Cherry Adam From The Wood - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Cherry Adam From The WoodCherry Adam From The Wood

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Cherry Adam from the Wood is aged with locally grown black cherries in Bourbon and Sherry casks for 15 months.

First release - November 2008
Second release - November 2009
Third release - March 2011
Fourth release - November 2012

(Beer added by: SirChugsAlot on 11-16-2008)

TonyTalon, Sep 22, 2012
4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

Re-review based on the 2011 vintage. A big thanks to ramnuts for this.

I've had this several times, but over the past 3-4 months, this beer has really started to shine. The tobacco is in balance with a great cherry sweetness, sherry and leather are suggestive of oxidation, and the bourbon barrels leave a great, lingering caramel residue.

The ONLY thing that this beer suffers from is somewhat thin mouthfeel (tending toward watery in the finish). But its carbonation, while low, is just perfect. The flavors and aromas are superlative. I think 2011 is hitting its peak.

I also want to add that I think the 2009 vintage has fallen off and continues to do so. I opened a magnum a few months ago and, while I enjoyed it, I found that the flavors were no longer as sharp or balanced as they once were. While Adam can age very well, I feel that this treatment, and Matt, do not have the same longevity (2 years at the outside).

~~~

Re-review of the 2009 vintage. I finally had a couple of bottles in a row that were less than outright amazing. This beer has been knocked off its perfect 5.0 pedestal, though it was perched there for a long time.

I had this next to Firestone 14 and Melange No. 3.

The main things that changed are the smell and taste. The beer is on the sweet sipper side of things now; less emphasis on tobacco, smoke, and leather. More emphasis on cherry, dark fruits (raisins), bourbon. It's oaky in the mid-taste, but there isn't much astringency in the finish. It's not bad, but that hearty balance I loved for over a year has tipped slightly toward a side that is less impressive.

I am confident that when it ages, it will improve. Adam tends to become more tobacco- and leather-oriented with age, and if those qualities are strengthened in this beer, it will recapture the balance that I loved before. I'm interested in seeing where the beer goes.

~~~

Original comments:

Out of 4 bottles, I've only had 1 bottle that was flat (not low carbonation -- flat). And I still enjoyed that enough to give it a 4.95. I am confident in giving this a perfect 5.0. I can't think of many other beers that I enjoy more and would rather have in my collection. Thanks to largadeer for #4 (though I guess I didn't really give him a choice).

A huge thanks to ramnuts for making so many bottles of this possible. You are way too generous, Frank.

A: Very dark, nearly opaque. Pours a murky, ruddy cola color with translucent honey edges. A short-lived tan cap is generated, but it dies almost instantly, leaving a scattered, broken film on the brew with a thin collar. Expected for an old ale of this ABV.

S: Sweet Jesus. So delicious. Cherry, oak. Tobacco, leather, smoke, chocolate. Plums and a general dark fruit character. Bourbon.

T: An amazingly balanced delivery of the aromas I picked up. Cherry is stronger than last year's, with a noticeable tartness that defines an undercurrent of flavor. Smoke is quite noticeable throughout, too; along with tobacco and leather, some of the best defining flavors of the base Adam. Bourbon and tannins are very light in the taste. There's a sweet, port-like grape/raisin and plum component that is especially strong near the end, where smoke bursts out again. The finish is dry.

M: It has low carbonation; it forms softly and slowly after the pour, and retains poorly. But it's there, and it adds just a touch of prickle to the semi-dry, supple body. It works very well with the tobacco flavors near the finish. There's a light, pleasant warmth, but pretty much no heat.

D: I have a hard time seeing how this beer can get any better. It's ready to drink now, and it's an outstanding experience. I had no trouble finishing a full 12oz bottle, and the price is a steal (to me). This might be my favorite beer.

Arbitrator, Sep 14, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

heddar33, Sep 09, 2012
4.48/5  rDev +3.5%

I have been sitting on this beer for quite some time and have recently gotten to the “why not open up ‘special’ stuff in the cellar” point. A big thanks to Greg (googzoid10) for this beer.

2011 Vintage.

Appearance – Pours completely flat into a CBS snifter with a few bubbles due to my pouring it as hard as I could (knowing it was perhaps without carbonation). Dark brown color, though there is a nice deep ruby red hue around the edges (and when I was pouring it).

Smell – Wow. The aroma is intoxicating. Dark fruits up front, most prevalent ripe dark cherries. Lots of oak, vanilla, brown sugar, milk chocolate, and booze. As it finishes the other dark fruits such as plums and raisins, make their appearance. An overall hint of tartness and oakiness throughout the sip.

Taste – A mixture of bourbon and tart yet sweet cherries up front. This fades to decadent chocolate flavors mixed with oak and creamy vanilla.

Mouthfeel – Despite being void of carbonation, a wonderful mouthfeel. Extremely syrupy, chewy, and sticky.

Overall – Oh how I wish this had at least just a *hint* of carbonation. That would make this beer almost perfect for me. A nice alcohol warmth, flawlessly integrated flavors (I can’t get over the cherry, vanilla, and oak flavors – they are so REAL and balanced together), and a nice thick mouthfeel. This is a perfect beer tonight on this 60’s almost fall night on the porch. Extremely impressed.

SpdKilz, Sep 08, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

fehrminator, Aug 25, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -17.3%

Enjoyed this last night during a HotD horizontal tasting

09 bottle

pours like a flat regular adam...deep brown almost still looking liquid

smells like figs mostly and sort of like a campfire (next to adam and adamFtw this is was most smokey)

The cherries have pretty much all faded on the taste but it was still quite enjoyable. Great vanilla notes with some figs, wood, tobacco and leather...slight alcohol heat.

mothfeel was pretty on par with where adam is but the carbonation on the other hand was pretty much non existent

Overall I am very glad I finally got to try this one but I dont think I would be actively seeking this out when I can just run to the store and get regular adam.

joefuzz, Aug 25, 2012

mdillon86, Aug 23, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

lern, Aug 22, 2012
2.85/5  rDev -34.2%

Appearance: Pours out a very dark brown body (though some reddish hints at the far edges) with a few bubbles that never quite form a head.

Smell: Earthy-scented, oxidized, and boozy are my main impressions joined by empty, lacking notes of spiced, brown sugar mixed cherries and soiled, more-than-musty wood.

Taste: Starts sweet, then traipses off towards a muddied earthiness, a dash of soy atop crushed sourish, tangy black cherries, and some solvent alcoholic heat. Oxidized malts. Rank wood. Modest phenolic smokiness. Near-flat, sweet, cherryish finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Very little carbonation present.

Overall: I'm sorely disappointed here. I was really expecting quite a bit more, instead, it's muddled, lacking, and rather non-cohesive.

ChainGangGuy, Aug 12, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

2011 bottle, moderately cooled, in a Bruery glass.

Smells like black cherry and old barrels in perfect harmony, complex and good. Delicious, good intensity, full bodied, big malt and fruit, almost syrupy but not overly sweet, well balanced by dark caramel and some fruit juice type tartness. Complex, earthy and savory. Long finish. Nice!

Beerzebub, Aug 03, 2012

CheapBeerBuzz, Jul 24, 2012
3.33/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours dark brown with a reddish hue. Absolute lack of carbonation or any head as is typical with some HOTD stuff.

A lot of the leather and tobacco that are prominent on the base beer come through on this. Heavy doses of bourbon and an almost port wine like smell. Maybe a bit of cherries, but the booze still smells hot on this one.

Not as hot as the nose would indicate. A little bit of sweet cherry leads off and after the initial sip I was afraid it would be way too sweet. While it is sweet, the bourbon then comes in to cut a little of the sweetness. Dark fruits, leather and tobacco as well.

Absolutely no carbonation, even by HOTD standards and the mouthfeel is a bit lighter than I'd expect from something like this. It's a shame because the flavors are there.

Good flavors, but complete lack of carbonation dooms this one. I like my old ales and stouts on the lowly carbonated side, but this is just ridiculous. It ruins a potentially great beer.

jmarsh123, Jul 23, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

hoppymcgee, Jul 19, 2012

aasher, Jul 15, 2012

Zenk, Jul 11, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -19.2%

3rdto1st, Jul 06, 2012
3.73/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Deschutes snifter. 2009 vintage.

A - pours a deep brown with a touch of ruby/mahogany. No head what so ever. Like a number of HotD beers, an almost complete lack of carbonation.

S - Sweet and boozy. The aroma is quite potent. The bourbon and sherry blends with the leather and tobacco notes. The cherries leave a touch of sourness. I also detect some oxidation.

T - Luckily the taste is not as sweet as the aroma would suggest. The usual bourbon, tobacco and leather bottles. A very port like flavor. A touch of smoke on the background. The cherries do add a sweet yet sour component to the beer but really doesn't make anything pop.

M - slick, oily mouthfeel with almost no carbonation. Slight sting from the alcohol.

O - One of my least favorite limited releases from HotD. I love Adam from the Wood so I figured the addition of the cherries would make this beer even more fantastic. However, that is not the case. I feel the cherries really didn't bring a whole lot too the table. Three lack of carbonation doesn't help but I should be used to it with HotD beers by now. Also, this was in someone else's possession between 2009-2011. So I'm not exactly sure how it was stored prior to my possession.

Mahlik, Jul 04, 2012
4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

2011 bottle.

Ugly looking pour for a beer. Honestly looks exactly like red wine: deep, dark purple with red hues. Mild amounts of tiny wine-like bubbles up top. Leaves fingers of lace, not beads.

Super malty aroma infused with cherries and brandy. Not too intense, but it's interesting.

Cherry-soaked malts meet brandy. Big, chewy mouthfeel. Boozy, leathery, caramel, tons of cherries. So much going on here.

A unique and awesome example of American creativity in brewing. One of my absolute favorite beers.

brystmar, Jun 30, 2012
4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

09 Vintage

A Pours dark bown/red and has zero head and lacing. Completely opaque in the glass and zero carbonation in the glass. I love the color but no head and carbo hurts the look.

S I can smell it from the pour. Alcohol and tart cherry acidity are in your face upfront. Some musty leather and tobacco are in there as well but tart rules the nose. Very interesting.

T Not nearly as intense as the nose, much more old ale. Sweet malts, sweet cherry,, chocolate, light alcohol kick, molasses, and leather. Theres a TON going on in here. The barrel is there but definitely nicely integrated.

M Heavier side of medium feel on the tongue with no carbonation at all but feels pretty nice. A tiny carbonation would help this but I'm not going to complain much

O Really interesting beer. Lots going on in the nose and taste that makes it one of a kind. The cherries are just enough to add an awesome layer of complexity. Thank you Alan!

Gushue3, Jun 22, 2012
4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

Thanks Ron!

Had right after AFTW. The expectations from this one were lowered so it came as a nice surprise.

Pinkish brown colored, you can tell there's cherries in it. Vanilla, kriek in the aroma. Very inviting.

Medium cherry notes in the taste but what makes it is the intense and awesome dessert wine character... sweet but relatively clean and very decadent. Dark fruit and chocolate. The almost non-existent carbonation works for this beer.

Not quite the same level as Matt but close. Bonus was Ryan's share that I got to drink because he couldn't stand it!

3, 4, 4, 4, 4.5

tewaris, Jun 15, 2012
4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

Bottle (2011)

Thanks for opening this with me, baybassboy!

(Aged for 1 year)

Dark ruby in color, nearly brown, with very little visible carbonation. This leaves dots and thin sheets of lacing down the glass.

Complex aroma, though not quite as complex as Adam from the Wood's surprisingly--though just as good. The oak and dark fruits are present again, along with loads of vibrant, sweet, crushed cherry aroma. Bold and expressive.

The flavor is quite nice, and the added cherries really transform this beer even further. Lots of chocolate, oak, and earth flavors present, along with lots of cherry flavor. My only complaint would be that the cherry flavor seems to add a touch of an acidic quality to the overall drinking experience, though this is still quite delicious.

Medium bodied with very low carbonation.

Very nice, though I significantly preferred Adam from the Wood.

ehammond1, Jun 12, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

BdubleEdubleRUN, Jun 11, 2012
4.13/5  rDev -4.6%

Great share by Jeff, who brought this specifically so we could fill out our Adam horizontal of side-by-side-by-side Adam, Adam FtW, and Cherry Adam FtW. 4 oz. poured into a FFF Teku on June 9th, 2012.

A - Pours a very flat, deep-brown with a definite touch of ruby red, Cabernet-looking hue. No head, retention, or lacing. Wine- like alcohol legs.

S - Definitely let this breath to really pull out the port and black cherry notes. Underlying barrel notes of charred oak, roasted grains, and slight bourbon. No significant heat.

T - The cherries are stronger here. Good underlying winter fruit, roasted grains, cocoa, toffee, and espresso.

M - Mightily dry finish, almost no carbonation (needs a bit more). Medium body.

D - It's very unique, the carbonation is really too low here and makes it drink more like a red wine blend. The closest thing I can think of is Arctic Devil, but with the stronger cherry note here I think this stands out a bit. As my good friend Dan says, "you gotta pop that cherry hard."

Auracom, Jun 11, 2012

nmann08, Jun 11, 2012
4.2/5  rDev -3%

Bottle thanks to Mac, thanks man.

The look is nice, it's a very dark brown look, brown highlights on the edges, very little lacing.

A hefty dose of black cherries, smokey malts and licorice, blackberries some more cotton candy on top in the nose.

The taste follows the smell, plenty of smoky malts (amazing) and great cherry edge. Seem very nice vinous tastes almost like a big cab to me. Toasted marshmallow, Lots of nice malt.

It feels like a big dark red wine to me, big Cabernet. Very nice.

Overall a very nice brew, the most like a dark red wine I've had to date.

Dreadnaught33, Jun 09, 2012
Cherry Adam From The Wood from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room