Fred - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

FredFred

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Strong Ale |  10.00% ABV

Fred was created to honor beer writer and historian Fred Eckhardt. It is made with aromatic and rye malts and includes 10 different hop varieties.

10% alcohol by volume
65 IBUs.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-13-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fred Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +10%

A - When I first poured the beer it foamed up quite a bit but the foam was thick rich. The lacing on the glass was awesome and it too was thick attesting to the massive hops in the mix. The beer has a cloudy, copper appearance which tells me that there is alot going on in this beer.

S - The rye and hops are very noticable as is a hint of Belgian in the aroma which to me is a great combination.

T - Awesome taste! I tried not to drink it too quickly but the hops, rye, and the big shot of alcohol from the candy sugar really gives this beer a great taste, with some Belgian hints. I imagine that the longer I keep other Freds aging that even more taste will come out.

M - The mouthfeel is great with big full flavor and the thickness, if you will, from the mix of hops, rye, and the Belgian candy sugar really ramps this beer up. Nice job!

O - I really enjoyed this beer. I think only one is enough though due to the strength. I will on the look out for more hair of the Dog beers in my travels.

beerenjoyer1, Apr 30, 2012

schoun, Apr 29, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

emaciated, Apr 26, 2012

iL0VEbeer, Apr 26, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -18.1%

12 oz bottle of batch 84. Believe this was from a recent trade, but my notes defy me. Thank you kind whoever for the opportunity.

Opens with a big hiss that previews the massive billow of fluff. Carbonation seems to be a standing issue with HotD, covering all facets of the spectrum. Very hazy darker orange in the glass with a steady cover throughout. Oodles and oodles of bubbles as well.

Smells along the lines of a belgian triple: candy sugar is well pronounced with the underlying spice of rye and some herbal and citrus notes.

Tastes follows suit. Spicy rye, candy sugar, and hops. A little too much on the Belgian end for my liking. Hops fight through and take grasp leaving a sharp bitter snap on the finish. Citrus and spice seal the deal.

Overall, I prefer my strong ales less in the yeasty vain. In fact, I dislike yeasty beers. There's enough here to distract from the distraction, just not enough to salvage it completely. Overcarbonation doesn't help much either.

BarrytheBear, Apr 24, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

codynevels, Apr 23, 2012

Frankieteardrop, Apr 17, 2012

slimntubbs, Apr 15, 2012
4.13/5  rDev +1%

12 oz bottle from batch 83. I got this one courtesy of my local bottle shop manager (thanks Thad!) and it was poured into my Bruery tulip.

Hair of the Dog Fred pours a fairly cloudy orange, with a monstrous four plus fingers of white foam crowning the beer. Head retention is out of this world, ten minutes after the pour there's still a sizable chunk of white floating in my glass. The nose is great, with lots of earthy, spicy notes from the rye, and some fragrant tropical fruit and grapefruity citrus aromas as well. The menagerie of hops that went into this brew (supposedly ten different varietals) don't come off as well in the flavor profile. The fruity and citrusy components are a bit more muddled and not a crisp and clear. The rye comes through again nicely though, with a delicate spice. The body is surprising in that I was expecting it to be a bit more rich considering that a good amount of rye must have gone into the beer. The carbonation is slightly higher than average, which contributes both to the unexpected levity in body and the prominence of hop flavors and aromas. This was my first time trying Hair of the Dog Fred, and I really enjoyed it. I'll definitely look to pick more up in the future.

axeman9182, Apr 14, 2012

ales4baldo, Apr 10, 2012

Texasfan549, Apr 08, 2012
4.23/5  rDev +3.4%

2011, Fresh

A: Huge foamy head – three fingers poured into a snifter. Cloudy orange straw body.

S: Light citrusy hops dominate nicely. Deep in the background: malty earth, esters, ripe apple, alcohol.

T: A sort of rye spiciness, honey sweet, light citric notes, apple and pear ripe orchard fruits. A lingering rough bitterness – perhaps the yeast got unsettled in the trip. Maybe a bit hot for my taste? Really neat, though.

M: Nice carbonation, warming alcohol sits in the stomach. Decent.

O: Great beer, even when I find the roughness a tad unsettling. Someone here put it nicely; a marriage between an American Barleywine and a Belgian Tripel. Fascinating and I'm glad I got to try it.

cmadd, Apr 08, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

HarmonMW, Apr 08, 2012

eawolff99, Apr 07, 2012

Zaphog, Apr 07, 2012

gueuzegossage, Apr 06, 2012

Stumpy29er, Apr 06, 2012
4.78/5  rDev +16.9%

Served in a tulip. Rich copper color. Plenty of carbonation, and nice lacing on the glass. Lots of toasted malt. Sweet without being sickly, like caramelized apples in a pie. I'm not getting much hop bitterness, possibly because I've aged this quite a while. Delicious. Batch 71.

gabrielsyme, Apr 06, 2012

Swervine44, Apr 05, 2012
2.18/5  rDev -46.7%

Served from a small bottle (bought at K&L in Redwood City) into a snifter.

A: Dark amber, cloudy. Some yeast sediment floating around. Medium-high head with decent retention.

S: Caramel and floral hops. Maybe even some hot alcohol.

T: Wow, that's bitter and intense. There's almost a stinging sensation a couple of seconds after taking a sip. Bitterness in the aftertaste, as well. Other than that, there are a few complex flavors hidden in there - caramel, maybe liquorice, citrus.

M: Heavy. Medium carbonation. As I mentioned above, the bitterness is quite overwhelming.

O: Definitely a slow-sipping beer. I don't enjoy beers this intense, unless they're barrel-aged stouts or maybe barleywines.

shleepy, Apr 01, 2012

Scout11, Mar 23, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch Number 78

Let this one warm to near room temp. It will improve considerably.

Appearance – A cloudy golden amber color with a huge head. Lots of sediment. Excellent lacing.

Smell – Honey, citrus, malt, and sweet dried fruit. There’s a nice spicy scent, but I don’t know what spice it is.

Taste – Honey dominates the taste, with lots of malt, hops, and a hint of citrus. There’s also that spice I can’t place that’s really good.

Mouthfeel – Very thick and creamy; maybe too creamy for the style, but it's interesting. The alcohol is incredibly subdued. I would have guessed this be 6% rather than 10% (although if you sip on the huge head, you may notice the alcohol!)

Drinkability – Amazingly drinkable for a 10%abv beer. Another great beer from Hair of the Dog; I’m officially a fan.

Falcon91Wolvrn03, Mar 21, 2012