Fred - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

FredFred

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Strong Ale |  10.00% ABV

Fred was created to honor beer writer and historian Fred Eckhardt. It is made with aromatic and rye malts and includes 10 different hop varieties.

10% alcohol by volume
65 IBUs.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-13-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fred Alström Bros
4.53/5  rDev +11%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to FosterJM for this one!

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass at cellar temperature.

L - Medium amber color, slightly hazy from bottle conditioning yeast, with an incredible 4-finger bubbly, pillowy white head. I had to pour and stop multiple times just to get enough beer into my glass; it was nearly all head at first! Amazing retention, great lacing, nice amount of carbonation bubbles. This may be the best head on a beer I’ve ever seen to this point.

S - Sweet caramel malt and candied sugar, noticeable rye spiciness, and a solid presence of the telltale West Coast citrus and tropical fruit hops. Maybe a tinge of alcohol, but that also may be the rye spice blending with the fruity and sugary sweetness. Smells nice and well-balanced.

T - Starts off sugary and caramel sweet, then the building hop bitterness catches up with grapefruit, pineapple, and peach notes, along with a definite rye spiciness. A little bit of alcohol noticeable.

F - Medium-bodied, a little bit of carbonation, very creamy mouthfeel, and a spicy, bitter, and dry finish. Every taste (sweetness, spice, bitterness, and dryness) lingers for a great amount of time. Also, a pleasant throat-warming feeling from the alcohol.

O - This was a deliciously drinkable sipper of a beer. One of the best looking beers I’ve ever seen, with a complex aroma and taste. There’s lots of different flavors here but they all go together extremely well. Great creamy mouthfeel as well. This was my first “strong ale” but I can tell that this must be one of the best. Extremely glad I was able to try this beer.

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

Batch 83

A: Orange copper with a huge head, even poured slowly since I knew this was gonna be highly carbonated. Decent lacing.

S: Candied sugar, carmel, fruity yeast, honey. Some apples and grapes? A bit of spice in the under everything.

T: Very complex. Lots of malty sweetness, but not overly sweet since there is some spice too. Honey and carmel sweetness with light fruits (apples, green grapes) and then some light black pepper and rye spice come along with citrus and hops. Nice long finish that kind of dries up your mouth and then makes it water. A little bit of alcohol too.

M: Medium to light body. Very high carbonation, under that though, it feels a bit oily.

O: My first HotD. Well done for sure. Pretty good drinkability considering the 10% abv. Glad I have another one to sit on for awhile.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Effervescent and golden with a huge frothy head; great lacing

S: Lots of citrus and fruit: pineapple, lemon, apples; some booziness, grainy, and somewhat hoppy

T: Grainy and fruity and dry and boozy; yeasty and hoppy; this is a balanced and interesting beer

F: Creamy with great mouthfeel; so creamy

O: This is a great and surprisingly complex beer; hoppy and grainy and fruity

Bottle poured into my HOTD tulip glass.

A - Pours deep amber orange with no head at all, only a tiny bit of foam around the edge of the glass, leaving no lace at all down the glass.

S - Smells of caramel, butterscotch, vanilla, fruity yeast, oak and a good amount of alcohol. This one smells really sweet with some booze creeping in at the end of each sniff.

T - Starts off with plenty of sugary sweetness that never really goes away. Hints of fruit, vanilla, oak and some dulled piney hops offer some break from the sweetness but it doesn't last long. Finish is sweet with quite a bit of booze burn, lingering on the palate long after the finish.

M - Smooth body with a ton of sweet flavors and moderately low carbonation, almost none really. There is still quite a bit of booze present in this one.

O - I liked this one but it never really wow'd me in any way. The lack of carbonation really didn't help either. I wouldn't turn another down but I won't be running out to get more.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

My first HotD - very excited. Big thanks to Tim (FunkyMacGroovin) for adding this on to our trade. Here we go.

A - poured into my Sam Adams special "ooh-look-at-how-fancy-I-am" glass. Pours a very dark golden with a ton of haze. Great carbonation that lasts. The head is magnificent, up to 3 inches with a moderate pour and pillowy as hell. I want to take a nap on it. Fades over about 5 minutes with great thick lace to about 1/4 of head that sticks around throughout.

S - sweet malt, honey, citrus hops. A hint of alcohol at the end if I really shove my nose in there.

T - wow. Utterly surprising. All malt sweetness that then changes to rye and spice (maybe some fruit?) followed by a bitter blast. Finishes with a lot of alcohol heat that really sticks around. 10% indeed.

M - medium, maybe slightly heavy. Good amount of CO2. The alcohol warmth leaves you with little else to think about though.

O - great introduction to Hair of the Dog. Probably a little too boozy for my taste. Well, I love high gravity, but not when I can really taste it. Thanks again to FunkyMacGroovin for the trade.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

A - When I first poured the beer it foamed up quite a bit but the foam was thick rich. The lacing on the glass was awesome and it too was thick attesting to the massive hops in the mix. The beer has a cloudy, copper appearance which tells me that there is alot going on in this beer.

S - The rye and hops are very noticable as is a hint of Belgian in the aroma which to me is a great combination.

T - Awesome taste! I tried not to drink it too quickly but the hops, rye, and the big shot of alcohol from the candy sugar really gives this beer a great taste, with some Belgian hints. I imagine that the longer I keep other Freds aging that even more taste will come out.

M - The mouthfeel is great with big full flavor and the thickness, if you will, from the mix of hops, rye, and the Belgian candy sugar really ramps this beer up. Nice job!

O - I really enjoyed this beer. I think only one is enough though due to the strength. I will on the look out for more hair of the Dog beers in my travels.

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

12 oz bottle of batch 84. Believe this was from a recent trade, but my notes defy me. Thank you kind whoever for the opportunity.

Opens with a big hiss that previews the massive billow of fluff. Carbonation seems to be a standing issue with HotD, covering all facets of the spectrum. Very hazy darker orange in the glass with a steady cover throughout. Oodles and oodles of bubbles as well.

Smells along the lines of a belgian triple: candy sugar is well pronounced with the underlying spice of rye and some herbal and citrus notes.

Tastes follows suit. Spicy rye, candy sugar, and hops. A little too much on the Belgian end for my liking. Hops fight through and take grasp leaving a sharp bitter snap on the finish. Citrus and spice seal the deal.

Overall, I prefer my strong ales less in the yeasty vain. In fact, I dislike yeasty beers. There's enough here to distract from the distraction, just not enough to salvage it completely. Overcarbonation doesn't help much either.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

12 oz bottle from batch 83. I got this one courtesy of my local bottle shop manager (thanks Thad!) and it was poured into my Bruery tulip.

Hair of the Dog Fred pours a fairly cloudy orange, with a monstrous four plus fingers of white foam crowning the beer. Head retention is out of this world, ten minutes after the pour there's still a sizable chunk of white floating in my glass. The nose is great, with lots of earthy, spicy notes from the rye, and some fragrant tropical fruit and grapefruity citrus aromas as well. The menagerie of hops that went into this brew (supposedly ten different varietals) don't come off as well in the flavor profile. The fruity and citrusy components are a bit more muddled and not a crisp and clear. The rye comes through again nicely though, with a delicate spice. The body is surprising in that I was expecting it to be a bit more rich considering that a good amount of rye must have gone into the beer. The carbonation is slightly higher than average, which contributes both to the unexpected levity in body and the prominence of hop flavors and aromas. This was my first time trying Hair of the Dog Fred, and I really enjoyed it. I'll definitely look to pick more up in the future.

Fred from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room