Cherry Adam From The Wood - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Cherry Adam From The WoodCherry Adam From The Wood

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Cherry Adam from the Wood is aged with locally grown black cherries in Bourbon and Sherry casks for 15 months.

First release - November 2008
Second release - November 2009
Third release - March 2011
Fourth release - November 2012

(Beer added by: SirChugsAlot on 11-16-2008)
3.85/5  rDev -11.1%

Thanks to Adam who brought this bottle north to Darkness Day to wrap up a great BIF we were involved in during 2010. Been saving this for a rainy day to pair up with a regular Adam. Well, it's not raining, but it's almost 100 degrees, good enough for me. Split into two small tasters, one for me, one for my wife. Into the breach once more we go. Vintage 2008 proclaims the bottle.

Pours like regular Adam, dark brown, red edged. Unlike Adam, virtually no carbonation/head is present. Smells of syrupy black cherry, sweet malts, coupled with a crack of alcohol.

This bottle of Cherry Adam from the Wood has been sadly, cruelly assaulted by a gang of oxidation-toting ruffians; but here, in rare form, it almost works. Cherry is mixed in liberally with hints of leather, faint wood, & the sherry barrels that complement the natural sherry-like characteristics of plain Adam. Bourbon is evident only in the aftertaste in the back/bottom of the throat. The ending is sticky malts, & despite the heaviness & lack of carbonation, the cherry makes this a bit easier to choke down.

Well, despite it's obvious differences to regular Adam, this is in the same good-to-very-good category. Would like to try this again fresher, I wonder how the cherry & barrels would play without any age on it.

4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

2011 vintage sent by gford217. This beer’s made by taking the original Adam and throwing it in bourbon barrels with black cherries for 15 months. Into a tulip it goes.

Thick, syrupy purple-black. No hiss when the top pops and no head to speak of, which means no carbonation, sadly. Looks thick, murky, absorbing.

Very sweet black cherries in the nose. Also butter, vanilla, toffee and dark chocolate. Great barrel character.

Super sweet flavor, like black cherry syrup mixed with dark chocolate. I also get vanilla ice cream, oak, light hints of leather and toffee. The cherries and molasses are much more prominent here. Very slight tang at the finish.

Like I feared — flat as a pancake. There’s no alcohol in the flavor, but it shows up here, with fumes blazing through the nose. The thick, buttery, medium-full body coats the tongue nicely.

Great flavor. The lack of carbonation doesn’t destroy the experience, but come on, Alan — give me a little.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.
2009 vintage

A: Murky, medium brown color with just a ring of loose, oily bubbles around the edges. No lacing remains, and a small puddle of dark brown sediment gathers at the bottom of the glass.

S: Heavy bourbon dominates, complemented by dark brown sugar and lesser dark roast. The bourbon presence suggests booziness, but ethanol is not pronounced.

T: Begins very sweet, with hyperbolic dark fruit that is slightly mineral and tart. Vaporous fusels are released in the mouth early, distributing the flavors effectively. Restrained charred wood is diminished as molasses follows, allowing bourbon to expand in the middle. Dark, bitter roast emerges toward the finish, offering some leather once it is nestled amongst the other flavors. Oak, bourbon, and a touch of vanilla linger on the palate.

M: Medium to thick viscosity, soft yet tannic on the palate, with very low carbonation.

D/O: Certainly appealing, this bourbon-infused strong ale becomes almost indistinguishable from select barleywines that have received the treatment. Its sweetness sets the tone for all that follows, providing the best and most decadent possible canvas for the fruit and the spirit. Sip slowly and savor without distractions.

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

thanks to phelps for sharing this. 2011 bottling.

A: a dark plum color with no head.

S: lots of bourbon, black cherries, vanilla, and oak. there is caramel and toffee in there, as well as burnt sugar. i get a small amount of soy sauce.

T: molasses and black cherries dominate the flavor. there is also vanilla and bourbon with some oak. there is a touch of sweetness in there. toffee and burnt sugar finish it off with a bit of plum and dark fruits and dark chocolate.

M: thick, smooth, and no carbonation, but the no carb works.

O: a great beer. i didn't want this beer to end.

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

On tap in a tulip at the tasting room on 3/9/11

2011 vintage

Dark, dark, crimson brown. At times it looks dark enough to be a deep plum. 1/8th inch rose-hued head thins immediately to a collar. No retention or lace by mid-way through the glass.

Aromas of tart, dark cherries. Bourbon heat and hints of vanilla and wood. Malts offer impressive depth - chocolate, caramel and figs. Smells very good but also rather hot.

The flavors the beer imparts are all the more impressive. Distinct, yet not-too-tart, cherries lead off, enveloping the base beer. Smooth maltiness throughout with a subtle hop presence. Swaths of cherry, vanilla, chocolate, figs, charred oak and dark fruit notions. Toasted grains. Not too much bourbon but it is hot.

Full, slick, coating feel. Carbonation is low on the front end but fizzes up mid-swallow. Subtle graininess underneath. Long, full-flavor finish lingers.

Overall impression: so tasty and such a great sipper. Exceptionally done. I'm beyond tickled to have happened across this on the one night I was in Portland.

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

Took the leap of faith and ordered a $28 bottle of this as my dessert beer on my 25th birthday last year. I was just hopin that it was going to be good, I'm assuming the bottle I had was from 2009. It poured out as a dark red color, the head... Was never there. No lacing at all. The smell of the beer was very wine-like. Strong barrel aromas, blended with cherries, and booze. The taste was a little tart but had a complex flavor to it from the cherry to the wood and then some nut flavors in the far background. The mouthfeel was a little watery I thought. A little too much like a red wine. The overall thoughts I had on this beer was that I didn't think it was worth the amount I paid. Sadly I think there are much nicer beers out there other than this for much less. However I am glad that I got to try it. I don't see myself ordering this brew again.

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Received as an "extra" in a trade with oregone; knocked off a big time want for me, so thanks.

2011 vintage poured into my New Belgium globe. Striking color profile with dark cherry/plum edges and an otherwise black body. Not even a crying attempt at a head formation, and though it is well known for this beer, makes me dock it just a bit.

Smell is dominated by bourbon and sherry. I don't get much fruit in the nose when I inhale.

Taste is much less spirit-forward and instead the alcohol takes the shape of a sweet port on the back end. The front is raisins, sweet cherries (not overly so), and just a little cough syrupy.

Again the lack of carbonation affects the mouthfeel as well. A touch syrupy with no appreciable bubbling on the tongue. It works with this flavor profile but I would prefer just a bit of bubbles; it's beer still for crying out loud.

Overall a very interesting take with some really strong features; I would prefer a touch of carbonation but I enjoyed it very much nonetheless.

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

12oz Bottle poured into a 10oz snifter

A - Pours and looks like a red wine. A dark blood red with strong alcohol legs but literally no head at all.

S - This thing has filled up the room. So Complex. Most prominent flavor is a cherry/ chocolate medley that is absolutely intoxicating. A strong vanilla and bourbon note follows with some mild alcohol. The dark fruit and leather note that is present in adam is not there at all however.

T - The first sip of this was a revelation. It starts out with some cherry sweetness, immediately followed with a sourness, and finishes with bourbon and cherry notes. This beer is so complex, however. Notes of chocolate and fig are also present, is very similar to a brilliant port. Starts off sweet and ends bitter, with so many flavors that meld so well together they are virtually indistinct.

M - Theres no carbonation here, to get that out of the way. That said, I cannot taste the alcohol at all, and the stickiness is a welcome addition. I dont mind the flatness, but it is a well known aspect of the beer.

Notes - This is an incredibly complex beer and I will enjoy this for the remainder of my night. The mouthfeel isnt particularly strong if thats something that is crucial for you, but honestly it is so powerfully complex it is easily one of the best I have ever had. Just incredible.

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

2009 vintage

Pours an opaque brown with some reddish brown showing through at the edges. A small cover of a head forms at the end of the pours but dissipates quickly to a ring around the edge.

The smell is oak, cherry, leather and a touch of alcohol.

The taste, at first, is oak and cherries. What follows is some vanilla, maybe a little licorice and leather. There's some bourbon flavor but that seems to have mellowed almost out of existence.

Mouthfeel is pretty full but lacks any carbonation or just a modicum of it.

Overall: This beer has all kinds of things going on from the aroma through the taste. Knowing what this has been through in it's aging doesn't bother me with the very low carbonation level. Adam is one of my favorite beers and this is a really nice version of it. Highly recommended.

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a beautiful deep ruby brown with a thin brown head.

Smells of dried fruit and caramel, as well as some cherry and plenty of bourbon and oak.

Oh jeez. Crazy complex flavor; dried fruit, caramel, cherries, and bourbon. The alcohol brings plenty of heat, but not overwhelming.

Smooth as can be. Rich and creamy. A little bite from the alcohol, but never off-putting. A tiny bit of carbonation and lots of body.

Just a top notch beer. Really amazing. The flavors all compliment each other perfectly. Nothing overwhelms, only adds to the flavor. Hard to get, but worth the trip to the tasting room.

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%

Bottle at Brouwer's. 2011 vintage. This was my first trip to Brouwer's and it was absolutely worth it. Started at the upstairs seating overlooking the bar, but then spotted two seats at the bar and grabbed them. Poured into a snifter:

A: Pours an absolutely gorgeous black cherry red with brown highlights. I have never seen a beer so deep red other than some fruit wilds. Very vibrant mahogany with crimson and brown highlights. Some small bubbles try to form a head, but there is not much.

S: Incredible port melded with tart black cherries and bourbon. Absolutely sublime. Nice and rich soy sauce, sweey bourbon, vanilla, and deep dark fruits.

T: Just as the smell eludes. Jam packed with intense flavours of black cherry jam, sweet vanilla and bourbon, and port. Some nice tobacco, ash, and wood also blends nicely. So many flavours in here it really makes your head spin. One of the most flavourful beers I have had. It is young though and needs time to mature and blend together. In a few years this vintage will be top notch.

Overall, this was amazing. Glad to have at such a great bar.

3.95/5  rDev -8.8%

12oz bottle 2009 vintage

A- Dark brown/black, stout like. Very little head and no lacing or retention. No visible carbonation.

S- Very malty, Roasted dark malts, some cocoa.

T- Chocolate covered cherries, roastiness, some sweetness, vanilla and oak.

M- Very smooth. A little heat from the alcohol.

Overall- Great beer, would love more carbonation.

4.33/5  rDev 0%

Poured from bottle into a snifter

A - Dark black w/ some reds in the light and on the edges. Very little carbonation and no head to speak of.

S - smelled like a port -- raisins and chocolate-covered cherries, with a little bit of bitterness.

T - the taste matched the smell almost perfectly. If you gave this to someone w/out telling them what it was I'd guess most people would think it was a port.

M - medium body w/ very little carbonation, quite smooth.

O - I really enjoyed this beer and I'm glad I traded for it, but I'm not sure it's something I would drink regularly. Definitely more like drinking port than beer.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

2009 Vintage

Appearance -- Pours a chestnut brown with rosy highlights. Still.

Smell -- Black cherry, toffee, soft bourbon sweetness, leather, peaty smoke. Very mellow, this beer has clearly come together well.

Taste -- Again, the words that first come to my mind are 'mellow' and 'integrated.' Toffee, leather, black cherry, and sweet bourbon. Very aromatic.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body with an iota of carbonation. No alcohol burn, but a welcomed mellow warmth pervades the throat. It's about as good as a flat beer will get.

Overall -- Despite reports to the contrary, 2009 is still drinking like a champ: zero off flavors, great integration, very mellow. I only wish the cherry was more pronounced. More bubbles would've been nice, but I don't think it was much of a detraction.

This is quite good, but I can't help but feel like I would've gotten as much enjoyment out of three bottles of regular Adam from 2009...

3.14/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours black with a reddish tinge. Looks oily, with no head at all. Not really a surprise or disappointment considering the style.

Typical sweet old ale nose, maybe some cherry but really I'm not sure if I would identify the cherry specifically if I didn't already know it was there (maybe because the black cherries are different from the cherries typically used in beers).

Pretty tasty. Not really what I expected, it's recognizable as an old ale but it also has some non-beer flavors, maybe dark mead or something. Black cherries are way more obvious in the taste than in the nose. This is good, but not nearly as good or complex as some of the other old ales I've had.

Very slick and oily mouthfeel. Extremely low carbonation. Low carbonation is to be expected from an old ale I guess, and usually isn't a problem at all, but somehow I feel like this one needs a little more. It just tastes thin, and even though the flavor is good the mouthfeel is detracting from the experience.

Overall, a good beer but not my favorite old ale. If I'd had no expectations going in, I would have been pleased, but considering the reputation this beer has and the way some of my friends talk it up, I'm a bit disappointed. I won't be seeking out any more of this.

6.3/10

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

On tap at the Tasting room on 3.4.11.

A - Pours a deep mahogany-brown color with no head at all. It leaves fingers on the glass like a wine.

S - There is a lot here: Ripe fruit, cherries, smoke, and carmel.

T - Tastes are very similar to the smells. Very fruity and woody and smokey. Very complex, and it is hard for me to describe.

D - No carbonation. A touch sweet, but I still love it.

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance: Dark Brown not quite black reddish hints very little head
Smell: very malty good amount of cherry in the nose
Taste: Chocolate and cherry very malty just like in the nose
Mouth feel: coats tongue and lingers
Drinkability: Surprisingly drinkable but I think one is enough due to 10% ABV.
Great overall beer very delicious

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

2011 bottle, poured into a Glencairn glass. Just for fun.

A- Small ring of bubbles around the outside of the glass. Nothing substantial. Beautiful color, dark, slightly purple/maroon. Mostly just a dark brown though. Looks quite viscous, and a bit oily.

S- Very earthy, chocolate, dark dark cherries, maybe some fruity tobacco and smoke in their. Really really dense, intriguing smell.

T- Far different than the smell. Very very very cherry forward at the moment, like a mixture of sweet red cherries and some dark cherries. Maybe some adam-like characteristics in the finish, a bit of the leather and dark malts. Some spiciness.

M- Coats the mouth and lingers forever. It should be mentioned that there definitely is a slight bit of carbonation that dances on the tongue, just a bit. Surprisingly light bodied.

O- Frankly I don't think I would like this carbonated. So that's one thing out of the way, but right now this beer is way way too overpowered with cherries. Hopefully that will start to diminish. For the positive though, this thing warms your soul just a bit as it goes down. A scotch glass was definitely appropriate. This is a wonderful desert beer, and definitely one that demands your attention. I hope this review did it justice.

3.58/5  rDev -17.3%

Tonight I opened up a bottle of 2011 Cherry Adam that I received as an extra from Beerzebub (big thanks to him for including it!). It was great timing, since I had my first taste of caftw the night before. I was anxious to see how a fresh bottle stood up/compared with a 2009 (which I found very good). So I cooled it for a bit in the fridge and served at a little under cellar temp into an Orval goblet. After popping the crown off, I got absolutely no telltale hiss of carbonation present. I proceed to give it a rough pour into the goblet which resulted in an absolutely headless beer - there was just a small cluster of very tiny bubbles int he middle of the flat surface of the beer. This was a bit of a bummer - I know it's a bottle conditioned, but I was hoping for at least some visible sign of carbonation. It was a lovely dense dark color, with purplish hues around the rim. The surface was very reflective - almost like like an oil slick.

The aroma was great. Rich vanilla, figs, cherry, oak, some leather and a booze. The taste followed right along with the nose, with the cherry flavor more pronounced than in the smell. The alcohol isn't hidden but it is very well integrated with the overall flavor. There is a caramel creaminess present that I hadn't picked up in the smell.

The mouthfeel was a letdown, though. Almost like drinking an old growler of beer - the oiliness coated my tongue, but the utter lack of carbonation left my palate yearning for an offset to the syrupy feel.

Overall, it was a slight disappointment, but that disappointment is tempered by the experience of drinking a 2009 the night before. I have one more bottle of this, and I'm going to try to forget about it for at least a year in the hope that it might somehow acquire at least a modicum of carbonation.

3.25/5  rDev -24.9%

So i pour this and it's flat, no bubbles. i wonder if i am party to blame for opening it and then checking to see bottling date and seeing it's this years, and maybe it hasnt had time to bottle condition up? maybe? I wish HotD would start holding onto their bottles to give then a chance to carb up, if i was brewing, i wouldnt want to send out uncarbed bottles. Maybe it's my bad, maybe not.
The flavors are very interesting, the cherry does come through rather prominantly and has a large amount of sweetness behind it, and i think this is why the alcohol is hidden rather well, it is detectable only in some flavors and not so much in heat. The barrels come through with some oak too much not substantially so. There are alot of comparisons to a wine i could make with this actually, but i am not Tomme. Pretty Viscous and near syrupy, having that carbination would cut it down a bit. Basically, how much carbination matters will determine your enjoyment. Think of Brandy Angles Share and decide.

3.9/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured into a tulip. Thanks to Ben for sharing. Poured with almost no head; there are a few small bubbles. The body is dark maroon.

The aroma is full of sweet vanilla and cream. I can detect alcohol in the nose only with a deep whiff.

The taste is very sweet, but it works here. The vanilla is evident here as well. The finish is sweet and slightly reveals the cherry.

The mouthfeel is huge, with little to no carbonation.

The is really enjoyable as dessert with a lot of complexity.

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%

I got this one from Grant. Awesome, thanks again pal. 2009 bottle split this one with Andy for his 200th review. Poured into a tulilp. This one pours a nice violete color with just a little bit of foam that settles down. The color on this is simply amazing though.

Boozey on the aroma but that doesn't even matter. You really get smacked in the face right away with a ton of sherry. Notes of caramel and sweet dark cherries really come to mind in the aroma. The flavor mirrors the aroma nicely. Oaky notes with a sweet cherry finish. Hints of butterscotch and toffee are subtle in the background. The sherry really adds some sweetness to this. The sweetness is really nice, it doesn't seem artificial or out of place.

Really a thick robust body on this here. Full and sticky with very low soft carbonation. I'd like a little more from the carbonation, but this is still amazing. Overall an incredibly unique beer. Probably the most enjoyable beer with a dominant sweet prescence. A little boozey, but it's not the most aggressive that I've had. I could see how this could be too sweet after a while, so split your bottles with a friend gang.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 vintage, out of my Harpoon Tulip

A- No head what so ever. The beer itself is a blackish ruby color. It almost looks like a very dark red wine. No carbonation or lacing.

S- Smells nice. Notes of sherry, dark fruit, bourbon, vanilla, and oak. It smells creamy in a way that is reminicent of Bourbon County Stout.

T- Smooth at first, which is soon taken over by cherry and sherry flavors. A nice complex blend of bourbon, vanilla, and oak soon become evident. Very tasty.

M- Flat as any flat beer I've ever had. The body and complexity are great, but it could have used a touch of carbonation.

O- A very unique and tasty beer. I've been waiting to try this for a while, and it totally my style of beer. If this had a little carbonation and head, it could be near perfect.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured this 2011 cherry adam from a 12 oz bottle into a goblet. The color is extremely enticing - a dark smoky aura with an amber undertone. There is little carbonation at all, which I was expecting, but is nonetheless off-putting. This smells of dark fruit and has so many wonderful aromas I'm having a tough time picking them out.

The first taste of this beer floods your palette with a wide array of flavors - sherry, hops, dark cherry, slight smokiness and only a hint of bourbon, which is surprising given this has spent over a year in a bourbon barrel. The next sip still pleasant but not quite as good now that the newness has worn off.

There is so many great things going on this beer and it is very well balanced. The wild and complex flavors blend together nicely. The only thing missing is carbonation which I suspect would turn this great beer into one of the very best. I wouldn't call it syrupy, but the lack of carbonation gives it a slightly unpleasant mouthfeel that is only negated by the amazing flavors. You can't help to wonder how much these flavors would sing if there was more carbonation to bring them out of the mix.

Overall a fine offering that shows HotD really knows how to nail complex and adventurous beers.

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

2009 vintage

A: Poured a sluggish, murky very dark brown with no carbonation at all. No bubbles, nada.

S: Loads of tobacco, leather, smoke, dark fruits. heat was not to bad but the cherry is all but faded away.

T: Good. Followed the nose very well. Upfront was leather, smoke, dark fruits, booze in the middle, not much cherry going on, wood and Earthiness. Bourbon was still hanging around but very tame.

M: Hearty beer. Big body. Lots of flavor.

O: Good

Cherry Adam From The Wood from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room