Fred - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

FredFred

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Strong Ale |  10.00% ABV

Fred was created to honor beer writer and historian Fred Eckhardt. It is made with aromatic and rye malts and includes 10 different hop varieties.

10% alcohol by volume
65 IBUs.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-13-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fred Alström Bros

GarrettB714, Nov 26, 2011

quirkzoo, Nov 22, 2011

TLieu, Dec 05, 2012

seanthornton152, Nov 16, 2011

GimmeGumballHead, Dec 04, 2011

VERY bottle conditioned. Lots of yeast. My fault. Otherwise rich copper amber colored.

Hop resins bordering on turpentine strength dominate the nose. Alcohol very present here.

Mildly sweet caramel up front. Rich maltiness by mid-tongue. Wow. Citrus-resin enamel destroying hops throughout. Possibly a bit cheddary in the aftertaste. Simply fantastic.

Full bodied, chewy, high alcohol, but very drinkable.

nortmand, Mar 28, 2006

sorvats, Nov 16, 2011

Janderson91, Nov 28, 2011

Beertracker, Dec 15, 2011

CEDAMA, Nov 03, 2012

AxesandAnchors, Nov 21, 2012

This is, by far, my favorite beer. So I decided that it was about time that I shared my love for it.

Fred costs me $3.50 per 12oz bottle. Sometimes, I think that this is expensive. It is only after comparing it with the price of all of the other liquids I tend to enjoy that I appreciate that $3.50 is such a low price to pay for so much pleasure.

I am, overall, a pretty big fan of Hair of the Dog brewing company. I've found that all of their beers have a very complex flavor with many nuances that I'm used to finding in fine wine. However, Fred has come out on top for me, surely in part because it really is such a deep and complex ale, but mostly because it has just the right base flavors of salty, sweet and bitter that seems to hit the spot for me.

I am a fan of many Belgian beers and some American microbrewery graduates, but Fred has remained my top choice for a few years now. It has a wonderful deep golden-to-amber color and a pleasant, slightly honeyed nose. The mildly grassy start is quickly replaced by a mild bitter bite and a long, salty and cloyingly sweet finish that seems to last forever. I savor it for as long as I can, but the glass is waiting for me on the table. So I grab it and enjoy it, again and again. Which I need to get back to now. So I'll wrap this up.

If you come across this beer, I implore you try it. But please leave a few bottles for me. And Hair of the Dog Brewery, get to work! You have a lot more of these to make.

edodio, Mar 01, 2007

therobot, Dec 14, 2011

gratefulbeerhead, Nov 30, 2011

schoun, Apr 29, 2012

rolive, Nov 27, 2012

A - Pours a cloudy golden honey color. Has a thick fluffy white head that sticks around for a long time. Leaves a curtain of lacing around the glass. Beautiful.

S - Very fruity nose. There is some sweet peach, and some acidic pineapple upfront. In the middle you get more of a cane sugar sweetness with some floral hop notes. Then it ends with a slight citric hops character the doesn't linger.

T - Taste is very sweet. Lots of candy sugar and sweet grape. Picking up some citrus along with some spice as well. Taste like a cross between a Hefeweizen and a Belgium Strong Pale Ale. Don De Dieu in particular. Perhaps to complex for my descriptive capabilities.

M - Smooth medium bodied and light carbonation. Very soft creamy.

Wow. Very impressive. This beer is delicious. One of the best beers Ive had to date. Highly drinkable. The ABV is high but well hidden. Id like to thank gkunkle for the bottle.

depechemode1983, Mar 28, 2011