Greg - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 01-26-2003

An organic ale named after Greg Higgins of Higgins restaurant in downtown Portland. Greg is brewed without hops and makes use of the kambocha (green pumpkin) squash for about one-third of the total sugars, lending it a distinctly squashy, pumpkin taste. This beer is available on draft at Higgins, at the brewery and occasionally elsewhere in the Portland area.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
1.96/5  rDev -46.6%

On tap at the new taproom. The nose is all sugar, malt, vegetable matter, and phenols. A taste reminds me of mediocre homebrew, that stuff hippies call "beer" but is really just fermented sugar and herbs, hootch we call it. Not good, not something I would drink again.

I love HoTD, this beer makes me lose a little bit of my respect for Alan.

4.08/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured as a barleywine by Redbones.
Poured a sparkly orange-brown with little to no head and very little lacing on the snifter. The aroma was peaches, caramel, and citrus. On first smell I thought they had poured me a Belgian triple. The taste was candi sugar, caramel malt, apricots, citrus, and lemon grass with hints of biscuit malt and hops. The finish was crisp with some alcohol warmth and spice flavors. Coriander and allspice perhaps. The aftertaste was alcohol warmth and spicy sweetness. The mouthfeel was smooth and refreshing.
Overall an interesting product. I learned afterwards that it was made with squash. Must have been Delicata, Red Kuri, or Sweet Dumpling. Sweet with alcohol warmth and a fruitiness; I enjoyed it. I only wish that it had a little more carbonation to add another layer of complexity.

1.7/5  rDev -53.7%

Well, normally I don't read reviews of anything before I experience it because I am very protective of my own raw impressions. I like to take in everything as if it's the first time, and let my precious "inner voice" tell me what she thinks of a flick, a restaurant, a book, or in this case a beer.

After my opinion is formed, it's very gratifying to either validate or perhaps reconsider my impressions by reading other's--

And so when WRITING a review, I prefer not to read those who have gone before, lest I bend to popular opinion and diminish the earnest aspects of my own review.

In the case of Greg, however, I was compelled to read the other folks' because I felt so sure that although my pint of Greg was forgettable (on a good day), I also wondered if the keg I was drinking from was just simply beyond it's prime.

I am glad I read the others' reviews, as I see there were some positive nights out with Greg.

My experiece was that he was too caramelly- too candied and malted in a bad way. He sat limp and still in my glass, and really offered nothing to the exchange.

I tried to coddle him a bit- sip here, sip there... but I was just left with the impression that there was something really rotten beneath his candy-coated exterior. As he left me-- I could only say one thing about him "corny".

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last