Fred - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

FredFred

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Strong Ale |  10.00% ABV

Fred was created to honor beer writer and historian Fred Eckhardt. It is made with aromatic and rye malts and includes 10 different hop varieties.

10% alcohol by volume
65 IBUs.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-13-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fred Alström Bros
2.85/5  rDev -30.3%

Got this in a trade from travisd13. Poured into a snifter and enjoyed with Trevor (lynx1245).

NOTE: After talking to others about this experience, I'm pretty certain that this bottle contained infected yeast.

Appearance: As soon as this was popped open, carbonation rushed to the surface and caused the head to gush out the top of the bottle a little bit. Carbonation even drug large chunks of sediment to the surface. In the snifter, head was four fingers high, white, and very soapy/fluffy. Body is a cloudy orangish-yellow with tons of gray, doo-doo-like sediment at the bottom. Lots of lace. Nice 1/4 inch retained head forms after the first swirl.

Smell: Green apple, burnt sugar, Belgian yeast, doughy malts, spices, and red currants (not in that order). Smells a bit champagne-like.

Taste: Sugar and candy, tart berries, green apple, doughy malts, and stinging alcohol. Sour yeast strain also detected. The stinging alcohol may be due to the fact that I don't drink many barleywines... or possibly this beer is bad?

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated and very hot and dry. Tons of warming in the tummy.

Drinkability: Too hot to handle! Had a tough time finishing this one, but maybe I'm just not used to barleywines. Then again, maybe this one is spoiled. I don't know, but this was a very tough drink.

ThreeWiseMen, Jan 19, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

The head on this one is WAY too big, but the retention is great and there is a pale orange color.

Smell is of a huge whiff of pale malts with a bit of hops underneath.

This is perfectly balanced. There is a huge barely presence with a big body balanced with adequate bitterenss and hops.

The alcohol is well hidden and this is one hell of a barley wine. I strongly recommend it.

jasonjlewis, Jan 16, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Picked this up @ High Time, they seem to be getting some constant stock on it somehow!

Pours dark golden, with a slight haze. No head at first, developing a white, lacing head. As I pour it, I can already smell the northwestern hops. Other aromas may be citrus, honey, floral.

You can taste the candied sugar, 10 hops provide a slight aftertaste of bitter. The alcohol is well hidden except a slight warming in my stomach reminding me this one is 10%. Medium bodied, smooth and quite drinkable.

antilogic, Jan 16, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -19.3%

Busted out for review #200!

Thanks for my first Hair of the Dog goes out over the airwaves to cloudskipper, who dropped this into a legendary box rec'd during the Secret Santa 2008. With the quality of all the brews in that box, I'm going to be thanking cloudskipper for a long, long time.

Almost as long as it took for the head of this bottle of batch #73 to calm down enough to pour out the entire bottle. Frankly I don't know why anyone cares about lacing & head - it just delays getting to the main event! Smell is severely subdued, just the barest whiff of alcohol & sunny fruits.

Unwary, I take a gulp & Fred promptly sears the back of my throat. Holy crap. First thing I notice is a weird burning that tears at the back of my throat & fires its way downwards. What was that? Spices? Cloaked alcohol? Small booted feet? The taste itself is pleasant enough. But I'm just too distracted by the fire in my nose hairs to be able to describe it accurately.

Well, I was expecting mind-blowing & Fred, while appropriately bizarre, just didn't turn my crank. Not bad, & something I'm very happy to have tried, but I doubt I'd reach for another.

maximum12, Jan 15, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: I am wondering if we have some type of a bottling condition discrepancy with this one. Absolutely stagnant in the glass! I poured vigorously, as always, and could not stir an ounce of motion. It says bottle "batch-74-number." Not sure what to think so far, I am considering aborting this post, but I guess I shall carry on. Maple syrup in color with deep reds, nice color

S: dried fruits (pear and nectarines), a touch of alcohol, bit of spice and honey/caramel...bold in the nose

T: cloyingly sweet at first sip, flavors of fruit push through with spiced edge. Kind of like spiced apples, pears, raisins, and the like with a smack of candy sweets. Husky grains also play a role in keeping things from getting over the top sweet, dry rye flavors hang in the mouth and favors a slight earthiness. The hops in it are flat and tame, but noticeable none-the-less

M: smooth as all get and creamy. By look, I swear I am drinking a glass of apple cider right now. Alcohol notes become present as it warmed up and they lingered on my palate

D: this is bold and burly. I am gonna try this one again sometime soon. I checked their website for info on the vintage dating and I am at a loss. I also checked to make sure I am reviewing the correct "Fred" not "Fred: from the wood." I have it right but my label is more similar to Fred: from the wood versus traditional Fred golden special ale (which I have). Maybe a few bottles missed the mark as far as bottling is concerned? In any event this beer still knocked my socks off and it must be sampled

Magpie14, Jan 11, 2009
4.48/5  rDev +9.5%

An 8 year bottle of Fred (batch#42) was split with Chris and Praveen. We are blessed - thank you Nathan, for providing me with this gem.

A: Crystal clear amber with a thin tan head that recedes to a disk. Plenty of carbonation for an 8-year old beer

S: Oxidized but in a wonderful way with sherry, dark honey and a very faint hint of wet cardboard. Almost syrupy with a caramel-like sweetness that's incredible in its rich and sweet complexity

T: The nose is replicated on the palate with the full body leaning heavily on the oxidized sweetness with a good bit of honey. Eight years have mellowed this out and rounded out all the rough edges and the hops have faded gracefully. Sweet and complex on the finish.

M: Well-carbonated for the beer - soft and suffuse with a great body and a sweet finish

D: Dangerously drinkable, I could have drunk the whole thing and then some but I'm glad I got to share it with some friends.

**Edit 28 April 2011**

Batch 75, purchased at TJ's a few weeks back. I've been off beer nearly 2 weeks now, and need a nice welcome back.

Gorgeous, clear golden amber with a dense, off-white head with excellent retention and nice lacing. The nose is beautiful. Clearly a young barleywine, there's a little bit of hop character present, along with candy, a little rye-like spiciness, honey, toffee and caramel. Mildly fruity with some stone fruit character as well, I do get a little bit of peach

The palate opens with a noticeable alcohol character, along with some herbal, earthy hops, moderately bitter and rather green and grassy. As it warms up, the malt complexity does come through, the honey and candy being most noticeable. Again, I'm getting a distinct rye flavor, one that I don't remember. Bringing it up right above cellar temperature dramatically opens up the palate, with the honey and toffee marrying beautifully with the rye and the hops. A little bit of citrus peel bitterness and fruitiness is present as well, especially on the finish that's long lasting, bitter and with some sweetness. The harsh, green hop character fades with time, leaving a rather marvelous beer. Excellent stuff.
4.5/4.5/4/4.5/4

**Edit 18 Jan 2014**
Batch 62.

Wonderfully aged, with a blend of sherry, floral honey, grainy rye and caramel. The palate is sweet with honey, toffee, a mild sherry note, butterscotch, a mild carbonic bite and finishes sweet and delicious. Yummy. 4.25/4.25/4.5

**01 Nov 2014**
Batch 42. Thank you, Nathan.

Incredible stuff. Creamy, buttery caramel, mild sherry, toffee, buckwheat honey, Magnificent palate. 4.75/4.75/4.75

DefenCorps, Jan 07, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -7.6%

Aug 6 2008 Review
Paid $3.99 for a 12 oz bottle from Monument Liquor in Concord, CA. Batch Number 69. Poured into a snifter.

a - 4 - Quarter inch thick white head of nice consistency. Head dissipates quickly leaving a thin covering over the beer. There are quite a few "floaters" with this one that appear to be small paint chips (obviously kidding, but that's what they look like!). These sink to the bottom eventually. Very dark, thick and nearly opaque amber color. Minimal lacing.

s - 5 - Smells very smooth, silky and thick. Alcohol, dark fruits and a slight balance with some hops of the spicy/floral variety. Quite complex and very appealing.

t - 4.5 - Taste is equally complex. A strong brew - the 10%ABV shows its face. The dark fruits come through more in the forefront, finishing with a slightly spicy hopness that is very welcomed.

m - 3.5 - I swallowed a couple of those "floaters" which I was not too fond of. Despite that, this one is as silky smooth as some of the best barleywines I've had. Full body and mild carbonation. The thickness leaves that great aftertaste.

d - 3.5 - Drinking one of these slowly is no problem - it is what it is - a great sipping strong barleywine. Highly recommended. I just wish there were not as many "floaters."

Jan 6 2009 Review
Paid $3.99 for a bottle of this 12 oz beer. Poured into a snifter. This is my second review of this beer and this bottle has been aged for about a half a year longer than the last I had of the same batch (Batch # 69).

a - 4 - Reading the bottle, it states to pour slowly to minimize sediment in the glass. This was something I did not do last time and it really had a lot of "floaters." Good advice as I poured it very slowly and cannot see any sediment. A slightly fizzy small white head. Nearly opaque Some lacing, minimal retention.

s - 4 - Smell is quality. Potency could be better hidden in this one as the alcohol comes through pretty strong in the nose. Smells of darker fruits and a good malt complex. The ten different hop varieties in this one are well blended adding some nice balance, but they are not the most distinguished (as would be expected of the style). A very well balanced and moderately complex aroma for a barleywine.

t - 3 - The malt complex comes through more in the taste. Still very well balanced; this is certainly the strongest point of this brew.

m - 4 - The mouth is slightly carbonated and pretty thick. Has a long finish.

d - 3 - Definitely a sipper.

Not sure if it is mood or a different/changed palate, but I definitely liked this beer better the last time I tried it. Weird because I now am tasting in the winter when normally a barleywine is even more enjoyed.

I did my best to average the ratings for this one.

ibbjamin, Jan 07, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -1%

12 oz bottle poured into Malheur snifter.

A-Cloudy hazy orange caramel color. Nice white head that faded quickly and laced nicely.
S-Caramel, brown sugary sweetnes with some citrus fruit
T-Caramel and sugar sweetness, bitter earthy hop underneath, citrus/grapefruit in there as well, alcohol present and almost unpleasant-adds to bitter earth hop flavor, some bubble gum as it warms
M-Slightly fizzy at first but seems to be fairly smooth, feels a little overcarbonated which takes away from smooth mouth feel
D-Feels overall rough around the edges, I bet this will be fantastic with a little bit of age

hopsleeroy, Dec 31, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -1%

Poured with an enormous head. Huge. It was a kind of pale yellow/golden/amber. Not really pale, but sort of pale for a barleywine. The smell is good. A bit of sweet alcohol, some hops, and a bit of an estery smell. Maybe even some fusel smells. The taste is very interesting, some fruity sweetness, peachy alcohol, with a bit of the burn. Somewhat estery, a bit of bitterness, though not a lot of hop flavor. I like it. The mouthfeel is very nice. There's a lot to seek out in this beer - the hoppiness, the sweet malts, the alcohol, and a rush of carbonation to deliver it. This will catch you, and I would drink it again if I could find it.

taylorhamrick, Dec 30, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

First thing I noticed about this ale was not really its orangey amber color but the super huge frothy white head and the retention! This brew left beautiful lacing all over my glass.

Smell was interesting, almost like a cabernet port. There was a definite hint of bubblegum and a pineapple type aroma to it as well.

Definite citrus/grapefruit flavor with a lingering piney tart bitterness. Good balance between the sweeter malts and bittering hops; you don't have to sip this one, you can chug it! But since the bottle is only 12 oz. anyway, I would say best to savor it.

Good carbonation helped this ale go down but it does leave a slick sweet and sour taste in you mouth that may be cloying after a bit.

Drinkability is good but I wouldn't suggest more than one or two in a night because the aftertaste that lingers on the palate may be a little to sweet and rich. If this aftertaste weren't so pronounced, I would definitely make a night of this ale!

davexisxrabid, Dec 30, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +16.9%

Awesome almost burgandy colored pour with a surprisingly large head. Flavor is full of sugar and fruit and a little bit of caramel lurking behind. The alcohol flavor is present but isn't invasive at all. One of the best barleywines that I've ever had.

Wackyfoot, Dec 30, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +19.8%

A: pours a gorgeous rich amber color, tons of red and orange hues. wonderful almond colored head with an amazing head that has a phenomenal retention level. Huge amount of lacing.

S: slightly acidic aroma, but nice. big hops nose, nothing in particular, which is great. keeping it all together is the aroma from the malts. sweet, fruity and robust.

T: very sweet malts, with a slight apple characteristic. big orange notes, reminds me of Grand Marnier almost. very robust and smooth, with a nice kick from the alcohol. outstanding palate on this.

M: smooth and creamy for a barleywine. higher carbonation level than expected, but very welcoming. full bodied definitely.

D: like everything from this brewery, it is wonderful. get it because it is fantastic. probably the most drinkable

paulthebeerguru, Dec 22, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch no.73, 12oz. brown longneck with full wrap-around label and a blank cap. The cap comes off with an explosive bang! A gentle pour into a Duvel tulip produces a four-finger off-white foam head, atop a slightly murky, amber-gold liquid. Good carbonation to say the least...the head settles rocky to a 1/4" and leaves patches of sticky lace clinging to the glass.

Somewhat sweet and malty, with notes of pineapple, lemon, tobacco and resiny hops, followed by some potent alcohol. Smells like another taste treat.

This stuff enters the mouth soft and fruity, then expands...full and fluffy. As quick as the sweet fruitiness of the malt goes in, the citrus and hop flavors start to take over. It's well balanced with a sweet, to earthy, to hoppy and citric like grapefruit. Yum, what just happened? Take another sip and figure it out. The carbonation really pushes the flavors and makes the liquid fluff and expand in your mouth. It makes this otherwise heavy bodied ale seem smooth and light. The alcohol is big in here but not overwhelming like I was expecting. The actual taste (flavor) reminds me a bit of Panzer, Port Brewing's Imperial Pilsner.

Plenty easy to drink for a brew of 10% ABV and a nice change of pace for this style. Seek it as I did...you won't be sorry, cheers!

Thank's again to travisd13 for making this beer available to me, good stuff!

scottoale, Dec 14, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

Magnum from batch #57. A huge beer in more ways than one. Cloudy light brown pour with sediment. Squatty head that turns into a ring with good lacing. Hearty aroma of malt, tobacco, toffee, slight citrus with hops, and alcohol. Robust taste that immediately warms the stomach. Resiny goodness with malt and earthiness mix throughout with hops, wood, and vanilla. Loved this one.

magictrokini, Dec 09, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from the bottle, batch 72.

At first I poured slowly, but realizing that absolutely no head was forming at all, I poured the last part quite agressively to try and muster something...Nothing! The colour was cloudy and light yellow.

Smelled of alcohol, but in a way similar to a Port. Honts of Scotch Whisky in there too, and of wooden barrels.

Taste had a lingering like a sherry, and a nice warm alcohol follow up. Spicy and Fruity

Mouthfeel was fine, and drinkability was very easy and purely enjoyable for a beer with 10% alcohol

Scott

Chelsea1905, Dec 07, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours a cloudy amber color with a nice sized white head. Aroma is dominated by the strength of alcohol. Also contains hints of spices and white fruits. Taste is very similar to the aroma in which the 10% abv is not masked very well at all. tastes of strong alcohol that is slightly balanced with golden apple and spices. The alcohol taste becomes less overbearing as it warms.

corby112, Dec 01, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

Batch 70, poured into a snifter.

Pours a crystal clear copper with a few chunks of yeast floating about. Tight, fluffy white head rises two fingers high. Serious retention. A thin haze and collar are left behind when the head finally recedes. The nose starts off sweet, with caramel, English toffee, and butterscotch. Juicy pine and grapefruit hops round it out. Hops play a far more dominant role in the flavor, With a strong piney, herbal hop presence. the malt sweetness follows closely behind, with more caramel and toffee. Solid bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium-full, with a long finish.

Rides the line between DIPA and Barleywine, and does it quite nicely. Recommended for sure.

0110x011, Nov 21, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Batch #69. It's a bit young. Pours a clear slightly pale copper with lasting white head and decent lacing. The aroma has a punch of hoppiness that is all over the place with spice, citrus and pine hop notes. The hoppiness is quickly dampened by a nice nose of caramel, dark fruity esters and alcohol phenols. The taste starts with a cherry bite aided by the carbonation followed by muted hop notes of pine and spice. Before the initial hop notes let go a creamy sweet caramel maltiness surfaces along with toffee, a rye twang, mild of dark fruity esters and a hint of biscuit. The hops re-take control of the flavor with a moderate bitter assault that continues to the finish. It ends with hop bitterness, sweet caramel maltiness and an alcohol tingling sensation. A year or two more would help.

BigMcLargeHuge, Nov 17, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +12%

Reviewed on 7/29/08. Bottle, batch 70 Pours a deep orange with a gorgeous thick light tan head. Aroma of sweet fruits, candi sugar. Flavor of initial hops bitterness, followed by a sweet, fruity finsih. Lots of citrus and tropical fruits, lemon, melon rind, pineapple, lime. Nice mild, bitter hops balance the sweet fruits. Alcohol warmth in the throat but no alcohol presence in the taste. WOW, this is an excellently constructed beer and so tasty in the mouth. This beer is top-notch and the by-far best barleywine I've ever had.

Update 11/15/08. Bottle, batch 69. Pours a cloudy orange-brown with a small, super-foamy off-white head. Aroma of sweet tropical fruits, lemon, grapefruit, melon rind. Flavor is quite fruity (citrus, lemon, tropical fruits) and sweet with just a touch of bitter hops in the finish. This is one of the most interesting barleywines I've ever had and it's really unlike any other. Hair of the Dog knows how to do it right!
Appearance: 5/5
Aroma: 9/10
Palate: 5/5
Flavor: 9/10
Overall: 18/20
4.6/5

LilBeerDoctor, Nov 15, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Bottle from Southbay, poured into an Allagash flute.

Appearance: An aggressive pour yields (initially) no head whatsoever, and then slowly, almost eerily slowly, millions of tiny bubbles claw their way up to the surface to temporarily form a tiny, quarter-finger slick and then - POOF - fade away. There's a slight ring of white foamy lace around the rim of the glass, sitting atop this completely opaque orangeish brew, but other than that, it's completely still. After the sips begin, some lacing emerges, little blots and ridges at first, and then spider webs, huge complex nets of foamy, bubbly lacing. Nice.

Aroma: Spicy Pacific hops, a sight estery alcohol as things warm, but mostly fruit - dried fruits, sticky, sweet, syrupy dried fruits. Oy! I get hints of nectarine, pear, cherries, a few darker notes.

Taste: Oh damn! This is one complex and delicious beer. Up front, it's sweet, incredibly sweet - the candy sugar is definitely here, a metric crapton of it, and definitely dominates the front end. That is, until the mild hop bitterness and a twinge of rye begin to steal the stage. Follow it up with some darker malts, faint chocolate, some strong buttery pear notes, orange zest and a few other resinous, oily hop notes (I get strawberries, for instance). There's a huge array of flavors here, and spicy alcohol is only the faintest of one of them - hurrah to HotD.

Mouthfeel: Thicker'n'snail snot. A faint carbonation is lost in the overpowering syrupyness, but doesn't put up much of a fight to begin with.

Drinkability: Not sure what I was expecting with this one, but I was pleasantly surprised. An incredibly flavorful and complex beer with well hidden alcohol, this one's fierce without looking fierce. Has everything you'd want too - dark malts, light malts, dark fruits, light fruits, hop notes, hop bitterness, and only faint EtOH kisses. Recommended.

CrellMoset, Nov 11, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 70

A - Fred is a beautiful beer in the snifter. A very tight, 1 finger head, full of creamy off-white suds. A beautiful glowing bronze body spouts little streams of bubbles from the depths. Good lacing, head retention... all that.

S - Sugary fruits: peaches, pears, slight strawberry. Sweetness, like sugar syrup. Yeasty affects and hops swirl together to give it a spicy, yet fruity vibe. Alcohol is more present as it warms.

T - The drink starts with a fruity, sweet wash over the tongue followed by a slightly puckering bitterness from the hops. Alcohol then plays a large role, in both taste and heat, and the hops and caramel malts linger around in the throat. Malty sweet at times, hoppy citrus at times, with a nice big finish. Complex.

M - Another home run. Medium carbonation, medium-thick body. Just right.

D - I probably wouldn't go for another tonight, but it's not one I'd pass up if I had the chance. A great beer for sipping.

Notes: This is an awful lot different than Fred from the Wood. If I had them both back to back, I'd be hard pressed recognizing that this was the base.

SaucyA, Nov 11, 2008

batch #73 12oz bottle

A: Pours a dark amber color with a thick 2-3 finger white head that very slowly fades as you drink. Light lacing of the glass
S:Sweet and caramel smell with a nice hop finish
T: light hops with a caramel hint taste sweet.
M: Good carbonation with a nice aftertaste of hops and other goodness
D: I would like to have another one!

SirChugsAlot, Oct 31, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -22.2%

Barelywine or Golden ale?

Poured from bottle into my trusty Duvel tulip.

Two finger white head, amber in color. Dark yeast expelled from the bottle, multiple washes and it was still coming out. Sweet malt with a little yeast and alcohol on the nose after popping the cap; glass is even more pronounced. Even more [alcohol] on the palette, whoa, this is hot.. No attempts to hide the alcohol on this one. Getting some hops in the nose the more I get into it. Head retention is good, clean lacing that lasts with the swigs, not a whole lot of sponging. Not horrible, but really hot and that leads me to thinking the balance is off. Maybe this one was conditioned too long.

ballewblake, Oct 31, 2008
3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

This beer pours a clear golden yellow with a thick yellowish head. The thick, fluffy head fades slowly, leaving a massive lacing.

This beer has a sweet caramel aroma. It smells of figs also. Very sweet. It has a strong resiny hop aroma also. The alcohol is well hidden in this one.

This beer pretty much tastes likeit smells. Very sweet with a strong caramel malt flavor. It is hoppy also. Some dark fruits mix in. Black currants.

This beer is very full bodied. It goes down smooth, leaving a sweet caramel like aftertaste. Carbonation fits style well. The alcohol warms as it goes down. This is one complex beer.

This beer would probably not make a great session beer. It is high in alcohol, and the aggressive flavor may become cloying.

Overall: This was a pretty good beer. Not something I want to drink on a regular basis, but definately good.

OStrungT, Oct 29, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

Batch no. 71.
Pours out a hazy burnt-amber tone of golden brown. Lots of active carbonation bubbling in the beer causes a creamy 1 finger head to remain on top for quite some time. lots of good lacing, looks quite tasty.
Upfront sweet candied oranges, hop bitterness, grapefruits, loads of pale malty goodness. nose is full, cream-like, very full and inviting.
Tastes of rich caramels, oranges, light hop bitterness taht adds a cider-like spiciness. Fred plays a delicate balance between malts and hops. exceptionally well balanced. Nice long finish, touch of warmness in the throat. Many times American Barleywines are a little too hot, a little too hoppy to allow the malts to come through, but Fred is truly a barley-flavored barleywine. Sometimes gets a little too sweet, but nonetheless a fantastic beer.

czfreeman, Oct 22, 2008