Cherry Adam From The Wood - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Cherry Adam From The WoodCherry Adam From The Wood

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Cherry Adam from the Wood is aged with locally grown black cherries in Bourbon and Sherry casks for 15 months.

First release - November 2008
Second release - November 2009
Third release - March 2011
Fourth release - November 2012

(Beer added by: SirChugsAlot on 11-16-2008)

digita7693, Nov 09, 2012

BillHilly, Nov 07, 2012

kirkse, Oct 29, 2012

enelson, Oct 25, 2012
3.85/5  rDev -11.1%

Cherry Adam from the Wood 2011

This beer has been a long time want for me. Glad I was able to finally try it.

Adam pours a VERY dark brown/black that shows ruby edges in the light. Absolutely no carbonation. Still as water. Aromas of sugary malt, oak, figs, raisins, black cherry, alcohol. Whoa! Fantastic and complex nose here.

The flavors are intricate and excellent. Brown sugar, bourbon, slightly sweet cherries, alcohol, plums, raisins, figs, oak, sweet red wine (a note form the cherries and oak I suppose). Big, bold flavors all over the place. Ethanol is present from start to finish but provides the only relief from an insanely sweet beer. The flavors are explosive. For something this complex, it's easy to pick out seperate flavors.

It's all been roses to this point. Let's talk about mouthfeel. This is one of the oiliest beers I've ever come across. Medium to full bodied and oily as hell on the tongue. Clings to your mouth, slick on the tongue. The fact that this beer is entirely flat really hurts the overall drinking experience. I'm not asking for a luxurious head here but some bubbles to lighten the mouthfeel and break up the overpowering sweetness would certainly be appreciated.

Cherry Adam is an excellent beer that I'd happily drink 5 oz of at any point. I'll never turn this one down.

Brew33, Oct 25, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

A - Pours a dark black with some red and purple mixed in and a thin bubbly layer of purplish head. The head fades very quickly leaving behind just a touch of lace.

S - Aroma is a mix of sweet caramelized malts, vanilla, oak, bourbon, black cherries, dark fruit, a hint of chocolate, and some booze.

T - Starts off with a mix of black cherries with some caramelized malts, vanilla, and other dark fruits. Through the middle, the oak and Bourbon come through with some more caramelized and residual sugars and a touch of chocolate. The finish is a mix of black cherries, vanilla, oak, Bourbon, caramelized sugars, a bit of brown sugar and other dark fruits, and some booze.

M - Full bodied with mild carbonation. Feels smooth and a bit syrupy with a warming and sweet finish.

D - Very drinkable. The barrel aging and the cherries really add some great complexity and depth to the beer.

ngeunit1, Oct 21, 2012

t0rin0, Oct 10, 2012

AApparel, Sep 24, 2012

TonyTalon, Sep 22, 2012
4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

Re-review based on the 2011 vintage. A big thanks to ramnuts for this.

I've had this several times, but over the past 3-4 months, this beer has really started to shine. The tobacco is in balance with a great cherry sweetness, sherry and leather are suggestive of oxidation, and the bourbon barrels leave a great, lingering caramel residue.

The ONLY thing that this beer suffers from is somewhat thin mouthfeel (tending toward watery in the finish). But its carbonation, while low, is just perfect. The flavors and aromas are superlative. I think 2011 is hitting its peak.

I also want to add that I think the 2009 vintage has fallen off and continues to do so. I opened a magnum a few months ago and, while I enjoyed it, I found that the flavors were no longer as sharp or balanced as they once were. While Adam can age very well, I feel that this treatment, and Matt, do not have the same longevity (2 years at the outside).

~~~

Re-review of the 2009 vintage. I finally had a couple of bottles in a row that were less than outright amazing. This beer has been knocked off its perfect 5.0 pedestal, though it was perched there for a long time.

I had this next to Firestone 14 and Melange No. 3.

The main things that changed are the smell and taste. The beer is on the sweet sipper side of things now; less emphasis on tobacco, smoke, and leather. More emphasis on cherry, dark fruits (raisins), bourbon. It's oaky in the mid-taste, but there isn't much astringency in the finish. It's not bad, but that hearty balance I loved for over a year has tipped slightly toward a side that is less impressive.

I am confident that when it ages, it will improve. Adam tends to become more tobacco- and leather-oriented with age, and if those qualities are strengthened in this beer, it will recapture the balance that I loved before. I'm interested in seeing where the beer goes.

~~~

Original comments:

Out of 4 bottles, I've only had 1 bottle that was flat (not low carbonation -- flat). And I still enjoyed that enough to give it a 4.95. I am confident in giving this a perfect 5.0. I can't think of many other beers that I enjoy more and would rather have in my collection. Thanks to largadeer for #4 (though I guess I didn't really give him a choice).

A huge thanks to ramnuts for making so many bottles of this possible. You are way too generous, Frank.

A: Very dark, nearly opaque. Pours a murky, ruddy cola color with translucent honey edges. A short-lived tan cap is generated, but it dies almost instantly, leaving a scattered, broken film on the brew with a thin collar. Expected for an old ale of this ABV.

S: Sweet Jesus. So delicious. Cherry, oak. Tobacco, leather, smoke, chocolate. Plums and a general dark fruit character. Bourbon.

T: An amazingly balanced delivery of the aromas I picked up. Cherry is stronger than last year's, with a noticeable tartness that defines an undercurrent of flavor. Smoke is quite noticeable throughout, too; along with tobacco and leather, some of the best defining flavors of the base Adam. Bourbon and tannins are very light in the taste. There's a sweet, port-like grape/raisin and plum component that is especially strong near the end, where smoke bursts out again. The finish is dry.

M: It has low carbonation; it forms softly and slowly after the pour, and retains poorly. But it's there, and it adds just a touch of prickle to the semi-dry, supple body. It works very well with the tobacco flavors near the finish. There's a light, pleasant warmth, but pretty much no heat.

D: I have a hard time seeing how this beer can get any better. It's ready to drink now, and it's an outstanding experience. I had no trouble finishing a full 12oz bottle, and the price is a steal (to me). This might be my favorite beer.

Arbitrator, Sep 14, 2012

heddar33, Sep 09, 2012
4.48/5  rDev +3.5%

I have been sitting on this beer for quite some time and have recently gotten to the “why not open up ‘special’ stuff in the cellar” point. A big thanks to Greg (googzoid10) for this beer.

2011 Vintage.

Appearance – Pours completely flat into a CBS snifter with a few bubbles due to my pouring it as hard as I could (knowing it was perhaps without carbonation). Dark brown color, though there is a nice deep ruby red hue around the edges (and when I was pouring it).

Smell – Wow. The aroma is intoxicating. Dark fruits up front, most prevalent ripe dark cherries. Lots of oak, vanilla, brown sugar, milk chocolate, and booze. As it finishes the other dark fruits such as plums and raisins, make their appearance. An overall hint of tartness and oakiness throughout the sip.

Taste – A mixture of bourbon and tart yet sweet cherries up front. This fades to decadent chocolate flavors mixed with oak and creamy vanilla.

Mouthfeel – Despite being void of carbonation, a wonderful mouthfeel. Extremely syrupy, chewy, and sticky.

Overall – Oh how I wish this had at least just a *hint* of carbonation. That would make this beer almost perfect for me. A nice alcohol warmth, flawlessly integrated flavors (I can’t get over the cherry, vanilla, and oak flavors – they are so REAL and balanced together), and a nice thick mouthfeel. This is a perfect beer tonight on this 60’s almost fall night on the porch. Extremely impressed.

SpdKilz, Sep 08, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

fehrminator, Aug 25, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -17.3%

Enjoyed this last night during a HotD horizontal tasting

09 bottle

pours like a flat regular adam...deep brown almost still looking liquid

smells like figs mostly and sort of like a campfire (next to adam and adamFtw this is was most smokey)

The cherries have pretty much all faded on the taste but it was still quite enjoyable. Great vanilla notes with some figs, wood, tobacco and leather...slight alcohol heat.

mothfeel was pretty on par with where adam is but the carbonation on the other hand was pretty much non existent

Overall I am very glad I finally got to try this one but I dont think I would be actively seeking this out when I can just run to the store and get regular adam.

joefuzz, Aug 25, 2012

mdillon86, Aug 23, 2012

lern, Aug 22, 2012
2.85/5  rDev -34.2%

Appearance: Pours out a very dark brown body (though some reddish hints at the far edges) with a few bubbles that never quite form a head.

Smell: Earthy-scented, oxidized, and boozy are my main impressions joined by empty, lacking notes of spiced, brown sugar mixed cherries and soiled, more-than-musty wood.

Taste: Starts sweet, then traipses off towards a muddied earthiness, a dash of soy atop crushed sourish, tangy black cherries, and some solvent alcoholic heat. Oxidized malts. Rank wood. Modest phenolic smokiness. Near-flat, sweet, cherryish finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Very little carbonation present.

Overall: I'm sorely disappointed here. I was really expecting quite a bit more, instead, it's muddled, lacking, and rather non-cohesive.

ChainGangGuy, Aug 12, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

2011 bottle, moderately cooled, in a Bruery glass.

Smells like black cherry and old barrels in perfect harmony, complex and good. Delicious, good intensity, full bodied, big malt and fruit, almost syrupy but not overly sweet, well balanced by dark caramel and some fruit juice type tartness. Complex, earthy and savory. Long finish. Nice!

Beerzebub, Aug 03, 2012

CheapBeerBuzz, Jul 24, 2012
3.33/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours dark brown with a reddish hue. Absolute lack of carbonation or any head as is typical with some HOTD stuff.

A lot of the leather and tobacco that are prominent on the base beer come through on this. Heavy doses of bourbon and an almost port wine like smell. Maybe a bit of cherries, but the booze still smells hot on this one.

Not as hot as the nose would indicate. A little bit of sweet cherry leads off and after the initial sip I was afraid it would be way too sweet. While it is sweet, the bourbon then comes in to cut a little of the sweetness. Dark fruits, leather and tobacco as well.

Absolutely no carbonation, even by HOTD standards and the mouthfeel is a bit lighter than I'd expect from something like this. It's a shame because the flavors are there.

Good flavors, but complete lack of carbonation dooms this one. I like my old ales and stouts on the lowly carbonated side, but this is just ridiculous. It ruins a potentially great beer.

jmarsh123, Jul 23, 2012

hoppymcgee, Jul 19, 2012

aasher, Jul 15, 2012

Zenk, Jul 11, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -19.2%

3rdto1st, Jul 06, 2012
3.73/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Deschutes snifter. 2009 vintage.

A - pours a deep brown with a touch of ruby/mahogany. No head what so ever. Like a number of HotD beers, an almost complete lack of carbonation.

S - Sweet and boozy. The aroma is quite potent. The bourbon and sherry blends with the leather and tobacco notes. The cherries leave a touch of sourness. I also detect some oxidation.

T - Luckily the taste is not as sweet as the aroma would suggest. The usual bourbon, tobacco and leather bottles. A very port like flavor. A touch of smoke on the background. The cherries do add a sweet yet sour component to the beer but really doesn't make anything pop.

M - slick, oily mouthfeel with almost no carbonation. Slight sting from the alcohol.

O - One of my least favorite limited releases from HotD. I love Adam from the Wood so I figured the addition of the cherries would make this beer even more fantastic. However, that is not the case. I feel the cherries really didn't bring a whole lot too the table. Three lack of carbonation doesn't help but I should be used to it with HotD beers by now. Also, this was in someone else's possession between 2009-2011. So I'm not exactly sure how it was stored prior to my possession.

Mahlik, Jul 04, 2012
Cherry Adam From The Wood from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room