Cherry Adam From The Wood - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Cherry Adam From The WoodCherry Adam From The Wood

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Beer added by: SirChugsAlot on 11-16-2008

Cherry Adam from the Wood is aged with locally grown black cherries in Bourbon and Sherry casks for 15 months.

First release - November 2008
Second release - November 2009
Third release - March 2011
Fourth release - November 2012
Ratings: 760 | Reviews: 264
4.62/5  rDev +6.7%

12oz bottle, 2009 batch poured into stemmed glass at Brouwer's, reviewed on 4/12/11

A: Pours a flat, extremely dark red-purple color. No head or any lacing left around glass. Very intriguing appearance despite the minimal carbonation.

S: So much going on here. A robust smell fills my nose, complete with lots of oak and vanilla from the bourbon barrels with cherries, lots of dark fruit and some alcohol. So complex yet smooth, I love it.

T: Lots of ripe cherries and bourbony vanilla. The dark fruit picked up in the aroma comes through in the taste even better. Juicy figs, dates and raisins come to mind. This beer is extremely complex and full of flavor, fantastic. The flavors are so packed into this beer that all you need is a tiny sip to make your taste buds go haywire.

M: Beyond the flat appearance there is a slight tingle from the little bit of carbonation that is there. I feel the same way about the carbonation level here that I do with Adam, less is more. The light tingle on my tongue is really nice yet the thick almost syrupy flavors can coat my mouth without any distraction from excessive bubbles. Full bodied, really smooth with a nice warming feeling in my stomach from the alcohol.

O: As far as sipping beers go, this is near the top. So many complex flavors that blend together magically. This is the perfect desert beer, every little sip is packed with so much flavor. I could spend all day drinking this and discover something new with every sip. A truly masterfully crafted beer. Very unique with no other beer tasting remotely like this. Amazing job here Alan, keep up the great work!

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to Greg (wethorseblanket) for sharing this bottle

A - Deep mahogany w/ ruby hues. barely any head, minimal lacing.

S - Chocolate and cherry w/ an oaky touch mixed in

T - Very similar to the smell. Little bit of a hot aftertaste, and oak and cherries linger on the palate.

M - Heavy body w/ very low carbonation.

D - Very good. I could drink more of it.

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%

Big thanks to Bespin15

Poured from 12oz bottle into Delirium Tremens snifter. Pours a dark murky opaque brown with purplish red hue with little head. Smell is a whiff of red wine similar to syrah with spicy red fruits mixed with darkfruits and hint of spice from the oak. Taste is still sweetness of heavy malt and carmel chocolate coffee, followed by the cherry's sweet semi tart flavor intermixed with vanilla oak and portish sherry flavors. Alcohol while well hidden is still apparent in a port like presences. I like the low carbonation on the beer at times but believe that a slighty increased CO2 level would of increased both mouthfeel and drinkability. However this is minor to how stellar this beer is and I think that it should age nicely.

3.18/5  rDev -26.6%

Pours a black coffee color into a glass. First impression... no catbonation at all. So sad.
Smell- cherries and sweet caramel stand out. Hints of dark fruit and alcohol.

taste- very disappointed with this. No carbobation and its takes away from the flavors. This could have been sooo good. Its taste like a flat cherry cola. The cherries and caramel present throughout and it follows with dark fruit and more cherries in the end. A nice warm alcohol feel in the throat long after swallowing.

Overall - the lack of carbonation killed this and by far the best old ale/barleywine with a touch of sour is the decadence recently released.

4.41/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

At the taproom for the bottle release, as delicious as ever!

4.34/5  rDev +0.2%

2009 bottle. Pours nearly black with almost no head, or at least none that lasts more than a fleeting few seconds. The beer is a very pretty color though, in a snifter a reddish brown color shows through but all together it's a pretty dark beer. The aroma is cherry and tobacco with some port, some light roastiness, and some pleasant bourbon-y booze. The flavor is moderately sweet with a nice subtle smoke noticeable throughout along with a nice bit of wood and fruity cherry. There is some maple syrup flavor and a nice warming booziness. A very different, well put together, all together unique and decadent beer.

3.16/5  rDev -27%

2011 batch, courtesy of ramnuts. Thanks for sending some of these my way.

Pours dark purple/red. No head at all on an aggressive pour. A few bubbles from the agitation at the edges, but I get those type of bubbles when I pour a glass of milk. This does not look "barely carbonated," it looks flat. Swirling it conjures up no carbonation either.

Aromas of ripe dark cherries, sherry, bourbon. Some tobacco and other dark fruits too. Old ale character of leather with some musty and earthy smells, but in a good, aged way. Reminiscent of port or after dinner liqueur.

Decadent on the tongue. Booze soaked sweet dark ripened cherries. Not as complex as the smell, the dark cherries almost overwhelm. Cherries are probably my favorite fruit, so I like it, but I would understand others finding it too much. The alcohol weaves into the beer, works really well. It's a boozy beer, but it's not hot, and there are no solvents. The barrel aging was done very well here.

Mouthfeel is flat and dead. The barrel thinned it out some, which helps. But it's missing something... something to lift it off the tongue. Something to move the flavors around and enhance the aroma. Something to balance the sweetness and intense barrel aged cherries.

I wish I could give an incomplete grade. I kept thinking "beer extract, just add carbonation" as I worked my way through the glass (which got to be a chore over the last few ounces). The smells, the flavors, the barrels, all clearly reflect a brewer at the top of his game. This would be one of the best beers in the world if Alan could figure out how to properly carbonate it.

But as it is now, it's a disappointment. Even more so when I think what it could be.

4.72/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This exceeded my expectations. 2012 bottle

A: nearly black with tan head

S: a lot going on - cherries, plums, dried fruit, grapes. Slight smoke and rich malts

T: great balance between the fruits above and a smoky backdrop. Charred wood, peat. Some tannin and oak. Sherry-like in many ways. Very warming but no alcohol burn or taste.

M: fully mouth coating creaminess. Sticky but not too sweet

4.07/5  rDev -6%

Thanks Bgramer for this extra...

A - Pours pitch black with very little or no head. Minimal carbonation bubbles around edge of glass.

S - Bourbon, black licorice, molasses, dark brown sugar.

T - Starts out with a smooth bourbon flavor followed by a faint hint of cherries, molasses and brown sugar. Very smooth finish.

M - Surprisingly thin for a 10% abv beer. Seems to be lacking in carbonation.

O - Glad I got a chance to try this one. I had pretty high expectations that may have been let down a bit although this is a very good beer. The cherries seem to keep this beer from being overly sweet and cloying. Could use a bit more carbonation as this is borderline flat.

3.7/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Deschutes snifter. 2009 vintage.

A - pours a deep brown with a touch of ruby/mahogany. No head what so ever. Like a number of HotD beers, an almost complete lack of carbonation.

S - Sweet and boozy. The aroma is quite potent. The bourbon and sherry blends with the leather and tobacco notes. The cherries leave a touch of sourness. I also detect some oxidation.

T - Luckily the taste is not as sweet as the aroma would suggest. The usual bourbon, tobacco and leather bottles. A very port like flavor. A touch of smoke on the background. The cherries do add a sweet yet sour component to the beer but really doesn't make anything pop.

M - slick, oily mouthfeel with almost no carbonation. Slight sting from the alcohol.

O - One of my least favorite limited releases from HotD. I love Adam from the Wood so I figured the addition of the cherries would make this beer even more fantastic. However, that is not the case. I feel the cherries really didn't bring a whole lot too the table. Three lack of carbonation doesn't help but I should be used to it with HotD beers by now. Also, this was in someone else's possession between 2009-2011. So I'm not exactly sure how it was stored prior to my possession.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Received as an "extra" in a trade with oregone; knocked off a big time want for me, so thanks.

2011 vintage poured into my New Belgium globe. Striking color profile with dark cherry/plum edges and an otherwise black body. Not even a crying attempt at a head formation, and though it is well known for this beer, makes me dock it just a bit.

Smell is dominated by bourbon and sherry. I don't get much fruit in the nose when I inhale.

Taste is much less spirit-forward and instead the alcohol takes the shape of a sweet port on the back end. The front is raisins, sweet cherries (not overly so), and just a little cough syrupy.

Again the lack of carbonation affects the mouthfeel as well. A touch syrupy with no appreciable bubbling on the tongue. It works with this flavor profile but I would prefer just a bit of bubbles; it's beer still for crying out loud.

Overall a very interesting take with some really strong features; I would prefer a touch of carbonation but I enjoyed it very much nonetheless.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into my Bruery tulip. Thanks, Greg.

It pours almost still, a dark, ruby-tinged brown. Darker than I expected, though I'm not sure what I was expecting with this... A very small light tan cap forms but instantly fizzles away, leaving only the slightest of collars around the lip of the liquid. Small amount of spotty lacing. It's a beautiful color, and would be a perfect 5 if there was any head to speak of.

Smell is just a bit underwhelming. It's just not as in my face as I expected. Black cherries are evident, as are both the bourbon and sherry barrels. Smells a bit sweet. I expected more complexity and more boldness from this, but it's not bad.

Taste is really nice. Dark cherry, bourbon, sherry, sweet malt, English toffee, leather, maybe a hint of dark fruit, and a tiny bit of alcoholic heat. It never ends, either... it's been minutes since my last sip and I can still taste it. Nice.

Mouthfeel is excellent. Thick, chewy, slick, with a long, lasting finish. Just awesome.

Drinkability is great on this one. My glass is going away way too quickly. I could drink loads of this stuff.

Very nice beer from HOTD.

***2011 Version***

Hot damn! 2011 vintage poured into my Bruery tulip.

Appearance: Thick, still pour. Absolutely no bubbles. It appears to be a deep, dark brown, but the edges are most decidedly purplish. Odd, but pretty decent.

Smell: Whoa. Much better than the prior bottle I had. Cherries, leather, a waft of smoke, sweet molasses, oak, booze, cocoa, damn there's a lot of stuff going on here.

Taste: Amazing. Just incredible. Deeper, darker, with more dark cherries and a stronger oak component. The normal smokiness of Adam is but an undercurrent in this beer, which is welcome.

Mouthfeel: Gotta dock it a little bit here. It's nice, it's viscous and syrupy, but I need some carbonation to lighten the load a little bit. It's but a minor concern though - if any beer can be served still, it's this one.

Overall: Awesome beer. Really really great. Highly recommended.

4.39/5  rDev +1.4%

Review 100, close enough to my birthday review. Thanks to Suzygreenburg for this.

Pours black with minimal head and purple highlights.

Smell: Cherry, Oak, Chocolate, Smoke, and Bourbon. Some of the less pleasant barrel smells are there as well.

Taste: Strong Cherry and Bourbon right out of the gate balanced by some sweetness. Some Vanilla and Chocolate. Extremely smooth and drinkable for a 10% barrel aged offering.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours: Deep and dark black, thick and sludgy with no head, even when poured straight into itself.

Nose: Bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, cherries, smoke, caramel, leather, and seductive oak. The nose was so good that I may never clean the glass!

Taste: A complex overload of dark fruits, bourbon soaked cherries, oak, vanilla, dark chocolate, smoke, leather, and charred oak.

Mouthfeel: Very thick, but the low carbonation gets this a 4.5 instead of a 5. I still love this beer with low carbonation. Amazing offering straight from Alan at the brewery...what a great guy.

Overall: You must seek this out. It's amazing and I'm glad I live only 2.5 hours away!

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Special thanks to JohnGalt1 for this incredible brew as part of a truly outstanding trade! Vintage 2011.

Pours a color that looks like black cherry puree. Essentially no carbonation to this one. Just a little murky- almost has an eerie color to it in all honesty.

Nose is superb. WOW. Such delicate notes hidden beneath the main cherry smell. Hints of vanilla, toffee, bourbon, and oak aging. The cherry really reminded me of black cherry ice cream from when I was a kid.

Then came the flavor- where to begin. First off, this was served at about 45-50 degrees, which is the way to go. Second, served in a glass with some room for the flavors to show up- also the way to go. Black cherry with touches of oak and bourbon. Such a warming flavor. I was thinking I would be disappointed without the carbonation, but that had to be done on purpose because it let the flavors of the cherry shine through.

Seldom does a brew catch my attention like this. I want more, but we will see how that goes:)

Cheers!

1.85/5  rDev -57.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

2009 Bottling
12oz Bottle poured into my Hair of the Dog Tulip

A: This beer poured a very dark redish-brown. Red hues are visible on the edges. No head what so ever, AT ALL.

S: Small elements of the original Adam are present, you get small aromas of dark fruits such as plums, figs and dates. What really dominates the nose is a mixture of bourbon and cherries - go figure. Small amount of vanilla coming through.

T: Here comes the disappointment. I don't know if I'm just not understanding what is trying to come out of the beer, but it taste like cherry nyquil that some one dumped a little bit of cheap bourbon in. It is very malty and some what disgusting to a point if i don't know if i want to finish the glass. The cherries and bourbon seem to be fighting each other in my mouth competing on who is the ultimate flavor.

M: Bad, and i mean REALLY BAD. While it is medium bodied - almost full bodied like a big RIS, it is completely FLAT. Did Lost Abbey make this beer? I understand that certain beers should have lower amounts of carbonation then others but this is just plain bad. This beer could also use some more time (if you even wanted to wait/hoped it got better). It is pretty dang hot. Has not calmed down one bit. (While i havn't tried it fresh, with how hot it is now, i could only imagine how hot is was fresh.)

D: At its current rate, pretty dang bad. It honestly in my opinion tasted like Nyquil, maybe even worse (ouch i know). Also the alcohol was way to hot to even really bare through the rest of the bottle. Maybe with some more age this beer will prove, but only time will tell. (on a side note, after finishing the bottle, I have concluded Nyquil does taste better.)

Final Thought: I don't know if i just got a bad bottle or what, but right now this beer was a HUGE disappointment. Was pretty excited to taste until i took the first sip and it was all down hill from there. I started drinking the beer a little to cold, but while i drank it slowly and let it warm up to around 50-55 F, i found myself giving it lower and lower scores. Man, and adam was just so good! Probably will have to revisit this with another bottle just to make sure i didn't get a bad egg. But as it stands, this sucked.

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

The time has finally come. The HOTD Dock sale has come and past. Cherry Adam of the wood has arrived!! I've been waiting for this one...

Pours out an amazing black with a thin mocha colored head that has since faded away. Slight lacing around the edges. There isn't any light that shines through when held up to the light.

The aroma from this seems to me like sweet dates or figs with a "hint" of chocolate

The taste of this one just BAM! hits you. raisins and figs and a sweet after taste which i think is from the cherries and a touch of alcohol. A complex flavor that hits you quick.

The carbonation is light and leads for a medium body with a lingering aftertaste that makes you want more. It warms the chest and the belly.

I enjoyed sipping on this one for quite some time and i look forward to the next one. I'll probably keep a few in the cellar for a long time from now, maybe the next HOTD release party.

2.83/5  rDev -34.6%

3oz pour from bottle into a snifter.
A- Dark brown with purple hues, no head.
S- Bourbon, sweet, boozy.
T- Vicks cough syrup, not my thing
M- Thick, not carbonated
O- Just not my thing, wouldn't drink again. I'm sure its fine if you are into cherries, but I don't care for it.

4.37/5  rDev +0.9%

2009 12 oz bottle poured into a Dogfish Head snifter. Big thanks to Plenum for this one.

The pour is a murky, dark, completely opaque brown - light doesn't even shine through around the edges of the glass. Practically no carbonation, just a small ring of bubbles around the sides of the glass.

Primary aromas are alcohol, tart cherries, a bit of acid, and some wood. Somehow the smells combine to give me the impression of dill pickles, which, strangely enough, I like. Go figure.

First impression - hot yet delicious. The alcohol and wood have a strong presence, but the residual malt and cherry sugar and tartness counterbalance this well. There's some dark chocolate here too, and as the beer warms it takes on an uncanny resemblance to a spicy port. I was expecting this to be somewhat of a malt bomb, but it's actually very nice.

The mouthfeel here is awesome. Medium-full body, very chewy, even tannic almost. The lack of carbonation doesn't hurt the mouthfeel at all - with the dessert wine characteristics it might even help a little.

Overall, a great beer. A slow sipper for sure, but incredibly quaffable. I wish I had more of this.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Look - DARK DARK brown with almost zero carbonation or foam. Like deep woody brown prune juice.
Smell - woody and sour.
Feel - soft mouthfeel like all of the HoTD beers. I am guessing at the brewhouse they use a nitrous mixture.
Taste - Mysteriously tart and smokey. A subtle but strong sourness followed by robust aged wood flavors. Incredibly well balanced and intriguing like no beer I've ever had before.

4.37/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

25th review! I felt that, for what I consider to be, a small landmark review, I needed to review a landmark type brew.

Thanks once again goes out to PDXHops for helping me aquire this beer via my first BA trade. 12 oz. bottle from the 2008 release...and so it begins!

An aggressive pour into an oversized wine glass provides a minimal dirty red head. No real foam to be seen, mostly bubbles, with a slight ring of cherry colored goodness around the rim. The brew poured a deep brown color with lots of ruby highlights. Quite pretty, given the obvious lack of carbonation.

WOWSERS!! You're instantly hit with a lot of oak and smoke. There's some hints of musty cherries and tobacco, but as it warms bittersweet chocolates, raisins, and bourbon are easily detected. Leather is also present...lots of aroma in the glass. I recommend letting it warm to get the full effect.

The taste is very complex. Some buttery oak comes to the forefront but is immediately replaced by smokey chocolates and cherries. Very bourbonesque in the flavors. The cherries weren't as tart as expected, but I think there are better served here in the finish. Tiny hits of leather and tobacco can be tasted if you have the pallete for it...

I think the only downfall is the lack of carbonation. Completely unexpected...but it somehow doesn't ruin the beer at all. It makes it a bit watery, but it keeps the alcohol to a minimum.

Are you kidding me? It's really 10% abv? It sure as hell doesn't drink like a 10% old ale. It goes down as smooth as can be, but be warned. This beer will put you on your ass in no time.

HotD could probably get away with calling this by another name. I didn't detect the slightest hint of Adam in here at all. At times the Cherry Adam reminds me of a chocolate covered cherry...a smooth drinking bourbon...a fine red wine, with it's drying finish. Basically this beer is so dynamic that it can be sipped for an hour and as each 15 minutes passes it morphs into something completely different. I couldn't imagine a better beer to review as my 25th beer, this one is that good. It's not quite sublime, but it's damn close.

Note-I am putting alot of faith in the aging process of this beer, because I plan on sitting on a couple of them for a while.

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 16oz snifter. Chilled. 2011. Had this only a few weeks after release.

A: dark, black, purple edges. zero carbonation but I was expecting this. when swirled, it looks a little thicker than water.

S: HUGE cherry smell as well as a deep and malty barleywine smell. chocolate, cocoa, toffee, bourbon, vanilla.

T: Just an overwhelming cherry flavor from start, to the mid, and LONG cherry finish. The only thing I have to compare this to is NG cherry stout(which was terrible btw) and this is quite good in comparison. alcoholic, vanilla, breakfast cereal, oak, hazelnut.

M: Amazing feel. Really fun and smooth. full bodied and just amazing.

O: A great experience but I believe this will get a LOT better when it has 2 years on it.

3.5/5  rDev -19.2%

12 oz bottle from Bottle Trek. Pours murky brown/mahogany. Very small off white ring in the glass. Aroma is wood, booze, tart fruit and maybe a hint of cherries. Flavor is very full...sherry like. Too much booze in the flavor with some tartness and tobacco. I like the regular better.

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

2012 Vintage.

Appearance: Black as night with a sheen of red around the rim. Half a finger of tan head that dissipated almost immediately. Nice alcohol legs and tons of lacing.

Smell: bourbon, brown sugar, brandy, cherry, cranberry, rich tart but sweet fruit.

Taste: tip of the tongue is bourbon soaked cherries drizzled with chocolate. Little bit of heat from the alcohol adds depth rather than detracting. Middle of the tongue is fruity desert white wine, Oaky finish from the barrels. Really fresh bourbon throughout.

Mouthfeel: On the full side of medium. Not unduly carbonated.

Overall: Would've liked some more complexity on the nose. However. the taste is awesome and highlights the bourbon and the cherry flawlessly.

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Silky smooth, thin, uncarbed, dark fruits, woody and slight licorice taste.

Cherry Adam From The Wood from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room