Fred - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Strong Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-13-1998

Fred was created to honor beer writer and historian Fred Eckhardt. It is made with aromatic and rye malts and includes 10 different hop varieties.

10% alcohol by volume
65 IBUs.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fred Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,703 | Reviews: 853
4.46/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into snifter glass. No date on bottle.

Appearance: just as I was pouring, foam rapidly built up. It was thick like shaving cream, you could almost make stiff peaks like whipping cream. Had to let the beer settle a bit before resuming the pour. The beer had a nice hay golden color with bubbles fizzing up. Some sediment settled to the bottom.

Smell: tropical fruits and a little bit of pilsner malt. Very sweet and fragrant. The hops really shine through.

Taste: it's a mesh of sweetness and bitterness. Hops are aggressive in this; it taste almost like a double IPA. Taste sweet/bitter grapefruit followed by a malty sweetness. I know it's an American strong ale, but if I didn't know that, I swear I would assume its a double IPA.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied mouthfeel; while the appearance shows it's a bit over-carbonated, it's not.

Overall: It's a great brew. I'm a bit burnt out by IPAs at that time but with the significant amount of hops in this strong ale, it was still enjoyable.

4.24/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Batch Number 87. Consumed on 12/17/13 as I begin the chore of wrapping the year's Christmas presents. . . .

A: Poured from the bottle into a Piraat tulip/snifter-type glass. Body is dark golden at first blush, turning more orangey-amber when backlit. A modestly aggressive pour has yielded a large (nearly 3-fingers) off-white head that threatened to escape the top of the glass. Active carbonation fortifies the head, allowing it to only ever-so-slowly settle to a meringue-like hill of foam in the middle, surrounded by soap-bubble-like foam that coats the glass. Calling it lacing would be a mistake; this is foamy.

S: First impression is of the alcohol. Then I get candied fruit, sugar-coated oranges and Southern Comfort or Grand Marnier. Obviously a lot of malt went into the creation of this, as I also get toffee and caramel malt.

T: Pretty much follows the nose, with toffee, caramel malt, fruit (overripe canned peaches in syrup come to mind), some modest spiciness and booze (SoCo again is a thought). Finishes, however, with a good bitterness that seems tannic at times, as though this were aged in wood - young wood. That's quite a feat, given that I believe this has been in my cellar - and then my DBF - for quite awhile, so the hops should have mellowed quite a bit by now. Warming is noted in the belly pretty quickly; no surprise given the 10% ABV.

M: Pretty close to full-bodied in weight, with a modest syrupy feel to it - which again is a surprise given the active carbonation. Somehow this beer pulls off a lot of different things all at once, even in the mouthfeel.

O: This is really good stuff. My only complaint is that I've got to go wrap presents. I'd rather sit in the family room by the fire and sip this over the next hour, focused on little more than this beer and some good tunes. Wish I could get this one again.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Batch 90, 12oz bottle poured to snifter.

A: dark golden color, about a fingers width of off white head. Leaves light amount of lacing.

S: honey, dark fruits, maybe a bit of brown sugar?

T: honey and fruit sweetness up front, a nice bit of spice follows, hop bitterness in the finish. Bitterness lingers just a bit.

M: medium bodied, with high carbonation. Just a touch of burn from the alcohol.

O: very good beer. The 10% abv isn't too noticeable. Goes down easily.

4.16/5  rDev +2%

$4.99 for a 12 oz and a 92 rating, I'm about to see what the hype is. Poured dark gold without any head. Hmmm so its flat? I dont know let me see then "Sip" yeah its borderline flat. Oh well at least its tastes ok.

Smell is a wonderful bouquet of flowery esters and fruit. Peach, apricot, wet hay, strawberry, some banana, just a really interesting complex smell, very unique.

Taste is very intriguing. Main flavor I get is golden raisin, in a big way. Never had a beer taste like this before. Other fruits come to mind, like apricot, pineapple, sweet syrupy goodness, but It's even more so because this bottle was not carbed well. Anyways, kind of belgian like, I dont know if from the yeast or hop combination or what, but its like a condensed belgian triple. Big flavor profile with a strong alcohol taste. It's pretty hot, more so than other 10% beers.

mouthfeel is slick and syrupy, hardly any carb on this one but I am enjoying it anyways. If this beer typically has more carb then I will give it a 4. Must be a bottle defect or yeast problem. This is ever so slightly carbonated to keep it from being all flat, but still needs more.

Over all this is a very unique beer and its way different than anything I've had before. My second Hair of the dog beer, as I have had Adam before. Looking forward to trying some of their other beers but I won't buy this again as it was a unique experience and I think thats enough, for 5 bucks.

3.74/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Fred is my first taste of Hair of the Dog. Reminds me very much of a Belgium. Let me just start with the obvious.... Lots of alcohol going on. Everything from the taste to the high ABV (10%), Fred hits you QUICK. Maybe I should have eaten before hand...

Great golden hue, but....I dislike the thick cappuccino like head. You could blame my pore, but honestly I think it is what it is.

Overall its fairly good. Just above average. Worth trying more Hair of the Dog but not hooked yet.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass; Batch 79 bottled 1/21/2010. Pours moderately cloudy bright orange amber color with a 1-2 finger dense off white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass, with some light streaming carbonation. Aromas of big peach, pear, apple, pineapple, apricot, golden raisin, floral, grass, light pine, herbal, bread, rye, honey, light caramel, and floral earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of hop and malt notes; with great strength. Taste of big pineapple, peach, pear, apple, apricot, golden raisin, floral, grass, light pine, honey, rye, biscuit, caramel, toffee, herbal, and floral earthiness. Minimal bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of pineapple, peach, apple, pear, apricot, golden raisin, floral, grass, honey, rye, biscuit, caramel, toffee, herbal, and floral earthiness on the finish for a while. Fantastic complexity, robustness, and balance of hop and light malt flavors; with a great moderately crisp hop/malt balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a slick, lightly syrupy, and fairly crisp mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming present after the finish. Overall this is a highly excellent blond barleywine! All around great complexity, balance, and robustness of hop and malt flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the big ABV. A highly enjoyable offering.

4.49/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 86

Appearance - Wow. Whirling carbonation just accumulates in a 2 finger head that looks as thick as heavy cream save that it's an off white color. The brew itself is a copper orange that cascades with a slight haziness.

Smell - An unavoidable aroma even from 3 feet away. Dark fruits of cherry and plum, overtones of the hop profile that are supremely floral. Pale malts make up a solid base.

Taste - Extremely complex. Starting with the front there is a sweetness that reminds much of Belgian sugars and the malts follow suit right away, this is brought out more with a little sip of air. The yeasts come into the picture soon after giving a slightly astringent yet fruity profile. The finish has a bit of alcohol heat that complements the style. There is also a oak that comes from below.

Mouthfeel- medium/full bodied, quite milky feel and velvety smooth.

Overall - With all great beers come a great story. I was headed out to start a new job in Montana and was making a 3 day trip out of it. One of those nights I found myself in Portland and at a restaurant that was half bottle shop, half pasty eatery. I was trying a few brews before planning to spend the night in my car and after paying the tab the bartender hands me a bottle in a brown paper bag, "Wait a year before drinking this," he said. Almost 14 months later I finally allowed myself to unveil the identity, and it is easily one of the top brews I've ever tried.

4.27/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Being reviewed is a 2011 vintage.

A - Pours a vibrant amber gold color with amazingly active carbonation and a billowing, three fingered rocky head that takes forever to die down. No matter how gentle the pour, was difficult to keep the head from accumulating.

S - Honey toffee malt aroma, alcohol esthers, vanilla, & spiced rum.

T - Vanilla, spiced rum, honey malt, alcohol esther presence, and warming on the way down.

M - The generous amount of carbonation dissipates almost immediately when it hits the tongue and turns velvety smooth, full medium body feel and slick.

O - Sweet and boozy, a definite sipper, I would love to have a 2013 for comparison.

3.23/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.75

EDIT 6/15/2014: Apparently this beer tastes like this fresh as well, only evermore sweet, almost cloyingly so. I struggled to finished my 4oz of this at the brewpub in Portland. Honeyed, syrupy, yeasty, and too much of a butterscotch bomb to wade through enjoyably. I've given up trying to enjoy this, and will opt for a Moscato d'Asti the next time around.

Finally found an opportunity to crack this open. Batch 87 - poured out of a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Well, I can safely say that this at least pours a beautiful beer in many respects - contains the very sort of showmanship I give high marks to pretty beers for. Cloudy, creamy, orange amber (sunset, really), complete with SEVEN fingers worth of a frothy, creamy white head that nearly overflows when poured to the top of the glass. And, this was when I was careful in pouring it as well. How does a 20 proof beer produce something of this monstrosity? The secret is the bottle conditioning, and this won me over in the process. Leaves behind tons of thick lacing, as well as an egg-white beaten head that's only found in few other beers I've seen, such as Orval. Does it smell the same, however?

Err... No. Still, contains some interesting things going on right here that make it different from your run-of-the-mill Belgian-style strong ale. Canned peaches, pineapples, pears, and raisins make up the main aroma, with tons and tons of caramel and butterscotch following soon afterwards. Contains a funky yeasty character but a rather dulled flavor throughout. I'd imagine this is a bit old at this point, but I wouldn't know with the lack of the bottling date. There's no bitterness here to speak of, but it's definitely funky and sweet in its own regards. I did expect a bit more, however.

The flavor is about the same, but I can definitely say with confidence that this bottle in particular is a bit old by now. What's left is mainly a yeast and malt stew, with the hops long gone and faded away. Notes of candied pineapple, peaches, pears, and green apple fill the tongue, only to be cut by intense butterscotch and caramel from the malts, with a faded citrus characteristic that is from the dulled hops. I'd imagine this is more impressive while it's fresh, but there's something underwhelming about it, especially in face of its high ABV. Then again, I can't TASTE the alcohol under the sugar, but I can definitely feel it. Definitely well carbonated - as creamy and world-class as any well done home brew. Gets progressively sweet as it warmed up - I had to pair it with fatty funky cheese and meat to cut it down a bit.

Not quite what I expected - I heard this was one the brewery's better readily available beers, but it's a bit too old at this point and I'd love to try it again fresh one day and give it a new review. It feels a little one-note at this point, and it's struggling to win my full attention. At least it paired extremely well with a handful of honey glazed nuts, but other than that, there's not much else I can go with this.

4.04/5  rDev -1%

Batch 89 poured into Founders snifter.

Appearance it's golden, light orange, hazy with a thin white head that remains

Smell is pineapple, citrus, peach, sweet malt, caramel. No alcohol in nose.

Taste caramel, some bitter hops, juicy hop flavor, grapefruit, fig, vanilla

Mouth feel is wonderful. Full, creamy, smooth. Some welcome alcohol that blends well with the sweetness.

Overall I am very impressed by my first offering from HotD. So glad this does not have carbonation issues. I will trade for more of their brews in the future. This drinks much easier than 10% but is still a sipper for me

3.01/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip

A - Pours a murky brown color with a light auburn hue when tilted to the light. Mild carbonation and very still in the glass. No head formed when poured and only has a bubbled edge around the sides.

S - Reveals a deep earthiness with a burnt sugar and candied yam/sweet potato aroma. Esters are very evident in this beer followed by hints of dark fruits. This is not what I was expecting. Reveals almost a Quad-like smell. Intense!

T - Almost no carbonation and very off-putting. I think that this is a bad bottle. Tastes of caramel and burnt sugar. Very similar to the smells

M - No carbonation on the palate with a thick and syrupy feel. Not appealing. Again, this is a bad bottle.

O - I'm not going to give this a bad rating as I got a bad bottle. I hope the other bottle I have is a lot better.

PS - I'll correct my review if the next bottle is better.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Hair of the dog Fred: special ale

November 16, 2012. bottle into Duvell glass.

Appearance: 4.5
Clear golden orange body with approximately 1 1/2 to 2 inches of head. Good lacing.

Aroma: 4.5
Sweeter malt aroma with notes of wort and slight bread. Slight notes of green apple and fruit. Mild spiciness of the yeast.

Taste:4
Initially there's a slight sweetness of the malt w faint fruit and Ester notes. Midway through yet more spiciness from the yeast. And the bitterness becomes significantly more detectable, offering a sharp contrast to the sweetness of the malt. Finishes with a moderate bitterness lingering across the pallet, with fleeting notes of spice and malt.

Mouthfeel : 4
moderate carbonation mild moderate this Viscosity. The bitterness offers a moderate astringency.

Overall:4
a nice offering with pleasant malt components. Aroma is enjoyable with the notes of fruit and sweet malt. Bitterness may be a touch overpowering but taste is still enjoyable.

2.8/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in a tumbler.

Let's hope this stuff is more Frederick the Great on the battlefield than Fred Flintstone on the lanes... It pours a mostly clear golden-brass topped by a finger or so of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises thick honey, mild banana, biscuit, mild Belgian yeast, clove, and a touch of booze in the background. The taste brings in more of the same, with the booze and an overly-strong current of blunt sweetness dominating the proceedings. Honestly, things just seemed too sweet and disjointed to get much of a sense of the other constituent pieces. The body is a hefty medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a lightly syrupy feel, and a drying finish. Overall, like many Hair of the Dog offerings, this stuff didn't do it for me at all. It's too sweet and boozy for its own good, and it seems to want to insist upon itself rather than let me experience it in any kind of pleasurable way. God, I hope that makes some sense to someone other than me...

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Yeah buddy, is Raul sure feelin' this one. I assume when Kelis "brings her milkshake to the yard," it tastes like this. Thick(ish), smooth, a bit sweet, almost mead like...but heavenly. All kinds of heavenly. Like all of the Victoria Secret Angels at Raul's house for a sleepover "heavenly."

Yep!

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Very very good beer, very fruit flavor that does a very good job of hiding the alcohol flavor, although it is still there in the aftertaste. Pours a clearish gold with good lace. Very enjoyable beer and during a long day just one alone did me good, which just so happened to be how many I had. Purchased while at the brewery having a flight taster, was my favorite that was in to go bottles and not just a growler, Batch #89

4.49/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz Bottle
$3.89
Liquid Solutions

Batch 67

Fred pours a hazy dirty copper with a great three finger tan head that lasts and lasts. The body glows with orange highlights when backlit and for some reason the head even seems to have a tint of dirty orange to it. A few tiny carbonation bubbles rise to the big dense head keeping it busy. Leaves sheet lacing down the glass after each sip.

This beer smells nothing like what I was expecting. The first thing that comes to mind is juicy but tart ripe green apples along with slivered almonds. Hmmm....interesting. Some caramel and semi-sweet pale maltiness lurk around in the back and there's a nice alcohol spiciness toward the end that adds a great complexity. Really interesting and delicious smelling. Makes my mouth water.

The maltiness comes through much more in the flavor than aroma. Caramel and toffee maltiness show through big along with a mid-palate leafy hoppy bitterness. The green apple tartness and quick but sharp nuttiness come through as well. This beer is as unique as it gets. Layers of complexity. The next sip never equals the last.

The mouthfeel is unbelievably luxurious and plush. Airy up front, creamy in the middle, and smooth as velvet on the finish. The carbonation level is perfect.

This beer goes down super easy but is without a doubt a sipper. I could drink it a little faster but with the sheer complexity I would be missing way to much.

Fred must have been a good man because the beer brewed in his honor is brewed with great care and unbelievable flavor. I'd love to see the recipe for this beer. It fits in no category but has hints of many styles. Another great beer from Hair of the Dog. Adam and Ruth are two of my favorites from this year.

Reviewed: 10/20/07

3.94/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

a copper pour with some black sediment that's actually intimidating (from a homebrewer's perspective). almost like tea sediment. the aroma is all caramel with a hint of toffee, chocolate, raisins, plum, pecans. MY GOD this tastes like candied yams! is that even possible?? definitely getting a LOT of pecan, walnut, caramel, subtle chocolate, sugary sweetness.
full body, low carbonation, very much a dessert beer.
an awesomely sweet delicious beer. get it.

2.84/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Was excited about the color, the smell was perfect
I got the zero carbonation version.
Taste was exactly as I had expected for a golden ale.
Warming but not overwhelming heat.
I'm disappointed, Nothing more to say.
Doubt I would shell out more money for another Hair of the Dog.

1.08/5  rDev -73.5%

Batch 88 bottle poured into a goblet glass.

A- Very hazy orange color upon pouring. No head at all.

S- Very strong smell of dark fruits, sweetness, and an overall off putting aroma. Can't put a finger on what the smell is I am getting.

T- Very sweet with hints of dark fruits. Not sure what is going on with the taste, seems to be very confused flavors overall.

M- Very thick and syrupy with a strong, warm alcohol presence.

O- Honestly I was looking forward to finally trying a beer from Hair of the Dog. I could not drink more than 2-3 sips of this one. Same goes for the rest of the people around when we tasted it. Poor flavor and hard to tell if this was still good. Have heard of problems with consistency with this beer, would try it or other HotD again, but only if offered as a sample. I am definitely not willing to pay full price for a bottle or draft of this or others until trying something better.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Poured almost dead flat, hazy copper in color. Not especially good looking but it obviously wasn't treated well on its trip to me.

S: Rich grainy malts, sweet & spicy, red licorice, apricot and plum, peach cobbler, fruit salad. Perfumy. Very nice, I could smell this all day.

T: Deep and decadent malt character, caramelized fruits, nice English/Scottish yeast esters. Juicy, sweet and satisfying. Very easy to drink.

M: Full bodied, juicy and sweet. Not overy sticky or syrupy, great balance.

3.33/5  rDev -18.4%

Overly loud hiss of carbonation when bottled was opened. After an extremely careful pour I was still left with a good solid 5 fingers of head in my tulip. It was an extremely thick head that didn't even begin to dissapate for 20 minutes. This beer is way, way over-carbonated. Flavors and aroma are nice but this issue ruins it.

2.11/5  rDev -48.3%

Served from the bottle (Batch 88) into a globed glass

A- Poured a dark hazy orange color with zero carbonation, no head, nothing.

S- Big dark fruits (figs, dates), rye, honey, and tons of sweetness, cardboard, slight wet dog aroma. Not a great aroma

T- Pretty muddled, lots of sweetness, honey, graininess, rye, and marmalade. Some cardboard notes.

M- Very low carbonation, syrupy, fuller bodied, big alcohol warming. Drinks pretty flat overall.

O- I was excited to try a beer from Hair of the Dog but had heard bad things about carbonation issues and have avoided buying their bottles for that reason. This is my first bottle from them and it might be my last. Too much money to spend on unreliable quality issues. Their beers sounds really interesting, maybe I will catch some of their beers on draft sometime. Could not drink more than a couple of ounces of this.

4.48/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Batch #86. Twelve ounce bottle served chilled into a goblet glass.

Fred is a medium amber color, darker than expected, though part of that could be down to a hazy appearance. The head is thick and has great retention. The beer looks active in the glass with a look similar to fermenting beer in a carboy. As it starts to settle, a perfect sheet of lace is left behind.

Aroma is sweet and hoppy like a barleywine or old ale. There seems to be some tropical fruit, maybe pineapple, which helps to lend a freshness to the beer.

Flavor is strong and assertive with a huge malt body and big complex hop profile. It has sweetness from the malts up front with caramel and toffee but little or no roast. The hops give a lot of bitterness but also some interesting flavors. Tropical fruit, citrus, and pine all come through. It finishes fairly dry with a lingering alcohol. It's not hot but I imagine it might have been close when it was fresh.

Mouthfeel is medium plus in body and nicely bottle conditioned.

Overall another exceptional Hair of the Dog ale. Not quite as good as Adam but still a very special beer.

4.12/5  rDev +1%

Poured from bottling into a tulip type glass , very hazy beer yellowish with an orange hue to it , huge head that goes down to a nice 1 finger head after a bit , spotty lacing

The smell is sweet and a little spicy with a hint of plums , raisins and brown sugar

The mouth is heavy with lots of carbonation to it

The taste of this beer just doesn't match up to the smell of it , its not bad by any means. Starts off spicy and sweet but ends off with a punch of alcohol at the end that just doesn't fit in with the rest of it

Overall it's a good beer with a great smell just a little off balanced in the flavor for me. The over powering alchohol at the end. I would like to get some and let it age for about a year and see how it levels out

4.48/5  rDev +9.8%

12oz bottle from batch 75, poured into a Fantôme tulip.

A: Clear deep copper body under an inch of dense tan foam. Great retention, solid lace. Amazing - particularly for a vintage beer this strong. Just stunning, really.

S: Wow. Caramel, dark fruit, spice, oatmeal cookie, and some floral (hoppy?) notes. Again, wow.

T: Sweet caramel and toffee up front, followed by more caramel and finally some spicy, bitter, boozy intensity on the finish. Delicious.

M: Creamy, full-bodied, and almost prickly with the heat and bitterness. Quite a mouthful, and enjoyable in its intensity.

O: What a beer! This is not for the faint of heart, as even with a few years on it Fred packed a serious punch in every way. I particularly loved the complexity of sugars in the aroma. I just wish I'd bought more than this one bottle!

Cheers!