The color is a nice oak brown. It is cloudy, murky and there are a ton of bits and particles floating around in the glass; I am both afraid, and excited.

S: Alcoholy, hoppy, lots of raisins. Hints of molasses, honey and malts.

T: Delicious!! Malty, sweet and smooth!!! This is the most balanced barleywine I have ever tasted. There is no taste of alcohol at all; absolutely balanced.

M: Smooth and creamy. Rich and Velvety. Perfect carbonation.

D: This actually warmed me like a brandy. I can't believe I only have 2 bottles. Again; Wow!!!!

02-03-2008 23:27:14 | More by gkatsoris
MisterClean

4.85/5  rDev +18%

From bottle, though I should have reviewed when I was there in July.

A - Lots of head, as it practically burst out the bottle. Pours a nice golden copper, with white head. Leaves a nice lacing too.

S - Malts, flowery hops, and slight alcohol. The combination of the two leaves the beer smelling like a rose.

T - Um, excellent. Lots of rose flavors and very malty with a little bit of alcohol.

M - Well-balanced, just excellent again.

D - Although these were very expensive beers ($4 for a 12oz retail), they are well worth it as they are so tasty.

09-22-2008 16:49:42 | More by MisterClean
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

4.85/5  rDev +18%

Batch 42 consumed on 8/17/09 at the HOTD tasting event at Dyan's place. Was told this beer was roughly 8 years old. Wow. I believe it.

This beer was compared with batch 67 I believe. At least for me there was no comparison, either visually, aroma-wise or on the palate. Also, I've had this beer fresh on tap many times at the Horsebrass in PDX, as well as at the brewery. It's is flat out amazing how much this beer improves with a little time.

The beer pours a brownish honey color, with exceptional head retention and sticky lacing all around. The beer has a somewhat viscuous look to it, and in fact this beer is very rich and thick tasting on the palate. On the nose I get a lovely interplay of toffee, chocolate and butterscotch. You can tell right off you are going to be in for a treat with this bad boy. On the palate this beer is incredibly rich and full. Flavors generally replicate the nose, but I'm just amazed by how rich and long this beer is. There are just waves of flavor in this beer, and it has a finish that lasts nearly a minute. Drinkability is unbelievable in this beer. The alcohol blends seamlessly into the flavor profile, giving one the foolish impression that you could drink glass after glass of this nectar.

The years have been very kind to this beer and have turned it into a thing of absolute beauty. An absolute stunner and just fabulous stuff. It doesn't get much better then this.

Edit from 2/17/10: Many thanks to Nathan, who was generous enough to share yet another bottle of 42 with me. Not sure what I can possibly do to repay him for this... After having an entire bottle of this, I've upgrade my original score just a bit. IMHO, the aged version of this beer hovers very close to perfection. If I can choose a beer to have on my death bed, this might be it... butter, cream, caramel (by the gallon bucket) and chocolate, and then with just a hint of green hop in the finish.... the quality of this beer surpases what I could even imagine a beer to taste like when I was younger. Amazing. Incredible. Fred.

Edit from 5/9/10. Was fortunate enough to sample Fred 2 from a magnum at the PDX tasting at Todd's (hannont's) place. Although the beer had to be close to 15 years old, it was still incredibly fresh and delicious. It actually seemed a bit fresher and a bit less mature then the 42 I sampled a few months back, except there was also a nuttiness in the flavor profile that I didn't recall from the bottle of 42. Just a testament to the ageability of this great beer.

08-18-2009 19:24:50 | More by johnmichaelsen
Pahn

4.85/5  rDev +18%

12oz bottle into Duvel tulip. Batch #74.

Appearance: Free pour yields a one and a half inch fluffy white head that dissipates steadily into a long lasting quarter inch froth. Pours a hazy, dark red orange and leaves occasional lines and dots of lacing.

Smell: After a few minutes trying to place it, I realize that this smells a lot like J.W. Lees, which is a very good thing. Deep malty sweetness, along with some interesting caramel/raisin notes that are difficult to describe. Also some faint herbal hops, and various sweet and sour fruits all playing quietly in the background.

Taste: Basically, tastes like a hoppier, more carbonated J.W. Lees. There's some decent hop bitterness (though on the low end for an American barleywine), lots of deep malt, rye, some sourdough breadiness, fig, caramel. Alcohol heat is subdued at first but catches up to you. Amazing mix of bold flavors and subtle background notes. Excellent. I'm trying not to give out inflated ratings, but this flavor is flawless, and I can't think of any way to change it to make it better.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, moderate carbonation. Mild tannic character. Close to sugary at times. Mouthfeel is the least interesting aspect of this beer, but there's no particular flaws here.

Drinkability: This is my kind of beer. I would never refuse it if offered, and would order it over most other beers.

Wow. Somehow this beer has close to the depth and flavor of a 10-yr old J.W. Lees, but it's less than a year old. It's somewhere between a good American barleywine and an amazing English barleywine. I don't know if it's that this beer is simply masterfully crafted, or if it just hits all the notes that are important to me. Either way, I highly recommend buying it if you see it.

07-17-2010 22:21:16 | More by Pahn
bort11

Missouri

4.83/5  rDev +17.5%

Solid punch to the face from JohnGalt1 and the Fight Club BIF.

12 oz bottle, batch #71, poured into a Ommegang flute. The head and to think about it for a few seconds before it decided to show itself. A quarter inch light tan froth that recedes quickly and leaves some spotty lacing. Color is a hazy caramel brown/orange. Small bits of sediment float by.

Smell is a malt bomb of sweet and juicy aromas. Banana and melon, spicy cloves and dark bread. Rich rye malts give it a tang. Taste is equally an explosion of sweet goodness. More bananas, caramel malts, ginger, brown sugar, oranges and passion fruit. Hops are more noticeable as it warms, but just adds to the spiciness.

Mouthfeel is thick and chewy. The last swallow has that tasty sediment grit. Damn this is good. Must get more.

07-10-2008 02:43:15 | More by bort11
DaveHS

4.83/5  rDev +17.5%

Batch 77, poured into a pint glass.

A-Pours a light amber with over 3 inches of thick, luscious eggshell white head. Leaves tons of sticky lacing.

S-Green apple, caramel malts, nutmeg, brown sugar, citrus.

T/M-This beer is spectacular. Lush, rich, and bursting with complex flavor. The bready sweetness of an English barleywine collides with the rich flavor profile of a Belgian golden ale. There are interesting fruit notes in this, particularly green apple. The flavor swells mid-palate, introducing a buttery flavor I have never experienced in any other beer. This is unique. The finish is lightly bitter.

D-An American micro classic.

12-04-2010 07:23:28 | More by DaveHS
Beerbuddha

Louisiana

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

I too have to thank msubulldog25 for this incredible brew. It poured a nice orange color with a nice fluffy white head which lasted a nice bit. Great lacing as well. Had a nice aroma of fruits(oranges and lemons) and yeast. A strong lemon taste is present along with other fruits that I can't quite distinguish. The alcohol is present but not overpowering. Mouthfeel is heavy and the carbonation is mild. I was surprised to see it labeled a barleywine. I wasn't sure what kind of beer it was but that surprised me a bit. Great beer overall and I wish we could get some on a regular basis here in Louisiana.

01-22-2008 21:28:07 | More by Beerbuddha
happy5930

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass. Showed very little trace of head or lacing, but had tons of sediment. The nose was smooth with tons of sweet flavor. The taste was amazing, it practically exploded with hops and malt, sweet to the taste but packed a full 10% ABV punch. I highly recommend this beer, and will age my others for some time. Easy to drink, strong, but sweet.

01-29-2011 20:22:13 | More by happy5930