Greg - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

pDev: 15%
Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.50% ABV

An organic ale named after Greg Higgins of Higgins restaurant in downtown Portland. Greg is brewed without hops and makes use of the kambocha (green pumpkin) squash for about one-third of the total sugars, lending it a distinctly squashy, pumpkin taste. This beer is available on draft at Higgins, at the brewery and occasionally elsewhere in the Portland area.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 01-26-2003)
1.68/5  rDev -53.3%

Well, normally I don't read reviews of anything before I experience it because I am very protective of my own raw impressions. I like to take in everything as if it's the first time, and let my precious "inner voice" tell me what she thinks of a flick, a restaurant, a book, or in this case a beer.

After my opinion is formed, it's very gratifying to either validate or perhaps reconsider my impressions by reading other's--

And so when WRITING a review, I prefer not to read those who have gone before, lest I bend to popular opinion and diminish the earnest aspects of my own review.

In the case of Greg, however, I was compelled to read the other folks' because I felt so sure that although my pint of Greg was forgettable (on a good day), I also wondered if the keg I was drinking from was just simply beyond it's prime.

I am glad I read the others' reviews, as I see there were some positive nights out with Greg.

My experiece was that he was too caramelly- too candied and malted in a bad way. He sat limp and still in my glass, and really offered nothing to the exchange.

I tried to coddle him a bit- sip here, sip there... but I was just left with the impression that there was something really rotten beneath his candy-coated exterior. As he left me-- I could only say one thing about him "corny".

lostinyonkers, Dec 09, 2007
1.93/5  rDev -46.4%

On tap at the new taproom. The nose is all sugar, malt, vegetable matter, and phenols. A taste reminds me of mediocre homebrew, that stuff hippies call "beer" but is really just fermented sugar and herbs, hootch we call it. Not good, not something I would drink again.

I love HoTD, this beer makes me lose a little bit of my respect for Alan.

olympuszymurgus, Oct 01, 2010
2.48/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours muddy brownish with two finger big bubbly chalk white head, quick dissipation. Smell is squash, sweeter veggie, a bit earthy. Taste is bland, squash and veggies, sort of like a light bodied abbey ale, but sweet. Thin mouthfeel. Interesting and drinkable, but I don’t really want to try it again.

Smurf2055, Aug 07, 2013

bumchilly25, Jul 02, 2014

Mebuzzard, Aug 07, 2013

pmarlowe, Jul 16, 2012
3.45/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Higgin's Restaurant in Portland, Oregon.

Pours a hazy, iced-tea colored brew with a decently retained custard cap of foam. Aroma is a decent blend of juicy tropical fruits and spicy yeast. Apparently, no hops are used to make this brew, and it "smells" accordingly.

The flavor lacks the hops as well. I actually had to adjust my score accordingly, because the bartender told me this was a "Double IPA"...as I reviewed the beer all I could think was "Where are the HOPS??!!". Anyway, the flavor is a nice blend of tropical fruits, pale caramel malts, and, again, zesty yeast notes. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and uninspiring. I won't be revisiting "Greg" again, but I haven't lost faith in HOTD...I immediately ordered a "Fred" from the bottle and was in beer nirvana.

wagenvolks, Jul 17, 2008