Michael - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

good

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Flanders Red Ale |  6.20% ABV

Michael is a Flanders Red, made in memory of Michael Jackson. The Beer was Brewed in January of 2007, and aged in American oak and Sherry barrels since then. It is just over 6% alcohol, made with Organic Pilsner, Vienna and Munich malts and fermented with a variety of yeast and bacteria.

Released November 2009 & Fall 2012.

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 10-17-2009)
seanthornton152

topdown

02-06-2014 23:03:00 | More by topdown
Magnus23

4.74/5  rDev +26.7%

A big take on a Flanders Red. I was a little suspect of how this would work, but I am happily surprised. Another delicious beer from Hair of the Dog. Big fruit and a little funkiness and souring. Also can taste the alcohol, but not overwhelming for a beer of its strength. Goes very nicely with a cheese plate or even a good stew. Warming, comforting and at the same time very fresh tasting.

03-30-2013 03:06:39 | More by Magnus23
sweemzander

4.65/5  rDev +24.3%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. 2009 vintage on the front label. Big thanks to domtronzero for the trade!

(A)- Pours a deep reddish mahogany color that produced a good frothy off-white head.

(S)- A wonderful nose of dry hay barnyard funk in front of a lactic-like cranberry fruit tartness. Funky, but a joy to smell.

(T)- Very similar to the smell only a tad backwards. A very potent sour vinegar and lactic acid-like bite in the forefront. A dry hay and barnyard funk in the background with some fruit-like notes of some sort. Sour, but oh-so-good!

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Very funky and sour, but I like it. Plus, the two are balanced well together not making one overpower the other. It still has a serious bite that is not for the average palate.

(D)- Wow, this one surprised me. A great example of the style in my opinion. Tastes great and has all that funk/sourness I am beginning to enjoy/crave. I would love to snag a few more of these to see how it evolves age-wise.

09-07-2010 17:34:31 | More by sweemzander

Iowa

01-27-2012 18:18:25 | More by PhineasGage
oregone

4.47/5  rDev +19.5%

I would obviously rate this higher than most.

Sourness is in check with wood and funk aromas and fruit hints both on palate and on the nose. Some amount of balancing sweetness, but certainly not sweet. Goes down way too easy for $12 a 12ouncer. Could drink this happily all night, many nights.

11-10-2010 06:10:18 | More by oregone
hopsbreath

4.45/5  rDev +19%

Sneak peak of the 2012 batch on-tap at HotD. A 12oz tulip full will run you $8.50 but it's worth it. I've previously tried the previous batch of Michael and did not care for it. When approaching Flanders Red's I ask myself if I enjoy it significantly more than a $10 750ml of Rodenbach Grand Cru. The answer was no for the '09 batch. This go around is a different story though.

Michael pours rusty/murky brown and was placed on the bar in front of me with a full half finger of butterscotch head, good lacing was left. Great intense nose reveals vinegar high on the acidity with cherry notes that are well developed and distinct. Tasting leads with the acidic vinegar but plays very closely with heavy bleu cheese funk. Very little residual sweetness left after the barrel aging. Appropriately carbonated which is no surprise on-tap; I'm really hoping this translates to the bottled batch. Probably the driest finish I've ever had on a Flanders Red.

The ’09 batch was a little muddled, but this one is both heavier on the funk and sour with brighter more intense cherry and vinegar to boot. A candidate for most improved beer of the year. I'll be buying a full allotment for sure.

05-07-2012 07:35:52 | More by hopsbreath
ktrillionaire

4.45/5  rDev +19%

Big thanks to Beerzebub for the hook-up.

With this brew, Hair of the Dog has outdone themselves. This is perhaps the most unique brew I've ever tasted. Everything about it is unusual, except for the fact that it is another excellent offering from Hair of the Dog.

A - The appearance is unusual; it pours a rare hue of deep sandalwood with a persistent white head and big globs of lace.

S - Initially, the aroma is convincingly of dill pickles. As it airs out a bit, suggestions of a vegetable mélange are asserted, and solvent alcohol is slightly apparent. The strangest thing about this brew is that it has more vegetable nuances than fruity characteristics.

T - Bitter, sour, saucy, savory, saucy, tart and pungent; all in moderation. The taste is reminiscent of pipirrana, the Spanish pickled-cucumber-tomato-pepper salad. The flavor is as perplexing and unusual as any brew I've ever had. Some nuances of light smokiness, in a strange way, are available; like perhaps burnt rubber and ozone as much as wood char. The sour flavors include green oranges, lemon and especially lemon zest.

M - Lighter of body and very refreshing.

D - Not very much like any Flanders Red I've had, but very good nonetheless. I feel like this was more akin to a Belgian Strong Pale in flavor, but that is a trivial thing.

04-26-2010 01:06:21 | More by ktrillionaire
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

4.43/5  rDev +18.4%

GLASS: Lindemans Flute
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 55 degrees
VINTAGE: 2009
Super thanks to chewy for this hook-up!

This is a clear copper colored liquid with very light hints of crimson. The small head of foam has a light tint of tan. The retention is actually pretty good, which was unexpected, and the lacing is fairly thick and lightly sticky.

The nose has a nice tartness to it, along with alot of oak notes. Lots of cherries/berries. A light presence of barnyard funk with a light showing of yeastiness.
The smell is actually very good, I think.

This is not nearly as tart as the nose prepped me for. It still has a very nice tartness to it though, don't get me wrong. The barnyard funk/yeastiness is a little more forward which gives a nice balance to the tartness. The oak notes meld very nicely. There is a good deal of berry/cherry presence, mostly tart, but some sweet hints are also spotted. A light spiciness hits about mid-palate. Alcohol is not tasted, but this has a sherry-like warming effect to it. The finish is very dry and almost completely disappears from your palate, in seconds.

This has a medium body with a mild level of carbonation. It is smooth and tasty, even though it has a slight puckering effect to it.

I find this to be very drinkable and quite enjoyable. I also think that it will benefit from some more cellar time, perhaps another 3-5 years. I wish I had more of it to test that theory with. Sadly, this is my only bottle.

02-09-2010 20:34:04 | More by coldmeat23
jdense

4.43/5  rDev +18.4%

12 oz. bottle obtained at HOTD Dock Sale after 550am arrival, sharing world class beers with hannont, akfaust, Kilt Man and the rest of the daredevils who make this one of the world's great early morning beer tastings. Poured into glass provided by The Beer Goddess so I can properly appreciate odor and color.

Copper reddish body ( a bit of chill haze to start) semi-opaque (yeasty) body, and as with all HOTD beers except Blue Dot, minimally carbonated. However, there was a significant amount of carbonation clinging to sides of glass. Tart funky nose representative of the best of the style, cherries (Rainier, Lapin?) in the nose, medium bodied, not much hops to speak about. Tart lip-smacking finish. Though it will certainly benefit from a bit of aging, it taste pretty damn good right now.Not willing to push the envelope on drinkability right now, but this beer taste damn good, very tasty Given the fact it was just bottled about a month ago, I suspect the carbonation and funky edge will pick up a bit over time. Glad I have a slew of this stashed for my BA brothers smart enough to recognize that Alan Sprints (and his SoCal soul brother, Patirck Rue- now that's a collaboration I'd like to see!!) are on the cutting edge of West Coast Brewing. Very good now, and I suspect with a bit of patience, something to pull out and share with very very special friends. No doubt, The Beer Hunter is very pleased.

11-21-2009 04:41:12 | More by jdense
boatshoes

4.38/5  rDev +17.1%

Received this as one of several astounding extras in a trade with Pawel awhile back. He really blew my socks off in that one and I owe him still!

Appearance- I have to say, I was not expecting a beer of this style to be a gusher, but as soon as I popped the cap, I had beer gushing out of the 12oz bottle. My luck hasn't been too great with gushers lately and this is the second one I've had it a week. That being said, after it died down (I probably lost three or four ounces unfortunately), it poured a very nice shade of murky chestnut with about a finger of slightly off white head sitting on top. Surprisingly good head retention for a Flanders red and it stuck around for a bit before dying back to a ring around the edge and some patches. A fair amount of beading carbonation as well.

Smell- A lot of barrel comes through on the nose. I get smells of wood and vanilla mixed with some not too tart fruits as well. Maybe some pear and sweet cherries. Barrel is foremost for me here though and it smells quite nice.

Taste- Interesting take on a Flanders. Again, I get the barrel flavors of wood and even some vanilla first. This is followed again by sweeter cherries and pear/apple fruit flavors. Finishes on a very mild lactic note. I actually really liked the way in which the barrel blended with the fruit flavors; however, the tartness was minimal for the style.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is quite substantial and well carbonated for the style but in no way overdone. Drinkability was great on this and I'm really sorry I lost the ounces that I did to the gushing, could have easily polished off a couple of these.

Overall, not the most traditional take on a Flanders red but very well done. Closest I could come to approximating it would probably be to compare it to Reinart Wild Ale, but I much preferred this. Unfortunate that it was a gusher, and I hope to try more of this in the future.

05-27-2010 22:08:24 | More by boatshoes
portia99

4.35/5  rDev +16.3%

12oz bottle generously received from hoppymcgee in our ongoing battle to one-up each other with quality beer in a series of awesome, un-negotiated, back and forth trades. This is one I was beginning to think I'd never see, so very happy to pull this one out of the box today. Thanks Greg! Poured into a gold rimmed Buzzards Bay stemmed glass.

A - Minor gusher from the bottle...lost a couple of drops, but my cat-like reflexes managed to get the rest into the glass. Pours a dirty, yeasty, brown with a minor reddish tint. Three fingers of dense, whipped creamy tan foam sits atop the beer for a good long time, slowly fizzing away to leave tons and tons of thick foamy lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - Straight out of the bottle, on the pour, I got a giant hit of oak. After settling into the glass, I get lots of cherry fruitiness, some lactic sourness with mild acetic overtones, a big hit of oak, a general tartnesss, and I think some mild funk (could be the oak fooling me a little bit). Overall, a bit of surgary sweetness in the aroma. Very interesting and complex.

T - Lactic sourness up front, rather mild in comparison to the aroma. Smooth, bready, malty base underneath everything else going on. Major oakiness on top of the base - very noticeable, but in a good way...kinda sets the stage. Mild horseblankety funkiness and medium level sour cherry flavors in the middle. Lactic and lightly acetic sourness as in the aroma. Overall, woodier than most other Flanders red ales I've had...a slight change of pace, and an enjoyable one.

M - Pretty thin in body, bordering on watery, although some residual sugars buoy the body a little bit and give it a slightly thicker feel. Carbonation is a bit light also, and very creamy...expected a little bit stronger carbonation level. Big woody aftertaste in this one.

D - An excellent beer that I'm glad to be able to try. One of the more noticeable oaky wood flavors I've gotten out of any beer. Works in this one, although some might find it a bit heavy handed. This is a style that I really enjoy and this is a fine example...perhaps a bit on the fringes of the style, but well worth seeking out.

07-29-2010 00:14:39 | More by portia99
Shanonbanana

4.33/5  rDev +15.8%

2009 vintage bottle poured into a tulip glass at Hair of the Dog Tasting room.

Appearance- Orange-red colour; soft, off-white head with nice lacing.

Smell- Sour fruit such as cherry or a sour stone fruit like apricot or plum.

Taste- Sharp bitterness to start with, which immediately smooths out into a pleasant sour fruit flavour. Finishes with a mild tart aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Light to medium carbonation; still pleasantly smooth despite the bubbles.

Drinkability- Wonderful on a hot day. This is what my husband and I would fondly call a porch-sipping beer.

08-29-2010 23:02:36 | More by Shanonbanana
tpd975

4.3/5  rDev +15%

A: Pours a nice hazy orange hue with a nice white head. Medium retention but no lace.

S: Nice tart aromas, lots of cherry, sweet tarts and light oak.

T: Very mild approachable sour. That being said it is not weak. There is a perfect yet subtle balance between cherry, crush sweet tarts, fresh oak, and brett.

M: Lightly caronbated, yet crisp and smooth. Very mild acidic hint.

D: Very. nicely crafted sour. Not for the extreme sour freaks, but for those who like an approachable sour it is a winner.

02-07-2010 22:19:35 | More by tpd975
Reino

4.28/5  rDev +14.4%

*Flanders Red is one of my favorite styles, with Rodenbach Grand Cru being the pinnacle example in my book. I probably should wait a month or three to review this, but what the hell.

Appearance- Poured recklessly into my Duchesse glass, Michael is a beautiful color. Tough to describe, but I'll go with ruby-red. Like most freshly bottled HotD brews, Michael has no head except for watery bubbles that emerge from my vigorous pour, and head straight to the side of my glass.

Smell- Very nice, tart fruit aromas of orange, dark cherry, and green grapes. I also get some soft chocolate notes in the background along with a nice amount of oak. Not sure if it's the mix of all these complex aromas, but I get a tiny bit of alcohol heat, which is surprising at 6.2%, but compliments everything quite well. The more I dig my nose in, the more I think it might be a pine smell instead of alcohol. Enjoyable either way.

Taste- My tongue is greeted with a nice tartness and the complex fruits from the nose. Also like the smell, I'm picking up oak and pine. Some tannins are definitely lending some astringency along with the sourness. The finish is a lingering blend of dark cherries, sour apple and chocolate with a tiny bit of vanilla. Quite interesting and complex mix of flavors going on. I feel like Flanders Red is one of the toughest styles to pin down the flavors of, especially when someone like Alan is putting his own take on it.

MF- Medium bodied that probably feels heavier than it is due to the lack of carbonation. The acid helps make up for the missing bubbles, and a Flanders shouldn't be highly carbonated anyways. The mouthfeel is much like an acid forward red wine, which I'm cool with. I'm sure some carbonation and more sourness will come with time, bumping up this score.

Drinkability- A complex, slow sipper that would go great with the right meal and is very good on it's own like I'm enjoying it now. Again, I think more time giving the beer more carbonation would bump up this score. The rest of mine will be sitting in the cellar for awhile.

11-17-2009 03:10:27 | More by Reino