Matt - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Strong Ale |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 01-27-2009

Brewed using two Munich malts, two Smoked malts and two types of Belgian candy sugar. It was aged in 33 year old Bourbon barrels and Apple Eau de Vie barrels for about one year.

First release: February 2009 (a.k.a. 'Bottleworks X')
Second release: November 2010
Third release: October 2013
4.38/5  rDev -0.7%

Big thanks to my great friend Eric(turdfurgison) for this.

A: Pours dark brown with two quarters of tan head.

S: Wow! Roasted malt, bourbon and a hint of apple. I really get the brandy like aromas.

S: Sweet roasted malt, bourbon and smoked malt hit almost simultaneously followed closely by the apple brandy flavors. The finish is burnt sugar and raisin. And yea it's boozy, but I like the alcohol heat in this beer. As it warms the chocolate flavors really come out.

M: Thick body that is slick on the tongue. Lower then average carbonation.

O: I'm a wine guy as well, so I love a beer that reminds me of a fine port or brandy. Love this beer. A sipper for sure. Thanks again Eric! (687 characters)

4.41/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to olympuszymurgus for opening this at a recent tasting. '10 bottle.

A- Pours a murky brown with a thin off white head that leaving minimal lacing. Like most HotD brews, this isn't the prettiest girl at the ball.

S- Amazingly complex with notes of dark chocolate, camp fire, slightly unripened apples, roasted malt, peat, caramel, burnt sugar, bourbon and a hint of soy.

T- The taste follows the aroma with a great deal of complexity without any flavor being dominant. Plenty of earthiness with smoke, wood and peat followed by burnt sugar, apples, leather, roasted malt, bourbon, caramel, soy sauce, and some booze.

M- Light carbonation with a thick and full mouthfeel. Some heat at the finish.

O- One of the best I've had from HotD. An incredible beer to sip and savor. (788 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +0.2%

This is a special one for me. I have to thank my buddy Aaron for hooking me up with this bottle. I am enjoying this bottle on my son Matt's first birthday. I started looking for this bottle in October and Aaron came through big time. I poured the 12oz bottle into my DFH snifter to find a nice dark, deep, brown body. I had no head and no carbonation.

The aroma was complex, the dried fruits really stood out on this one, also with some bourbon, vanilla, caramel, and plums. A great smelling beer.

The taste was as complex as the nose, and was just exceptional. The great thing about this beer is the balance. With so much going on one flavor doesn't dominate the rest, you can really taste the bourbon, dried fruits, caramel, vanilla, etc.

This was a smooth, smooth beer to drink. The carbonation was extremely light. This one is defiantly one to take on slowly and enjoy sip by sip. (889 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +4.1%

Huge thanks to Derek (hoppymeal) for throwing this in as an extra. Derek, you're probably getting tired of all of the praise you get on here, but you are a class act my friend.

This beer looks interesting, very stout like. A little bit thin and very oily. I'd prefer a head, but I think the lack thereof is due in part to some missing carbonation. I won't hold it against this one.

The scent and taste on this are near world class. There's this funky milkiness that adds to the awesomeness of this one. There's a beautiful cola taste... Alright, I need to cut to the chase. There's in an incredibly unique smokey characteristic that is (excuse my ebonics) da bomb. The bourbon notes are phenomenal, truely magnificent. So smooth with that crunchy caramel flavor. Lovely vanilla, and light apple brandy tastes make this beer both one of a kind and amazing. I wish I had more. (878 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +11.6%

I first met ramnuts when I ordered a case of Sculpin and posted a thread in the North West forum inquiring "who in Portland wanted a couple bottles at cost". He was actually the first local BA to respond to the thread and the only one to give me his address to deliver the bottles. I showed up at his house with a couple bottles in hand and expected $20. He in turn gave me the $20 and a bottle each of '09 Doggie Claws and Bottleworks X Matt. My reaction was something to the tune of "no...don't...stop...murder", and proceeded to take both bottles home with me. My original plan was to review Matt as my 100th. The weekend after I hit my 99th review Cascade had Bourbonic Plague and Vlad the Imp Aler on tap. There went the whole 100th review reserved for Matt and I then planned on using it for my 200th review. Today while I was waiting in the line outside HotD for the release of the new vintage of Matt with ramnuts and my wife TulipSnifter, I decided to crack the different vintages side by side and tap out some reviews. So all back story aside, thanks Frank. Misty and I loved the hell out of our little vertical tasting tonight. On to some reviews!

Bottleworks X

A: Deep plum-brown with a small ring of sandstone froth and little bit of wispy bubbles across the cap greet me upon the pour. No lacing but none is expected. 4.5/5

S: My wife and I just went to Clear Creek Distillery yesterday and sampled their Eau de Vie which was one of the barrels Matt was aged in. I believe because of this, I can better pull out the essence of the fruit spirit. Its a rather sweet yet clean apple heat that really shines in this beer. Classic Bourbon is easily quaffable as well. Rich tobacco and leather are all over this. Fantastic. 5/5

T: Milk chocolate, more of the sweet apple heat, a lovely touch of campfire toasted marshmallow, and a hint of vanilla are all the flavors that I can easily identify coming through the rich, complex layers. The finish is long and sexy. Wow...oh...wow! This is THE definition of catching lightning in a bottle. Exquisite. 5/5

M: We have a touch of carbonation which is just enough to prickle up this super silky liqueur like drink. Residual sugars make this a bit of a sticky finisher but I do not mind in the slightest. 4.5/5

D: Simply mind blowing how easy this is to drink. I have to make a concerted effort not to drink this too fast. Its really hard not to simply drink right through my six ounces and not bother with a review. This is without a doubt my favorite HotD beer to come out of a bottle to date. Brilliant. 5/5

2010

A: This has the look of a muddied french pressed coffee with cantaloupe highlights. Those highlights extend to the thicker, darker, and denser "glass ring" of foam (when compared to the BWX) that sits above the body. Very good looking although different from its older vintaged patriarch. 4/5

S: There exists more of the aggressive bourbon essence in this beer. The leather is still there but the Apple Eau de Vie is so much harder to pick out. Still very nice. 4.5/5

T: There's the sweet apple I was looking for! Along with the apple is the unmistakable heat from the bourbon barrel as well as the wood. Sweet chocolate and vanilla are almost cloyingly strong. Hopefully a little time will help sort out the flavors better similar to BWX because right now, they're not as distinct. Still quite good. 4/5

M: Moderate feel is not as heavy as expected. A surprising amount of carbonation livens this up on the palate. Again this is a slightly sticky beer...but again I'm not complaining! 4/5

D: What an insanely wonderful beer! I'm sitting on some more for a later date. If this turns into what the BWX vintage did, its an intoxicating treat to look forward too and watch progress! If you can get only one bottle of HotD beer, Matt is the one! Try it if you can. 5/5 (3,843 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +7%

Finally had to crack one open...
A: Deep mahogany with hints of murky red at edges. Decent head for HotD, settling into a haze of fine bubbles on the surface.
S: Complex. Ripe apple, smoke, bourbon and barrel notes, tobacco leaf, continually unfolding.
T: Rich barrel notes with the bourbon a mild component. Smoke and tobacco, raisin, dates, some faint dried apple, etc. Very complex and delicious.
M: Thick but not cloying. The light carbonation refreshes as it coats.
D: I would love the opportunity and excuse to crack a couple or few of these. Alas, far too limited.

A great brew. Worthy of the hype and the HotD label. Complex and certainly to be savored. (662 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +6.6%

Split a 12 oz bottle 3 ways, poured into red wine glasses. The bottleworks X batch. Reviewed evening of 3/20/2011.

Ar: Smoky, but more pleasant than other smoky beers (significantly less meaty), rich and dark, roasted spicy wood, pine smoke qualities, apple sweetness, smoked evergreen

Ap: beautiful maroon/mahogany brown, low head, clear

T: Smoked wood, slightly more meaty than aroma but still less than any other smoky beer i've had, sweet rich apple, heavy dark sweetness, spicy wood, milder at first, becomes stronger/much better with warmth, very smooth bourbon, full, difficult to review, everything works very well together and individual characters are tough to pick apart, chocolate, heavy dark fruit sugar, long aftertaste, pine/smoke milder than in aroma, not caramelly, lingering apple liquor, smooth and not cloying, smoke helps the balance, very smooth charred wood

M: Full, low carbonation, clean long end, rich and very smooth, well balanced, a great sipping beer

O: Delicious, i like the aroma better than the taste, i really like the evergreen smoke notes (1,079 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured into a snifter, revealing luscious ruby and chocolate brown body under a thin film, some lacing. Looks pretty good for a strong ale. Smells absolutely delicious with a strong bourbon, caramel and slight creamy chocolate presence. Some pecans, calvados and toasted coconut as well. Really nice smells that go very well together.

Tastes fruity, smoky and slightly toasted with a nice vanilla oak richness to the malt. Sweet up front with vanilla and cacao nib. Clean lingering finish of date molasses. Boy do I like the taste! Perfect as an after dinner sipper or something to enjoy by the fire after a romp in the snow. Nice warmth after a couple sips but the alcohol is not at all assaulting. Mouthfeel is smooth with just a kiss of dryness in the middle, medium bodied and not thin but not syrupy. Not really carbonated, drinks more like a sweet digestif.

Overall I really enjoy this one. Wish I had a whole bunch of them. (932 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -12.9%

12 ounce bottle in a snifter. Pour is dark opaque brown with zero head. The liquid is viscous enough to cling nicely to the sides of my glass though. The noise features quite a bit of smoke. In the background I can pick out some oak, tobacco, and a bit of the apple brandy. The flavor is pretty complex, and I can easily say that I've never tasted anything quite like it. You get plenty of smoke, smooth oaky vanilla, and wonderful apple brandy. The mouthfeel is full and viscus, but for the most part flat. Matt is great, but I really with he was carbonated. (559 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

Absolutely stunning product.

Per most HotD BA releases there is very minimal carbonation, but there is a very slight, soft fiz that works very well. Pours out very dark brown. Has the appearance of a dark old ale.

Fantastic aroma. Apple brandy, bourbon, rich sweet smoke, dark malt, old ale musty quality - like an attic and leather. It is very rich and drier.

The palate follows suit and the finish is strong. Great balance of bitter and sweet. Get the nice apple brandy and bourbon whiskey booze. Has the great old ale quality, smoke, some dark wood and leather.

With adam from the wood as the best HotD beer I've had, and one of my favorites of all time. 94 (674 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2008 vintage opened in 2015

Appearance – Pours a very dark brownish black color, with almost no head, except a light ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell – Bourbon, molasses, smoke, and apple.

Taste – A nice sweet bourbon flavor, with molasses and vanilla.

Mouthfeel – The alcohol was not hidden at all, so the 11.5%abv felt about right.

Drinkability – Overall, this was a really good beer.  Perhaps a little flat. (435 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -14.7%

Bottleworks X February 2009

Pours flat, mahogany on the edges, opaque brownish black in the center with thin wisps of bubbles on top reminiscent of wood grain

Smells of smoke, hotdogs, cured meat. If I really reach I get vanilla, oak. Vanilla and apple come forward with warmth

Smoke, apples, vanilla, charred oak. Significantly better as it warms. Rich and sweet malt character, yet it finishes dry on the palate with just the charred barrel character lingering. Pretty complex.

Rich and velvety on the palate. Not too heavy. Minimal but acceptable carbonation.

This beer was pretty off putting to me initially, but as it came to room temp it really opened up. Tasty beer. I enjoyed the bottle of the new batch more. Not sure if it's the age or batch variation. (769 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Dark rudy brown. Pours pretty flat and looks relatively thick. Not a super attractive looking beer.

S: Gorgeous. Wonderfully nice tart apple liqueur. Nice oaky aromas, with tons of dark fruit. Not nearly as smoky as the regular Adam, which I like given the other characteristics.

T/M: Dark fruit and apple flavors are prominent. This really tastes like a liqueur to me, with lots of mouth-coating acidity and sugar. Nice big caramel malt backbone. Full-bodied. This is an awesome beer.

D: Despite the abv and intensity of the flavors this is a very drinkable beer for me. I'm glad they put this in 12oz. bottle, though (625 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +0.7%

Second batch, 2010, opened on March 24, 2011. I originally planned on holding onto this for some time since it was hot at a tasting in January, but I was lucky enough to receive a second as an extra from a very generous BA.

The color of fine wood, Matt pours a dark auburn or sienna with, as expected, almost no head or lacing.

A beautiful, decadent nose. Sweetened cocoa, molasses, and a tiny bit of smoked malts give way to bright green apple brandy, sherry, and whiskey. While the description is a mess, Matt isn't. It's rich and dark with wonderful green apple and dark fruit complementing all the best things about Adam - tobacco, earth, and sweet molasses.

Trying to describe this one is exhausting. It opens sweetly, with green apple and a stronger whiskey note on the front of the palate. Tons of toffee, molasses, and candied sugar join mid-palate, along with some balancing leathery maltiness and peat. Amazingly, Matt somehow manages to avoid being cloying, drying out mid-to-late palate. I remember this one being "hot," but, truth be told, it's warming without being distractingly boozy.

Low carbonation, sticky and syrupy, like a liqueur. It feels big.

What a beer, truly unlike any I've had before. This is probably my favorite barrel-aged HotD offering to date. It's not without its flaws, but it's a decadent beer fit for commemorating whatever you have worth commemorating. Truth be told, I struggled to finish the bottle - it's a bit cloying, rich and drinks hot enough to warrant splitting. (1,517 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +8.2%

12oz bottle, 2010 batch poured into snifter at Brouwer's on 4/14/11

A: Pours a very dark brown with no visible carbonation or head. Looks nice and thick with some dark red hues through the edges when swirled in my glass.

S: Big sweet bourbony and malty aromas, some apple and dark fruit as well, perhaps dates and some alcohol.

T: This is absolutely fantastic. Incredibly smooth, a hint of smokiness with smooth bourbon, dark fruit and sweet apple from the Eau de Vie barrels. Very little heat is detectable for an 11.5% barrel aged strong ale. The flavors combine ridiculously well with each other, this is a true masterpiece of a brew. Definitely way up there, one of my all time favorites.

M: Amazingly creamy and smooth. A slight tingle on my tongue from the little bit of carbonation that is in here. The slightly syrupy mouthfeel coats my entire mouth with tons of great flavors that linger for a very long time. Near perfect.

O: Incredible, so many great distinct flavors that combine in total harmony with one another. Every little sip goes a very long way, packing gobs of delicious flavors. Great warming feel in my stomach as I savor each sip. I love this beer. I would definitely drink a glass of this before going to sleep every night if I could. This is heaven in a glass, what more can be said? Please keep brewing this Alan, I want more! (1,358 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +4.1%

12 oz bottle from the November 2010 release. A huge thanks to waltersrj for making this happen!

Pours a deep reddish brown with no head but some nice legs as I swirl it around in my glass.

Aroma is amazing and quite complex. I am getting some dark fruits, bourbon, smoke, apples, and a good bit of alcohol.

Taste starts off with some sweet dark fruits and oak then moves on to more dark fruit sweetness and smoke, and finishes quite smoky.

Mouthfeel is thick and coats the whole mouth. There is next to no carbonation, but it's not really needed. This is incredibly smooth. Definitely a sipper and a challenging beer, almost more of a spirit than a beer. Very nice and I hope to be able to try it again someday. (716 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +8.2%

I didn't think I'd ever try this one, so thanks Steve. selfishly I'm keeping this specialty to myself. I'm not even wasting the time chilling this one. Served at around room temp.

A- pours extremely dark. it seemed like a murky brown while pouring but in the glass it just looks black. when held to light it shows some nice burgandy like colours around the edges. the little bit of sand colored head reduced to a thin collar quite quickly. it's expected with a beer at this strength, especially after spending a while in barrels

S- the barrels are play a huge role in this one. the apple brandy really shines through the most though. there is so much going on in this beer but it's not a "mess" as a lot of beers with this much going on end up being. apple brandy and bourbon, woody and earthiness, the sweetness mixes with the lingering apple and almost smells a bit tart. there is also some light smokiness and chocolate. seriously probably one of the most complex aromas from a beer I've experienced.

T- the chocolate really got masked by the barrels in the nose too much, as it seems almost center stage at the front of this beer. it quickly melds into a load of different flavors. some sweet vinous flavors mix with the chocolate and finally some of that apple brandy that was so prevalent in the nose. the barrels really do most the work in the finish. woody, apple brandy and bourbon mix, and a substantial smokiness that mixes very well with the spirits. it seems like none of the flavors completely fade away and at the end it's just a fantastic mix of everything. and while staying on the sweet side throughout it's nowhere near cloying and has more bitterness than I expected. this stuff is so seriously good.

m- maybe the only non standout part of the beer. the viscosity is substantial though. the carbonation is borderline low but I think if it was much higher it likely wouldn't feel "right"

d- I will finish this 12oz serving in a very timely manner. it's a sipper, but it's so good that the sips are frequent and consistent. the big flavors didn't weigh on me as much as I thought they would, either.

after reading some of the earlier reviews, I think the year in the bottle has really done good for the "hotness" of this one. while their was a good amount of boozy flavors from the bourbon and apple brandy it didn't come off as just alcohol. the spirits seemed well defined, flavorful and were very enjoyable (2,435 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +8.6%

I'm reviewing both vintages of Matt in this review. Tasted both Matts side by side. First judged will be Matt (Bottleworks X.) Thanks to msubulldog25 for this gem. Shared with the La Crosse tasting group during our epic battle of the 12 ozers. Poured into a snifter:

A - Pours dark brown almost hard black. Hardly any carbonation. Very small lacing. Murky bubbles and slight clouds of foam in the middle.

S - Nice smokey smell and apple brandy. Really a nice boozy heat thats just awesome. Little bit of apples, cherries and caramel which are just delicious.

T - Really nice and sweet from a variety of apples. Bourbon and brandy that mix together very well and provide a nice heat. Reminds me of Adam but better (go figure.)

M - Really smooth and a bit hot but aging very nicely.

D - I found this one more brandy forward than bourbon forward. I really liked this one a lot, better than the new Matt. This one is aging really nicely and I'm so happy to have another bottle in my cellar.

4/5/5/4.5/4.5

Now reviewing 2010 Matt. Shared by brian23456. Thanks for providing this one to test side by side with the other Matt. Poured into snifter:

A - Way more carbonation. Color is quite like the Bottleworks X in that it is deep brown and black with nice hues or caramel brown around the edges. This one has a thin foam cap that dies to a foam ring around the edges. Lacing is pretty good.

S - Brown sugar, caramel and oak. More bourbon forward than brandy as seen in the 09. Nice heat bite from the barrel. A bit smokey and leathery, but awesome nonetheless.

T - Really creamy, caramel and brown sugar. The bourbon and brandy mix nicely together. Also getting a bit of smoke and leather, with a bit of apple and peat.

M - A bit thicker than the 09. Creamy carbonation. Heat but not hot from the booze.

D - This one was more bourbon forward than brandy forward. I was impressed at the level of carbonation in this but still liked the 09 a little bit better. Great beers to try side by side (you'd be amazed at the difference.) Wonderful brews and a great treat.

4.5/5/5/4.5/4.5 (2,088 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +2.5%

355mL courtesy of SuzyGreenberg. Pours a flat, clear, deep brown with some faint bubbles (who cares though!). Aroma is big rum raisin, dark fruits, apple brandy/calvados, baked apples, coconut, milk chocolate. Taste is light calvados, rich and mellow dark fruits, smores, toffee. Very refined, complex. Yummy yum yum. 4/12/2010 9/4/9/5/18=4.5 (342 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +2.5%

This is the 2010 batch, about 4 or 5 months after release.

If I had to do a one-word review, it would be "complex." Of course, that doesn't say anything about how damn good this beer is, so thankfully I have the chance to expound.

Appearance: A dark reddish-brown that is translucent at the edges. Minimal caramel-colored head which dissipates after 10 minutes or so in my Delirium tulip.

The aroma on this beer is decadent. Vanilla and/or caramel are most readily apparent, but there's also fruitiness of the dried stone fruit variety, as well as a faint whiff of apples. The combination of barrels used gives a slight impression of caramel-covered apples. I had to knock a half-point off, though, because after taking a sip, the alcohol rears its head in the aroma with a strong solvent character.

The taste is less sweet than I expected from the aroma; there is a definite hop character in the aftertaste, but not much bitterness. Bitterness would have definitely been out-of-place in this beer. I think the alcohol cuts through any sweetness and helps to balance it, thus redeeming the occasional solvent aroma.

The taste is also where the smoked malts become evident, but just barely. I might be trying too hard to convince myself that I'm tasting smokiness, but I don't really think so. There is an apple character, too, but it's closer to apple skins than anything distinctly fruity.

The finish is remarkably clean, given the relatively viscous mouthfeel. Carbonation is just right, which is to say it is quite low. Not flat by any definition, but low.

Overall, this is one of my favorite beers of the last year or two. I actually do want another one, but I also don't want to be hungover tomorrow, so I will reluctantly abstain. (1,744 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -2%

Big thanks to Roodie for sharing this as well to Brian at Blue Palms for allowing us to crack this one open in the bar.

Poured into a goblet and allowed to warm up for about 10 minutes.

A - Dark, mahogany brown, almost espresso like with less than a finger head that disappears.

S - Amazing. Chocolate, maple syrup, tobacco, coffee, brandy. Just super complex and really the most amazing part of this beer.

T - Smoky, maple syrup with toffee and chocolate notes. Sweet red apples and some brandy notes as well. It taste amazing, but it smells just a tad better than it tastes.

M - so carbonation, very smooth.

D - Not too much of an alcohol burn on this one despite the 11.5% on this one. Excellent rainy day beer (exactly when I tried it - on a pouring Saturday evening in LA).

Love it fresh and can't wait to try to aged. (831 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -24.7%

I forgot about this one for a while.

Pours sludgy and brown without a single damn bubble. This beer has serious legs.

Smells incredible, so rich and deep. Oakey apple brandy, burnt sugar, vanilla, raisin, tobacco, leather. The taste is the same, but just too damn much of everything, including alcohol. Not overpowering, but just a bit much. There seems to be a competition to see which flavor can sting my tongue the most. Definitely a sipping beer, as even a small gulp burns my throat and numbs my lips.

Carbonation probably would have done this beer wonders, but it is just barely there. And that is why I wish I hadn't traded something awesome for it.

Now I'm going to drink a Cigar City BA Milk Porter by myself and forget about it. Literally. (755 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +0.2%

22 oz bottle poured into a Deschutes snifter. 2010 vintage.

A- Pours a deep, dark brown with no head, even after an aggressive pour. Some stray bubbles float around the edge of the glass but that's it. Nothing really in terms of lacing.

S- Where do I begin? Notes of molasses, leather and tobacco, which I would expect since the base beer is Adam. The aroma begins to become a little sweet from the apple brandy, candied sugar and honey. But everything is balanced out by the big smoky backbone. I also detect notes of dark fruits and oak. I'm a little disappointed that I'm not picking up much of the bourbon.

T- Big smokiness hits the palate. It's like a smoked meat kind of smokiness. Leather, roasted malts, dark fruits, apple and just the slightest bit of vanilla. Again, it starts to become too sweet but the smokiness does not let it become so. Velvety chocolate coats the back of my throat and lingers just for a second or two. Still not much bourbon. Based on the reviews, the bourbon should be more than noticeable.

M- Full, rich body with only trace amounts of carbonation. Somewhat creamy. The beer coats my entire mouth but falls just short of being syrupy. You can feel the alcohol's presence but it's not overwhelming.

O- Really a standout beer. Complex, layered and blended nicely. I would have given it a higher rating if there was a little more carbonation. I was a little disappointed with the lack of bourbon I was able to pull out of this beer. Overall though, a definite must try. (1,508 characters)

4.39/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2010 vintage poured into glass. Ticking a longtime major want, thanks Kundog.

Color is dark cola with a thin ring of tan head. More than I was expecting based on other reviews I read.

Smells of raisins, apples and molasses. Brandy is the prominent spirit, and I don't get much bourbon.

Sweet raisins up front with some apple on the finish. Ends with some booziness but no burn.

Thick, smooth mouthfeel, and again some heat on the end

Overall, another solid effort from HOTD; they tend to produce beers over and over right up my alley. Looking forward to my Adam from the Wood patiently tucked away in my cellar. (620 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -44%

Just opened my Bottlewrks X Matt - about 2 years old now.

A - looks great. Pours dark, nice bubbly head, not lacing, but still looks great.

S - wow, from a foot away, this beers is noticeable. Very strong bourbon smell in the nose. Dark fruits, and burnt sugar finish the wiff, pleasantly.

T - The fruity sweetness is rather overpowering. Tastes a little past it's prime. The oak is noticeable, but the fruit flavors dominate, like dark plum. I'm a little disappointed, with such a great smelling beer, I expected more. It's not a good tasting beer. It's terrible. It could be improperly aged, it could in fact just not age well, or just be a bad beer. I don't know which of the above, I just know it was not good.

M - very thin. Could use more carbonation, and body. For Barrel Aged beers, this is the low end of the spectrum for mouthfeel. It's a shame.

D - ah, not that good. The beer is a tease. It smells so good and inviting. The taste is just a fruity mess. It's overly sweet, and not enough barrel to help balance it out. The beer was practically a drainpour, but I can manage a 4 ounce serving.

O - well, I'm glad to say I have ticked this bad boy, and the Bottleworks version of it at that. I just expected more from it. People talk up a lot of beers, and this just adds to the list of disappointments. Oh well, it was worth trying. (1,348 characters)

Matt from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room