Cherry Adam From The Wood - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Cherry Adam From The WoodCherry Adam From The Wood

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Cherry Adam from the Wood is aged with locally grown black cherries in Bourbon and Sherry casks for 15 months.

First release - November 2008
Second release - November 2009
Third release - March 2011
Fourth release - November 2012

(Beer added by: SirChugsAlot on 11-16-2008)

3.55/5  rDev -18%

Bottle shared by sweemzander. 2001 release.

Dark plum purple. No head no lace. Looks like we got a flat one here folks. Super rich bourbon soaked black cherries. Wet barrel wood and hint of playdough. Flavors are bit more subdued. Modest bourbon, cherry, wood and a touch of playdough in the finish. Flat lifeless body. This could have been world class if not for the carn issue.

3.58/5  rDev -17.3%

Tonight I opened up a bottle of 2011 Cherry Adam that I received as an extra from Beerzebub (big thanks to him for including it!). It was great timing, since I had my first taste of caftw the night before. I was anxious to see how a fresh bottle stood up/compared with a 2009 (which I found very good). So I cooled it for a bit in the fridge and served at a little under cellar temp into an Orval goblet. After popping the crown off, I got absolutely no telltale hiss of carbonation present. I proceed to give it a rough pour into the goblet which resulted in an absolutely headless beer - there was just a small cluster of very tiny bubbles int he middle of the flat surface of the beer. This was a bit of a bummer - I know it's a bottle conditioned, but I was hoping for at least some visible sign of carbonation. It was a lovely dense dark color, with purplish hues around the rim. The surface was very reflective - almost like like an oil slick.

The aroma was great. Rich vanilla, figs, cherry, oak, some leather and a booze. The taste followed right along with the nose, with the cherry flavor more pronounced than in the smell. The alcohol isn't hidden but it is very well integrated with the overall flavor. There is a caramel creaminess present that I hadn't picked up in the smell.

The mouthfeel was a letdown, though. Almost like drinking an old growler of beer - the oiliness coated my tongue, but the utter lack of carbonation left my palate yearning for an offset to the syrupy feel.

Overall, it was a slight disappointment, but that disappointment is tempered by the experience of drinking a 2009 the night before. I have one more bottle of this, and I'm going to try to forget about it for at least a year in the hope that it might somehow acquire at least a modicum of carbonation.

3.58/5  rDev -17.3%

Enjoyed this last night during a HotD horizontal tasting

09 bottle

pours like a flat regular adam...deep brown almost still looking liquid

smells like figs mostly and sort of like a campfire (next to adam and adamFtw this is was most smokey)

The cherries have pretty much all faded on the taste but it was still quite enjoyable. Great vanilla notes with some figs, wood, tobacco and leather...slight alcohol heat.

mothfeel was pretty on par with where adam is but the carbonation on the other hand was pretty much non existent

Overall I am very glad I finally got to try this one but I dont think I would be actively seeking this out when I can just run to the store and get regular adam.

3.63/5  rDev -16.2%

2008, I think the only year made.

Ruby red and brown hues, and a cloudy ale body with minimal lazy carbonation. Foams up but doesn't have much retention.

Definitely smell those cherries and wood, and bourbon too. Big malts and alcohol aromas.

Kicking myself for opening this upon first sip...alcohol heat, high gravity esters, and general abrasiveness I am greeted with. It could use 3-5 years in the cellar. It's a beautiful beer, full of cherry wine, bourbon, alcohol, and fruity rich barleywine-style esters. A real fruitcake. Like I said it's still an untamed beast and will certainly benefit from a long mellowing-out period in the cellar. A cigar of a beer.

Thick and sticky, with low carbonation. A sipper. The heat makes the fruity esters stick out a bit too much.

Drinkability is average. It's a wonderful beer, but also a big challenge to put back. Cheers!

3.68/5  rDev -15%

Many thanks to vwcraig for giving me the hook-up on HOTD beers or I wouldn't have been able to try this. This gushed despite being properly chilled which is always a disappointment with expensive beers but I didn't lose much. It looks nice, dark black-brown, no head, red edges. It smells like wood, barrels, liquor, alcohol, very interesting. The flavor has a leather quality that I get from regular Adam, the slightest touch of tartness but I couldn't pinpoint it as a cherry flavor. This was pretty good but I'm not sure I'd pick this up again given the price and the fact that I just prefer Fred and Doggie Claws over Adam as a rule. I do have one bottle left to cellar so we'll see how that goes.

3.7/5  rDev -14.5%

Thanks for sharing this one Greg! 2009 bottle had on 2.18, from notes.

Pours nearly black with no head, some weirdly large-sized bubbles try to surface and form something but fail. epic fail.

Smells like.... well the cherries are there, surprise surprise. Some ripe apples too. Just a general dark fruitiness, really. Booze, chocolate and some syrupy sweetness. Taste is the same, with some charred malt and sweet flavors but a bit of a woodiness to it. Fruitiness is apparent throughout along with good complexity. Booze is there in the finish and somewhat lingers without any carbonation to carry it away. Though, this beer is properly carbonated for what it's trying to be. The low carbonation and combination of flavors and booze presence almost create a liqueur quality to the mouthfeel and experience of this beer. The flavors work very well together and I would like to revisit this down the road. I had drank this once before this review and remembered liking it more, so it's possible that my outlook will change again in the future. Thanks Greg!

3.71/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.25

2011 bottle

Appearance. Pours a deep dark brown, almost black in the glass and completely still looking with no head ...here we go again.

Smell. Sweet woody bourbon, molasses and dark fruits (a little heavy on the cherry), some chocolate and vanilla as well.

Taste. Woody with dark fruits and juicy black cherries, some sherry and bourbon, vanilla. Quite tasty stuff actually.

Mouthfeel. Full body and completely flat.

Overall. Despite the great taste I can't stand a flat beer. I think at least 95% of all the flat beers I've drank have been HotD and I'm pretty fucking tired of this shit, especially for what these clowns charge for their beer. So done with this brewery besides what I have in the cellar already.

3.73/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Deschutes snifter. 2009 vintage.

A - pours a deep brown with a touch of ruby/mahogany. No head what so ever. Like a number of HotD beers, an almost complete lack of carbonation.

S - Sweet and boozy. The aroma is quite potent. The bourbon and sherry blends with the leather and tobacco notes. The cherries leave a touch of sourness. I also detect some oxidation.

T - Luckily the taste is not as sweet as the aroma would suggest. The usual bourbon, tobacco and leather bottles. A very port like flavor. A touch of smoke on the background. The cherries do add a sweet yet sour component to the beer but really doesn't make anything pop.

M - slick, oily mouthfeel with almost no carbonation. Slight sting from the alcohol.

O - One of my least favorite limited releases from HotD. I love Adam from the Wood so I figured the addition of the cherries would make this beer even more fantastic. However, that is not the case. I feel the cherries really didn't bring a whole lot too the table. Three lack of carbonation doesn't help but I should be used to it with HotD beers by now. Also, this was in someone else's possession between 2009-2011. So I'm not exactly sure how it was stored prior to my possession.

3.73/5  rDev -13.9%

A - Black with a red hue. Not much head. Nada. Some but not much lace.

S - Cherries, bourbon, wood, some type of complex smell that makes them all together more than their parts. Best part of this beer, IMO.

T - Intense but not so much as smell. A bit watery in the front.

M - Medium to heavy, low carbonation, good coating, fair balance.

D - Hype was bigger than what I experienced.

3.74/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle into snifter. Thanks codewarrior! 2011 bottle.

A: Pours like a glass of red wine: deep maroon in color with no carbonation. No bubbles at all. Oh well.
S: Rich and sweet notes of black cherry juice, sherry, bourbon, damp wood, baking chocolate, maybe toffee and hints of leather.
T: Slick and greasy well integrated flavors of caramel syrup, bourbon barrel, sweet cherry, damp musty earth, chocolate and leather with hints of toffee, butterscotch, tobacco and leafy hops in the finish. Aftertaste is sweet with a hint of oak tannin and mild barrel spice.
M: Greasy thick and viscous mouth and body, heavy, buttery and greasy. Flat.
O: Really really good flavor. Flat in this case is ok, but a few bubbles would have been nice.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

Cherry Adam From The Wood from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room