Cherry Adam From The Wood - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Cherry Adam From The WoodCherry Adam From The Wood

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Beer added by: SirChugsAlot on 11-16-2008

Cherry Adam from the Wood is aged with locally grown black cherries in Bourbon and Sherry casks for 15 months.

First release - November 2008
Second release - November 2009
Third release - March 2011
Fourth release - November 2012
1.85/5  rDev -56.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

2009 Bottling
12oz Bottle poured into my Hair of the Dog Tulip

A: This beer poured a very dark redish-brown. Red hues are visible on the edges. No head what so ever, AT ALL.

S: Small elements of the original Adam are present, you get small aromas of dark fruits such as plums, figs and dates. What really dominates the nose is a mixture of bourbon and cherries - go figure. Small amount of vanilla coming through.

T: Here comes the disappointment. I don't know if I'm just not understanding what is trying to come out of the beer, but it taste like cherry nyquil that some one dumped a little bit of cheap bourbon in. It is very malty and some what disgusting to a point if i don't know if i want to finish the glass. The cherries and bourbon seem to be fighting each other in my mouth competing on who is the ultimate flavor.

M: Bad, and i mean REALLY BAD. While it is medium bodied - almost full bodied like a big RIS, it is completely FLAT. Did Lost Abbey make this beer? I understand that certain beers should have lower amounts of carbonation then others but this is just plain bad. This beer could also use some more time (if you even wanted to wait/hoped it got better). It is pretty dang hot. Has not calmed down one bit. (While i havn't tried it fresh, with how hot it is now, i could only imagine how hot is was fresh.)

D: At its current rate, pretty dang bad. It honestly in my opinion tasted like Nyquil, maybe even worse (ouch i know). Also the alcohol was way to hot to even really bare through the rest of the bottle. Maybe with some more age this beer will prove, but only time will tell. (on a side note, after finishing the bottle, I have concluded Nyquil does taste better.)

Final Thought: I don't know if i just got a bad bottle or what, but right now this beer was a HUGE disappointment. Was pretty excited to taste until i took the first sip and it was all down hill from there. I started drinking the beer a little to cold, but while i drank it slowly and let it warm up to around 50-55 F, i found myself giving it lower and lower scores. Man, and adam was just so good! Probably will have to revisit this with another bottle just to make sure i didn't get a bad egg. But as it stands, this sucked.

2.83/5  rDev -33.6%

3oz pour from bottle into a snifter.
A- Dark brown with purple hues, no head.
S- Bourbon, sweet, boozy.
T- Vicks cough syrup, not my thing
M- Thick, not carbonated
O- Just not my thing, wouldn't drink again. I'm sure its fine if you are into cherries, but I don't care for it.

2.85/5  rDev -33.1%

2009 vintage. 12 oz. bottle courtesy of Elendinn poured into DFH Signature Glass.

A- Dark brown with absolutely no head. A few scattered bubbles around the edge of the beer.

S- Dark fruits, raisins, figs, and the like with some chocolate and alcohol.

T- Overtly sweet in the beginning, with some candied dark fruit. Finishes a bit smoky and bitter, with a roasted quality. Almost no cherry to speak of. A strange combination of flavors, going from too sweet into smoky and warming, almost like a whiskey. I don't know about this one...

M- Very viscous, and practically flat. Again, not what I was expecting, and not particularly nice.

D- Not very high. Big flavors and high ABV make this one a sipper.

This one was pretty disappointing. Maybe I'm missing something, but I found this to be too sweet, too syrupy, and a bit too harsh. I don't taste cherries, and the flavors don't really work for me.

2.88/5  rDev -32.4%

Appearance: Pours out a very dark brown body (though some reddish hints at the far edges) with a few bubbles that never quite form a head.

Smell: Earthy-scented, oxidized, and boozy are my main impressions joined by empty, lacking notes of spiced, brown sugar mixed cherries and soiled, more-than-musty wood.

Taste: Starts sweet, then traipses off towards a muddied earthiness, a dash of soy atop crushed sourish, tangy black cherries, and some solvent alcoholic heat. Oxidized malts. Rank wood. Modest phenolic smokiness. Near-flat, sweet, cherryish finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Very little carbonation present.

Overall: I'm sorely disappointed here. I was really expecting quite a bit more, instead, it's muddled, lacking, and rather non-cohesive.

2.91/5  rDev -31.7%

Got bottles of the 2012 and 2011 as a surprise from Claaark13. You were right. This HotD night wouldn't have been complete without these. Cheers man!

From a bottle into a snifter
Vintage: 2012
Drank the 2012 and 2011 back to back. Review is for the 2012 with comparisons to the 2011. Had also had a regular Adam and Adam from the Wood in the same session.

APPEARANCE: Pours out transparent brown and produces a small, medium looking, tan head with decent retention. Head fades rather quickly to a bubbly ring. Sits dark brown in the glass, almost black, with lower levels of carbonation evident. A muddy seal brown is perhaps the most accurate color description. A faint ring remain until the end, leaving some dots of lacing down the glass. Head is a little less impressive than the regular Adam, but body is much the same.

SMELL: Cherry heavy for sure. Some bourbon and oak in there, but the cherry is definitely the start of the show. Adam from the Wood had a touch of cherry in there already, so this is a couple steps beyond that. The 2011 had less cherry and more of the oak and bourbon, making for a better balanced and more interesting nose.

TASTE: Lots of cherry with some barrel flavors as well. This is bourbon barrel + cherry for sure. Milder but lingering finish of cherry, vanilla, coconut and oak from the bourbon barrels, as well as some light leather notes. A little more interesting than the nose. The 2011, much like the nose, had very little cherry flavor and, thus, a much stronger bourbon barrel presence.

PALATE: Similar to Adam from the Wood, though lighter on the palate. Medium body, not quite as much weight as expected, and slightly lower levels of carbonation. Nice and creamy on the palate, goes down smooth with a slight bit of heat and burn after the swallow. Finishes somewhat mouth coating. Decent, but could use some more weight. The 2011 must have had some carbonation issues as it was almost flat.

OVERALL: This was my least favorite of the night. I found the cherry a little too dominant in the 2012 bottle, which somewhat overwhelmed my palate. I actually preferred the more balanced and bourbon barrel forward 2011 version, though I'm not sure if that was a batch difference, a result of aging, or a combination of both. However, the relatively flat feel of the 2011 kind of ruined that one for me as well. In the end, I was happy to try these, especially side-by-side, but it's not one I'd go after again. Much preferred the regular Adam and Adam from the Wood. Cheers again for all the stuff Claaark13. This was a piss load of fun!

2.94/5  rDev -31%

Shared as part of the pre EBF tasting by Joe with the renegades of funk. It pours into a tasting glass with a dark brown color. It's almost flat, and only produces some large bubbles which turn to nothing.

The aroma is raw and boozy, with a hot, fruity character. It reminded me of chocolate covered cherries. Alcohol fumes take over. I'm liking the cherry character but it could use more complexity and less alcohol. The flavor is alcoholic, woody, and very sweet with rich notes of toffee and caramel. This is a very rich beer with a lot of liqour influences. There was a really nice cherry-chocolate character that made me think of a cherry mash chocolate truffle, which I've never even had. In the end, its just a bit too boozy and out of my personal comfort zone.

There was only a prickle of carbonation on the mouthfeel to go with a slightly syrupy consistency. It actually tasted hotter than 10%, and it was certainly intended to be shared. This was a beer I wanted to try, but I found it hard to finish towards the end.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Had both 2012 and 2014 variants. One was flat the was ok. Not sure where the hype comes from but this beer doesn't meet expectations I had for it. Not enough cherry, too much Tabacco taste (I'm a chewer) just not my gig...do get soMe raisin notes but that's about it. Without seeing what actual score is from above, I'd give it a 2.9...

3.08/5  rDev -27.7%

12oz bottle opened by airfoil, thanks! Served in a Snifter, 2011 vintage.

A - Pours out a lovely red wine color, with huge syrupy texture. Completely flat. I have never personally seen a beer this completely lacking in carbonation. My morning coffee pours with more bubbles.

S - Smells like a nice wine barrel that has been soaking in cherries for quite some time. Tons of table and brown sugar are oosing out of this beer. Can get a good amount of alcohol as well. Despite being completely flat, it smells great.

T - the taste quite follows the look and smell. It's very fruit forward and very sugary. Tons of left over sugar make it syrupy and slick. A very vinous flavor is under all of the fruit and sugar. This would be so much better with carb.

M - Flat and sticky. Like melting down candy and adding water. Really lacking without carbonation.

O - Could have been a great beer, but no bubbles completely ruins it for me.

3.11/5  rDev -27%

Pours basically black with no lasting head whatsoever. Just some beige bubbles kicked up from the pour, but not a real head. Smell is smooth and rich bourbon and oak, mainly and is quite nice. Taste is a touch tart and perhaps fruity, but not cherries per se, and of course some bourbon and definite wood character. Tart fruity malt flavor but only a very faint actual cherry flavor, even when looking for it. Some very light alcohol in the flavor and its a touch warming. Beer is flat after 5 minutes in the glass which kills the beer for me, and once again another overpriced and over hyped HOTD beer with a huge bottling flaw... At about 15 dollars for a 12 ounce bottle plus shipping this is ridiculous. This is not something I would buy again if it were 3 bucks.

3.12/5  rDev -26.8%

2009 vintage.

Pours a dark brown, almost black color with plum hues and a very thin head that immediately fades without a trace of lacing.

Earthy aroma with lots of oak, booze, dark fruit and sweet malt. Hints of vanilla, toasted oak, dark cherry, fig, raisin, plum and bourbon.

Medium bodied but on the fuller end with a very boost flavor that dominates, slightly overpowering the other flavors. Tons of oak and peaty bourbon folowed by the dark fruit notes. Hints of dark cherry, fig, raisin and currant give sweetness that counters toasted notes from the wood. That being said there is a crazy amount of harsh boozy heat that makes it tough to put down.

3.14/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours black with a reddish tinge. Looks oily, with no head at all. Not really a surprise or disappointment considering the style.

Typical sweet old ale nose, maybe some cherry but really I'm not sure if I would identify the cherry specifically if I didn't already know it was there (maybe because the black cherries are different from the cherries typically used in beers).

Pretty tasty. Not really what I expected, it's recognizable as an old ale but it also has some non-beer flavors, maybe dark mead or something. Black cherries are way more obvious in the taste than in the nose. This is good, but not nearly as good or complex as some of the other old ales I've had.

Very slick and oily mouthfeel. Extremely low carbonation. Low carbonation is to be expected from an old ale I guess, and usually isn't a problem at all, but somehow I feel like this one needs a little more. It just tastes thin, and even though the flavor is good the mouthfeel is detracting from the experience.

Overall, a good beer but not my favorite old ale. If I'd had no expectations going in, I would have been pleased, but considering the reputation this beer has and the way some of my friends talk it up, I'm a bit disappointed. I won't be seeking out any more of this.

3.16/5  rDev -25.8%

2011 batch, courtesy of ramnuts. Thanks for sending some of these my way.

Pours dark purple/red. No head at all on an aggressive pour. A few bubbles from the agitation at the edges, but I get those type of bubbles when I pour a glass of milk. This does not look "barely carbonated," it looks flat. Swirling it conjures up no carbonation either.

Aromas of ripe dark cherries, sherry, bourbon. Some tobacco and other dark fruits too. Old ale character of leather with some musty and earthy smells, but in a good, aged way. Reminiscent of port or after dinner liqueur.

Decadent on the tongue. Booze soaked sweet dark ripened cherries. Not as complex as the smell, the dark cherries almost overwhelm. Cherries are probably my favorite fruit, so I like it, but I would understand others finding it too much. The alcohol weaves into the beer, works really well. It's a boozy beer, but it's not hot, and there are no solvents. The barrel aging was done very well here.

Mouthfeel is flat and dead. The barrel thinned it out some, which helps. But it's missing something... something to lift it off the tongue. Something to move the flavors around and enhance the aroma. Something to balance the sweetness and intense barrel aged cherries.

I wish I could give an incomplete grade. I kept thinking "beer extract, just add carbonation" as I worked my way through the glass (which got to be a chore over the last few ounces). The smells, the flavors, the barrels, all clearly reflect a brewer at the top of his game. This would be one of the best beers in the world if Alan could figure out how to properly carbonate it.

But as it is now, it's a disappointment. Even more so when I think what it could be.

3.18/5  rDev -25.4%

Pours a black coffee color into a glass. First impression... no catbonation at all. So sad.
Smell- cherries and sweet caramel stand out. Hints of dark fruit and alcohol.

taste- very disappointed with this. No carbobation and its takes away from the flavors. This could have been sooo good. Its taste like a flat cherry cola. The cherries and caramel present throughout and it follows with dark fruit and more cherries in the end. A nice warm alcohol feel in the throat long after swallowing.

Overall - the lack of carbonation killed this and by far the best old ale/barleywine with a touch of sour is the decadence recently released.

3.26/5  rDev -23.5%

So i pour this and it's flat, no bubbles. i wonder if i am party to blame for opening it and then checking to see bottling date and seeing it's this years, and maybe it hasnt had time to bottle condition up? maybe? I wish HotD would start holding onto their bottles to give then a chance to carb up, if i was brewing, i wouldnt want to send out uncarbed bottles. Maybe it's my bad, maybe not.
The flavors are very interesting, the cherry does come through rather prominantly and has a large amount of sweetness behind it, and i think this is why the alcohol is hidden rather well, it is detectable only in some flavors and not so much in heat. The barrels come through with some oak too much not substantially so. There are alot of comparisons to a wine i could make with this actually, but i am not Tomme. Pretty Viscous and near syrupy, having that carbination would cut it down a bit. Basically, how much carbination matters will determine your enjoyment. Think of Brandy Angles Share and decide.

3.29/5  rDev -22.8%

Major gusher. Quickly diminishing thin foam, brown body. Poor appearance. Nose has some character to it, with a touch of smoke, black cherries and sherry notes. Very thin mouth feel. Notes of black cherry, smoke, and sweet ripe dark fruit. A solid ale, but was expecting a bit more here.

3.3/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours dark brown with a reddish hue. Absolute lack of carbonation or any head as is typical with some HOTD stuff.

A lot of the leather and tobacco that are prominent on the base beer come through on this. Heavy doses of bourbon and an almost port wine like smell. Maybe a bit of cherries, but the booze still smells hot on this one.

Not as hot as the nose would indicate. A little bit of sweet cherry leads off and after the initial sip I was afraid it would be way too sweet. While it is sweet, the bourbon then comes in to cut a little of the sweetness. Dark fruits, leather and tobacco as well.

Absolutely no carbonation, even by HOTD standards and the mouthfeel is a bit lighter than I'd expect from something like this. It's a shame because the flavors are there.

Good flavors, but complete lack of carbonation dooms this one. I like my old ales and stouts on the lowly carbonated side, but this is just ridiculous. It ruins a potentially great beer.

3.37/5  rDev -20.9%

Bottle. Pours black with absolutely no head just bubbles. Aroma of bourbon initially followed by chocolate and sweet cherries. Flavor is also initially bourbony and quite warming. Later, some sourness/tartness that seems to come from the cherries and woody notes make their appearances. The bourbon is a bit on the strong side and does overpower the other flavors of the beer. I wish that the cherry flavor was more prominent. An interesting experiment, but bourbon-barrel aging doesn't improve everything.
Aroma: 7/10
Appearance: 3/5
Flavor: 7/10
Palate: 3/5
Overall: 14/20

3.42/5  rDev -19.7%

2009 vintage received in a trade, from whom I can't remember right now...but thanks!

Pours dark brown, no head. Damn. Leaves some legs.

Smell is chocolate truffles, light bourbon. Cherries too but it's moreso just dark fruit in general; plums and raisins and such.

Taste reminds me of dark chocolate covered cherries. Still getting lots of raisins and plum. Like the smell, bourbon isn't strong. Pretty sweet and rich.

It's pretty much flat, barely carbonated at most, but it's not really a big deal for this beer. Booze is pretty well-hidden. I split it but finishing the 12oz wouldn't be a difficult task.

This was disappointing... It's tasty, but I was hoping for a nice leather/smoke profile like the regular Adam, this didn't have too much going on.

3.42/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.75

Received this as an extra in a trade. 2011 Vintage

A - A vigorous pour into my Duvel tulip results in not a single wisp of head..or carbonation really for that matter. Just nothing.

S - Aromas of black cherry, bourbon, vanilla, caramel, older dark fruits. Hard swirls actually bring up a weird vegative/rotten fruit thing.

T - Taste is pretty nice, good wood, bourbon, sweet caramel and malts. Nice vanilla and dark cherries. Like someone else said, sherry. Faint chocolate. Quite tasty

M - Sigh. As I feared this stuff is entirely and completely flat. Cmon...

O - Overall this was a pretty big let down. The nose is pretty good, the taste is awesome though the lack of any carbonation hinders the flavours. Was quite excited to try this beer and it was an enormous let down thanks to it being completely flat.

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

12 oz bottle from Bottle Trek. Pours murky brown/mahogany. Very small off white ring in the glass. Aroma is wood, booze, tart fruit and maybe a hint of cherries. Flavor is very full...sherry like. Too much booze in the flavor with some tartness and tobacco. I like the regular better.

3.54/5  rDev -16.9%

Bottle shared by sweemzander. 2001 release.

Dark plum purple. No head no lace. Looks like we got a flat one here folks. Super rich bourbon soaked black cherries. Wet barrel wood and hint of playdough. Flavors are bit more subdued. Modest bourbon, cherry, wood and a touch of playdough in the finish. Flat lifeless body. This could have been world class if not for the carn issue.

3.56/5  rDev -16.4%

Tonight I opened up a bottle of 2011 Cherry Adam that I received as an extra from Beerzebub (big thanks to him for including it!). It was great timing, since I had my first taste of caftw the night before. I was anxious to see how a fresh bottle stood up/compared with a 2009 (which I found very good). So I cooled it for a bit in the fridge and served at a little under cellar temp into an Orval goblet. After popping the crown off, I got absolutely no telltale hiss of carbonation present. I proceed to give it a rough pour into the goblet which resulted in an absolutely headless beer - there was just a small cluster of very tiny bubbles int he middle of the flat surface of the beer. This was a bit of a bummer - I know it's a bottle conditioned, but I was hoping for at least some visible sign of carbonation. It was a lovely dense dark color, with purplish hues around the rim. The surface was very reflective - almost like like an oil slick.

The aroma was great. Rich vanilla, figs, cherry, oak, some leather and a booze. The taste followed right along with the nose, with the cherry flavor more pronounced than in the smell. The alcohol isn't hidden but it is very well integrated with the overall flavor. There is a caramel creaminess present that I hadn't picked up in the smell.

The mouthfeel was a letdown, though. Almost like drinking an old growler of beer - the oiliness coated my tongue, but the utter lack of carbonation left my palate yearning for an offset to the syrupy feel.

Overall, it was a slight disappointment, but that disappointment is tempered by the experience of drinking a 2009 the night before. I have one more bottle of this, and I'm going to try to forget about it for at least a year in the hope that it might somehow acquire at least a modicum of carbonation.

3.56/5  rDev -16.4%

Enjoyed this last night during a HotD horizontal tasting

09 bottle

pours like a flat regular adam...deep brown almost still looking liquid

smells like figs mostly and sort of like a campfire (next to adam and adamFtw this is was most smokey)

The cherries have pretty much all faded on the taste but it was still quite enjoyable. Great vanilla notes with some figs, wood, tobacco and leather...slight alcohol heat.

mothfeel was pretty on par with where adam is but the carbonation on the other hand was pretty much non existent

Overall I am very glad I finally got to try this one but I dont think I would be actively seeking this out when I can just run to the store and get regular adam.

3.67/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.25

2011 bottle

Appearance. Pours a deep dark brown, almost black in the glass and completely still looking with no head ...here we go again.

Smell. Sweet woody bourbon, molasses and dark fruits (a little heavy on the cherry), some chocolate and vanilla as well.

Taste. Woody with dark fruits and juicy black cherries, some sherry and bourbon, vanilla. Quite tasty stuff actually.

Mouthfeel. Full body and completely flat.

Overall. Despite the great taste I can't stand a flat beer. I think at least 95% of all the flat beers I've drank have been HotD and I'm pretty fucking tired of this shit, especially for what these clowns charge for their beer. So done with this brewery besides what I have in the cellar already.

3.67/5  rDev -13.8%

2008, I think the only year made.

Ruby red and brown hues, and a cloudy ale body with minimal lazy carbonation. Foams up but doesn't have much retention.

Definitely smell those cherries and wood, and bourbon too. Big malts and alcohol aromas.

Kicking myself for opening this upon first sip...alcohol heat, high gravity esters, and general abrasiveness I am greeted with. It could use 3-5 years in the cellar. It's a beautiful beer, full of cherry wine, bourbon, alcohol, and fruity rich barleywine-style esters. A real fruitcake. Like I said it's still an untamed beast and will certainly benefit from a long mellowing-out period in the cellar. A cigar of a beer.

Thick and sticky, with low carbonation. A sipper. The heat makes the fruity esters stick out a bit too much.

Drinkability is average. It's a wonderful beer, but also a big challenge to put back. Cheers!

Cherry Adam From The Wood from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room