Michael - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

good

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Flanders Red Ale |  6.20% ABV

Michael is a Flanders Red, made in memory of Michael Jackson. The Beer was Brewed in January of 2007, and aged in American oak and Sherry barrels since then. It is just over 6% alcohol, made with Organic Pilsner, Vienna and Munich malts and fermented with a variety of yeast and bacteria.

Released November 2009 & Fall 2012.

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 10-17-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
sweemzander

4.65/5  rDev +24.3%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. 2009 vintage on the front label. Big thanks to domtronzero for the trade!

(A)- Pours a deep reddish mahogany color that produced a good frothy off-white head.

(S)- A wonderful nose of dry hay barnyard funk in front of a lactic-like cranberry fruit tartness. Funky, but a joy to smell.

(T)- Very similar to the smell only a tad backwards. A very potent sour vinegar and lactic acid-like bite in the forefront. A dry hay and barnyard funk in the background with some fruit-like notes of some sort. Sour, but oh-so-good!

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Very funky and sour, but I like it. Plus, the two are balanced well together not making one overpower the other. It still has a serious bite that is not for the average palate.

(D)- Wow, this one surprised me. A great example of the style in my opinion. Tastes great and has all that funk/sourness I am beginning to enjoy/crave. I would love to snag a few more of these to see how it evolves age-wise.

09-07-2010 17:34:31 | More by sweemzander
Shanonbanana

Oregon

4.33/5  rDev +15.8%

2009 vintage bottle poured into a tulip glass at Hair of the Dog Tasting room.

Appearance- Orange-red colour; soft, off-white head with nice lacing.

Smell- Sour fruit such as cherry or a sour stone fruit like apricot or plum.

Taste- Sharp bitterness to start with, which immediately smooths out into a pleasant sour fruit flavour. Finishes with a mild tart aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Light to medium carbonation; still pleasantly smooth despite the bubbles.

Drinkability- Wonderful on a hot day. This is what my husband and I would fondly call a porch-sipping beer.

08-29-2010 23:02:36 | More by Shanonbanana
Docer

Washington

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Had a 12oz. bottle at their new tasting room...

- Opened with a pop... certainly a foamer... foamed over on the counter. Golden, orange, red, and brown... cloudy... nice fluffy foamy head... settles for the drinking nicely.

- Nice sour tangy fruit notes... light spice, floral notes... ester, berry currants...

- Great sweet, lightly malty.... tangy sour... currants, fig, caramel.... certainly a nice sour... hard to explain all the world of flavors..

- Light bodied.... slightly dry... well carbonated.

- Overall a very nice sour, and I couldn't expect more from such a fine brewer.

08-22-2010 23:47:38 | More by Docer
BarrytheBear

Wisconsin

1.73/5  rDev -53.7%

Massively carbonated Michael...huh? More to follow...

Sweet and tart band aidy goodness....actually the highlight of this beer, which isn't saying much. However, there is a sneaking, crawling, feisty little headache blast that looms like the alcoholic cousin everyone simultaneously fears and reveres in an indescribable way.

And...our downhill journey begins....or continues. What is happening here? Something may have died and I'm not sure who to call.

Say it ain't so. The first HotD beer that I haven't enjoyed. Weirdly under carbonated despite the fluff in the glass. Like milwaukeeclassic huffing rubber cement in his punky, I'm a North Cackolacan sort of way. Headache upon headache, upon band aids gone wrong with an unpleasant finish not unlike inhaling the Great Salt Lake.

What an absolute mess.

08-21-2010 06:25:22 | More by BarrytheBear
Jmoore50

Nevada

3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

Opened this bottle up on a nice Summer afternoon and it came out like Ole Faithful. Not much was lost, but the dogs sure did like licking it up.

The beer was poured into a nice tulip glass, the dark center of the beer appeared hazy with a very dark ruby color. The beer had a lot of 'floaters' and had no clearity. It had a very fluffy pink head that coated the sides of the glass with a very nice lace. It also left some residue that looked like bits of fruit.

Once the bottle started gushing out the aroma that filled the air was amazing. Really strong fruit notes, light vinegar, some must and wet hay. The fruit notes on this were outstanding, strawberry and cherry being the strongest.

The taste left something to be desired. There were great upfront sweetness, some nice tart 'flanders style' vinegar and lactic tastes, but it left an aftertaste that was unpleasant, like some stale cardboard. This beer has been sitting for a while and I am sure the fruit notes would be stronger when fresh, but Hair of the Dog is known for their beers aging very well. Not sure if I would be sitting on this one for very long.

The mid palate has a great tart flavor with up front sweetness shining through. It has a good level of carbonation and it does have a complex mouthfeel, but it has after flavors that are a bit off that make it less enjoyable. Mildly astringent with acidic vinegar notes, this is just above average.

A good beer overall, nothing great. I was very glad that I got the chance to try it, been looking for this one for a long time.

J

08-07-2010 19:57:14 | More by Jmoore50
portia99

4.35/5  rDev +16.3%

12oz bottle generously received from hoppymcgee in our ongoing battle to one-up each other with quality beer in a series of awesome, un-negotiated, back and forth trades. This is one I was beginning to think I'd never see, so very happy to pull this one out of the box today. Thanks Greg! Poured into a gold rimmed Buzzards Bay stemmed glass.

A - Minor gusher from the bottle...lost a couple of drops, but my cat-like reflexes managed to get the rest into the glass. Pours a dirty, yeasty, brown with a minor reddish tint. Three fingers of dense, whipped creamy tan foam sits atop the beer for a good long time, slowly fizzing away to leave tons and tons of thick foamy lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - Straight out of the bottle, on the pour, I got a giant hit of oak. After settling into the glass, I get lots of cherry fruitiness, some lactic sourness with mild acetic overtones, a big hit of oak, a general tartnesss, and I think some mild funk (could be the oak fooling me a little bit). Overall, a bit of surgary sweetness in the aroma. Very interesting and complex.

T - Lactic sourness up front, rather mild in comparison to the aroma. Smooth, bready, malty base underneath everything else going on. Major oakiness on top of the base - very noticeable, but in a good way...kinda sets the stage. Mild horseblankety funkiness and medium level sour cherry flavors in the middle. Lactic and lightly acetic sourness as in the aroma. Overall, woodier than most other Flanders red ales I've had...a slight change of pace, and an enjoyable one.

M - Pretty thin in body, bordering on watery, although some residual sugars buoy the body a little bit and give it a slightly thicker feel. Carbonation is a bit light also, and very creamy...expected a little bit stronger carbonation level. Big woody aftertaste in this one.

D - An excellent beer that I'm glad to be able to try. One of the more noticeable oaky wood flavors I've gotten out of any beer. Works in this one, although some might find it a bit heavy handed. This is a style that I really enjoy and this is a fine example...perhaps a bit on the fringes of the style, but well worth seeking out.

07-29-2010 00:14:39 | More by portia99
sholland119

3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

Thanks to unclejedi for the opportunity to share two bottles. Had this one on 7/4/10.

A-One bottle was moderately carbonated. One bottle was dead flat. So we mixed the two. Pour is a clear amber with a tinge of rust. As expected from the carbonation issue, a few bubbles but no head at all.

S-Nicely oaky with a fair amount of sour notes. Sour cherry is predominant with some oak and some mustiness.

T-Tasty. Medium sour with lots of red fruit notes. Cherry with some raspberry as well, maybe a hint of green apple. I prefer this style to be a few shades closer to vinegar but still some good tartness.

M-Suffers from undercarbonation. Quite the opposite of the experience of others.

D-Quite pleasant to drink. I'd love to try another one.

We were very excited to get to try this one. It was still in the barrels when we did the HotD "tour" a couple of years back. QC issues are not unexpected with this brewery, much as we love the beers. So no surprise one was flat.

HV

07-08-2010 14:15:12 | More by sholland119
BARFLYB

4.22/5  rDev +12.8%

12oz bottle split with Oglmcdgl, sent by some trader out west. Review #700. This one goes out to Michael B (my best friend), Michael Jackson (The beer hunter) and Michael Jackson ( My 1st words) Rest In Peace guys. From notes.

No gushing but small rising foam, Michael creates a 50 50 split of a lighter shade of red mixed with bright orange creating a semi pinkish look towards the light. With a nice steady pour just a skinny cap of loose whiteness, barely covering the surface. Nice bubbles when agitated but no stickage on glass.

Not as sweet in the nose like a Belgian flanders and less vinegar, thank god. Tart up front with fruit, sour cherries, berries and a small lemon sourness. Oak barrel is light as is the sherry. A bit of earth, small traces of vinegar, barely though.

Taste is tart cherries up front followed by the other aforementioned fruits plus orange. Lemon comes out a bit more than scent creating another layer. Dark red berries and The oak tannins come through nice while the sherry comes in lighter. A small amount of apple with warmth. A bit of caramel from the pilsner malt, a light sweetness Small vinegar, a bit of grass at the end.

This is slightly acidic with a nice tartness/sourness, but nothing tounge buckling. A spritz of carb rushes down this lighter than medium bodied beer. A fruity flanders red and a unique one.

The after taste is kind of odd and earthy with the berries sticking around a bit. This is quite drinkable, but not my favorite flanders. I drank this kinda quick, so it goes down easy if ya like the sour, for some reason i did not want this to get to warm. An interesting interpretation of the style, this should do something in a year or two in a bottle, Cheers to Allen for tackeling another style.

06-15-2010 02:20:57 | More by BARFLYB
boatshoes

4.38/5  rDev +17.1%

Received this as one of several astounding extras in a trade with Pawel awhile back. He really blew my socks off in that one and I owe him still!

Appearance- I have to say, I was not expecting a beer of this style to be a gusher, but as soon as I popped the cap, I had beer gushing out of the 12oz bottle. My luck hasn't been too great with gushers lately and this is the second one I've had it a week. That being said, after it died down (I probably lost three or four ounces unfortunately), it poured a very nice shade of murky chestnut with about a finger of slightly off white head sitting on top. Surprisingly good head retention for a Flanders red and it stuck around for a bit before dying back to a ring around the edge and some patches. A fair amount of beading carbonation as well.

Smell- A lot of barrel comes through on the nose. I get smells of wood and vanilla mixed with some not too tart fruits as well. Maybe some pear and sweet cherries. Barrel is foremost for me here though and it smells quite nice.

Taste- Interesting take on a Flanders. Again, I get the barrel flavors of wood and even some vanilla first. This is followed again by sweeter cherries and pear/apple fruit flavors. Finishes on a very mild lactic note. I actually really liked the way in which the barrel blended with the fruit flavors; however, the tartness was minimal for the style.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is quite substantial and well carbonated for the style but in no way overdone. Drinkability was great on this and I'm really sorry I lost the ounces that I did to the gushing, could have easily polished off a couple of these.

Overall, not the most traditional take on a Flanders red but very well done. Closest I could come to approximating it would probably be to compare it to Reinart Wild Ale, but I much preferred this. Unfortunate that it was a gusher, and I hope to try more of this in the future.

05-27-2010 22:08:24 | More by boatshoes
oglmcdgl

4.22/5  rDev +12.8%

12oz bottle split with my boy onix1agr and poured into duvel tulips. Heres to mike.

A- a hiss when opening good thing I had heard thing about a carb problem. Soon enough a small gush good thing I had the glasses ready. Two fingers of off white head that settles to a light skin. Rusty orange in color with a glow from the slight haze.

S- oh boy this smells like heaven. Big time sour funky oak, wild flowers and honey. Hints of eucaliptus and cut grass.

T- well this is a complex brew and the layers of flavors are daunting. Oak out front with the tannins and sour. Fruit and funk with a earthy herbal quality. Wood and lots of it, toasty and vinous. Some medicinal and bandaid like touches after a while.

M- medium to light in body and about the same in carb. Things really settled down in the carb department as the beer warms. Starts out juicy a puckering and finishes so bone dry you can feel the wood on your tongue. I bit of heat but that might be from the sherry barrel and not the abv.

D- this is a serious brew and the flavor and bugs will take its toll on you. My mind and palate are blown.

05-16-2010 03:19:55 | More by oglmcdgl
urwithdave

4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

A big thanks to a generous trader for throwing this in as an extra.

A- I don't know how this made it from Oregon to Florida safely. I can't believe the bottle didn't explode. When I opened the bottle, beer flew from the bottle. It was like a freaking geyser. It reminded me of back in the day when I would shotgun a busch light. I immediately stuck the bottle in my mouth (sorry Grant) in an attempt to not lose any more beer. After the madness subsided I poured the beer into my ccb snifter. It was almost burgundy in colr with shades of orange. It had a dirk diggler head. It was massive. Solid retention and stupid amount of lacing left behind. There is some sediment floating around also.

A- tart cherries and raspberries with some smokey oak. A slight hint of vinegar is present.

T- granny smith apples and tart dried cherries. There is def some oak in the mix. A little vinegar taste is present, however, it isn't overpowering. There is a slight funky tartness that I'm really liking.

M- very acidic but not in a my enamel has been stripped from my teeth kind of way. Thin to medium bodied with a high level of carbonation.

D- I really enjoyed this beer. I could drink quite a few of these without hesitation. Get it if u can, but be careful when opening this thing cuz u could lose an eye.

05-06-2010 02:26:07 | More by urwithdave
womencantsail

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks to Jacob for breaking this one open.

This one is a gusher so be sure to have a glass in hand and be ready to pour.

A: The pour itself is amber in color with some floating yeast particles and a massive off-white head.

S: Certainly plenty of oak in the nose along with some pears, black cherry, and a subdued lactic tartness.

T: This one is not all that sour, especially for a Flanders Red. Some nice acidity and tannic oak character along with a really surprising fruitiness. I pick up pineapple, green apple, pears, and cherries.

M: The body is medium with a very high level of carbonation, but this works for these sour styles.

D: A pretty easy drinking beer, and I was interested to pick out the nuances of the beer. I wonder how this will get with age.

05-03-2010 06:14:29 | More by womencantsail
nickd717

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

Bottle shared at DLD 2010.

Pours a deep crimson color with a nicely formed off-white head.

Aroma is great - sour red berries and cherries with red wine and oak.

Flavor is also very good. Tart raspberry, cherry, and other fruit notes along with vinous flavors, vinegar, oak and sherry. Complex, and not too sour.

Dry and mildly acidic on the palate with medium body.

Overall an excellent Flemish red ale. About on par with The Bruery's Oude Tart.

05-03-2010 06:12:09 | More by nickd717
Gtreid

3.68/5  rDev -1.6%

Thanks to urwithdave for sharing this one. 12 oz. bottle poured into my CCB snifter. Let me start off by saying this was the definition of a gusher. As soon as the top was pried off an eruption of epic proportions occured.

A: Cloudy orangish red color. A massive cream color head appears and leaves behind some spidery lace.

A: Pretty nice sour aroma. I get sour cherries, maybe some raspberries, hints of grass and wood.

T: Again more sour fruit. Cherries, raspberries, apples, malt vinegar, and oak. A pretty nice funkiness shows up, then I get a weird twang at the back, not sure what it was, something was just a little off. It finishes dry and tart.

M: Very stingy and acidic. The overcarbonation makes this one rather sharp. Medium body.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is on the lower side, as are most sours for me, due to the high tartness. Overall, I liked this brew, but the extreme overcarbonation and the weird twang at the back of the throat are this brew's downfall. Good, not great. Skal.

05-01-2010 16:21:51 | More by Gtreid
ktrillionaire

4.45/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Beerzebub for the hook-up.

With this brew, Hair of the Dog has outdone themselves. This is perhaps the most unique brew I've ever tasted. Everything about it is unusual, except for the fact that it is another excellent offering from Hair of the Dog.

A - The appearance is unusual; it pours a rare hue of deep sandalwood with a persistent white head and big globs of lace.

S - Initially, the aroma is convincingly of dill pickles. As it airs out a bit, suggestions of a vegetable mélange are asserted, and solvent alcohol is slightly apparent. The strangest thing about this brew is that it has more vegetable nuances than fruity characteristics.

T - Bitter, sour, saucy, savory, saucy, tart and pungent; all in moderation. The taste is reminiscent of pipirrana, the Spanish pickled-cucumber-tomato-pepper salad. The flavor is as perplexing and unusual as any brew I've ever had. Some nuances of light smokiness, in a strange way, are available; like perhaps burnt rubber and ozone as much as wood char. The sour flavors include green oranges, lemon and especially lemon zest.

M - Lighter of body and very refreshing.

D - Not very much like any Flanders Red I've had, but very good nonetheless. I feel like this was more akin to a Belgian Strong Pale in flavor, but that is a trivial thing.

04-26-2010 01:06:21 | More by ktrillionaire
Arbitrator

2.8/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Chilled bottle into a glass. A gift from ramnuts, who trucked it down from Portland in December. Thanks, Frank!

A: This one took a lot of crap for being flat when it came out. Not the case here. It opened with a nice hiss and even gushed slightly, though slowly enough that we caught it in glasses and didn't spill a drop. It's a clear amber body, with great, long-lasting carbonation (streams of bubbles up the center of the glass). Its ample 1" head lasts and lasts, leaving great lacing and a substantial cap the entire time.

S: Lactic sourness, tart dark cherries, tannins / cherry skins. Some caramel and brown sugar.

T: As the nose suggests, it's quite sour, primarily with cherries. Some lemon is found. Cherry skins and oak contribute a tannic bite. Sweetness comes from light caramel and brown sugar (I honestly expected more). There is a slightly acetic bite to the finish. I see from the description that this was aged in sherry barrels, but I detected no traces of that in the taste. Overall it's neither as polished nor as complex as I'd expect from a good beer in this style, especially from a brewer of Alan's caliber. I kept waiting for the flavor to "open up" and it never did.

M: It's light-bodied, with moderate carbonation (most came out in the pour). A slightly acetic bite that gives the beer the impression of dryness.

D: It's a good Flanders Red, but after thinking about it, I prefer Oude Tart quite a bit more. I enjoyed drinking it, but it's nothing to write home about.

04-07-2010 21:25:12 | More by Arbitrator
rpstevens

New Hampshire

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

Shared at a recent tasting, poured into a mini goblet. The beer pours a light red, almost orange, definitely lighter than expected. There is a thin white head and a little lacing left on the walls of the glass.

The smell is tart fruits, cherries and lemons mostly. There is a healthy dose of caramel, brown sugar and some sweeter fruits as well, that is nicely complimented by an oak component.

The beer tastes much sweeter than the smell. The sweet caramel, brown sugar and sweet cherry component are first and foremost on the tongue. The sweetness is followed by some oak, some tart cherry and green apple and a hint of vinegar. The sweet characteristics of the beer really overshadow all the tartness and oak, I would like it to be a little more balanced.

The beer is light bodied and well carbonated but it's almost too thin. There is a nice dry finish and the alcohol is well hidden. I was a little disappointed by this beer, normally everything from HOTD I have is top notch. Maybe some more time in the bottle would benefit this one.

03-16-2010 17:05:54 | More by rpstevens
wagenvolks

3.7/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to midaszero for the share on his recent visit to Austin.

Michael pours with a murky, iced tea hue that turns a rusted auburn color at the core. Big, soapy bubbles collect at the edge of the glass, while a wispy head is slow to form in the center. Very good nose, with lots of vanilla, wood, and sour apple esters coming through. Bits of caramel in the background add a hint of sweetness.

The flavor has a slightly funky tartness in the beginning that fades to a semi-oxidized finish of wet paper and mineral water. A pleasant cherry-like fruitiness hits in the middle, but the finish is just odd...borders on sweaty gym socks, but doesn't quite offend the palate to that extent. Mouthfeel is thin and juicy with a metallic-medicinal twang and low carbonation level. All in all, an interesting beer that I'm glad I got to try (thanks again Josh!), but not something I would seek out.

03-01-2010 04:12:34 | More by wagenvolks
rhinos00

Colorado

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

Received this as a very generous extra from avalon68. Thanks Frank! Split with pecorasc. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into tulip glasses.

A- Pours a light, burgundy color. Semi-cloudy. Produced a fingers width of white, soapy head. Reduced to a thin ring around the glass.

S- A hodge podge of aromas that seemed to work quite well. There was a prevalent sweet orange, dark cherry aroma along with a subtle acetic character. Plenty of oak to go around with a tiny bit of alcohol in the finish.

T- Much like the aroma, but nowhere near as successful. The presence of oak barrel is constant that is noticeable from beginning to the end. Would not be too bad except that it had a really "raw" characteristic to it. Also picked up on some oranges and dark cherries. Finished with oak and slight bit of tartness. Lot of different components going on here, just never meshed well together.

M- The only carbonation felt was a bit of prickliness on the throat as the beer was swallowed. As the beer sat on the palate, it was extremely flat and lent a thicker feel to the beer.

D- Given the lack of cohesion, this was one was a little hard to drink. I had to motivate myself to take the next sip each time...not exactly what you are looking for in a beer.

Overall, I admire the work that went into making this beer, but it's a shame this was made in honor of Michael Jackson, as it this was a big let down. Maybe next time...

02-16-2010 05:23:27 | More by rhinos00
Pecorasc

Oregon

3.63/5  rDev -2.9%

Cheers to Mr. Jackson. A beer that I've really been looking forward to trying. Rhinos00 graciously shared this with me. Poured into a couple of tulips after being left out for about an hour. No indication of being under-carbonated judging by the hiss and wisp of smoke.

A- A hazy deep amber to ruby-red with a slightly off-white head that never exceeds being described as thin, except at the perimeter. Lace is thrown up the side of the glass in a single arch. Bubbles pop randomly around the surface. Little carbonation, except when swirled. My partner-in-crime's glass, receiving the first pour, tells a different story with a clearer version. Slightly above average, but with a disappointing head formation.

S- Virgin American Oak is very intense and obviously dominant at the outset. Red wine is evident in the background along with a small amount of vinegar and a moderate alcohol character. Tart cherries and oranges complement the oak nicely. "Cherry Starburst" come to mind. Interesting, layered, love the oak, but more acidity than expected (even in style).

T- Initially, a moderately assertive, sour, acidic pucker, followed quickly by a newspaper or wet cardboard flavor at the front of the mouth. Just as quickly followed by a good amount of alcohol and a lingering sour-oak character. The oak is raw and the sourness is a bit unrefined, but ends with a refreshing aftertaste of oak and warming alcohol. No acetic vinegar found in other Flanders Red Ales. Interesting mix of flavors: a great orchestra with no "conductor."

M- Under-carbonated except when swallowed: mullet-like, with a flatness in the front and an unexpected activity in the back. The oak may even be adding to the sensation of carbonation with the dryness it provides. Could benefit from being sweeter or bigger bodied, with much more carbonation. More carbonation my just be the "maestro..."

D- The under-carbonation gives this offering a flat, watery flavor that strangely adds to the drinkability, although probably not past a glass or two. However, somewhat confusing flavors make this not desirable past much more than one. Based on the brewery alone I would give it another shot with age (even though this already has three years from brew date). Great brewery from which I will seek all beer; you can't win them all.

02-16-2010 04:37:21 | More by Pecorasc
Halcyondays

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

From a 12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours an orange/copper, nice head per the style.

S: Citrus and Brett notes, nice.

T: Orange/citrus predominates. The hops are clear here adding some northwest flavour if not truly to style, but nice to see a little change of pace.

M: Dry, medium-bodied, nice acidity/moderate intensity in this beer.

D: I liked it, I think it's a solid effort, maybe a little too much hops in a Flanders Red, but hey, I love this style, and I like that a Western US brewer is making it.

02-13-2010 05:54:12 | More by Halcyondays
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

4.43/5  rDev +18.4%

GLASS: Lindemans Flute
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 55 degrees
VINTAGE: 2009
Super thanks to chewy for this hook-up!

This is a clear copper colored liquid with very light hints of crimson. The small head of foam has a light tint of tan. The retention is actually pretty good, which was unexpected, and the lacing is fairly thick and lightly sticky.

The nose has a nice tartness to it, along with alot of oak notes. Lots of cherries/berries. A light presence of barnyard funk with a light showing of yeastiness.
The smell is actually very good, I think.

This is not nearly as tart as the nose prepped me for. It still has a very nice tartness to it though, don't get me wrong. The barnyard funk/yeastiness is a little more forward which gives a nice balance to the tartness. The oak notes meld very nicely. There is a good deal of berry/cherry presence, mostly tart, but some sweet hints are also spotted. A light spiciness hits about mid-palate. Alcohol is not tasted, but this has a sherry-like warming effect to it. The finish is very dry and almost completely disappears from your palate, in seconds.

This has a medium body with a mild level of carbonation. It is smooth and tasty, even though it has a slight puckering effect to it.

I find this to be very drinkable and quite enjoyable. I also think that it will benefit from some more cellar time, perhaps another 3-5 years. I wish I had more of it to test that theory with. Sadly, this is my only bottle.

02-09-2010 20:34:04 | More by coldmeat23
tpd975

4.3/5  rDev +15%

A: Pours a nice hazy orange hue with a nice white head. Medium retention but no lace.

S: Nice tart aromas, lots of cherry, sweet tarts and light oak.

T: Very mild approachable sour. That being said it is not weak. There is a perfect yet subtle balance between cherry, crush sweet tarts, fresh oak, and brett.

M: Lightly caronbated, yet crisp and smooth. Very mild acidic hint.

D: Very. nicely crafted sour. Not for the extreme sour freaks, but for those who like an approachable sour it is a winner.

02-07-2010 22:19:35 | More by tpd975
ArrogantB

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev -7%

Not surprisingly this beer was a real gusher. It is cloudy red in color and smells not only sour but woody, tart, and a little plastic. The taste is odd, sour fruit but not really reminiscent of a flanders red. This almost reminds me of sui generis from Avery. Its kind of thin and the barrel seems to dominate the flavor but its still not a bad beer. It just doesn't seem to fit they flanders red style very well.

01-28-2010 03:57:13 | More by ArrogantB
FtownThrowDown

3.23/5  rDev -13.6%

Another bottle split courtesy of Unclejedi. This guy always floors me.
Pours a very murky, reddish brown in color. Actually looks like a little bit like rusty water. Not too appealing visually to be truthful with you.
Smell is tart and a bit floral. There's more of the tart character in the flavor. This is very smooth in regards to mouthfeel. There's a strong oak flavor in the finish of the beer. It's a decent beer, but I honestly had higher expectations for this beer.

01-24-2010 18:41:24 | More by FtownThrowDown