Cherry Adam From The Wood - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Cherry Adam From The WoodCherry Adam From The Wood

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Beer added by: SirChugsAlot on 11-16-2008

Cherry Adam from the Wood is aged with locally grown black cherries in Bourbon and Sherry casks for 15 months.

First release - November 2008
Second release - November 2009
Third release - March 2011
Fourth release - November 2012
Ratings: 762 | Reviews: 264
3.67/5  rDev -15.2%

Thanks for sharing this one Greg! 2009 bottle had on 2.18, from notes.

Pours nearly black with no head, some weirdly large-sized bubbles try to surface and form something but fail. epic fail.

Smells like.... well the cherries are there, surprise surprise. Some ripe apples too. Just a general dark fruitiness, really. Booze, chocolate and some syrupy sweetness. Taste is the same, with some charred malt and sweet flavors but a bit of a woodiness to it. Fruitiness is apparent throughout along with good complexity. Booze is there in the finish and somewhat lingers without any carbonation to carry it away. Though, this beer is properly carbonated for what it's trying to be. The low carbonation and combination of flavors and booze presence almost create a liqueur quality to the mouthfeel and experience of this beer. The flavors work very well together and I would like to revisit this down the road. I had drank this once before this review and remembered liking it more, so it's possible that my outlook will change again in the future. Thanks Greg!

3.69/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle into snifter. Thanks codewarrior! 2011 bottle.

A: Pours like a glass of red wine: deep maroon in color with no carbonation. No bubbles at all. Oh well.
S: Rich and sweet notes of black cherry juice, sherry, bourbon, damp wood, baking chocolate, maybe toffee and hints of leather.
T: Slick and greasy well integrated flavors of caramel syrup, bourbon barrel, sweet cherry, damp musty earth, chocolate and leather with hints of toffee, butterscotch, tobacco and leafy hops in the finish. Aftertaste is sweet with a hint of oak tannin and mild barrel spice.
M: Greasy thick and viscous mouth and body, heavy, buttery and greasy. Flat.
O: Really really good flavor. Flat in this case is ok, but a few bubbles would have been nice.

3.7/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Deschutes snifter. 2009 vintage.

A - pours a deep brown with a touch of ruby/mahogany. No head what so ever. Like a number of HotD beers, an almost complete lack of carbonation.

S - Sweet and boozy. The aroma is quite potent. The bourbon and sherry blends with the leather and tobacco notes. The cherries leave a touch of sourness. I also detect some oxidation.

T - Luckily the taste is not as sweet as the aroma would suggest. The usual bourbon, tobacco and leather bottles. A very port like flavor. A touch of smoke on the background. The cherries do add a sweet yet sour component to the beer but really doesn't make anything pop.

M - slick, oily mouthfeel with almost no carbonation. Slight sting from the alcohol.

O - One of my least favorite limited releases from HotD. I love Adam from the Wood so I figured the addition of the cherries would make this beer even more fantastic. However, that is not the case. I feel the cherries really didn't bring a whole lot too the table. Three lack of carbonation doesn't help but I should be used to it with HotD beers by now. Also, this was in someone else's possession between 2009-2011. So I'm not exactly sure how it was stored prior to my possession.

3.7/5  rDev -14.5%

Many thanks to vwcraig for giving me the hook-up on HOTD beers or I wouldn't have been able to try this. This gushed despite being properly chilled which is always a disappointment with expensive beers but I didn't lose much. It looks nice, dark black-brown, no head, red edges. It smells like wood, barrels, liquor, alcohol, very interesting. The flavor has a leather quality that I get from regular Adam, the slightest touch of tartness but I couldn't pinpoint it as a cherry flavor. This was pretty good but I'm not sure I'd pick this up again given the price and the fact that I just prefer Fred and Doggie Claws over Adam as a rule. I do have one bottle left to cellar so we'll see how that goes.

3.76/5  rDev -13.2%

A - Black with a red hue. Not much head. Nada. Some but not much lace.

S - Cherries, bourbon, wood, some type of complex smell that makes them all together more than their parts. Best part of this beer, IMO.

T - Intense but not so much as smell. A bit watery in the front.

M - Medium to heavy, low carbonation, good coating, fair balance.

D - Hype was bigger than what I experienced.

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

2009 12 oz. bottle poured into an oversized snifter. Given Adam's abundant head, I was worried a regular snifter wouldn't suffice. An enormous thanks to psiweaver for this beer. He sent it to me as an extra on my first trade. I don't think I really appreciated what he was sending me back then. Now I understand and hope I can repay the generosity.

Appearance - Like flat cola. Dark brown, impenetrable by light, and not a single bubble. Damn it's unsexy.

Smell - Bourbon aroma, primarily, followed by cherries. There's a vanilla flavor, probably either from the sherry or the oak, that I like, but a lot of sweetness persists in the smell. All of the aromas are good, but they come from the additives, not the actual beer.

Taste - Like the smell, bourbon flavors up front, followed by cherries. The sweetness is a bit intense. It follows through the whole drink. In the middle, when the bourbon and cherries fade, there is a wonderful chocolate taste that is as fleeting as it is delicious. I wish it would last, but it fades.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation would do this wonders. As it is, there's not a hint of alcohol in it nor is it very syrupy, really. It's still flat as hell and that makes it tough to drink.

Overall - I miss Adam. Where is he amongst all this cherry bourbonity? I remember the carbonation on Adam being too much, but this is the antithesis. Somewhere in between the base beer and this would be one hell of a creation.

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 16oz snifter. Chilled. 2011. Had this only a few weeks after release.

A: dark, black, purple edges. zero carbonation but I was expecting this. when swirled, it looks a little thicker than water.

S: HUGE cherry smell as well as a deep and malty barleywine smell. chocolate, cocoa, toffee, bourbon, vanilla.

T: Just an overwhelming cherry flavor from start, to the mid, and LONG cherry finish. The only thing I have to compare this to is NG cherry stout(which was terrible btw) and this is quite good in comparison. alcoholic, vanilla, breakfast cereal, oak, hazelnut.

M: Amazing feel. Really fun and smooth. full bodied and just amazing.

O: A great experience but I believe this will get a LOT better when it has 2 years on it.

3.79/5  rDev -12.5%

Sampled March 2009
A careful, but solid pour into my large Tripel Karmeliet tulip glass produces a frothy, half-finger thick, fairly quickly disappearing, lightly browned, dark tan colored head. The beer is quite dark, with a concentrated brown, approaching black color, when held up to the light beer shows some flashes of ruby, but is mostly opaque in its darkness. The aroma smells of spicy Bourbon, but has an earthy malt character to it that moves into a rich note in the finish that is a bit like prunes or perhaps even some sherry like notes. There is enough noticeable alcohol in the nose that it warms my nose upon a deep draught of the aroma. The malt character here is pretty complex, though in some ways subtle; toasted malt notes, spicy grain, a hint of salty smokiness, something a bit like carbonized fruit (though without the acrid notes, or even the burnt char character). There is some woody oak character here, as well as some spicy barrel character, soft vanillin notes and even a touch of toasted coconut; overall the barrel notes are pretty well integrated and don't overwhelm the rest of the aromatic notes. I definitely don't smell any cherry like notes here though.

This beer is lightly sweet, though it has more of a rich maltiness than actual sweetness. The beer finishes with a peat derived, salty, earthy smokiness that lingers on in the finish along with a sherry'd prune character (prune without much sweetness though). This is only lightly carbonated; it has just a prickle of carbonation as it rolls across the tongue. The beer isn't overly viscous, though it certainly has some body to it, and it has a certain soft creamy texture to it. Behind the smokiness in the finish are some dark malt notes that suggest hints of tar, a bit of roasted coffee notes and a rich roasted caramel note (not burnt, but rich with lots of Maillard browning flavors). This definitely has a spiciness from the barrel aging process and the alcohol also provides a bit of heat. There is a touch of tartness to the finish; is this where the otherwise absent cherry character comes in?

I am not quite too sure about the cherry part of this beer, there is a general fruity richness, but certainly not anything I can identify as cherry specific. This could use a bit more texture and heft, a bit more residual malt character in the body would help to smooth out the warm / boozy alcohol and spicy barrel notes. Seems to lack a bit of finesse and the flavors / aromas are not quite as integrates as one might hope. Still this is certainly a tasty beer and I like how the background sherry notes add a lot of richness to this beer. The smoky peat character also adds a lot of background complexity to this beer.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Thanks to Jwolfie70 for sharing this.

Pours a dark brown. Thin tan crust. Bubbly. No real head.

Smells like it has rich brown sugar, dark fruits, some brandy/rum, and some surprisingly understated cherries to it.

Taste is a blast of oak and cherries. Some dark fruits. Brown sugar ... woody. Really sweet. It's okay, but not as integrated as I would have liked, and there's a lot of sweetness that doesn't necessarily taste like anything specific.

To be honest, I like the regular version a lot better. This has a bit too much going on, and could use some age on it.

Also under-carbonated.

3.81/5  rDev -12%

This beer poured a deep brown with just a slight reddish hue to it. Very slight head about half a finger. Looks delicious!-

This beer smells very similar to the original Adam, smokey, leathery, and malty. It also has a bit of an oaky smell to it.

The taste was where I was let down by this beer. It had all the flavors of Adam which I love, but had a very tart cherry flavor that was almost like wine. very distinct flavor of black cherry. Felt and tasted a bit like sherry. Flavor has huge potential, but the cherrys throw the perfectly balanced Adam way out of wack.

Mouthfeel was alot like wine, very drying.

I could probably only have one of these as it is so tart.

I would like to see what this beer would taste like served incredibly cold as I feel that may take away a bit of the tartness and possibly give the cherry flavor a bit more of a chance. I would also like to see how this tastes after a couple years in the cellar. I will have to try both.

3.82/5  rDev -11.8%

Thanks to Adam who brought this bottle north to Darkness Day to wrap up a great BIF we were involved in during 2010. Been saving this for a rainy day to pair up with a regular Adam. Well, it's not raining, but it's almost 100 degrees, good enough for me. Split into two small tasters, one for me, one for my wife. Into the breach once more we go. Vintage 2008 proclaims the bottle.

Pours like regular Adam, dark brown, red edged. Unlike Adam, virtually no carbonation/head is present. Smells of syrupy black cherry, sweet malts, coupled with a crack of alcohol.

This bottle of Cherry Adam from the Wood has been sadly, cruelly assaulted by a gang of oxidation-toting ruffians; but here, in rare form, it almost works. Cherry is mixed in liberally with hints of leather, faint wood, & the sherry barrels that complement the natural sherry-like characteristics of plain Adam. Bourbon is evident only in the aftertaste in the back/bottom of the throat. The ending is sticky malts, & despite the heaviness & lack of carbonation, the cherry makes this a bit easier to choke down.

Well, despite it's obvious differences to regular Adam, this is in the same good-to-very-good category. Would like to try this again fresher, I wonder how the cherry & barrels would play without any age on it.

3.84/5  rDev -11.3%

This was a 2009 bottle poured into my Hunahpu's snifter.

Appearance: The beer pours an opaque mahogany with hardly any head at all. The carbonation that was there initially goes away very quickly. This is a flat beer.

Smell: Sweet and malty with some bourbon heat. I'm definitely getting some cherry along with some caramel and vanilla notes.

Taste: Sweet malt, sweeter than the base beer. Some cherry with some other dark fruit notes as well. Some bourbon, but not much heat at all. Vanilla notes in the background.

Mouthfeel: The body is just on the thick side of medium. The beer is flat with a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this beer was good, but I enjoyed the base beer and the regular wood version more. I would have another though.

3.86/5  rDev -10.9%

Huge thanks goes out to HuskyinPDX for the chance to try this one!

Popped the cap, no hiss. Uh oh.... Pours a dark red/brown color but is completely opaque in the glass, with some purple highlights around the top edge. No head, no lacing, just a lifeless dark liquid. Wonderful aroma with a whole lot going on. There's lots of chocolate, oak, and cherry, with some alcohol coming out from the background, especially as it warms. Taste is really nice as well, but this thing is completely flat. Cherry is well-integrated into the old ale base, which mingles with the fudge and chocolate flavors, and is hit with a bit more complexity from the barrel aging. Cherries give it an overall sweetness, there's a touch of smoke/charred wood in the background, and some vinous, red wine notes, but overall, very sweet and leaves my lips very sticky. Mouthfeel is full and almost syrupy, but I really can't get into flat beers. Is this thing not supposed to be carbonated? Is this the new west coast style for old ales (i.e. Lost abbey)?

Overall, a really tasty beer, and it smells heavenly, but this is the second HotD bottle in a row that has been completely flat, the other being Matt. Perhaps they use terrible bottle caps that don't hold up well when being shipped, I dunno, but I have to imagine that the brewer doesn't want their beer to be completely absent of carbonation like this is. Perhaps it needs more time in the bottle to condition and get some bubbles? Whatever the case, this would be a winner if it were carbed properly, but right now it's just an interesting, cherry-infused beer syrup. I'll let my other bottle relax in the basement closet for about 6 months and see what happens, but I don't have high hopes.

3.87/5  rDev -10.6%

Cherry Adam from the Wood 2011

This beer has been a long time want for me. Glad I was able to finally try it.

Adam pours a VERY dark brown/black that shows ruby edges in the light. Absolutely no carbonation. Still as water. Aromas of sugary malt, oak, figs, raisins, black cherry, alcohol. Whoa! Fantastic and complex nose here.

The flavors are intricate and excellent. Brown sugar, bourbon, slightly sweet cherries, alcohol, plums, raisins, figs, oak, sweet red wine (a note form the cherries and oak I suppose). Big, bold flavors all over the place. Ethanol is present from start to finish but provides the only relief from an insanely sweet beer. The flavors are explosive. For something this complex, it's easy to pick out seperate flavors.

It's all been roses to this point. Let's talk about mouthfeel. This is one of the oiliest beers I've ever come across. Medium to full bodied and oily as hell on the tongue. Clings to your mouth, slick on the tongue. The fact that this beer is entirely flat really hurts the overall drinking experience. I'm not asking for a luxurious head here but some bubbles to lighten the mouthfeel and break up the overpowering sweetness would certainly be appreciated.

Cherry Adam is an excellent beer that I'd happily drink 5 oz of at any point. I'll never turn this one down.

3.88/5  rDev -10.4%

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle from the third release.

The beer pours a very dark brownish-red color with a tan head. The aroma is full of cherries and roasted malt, with a little bit of soy mixed in.

The flavor is similar. I get a lot of chocolate and cherry notes, with some roasted malt thrown in for good measure. There is also some soy sauce in the flavor, as in the aroma. The alcohol is present but doesn't affect drinkability.

Medium to full mouthfeel and low carbonation. Glad I got to try this one.

3.89/5  rDev -10.2%

Thanks to Ineedabeerhere for the bottle!
2008 vintage

Poured into a snifter. Dark prune/raisin color with a thin ring of off-white film around the edges of the glass. A few light patches of lacing here and there.

Plums, figs, alcohol and cherries on the nose. Layers of vanilla and wood plus a hint of leathery smoke. Complex and enjoyable. The cherry has an almost earthy light grassiness to it.

Cherries, figs and wood on the tongue. Darker malts with a touch of dark chocolate, finishing with some alcohol bite. Some vanilla and port/sherry like characteristics. Alcohol is noticeable, but not dominating. Crosses the beer/liquor line.

Mouthfeel is unfortunately somewhat lacking. I don't expect much carbonation with this style of beer, but this one is still too low. Body is smooth, but seems slightly thinner than the regular Adam. About average for the style.

Drinkability is pretty good. I do like this beer, especially the nose, but when you stack it up against the regular Adam it falls a bit short. The cherry addition adds to the nose, but doesn't do much for me in terms of flavor. Also seems like the barrel aging may have thinned this one out a bit. However, I'd still like to try the 2009 version at some point and this beer still worth trying, especially if you like old ales / English barleywines.

3.89/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured into a tulip. Thanks to Ben for sharing. Poured with almost no head; there are a few small bubbles. The body is dark maroon.

The aroma is full of sweet vanilla and cream. I can detect alcohol in the nose only with a deep whiff.

The taste is very sweet, but it works here. The vanilla is evident here as well. The finish is sweet and slightly reveals the cherry.

The mouthfeel is huge, with little to no carbonation.

The is really enjoyable as dessert with a lot of complexity.

3.9/5  rDev -9.9%

12 oz bottle, dated 2014. Pours dark brown with no real carbonation.

The aroma is bourbon chocolate cherries.

The flavor is sweet malts, strong bourbon alcohol, dark fruits, roast chocolate and slightly tart cherry. There's a little harsh alcohol in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with no carbonation.

Overall, a nice decedent beer.

3.9/5  rDev -9.9%

Nice flavor to beer, but didn't like the lack of carbonation. Felt like I was drinking a port to a tee. Odd beer.

3.9/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip. 2011 vintage. Thanks to Dunt for bringing this bottle.

Appearance: Dark brown color, with an obvious cherry tint and an actual cherry glow, although there is no head whatsoever.

Smell: Strong sweet cherry, some plum, fig, and raisin as well. Some general tart sweetness and a bit of tart cherry in the background.

Taste: A bit of toffee and caramel malt go along with sweet cherries and a bit of molasses up front. Nicely blended dark fruits - plums, figs, raisins, and red grapes all blend together well. The finish is a soft caramel malt sweetness. The flavor could have been finished off better.

Mouthfeel: This is the downfall of this beer. No carbonation really causes the flavors to stick together and clump on the tongue. It feels heavier than it should. Sticky.

Overall: Unfortunately, this is another Hair of the Dog beer that has no carbonation and would be amazing otherwise.

3.94/5  rDev -9%

Shared by Chico1985, reviewed from notes.

A- Very dark brown-black with no head whatsoever. No lace looks like dark juice. Is it flat?

S- Bourbon atop cocoa, old stale caramel, oak, vanilla and some smoke. Slight cherry fruit feel.

T- A good blend of nice flavors. Stale caramel malt of an old ale, nice cherry, bourbon whiskey, oak and cocoa. Sweet rich sugars.

MF- Syrup feel with alcohol warmth. Oily and slick. Has the tiniest amount of carbonation, I think, could use more.

DB- I can smell and taste the Adam behind a nice Bourbon and cherry flavor set. The carbonation missing is a setback but I still like this as a dessert beer.

3.94/5  rDev -9%

12oz bottle 2009 vintage

A- Dark brown/black, stout like. Very little head and no lacing or retention. No visible carbonation.

S- Very malty, Roasted dark malts, some cocoa.

T- Chocolate covered cherries, roastiness, some sweetness, vanilla and oak.

M- Very smooth. A little heat from the alcohol.

Overall- Great beer, would love more carbonation.

3.96/5  rDev -8.5%

I drank this from a 12oz bottle into my Rochefort glass.

The beer pours a muddy medium brown with amber highlights. No carbonation at all, no head.

The aroma is strong and super sweet. Tons of super strong dark fruit, prunes mostly and lots of vanilla. At the end is a nice hint of the wood.

The taste is very sweet, mostly vanilla. The finish is wood and alcohol.

The feel is light and extremely warm, also very sticky almost just sticks to your teeth.

Drinkability is ok for 10%.

Overall, this was ok. Its very similar to the utopias to me. Its very drinkable for a 10% beer, its almost like a after dinner drink. However, its a little too sweet for me, and there is way to much alcohol taste and feel on your mouth.

3.97/5  rDev -8.3%

An interesting and masterful creation. Dark colour with virtually no head. Cherry, bourbon and yeast in aroma. Above average mouthfeel, bulked up by caramel. Rich vanilla wood and cherry flavours dominate, the bourbon not far behind. Cannot discern carbonation.

3.97/5  rDev -8.3%

12oz bottle into my DFH snifter.

A - Dark brown, very light carbonation with no lacing.

S - Sweet cherries, strong alcohol burn on the nose, some wood/oak, and black liquorish.

T - Not as much cherry or alcohol burn as the nose. Actually, pretty well-balanced. Slight cherry flavor, nice oak, and a good amount of bourbon as well. Like I said, all very-well put together.

M - Medium bodied, very slight carbonation. A nice richness that covers the palate.

D - A sipper, but a good one nonetheless. I would search for this and drink again.

Cherry Adam From The Wood from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room