Apricot Fred - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

poor

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Strong Ale |  10.00% ABV

"Aged in French oak with Baird Family farms apricots for 17 months."

(Beer added by: TulipSnifter on 11-20-2010)
beefandbean22

11-19-2011 03:31:29 | More by beefandbean22
SonicAlligator

11-14-2011 23:55:53 | More by SonicAlligator
waltersrj

1.33/5  rDev -36.1%

I love HOTD beers and thought, "a soured Fred sounds awesome!" Not awesome...
Pour: Hazy orange, with small white head.
Nose: Nail polish, booze, and slight apricot.
Taste: a mouth puckering, ass kicking, super duty nail polish flavor from either infection, or the French oak, bugs, and what not. This is terrible and tasted like death. I drank the whole 3 oz taster, hoping to find something good.
Mouthfeel: thick and viscous Fred.

Overall: a beer that literally destroyed my palate for a day, my throat for a week ( it burned like Napalm), and my respect for HOTD for a little while. Why serve a beer (that's terrible) that I know you've tasted Alan?

01-12-2011 05:47:36 | More by waltersrj
HopHead84

2.45/5  rDev +17.8%

12/17/2010

On tap at Hair of the Dog. My entire review was just deleted (by me, on accident) so this will be brief. Aroma is of candied sugar, caramel, baked bread, oak, peach, alcohol, and acetone. Not as bad as I expected, but nail polish is hardly desirable. Flavor is peach, candied sugar, and a harsh astringent character from the combination or booze, peach, and acetone. Oak is drying on the palate and there's a powerful astringent character. Overall, hardly an improvement upon the base, but not as bad as I expected.

12-18-2010 01:04:48 | More by HopHead84
northwestmark

1.15/5  rDev -44.7%

Wow...this one I'll make you pucker up! The only thing to say about this beer is that its really the only hair of the dog beer I've ever not liked. Rose Cassis comes close, but still has some enjoyable elements.

This really does smell and taste like nail polish remover. It hurts going down. 2 of us could only finish 1.5oz. So tart, battery acid makeup, couldn't help but think that the beer was eating holes through the lining of my mouth.

Admittedly, I had read reviews before ordering it and had to try it for myself. I figured it couldn't be as bad as the reviews I had read. It is.

11-27-2010 22:59:38 | More by northwestmark
dragonWhale

1.73/5  rDev -16.8%

on tap at the HotD Tasting room. Excited to try this and the peach. Mercifully, these were served in 3 oz glasses (Which are adorable).
Orange and hazy, minimal head. Then comes the first whiff and it is a violent one. Acetone, acetic acid, vinegared blood. And yes, some apricots. Dangerous. It tastes like it smells, massacring the taste buds, looking for vengeance. Sent by Fred himself to rescue the tankards drank before, no doubt. My God. Between the 3 of us, we finished it, barely. I tried to pick out the best in the beer, but this was just not drinkable. A couple smallish sips when it had warmed were doable. There is apricot in here, but there needs to be more sweetness to balance out the acrid sourness of this beer.

11-25-2010 19:39:54 | More by dragonWhale
psiweaver

1.85/5  rDev -11.1%

Had this on tap at HOTD for the release of Matt/ Doggie Claws. Was excited to try this, but needless to say wasn't at all what i was expecting. It was very harsh, though got less so the more you drank of it. Very bitter and sharp unfortunately it didn't have that much apricot flavor and wasn't redeeming with funk or anything. I would stay away from this beer though i think it may just need more time.

11-22-2010 04:09:46 | More by psiweaver
seanthornton152

2.85/5  rDev +37%

On tap at Hair of the Dog tasting room - just finished the Peach Fred, now to tackle the Apricot...hmmm aged in french oak barrels for 17 months! Here we go

A - Dark orange, hue of golden grain

S - Very acidic, unusual oak scent, citrus fruits, candy sweetness

T - Huge acidic vinegar tastes up front, slight flavors of dried fruit, tartness starts to show, a bit of butter too

M - Light carbonation, medium body, tart

D - Such strong flavors, not much balance, unique for sure.

11-20-2010 06:09:10 | More by seanthornton152
hopsbreath

1.38/5  rDev -33.7%

Saw on Twitter today that this was on tap at the tasting room. Had to try it. Taster glasses only for $3. Why not?!

A: Looks like Fred. Amber in color with no head, collar or lacing. So far so good.

S: I'm not exaggerating when I say this smells a lot like nail polish remover. The touch of vinegar suggests its soured.

T: Butter flavor and burning astringent vinegar. This is really hard to drink. God its so hard to get past the smell.

M: Fizzy, carbonated. Not bad.

D: This is terrible! This is without a doubt the single worst beer I've ever had! If this is the final product whoa to beer geeks everywhere. I love Hair of the Dog but I will not be buying this again unless some major changes are made. Three ounces split two ways was way too much.

11-20-2010 01:42:51 | More by hopsbreath
TulipSnifter

2.05/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance: Cloudy burnt orange in color with no head.
Smell: Vinegar and nail polish remover. However, if I smell it long enough the apricot comes through.
Taste: Extremely tart. I taste tart apricots and vinegar... And nail polish remover.
Mouthfeel: It made me pucker a bit. I would probably say it's got a medium body and it isn't very syrupy.
Drinkability: For me, this one might be a little difficult to drink. I couldn't really finish the taster I shared with my husband. That is not a problem I typically have.

11-20-2010 01:35:01 | More by TulipSnifter