Ruth - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

poor

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

A light and refreshing American Ale, made with pale malt and crystal hops. She was inspired by my Mother's Mother, Granny Ruth because of her love and support. Don't be Ruthless. Have one on Granny.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ruth Alström Bros
Maudite

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

I was surprised in reading these reviews... It was definitely different than I expected, but enjoyably so. I would have rated it higher, but I felt the nose and taste were uncharacteristic of an APA, so had to knock points off for that...

A- Golden, near yellowish. Great pure white head about two fingers, stayed around for a good long while, thick sticky lacing. Big bubbles throughout the head and body. A pretty sight.

S- Citric/floral. Very pungent and wheaty in the nose. I poured this not sure what the style was (the bottle reads All-American Ale), and immediately thought it was a wheat beer. It was sweetness, some honey and fresh flowers, fresh hops (Cascades?)...I really enjoyed this nose, but it wasn't what I would call an APA, to be sure.

T- The onset was citric, quite acidic, tart, bitter, more aromatic hop than bitter hop, lemon zesty, floral. It had that definite wheat crunch, a summery, citrusy bite. It made my lower jaw tingle and pucker. It was quite a sour brew, but I loved it. It was a pleasant surprise, and a great tasting beer. It just wasn't an American Pale. It was an American Wheat... Makes me wonder if it is miscategorized?

M- Big, punchy, again citric. Makes the mouth feel tingly and alive. Has the same feeling you would expect from a tart wheat beer.

D- I could drink plenty of these, especially with the warming weather. Again, uncharacteristic of the style, definitely sour and tart, but enjoyable, thirst quenching...

03-14-2008 00:40:01 | More by Maudite
largadeer

3.95/5  rDev +11%

Infected bottle. Pours an ultra-hazy blond with a solid one finger head. The nose is fairly mild, revealing a bit of citrus, green apple and floral hops. Nice balance of crisp American hops and citric sourness in the taste. A hint of oxidation/wet paper appears briefly before the finish, which is ultimately washed away by the mild but lingering sourness. The infection worked in this beer's favor. Light-bodied, crisp and drinkable. An odd case where infection improved the beer.

03-14-2008 00:10:17 | More by largadeer
Murchmac

1.2/5  rDev -66.3%

Worst beer ever. I slugged through half of this beer and threw it away.

I thought maybe I had an infected batch until I read other peoples reviews and they said it tasted sour.

If you like sours, this beer you would like.

As for me, it tastes like fermented urine. I havent had a beer this bad in a long time. Drain Pour.

03-08-2008 05:32:47 | More by Murchmac
demcorhip

Ontario (Canada)

3.45/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

OK, this beer has likely seen better days, was picked up on sale and just couldnt pass it up (although i did pass up on some 2.99 a 6 pack of blue moon pumpkin and some SN summerfest this weekend). No bottling date or or best buy info on the bottle is making this fair game for reviewing.

Looks great, big whipped and pillowy off white head piled on top of a deep, golden straw coloured brew bordering on amber. Excellent retention, vigorously and finely carbonated. Big sticky gobs of lace cling to the inside of my pint glass.

Floral and grassy, creamy and bready, as well as fruity esters of golden pear and red apple greet my nose.

Surprisingly tart and somewhat cidery. Pale malts with a nice bready quality and a hint of biscuit and grain husk present. Malty flavours give way to fruity esters as in the nose. Finishes with pronounced tartness and floral lemongrass.

Light bodied, spritzy, and pretty well balanced. Funky tartness adds some complexity to this well balanced if somewhat boring ale. Somewhat vinous, likely due at least in part to the fact that this bottle is past its prime.

Somwhat oxidized, the tartness with hint of funkiness almost make this saison like. An interesting brew even at this stage. Wonder how my sample compares to a fresh offering. This beer would be well suited to summer drinking, will be nice to have another shot at it on a hot summer's day...

02-20-2008 14:27:30 | More by demcorhip
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a cloudy bright golden. Highly carbonated I barely fit the beer into a 16 oz glass as the head was huge, white and fluffy. Aroma sends out some hops, grassy, fresh hay, mild diacetyl, some apple and some yeasty esters. Taste follows the nose. Reminds me more of a wheat beer than a pale ale. Not bad, not what I was expecting, but not bad.

02-09-2008 01:17:48 | More by johnnnniee
JDV

2.25/5  rDev -36.8%

Smell is very mild, but like a toned down hefeweizen/belgian with that light spiced typical hef smell and some earthy tone and light fruitiness. Pours cloudy goldish like a hef too. Quickly fading head. Taste is mild, bland and like a earthy hefeweizen. For as much as I heard raves about this brewery, this is a pretty crappy tasting beer and a big letdown. Wouldn't recommend this, and although it's drinkable, its not particularly good. I dumped the last half.

02-06-2008 22:58:09 | More by JDV
drseamus

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

A: Cloudy amber body with a white head.

S: Fruity appley aroma.

T: Nice appley fruit aroma but a bit thin in flavor. Could use more intensity. Fairly sweet beer.

M: Pretty light bodied but not enough carbonation.

D: Not a bad drinking beer with food or on a hot day, but not one I'd really go back to for a tasty brew.

01-28-2008 03:47:11 | More by drseamus
RblWthACoz

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a fully fogged in orange gold with a nice sized off white head. Nose is sugar and funk. Fruit skins are there as well. Flavor is very hoppy, but kind of inky as well a bit? There is a real interesting edge to this one. Lots of funk. That yeast seems to be killing it a bit though. Interesting, but too much so for it's own good. There is a fairly high carbonation coming here and the big bubbles just attack the tongue. The liquid feel is kind of odd with a weird coating of the mouth, like I just took a mouthful of liquid medicine. Overall this one is okay. I don't think it is bad, but it's balance is very unusual. You will either love this beer, hate it, or be dead center about it, I think. For me, I am dead center. Nice to try. Nice to be moving on.

01-01-2008 04:22:33 | More by RblWthACoz
Floydster

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

12 ounce bottle purchased from Liquid Solutions in Oregon for under two dollars

Currently drinking this one while writing its review and it is not too bad, the bottle reads 4.5% ABV, not the 5.6% like it says above

Poured into my Ballast Point glass with a slightly dark golden yellow color and a nice frothy white head that is going nowhere, but it does not leave much lacing

Smell is barley and yeast with tons of different dry malts, a hint of sour apple is in there as well

Taste is all over the place, starts off a bit sour with a small taste of citrus, then a smooth malty bite, followed by a dry finish, this one is dominated by malt and keeps on coming as the taste lasts a long time, it has taken me about fifteen minutes get through two ounces, sourness is more evident as it warms but quickly fades still, this is malty pale ale which is odd because most I have are overly hoppy on most occasions, something different

Lots of carbonation and a medium size body, mouthfeel is not bad but not great either

This one is pretty drinkable, very light but taste can get old after a while, very sour for an APA, not really my style, I personally could not drink much of this at all

First Hair of the Dog brew, nothing special, but have high hopes for my other ones in the future that are sitting in my cellar, especially the vintage Doggie Claws I have been holding onto

11-13-2007 07:01:18 | More by Floydster
mcallister

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

A very pale golden orange liquid with a filmy light, and small in stature head that fades very quickly into foamy edges.

Very pale malt aroma with a floral bit behind it. A hint of earth with a odd bouqet overall.

Well in the mouth this is quite tasty. Not a complex brew but a refreshing mouthfeel and quick finish make this a very drinkable beer. Much more fruity in the mouth with mainly stone fruit flavors and a hint of spice. Hard to distinguish but easy to drink. A beer for a session of some sort:)

10-19-2007 20:26:26 | More by mcallister
Metalmonk

4.18/5  rDev +17.4%

Bought this bottle at the brewery in Portland. Label says 4.5% ABV. Alan Sprints is a hero. He amiably poured big samples of all his current brews and gave a great tour of one of the most unique breweries I've seen. Cheers, Alan!

Pours a hazy golden color, obviously not filtered and that's fine by me. The head is small and turns to a ring quickly. I suppose the head leaves a little something to be desired, it looks pretty flimsy, but the color and lacing are very nice.

Incredibly fresh, clean aroma dominated by hops...all those great west-coast ones that begin with "C". Clearly in the tradition of the Pacific Northwest hophead beers, despite it only being a pale ale.

Flavor is raw and real, as expected from this brewery. Hops are big, fruity and piney, but manageable. Hey, it's a pale ale...don't expect your usual wild miasma of flavor here, the kind HOTD usually delivers. This is very direct and simple. The finish keeps the hop flavor riding through. Malt? What malt? It's there of course, but it's pale (in color) and unobtrusive (in flavor), a subtle base for the hops to do their thing. I also noticed a bit of yeasty goodness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is right on target, walking the line between rolling creaminess and spritzed-up tingling. Does well for the flavors.

The hops remain sharp long after each sip...if you're looking for a well-hopped pale ale that isn't bland and boring like so many of its type, this is your beer.

10-18-2007 22:19:15 | More by Metalmonk
smttycty

3.1/5  rDev -12.9%

A careless pour deposited the bottom sediment of the bottle-conditioned 12 ounce brown shortie into my glass, creating a honey-colored sea of murkiness. Despite the aggressive pour the head was not long for this world leaving patches of froth to look at.
A nice nose of hoppy zest and bakery fresh bread with a little butter melting on top. The mild flavors of citrusy hops came in smoothly leaning toward grapefruit. There was a little off-dry grain presence, but the hop flavor jumped back in for the finish despite minimal bitterness. Fairly subdued in it's overall character. Unfortunately there was not enough carbonation to rid the mouth of the residual coating leaving me looking for a bottle of Perrier. The heavy artillery of the rest of the HOTD line-up leaves Ruth in a rest-home.

10-15-2007 08:49:12 | More by smttycty
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.9/5  rDev +37.6%

A – Ok now this was a serious looking brew. Poured a very hazy, so cloudy you could not even see through it, pale golden yellow. Tons and tons of sediment were apparent right from the beginning, swirling around in the glass and eventually coming to rest near the bottom. A large two inch head of sticky and foamy lace formed on the top and had great retention, lasting for almost a good few minutes before settling back down to earth and remaining at about a half an inch throughout the remainder of the session. A large amount of side glass lace was present and pretty much obscured the contents throughout. This was far and away the best looking pale ale I have ever seen. This just looked great in every way and earns a perfect 5 in look hands down.

S – The aroma was awesome. First thing I noticed was a sharp dose of citrus hops, however they were not so bitter, but rather sweet and floral with a very pleasing overall aura about it. Large amounts of yeast were also present and gave it a rather light, fruity feel. Small doeses of apples, appears and even some peaches were apparent as was a slightly fresh cut grass of sort. Very nice aroma and to be honest this just is not seeming like a pale ale to me.

T – Wow, what the crap is this. This is just fantastic. A huge full robust flavor just overwhelmed the taste buds from the first moment I sipped this. I was really blown away by the depth in the flavor here. Lots of floral hops, but not overbearing, kinda muted on the bitterness and replaced with more of a sugary sweetness. Lots of yeast in the flavor as well. Nice fruity flavors, but very light and full of apples and pears. A good backbone of light grain malts was present and really helped push everything else to the front. There was a touch of some lemon almost, something with a bit of a twang and very bright. That is the best way I can describe this one, very bright. It was honestly one of the best all around flavors I have ever had. Pretty much perfect.

M – Very full bodied. Lots of carbonation that hung around until the bitter end. This really helped to solidify the overall lively feeling of this. It had such a unique feel. On one had it was light in body, full of carbonation and had a nice crisp cut off, however it was still rather filling and had a definite presence to it. Very complex, but exceptionally good. I really cannot say anything bad here at all and yet another score of 5.

D – Now here, hands down this is a five. It was beyond sessionable. Truly a fantasic crafted brew. I could have had another and another and another. I just do not have words to accurately describe it. All of this packed into 4%abv? I just don’t see how. If I could I would buy a case and make sure it was in the fridge at all times, it was just that good.

Overall this has to be one of the best brews I have ever had. Just a complete package of sessionability and by far the best session ale I have ever had. I cannot compare it to anything else as it was just that good. I will be actively seeking out more of this, and that is something I very rarely do. I really have to have enough of this around for future enjoyment. Truly one of the best I have ever had.

10-02-2007 22:39:00 | More by mikesgroove
cswhitehorse

3.23/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my glass. It was a hazy light orange color with a heavy head that left a sea foam legacy on the side of the glass.

The smell was of a herbal or floral quality.

The taste was some what bitter with an overwhelming herbal hoppiness. The mouthfeel was one of bitterness that stayed quite a while. I didn't feel this was a well balanced beer. I will come back to it maybe in a year since it is local.

09-02-2007 21:16:01 | More by cswhitehorse
Lothore

2.68/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a amber golden color with a huge 3 finger out of control head. It looks massive and unrestrained but fades fairly quickly with no lacing.

S- Sweet malty aroma with hints of slightly tart fruits such as rasberries.

T- Taste is very wheaty but completely bland. A very slight bitterness but not enough to get anything done, I was straining just to taste that.

M- Lacks carbonation for the style and just makes me think of a stagnant pond as it's going down. This was the part of the beer I really didn't enjoy.

D- I found it hard to even finish my 12 oz serving. Very bland and lackluster with a mouthfeel that will leave you running for the hills.

09-01-2007 03:02:57 | More by Lothore
Risser09

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a wine glass

Appearance: Golden orange with a white head. The head reaches 1 inch in height and then leaves lace behind in it's wake. Translucent.

Smell: I smell a certain belgian spicy yeast strain in this beer. It actually resembles a saison. Aromas include yeast, honey, lemon peel, and lavendar.

Taste: Wild yeast, clover honey, wet blanket and brown sugar. There is a minimal hop bitterness, though this is a balanced beer overall. The taste is not reminiscent of an APA to me. This tastes like a sweet saison. Complex and interesting.

Mouthfeel: Rustic and earthy with the yeast. Malt profile with little hop bitterness. The alcohol is well hidden and there is a definitive sugary taste to the beer.

Drinkability: Great! If only I had more of this available to me. Although with so much more availebl out there I don't know if I would put this at the top of my list. All this homebrewing I've been doing is replacing these session beers. Overall, a solid brew that is nothing like it's style should be.

08-29-2007 00:47:49 | More by Risser09
franksnbeans

Pours a hazy gold with a thin head and lacing. Smells nice and hoppy, floral, sweet malts and citrus. Tastes sweet and malty, hoppy, some citrus rind, very balanced with a bitter finish. Feels light in the mouth with lively carbonation. Very drinkable. Fine APA and worth a try.

08-20-2007 06:57:32 | More by franksnbeans
Georgiabeer

Georgia

2.15/5  rDev -39.6%

I've liked all the other Hair of the Dog beers I've had over the years, so this one was a big dissappointment- I didn't like this at all and it ended up being a drain pour for me. Perhaps it was bad. Given that there is no freshness date on the label, I don't really care- I call'em like I see'em and the brewery should help make sure I have a good experience. That being said, it was not obviously spoiled, so probably it is just the beer. This one poured golden with no head, but with constant bubbles in the glass. Quite a few particles suspended in the brew. Didn't smell like much, maybe some light floral hops, some cereal grains and some soap. The taste is bitter, but quite muddled and frankly, all over the place. Bitter, metallic, overripe fruit, gentian, and dust. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and slightly spritzy. Unpleasant, I poured it out.

08-08-2007 22:18:13 | More by Georgiabeer
IntriqKen

4.22/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours a dirty orange with only a moderate head that disappeared almost immediately.

Aromas are slightly bready and slightly citrusy with some floral notes.

Taste is fresh and sweet pale malt with lots of semi-sweet citrus hops...lemons and oranges and tangerines. Flavors blend and mellow as it warms and as you swallow...more hops come forward and make for a nicely drying APA.

Definitely a step above the average craft APA.
Here's to Granny Ruth!

08-05-2007 00:06:01 | More by IntriqKen
bosco7

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a hazy pale orange with a small head.

Pineapple, lemon, flowers, peach and a touch of caramel in the nose.

Definitely more balanced than hop forward like many APAs. Sweet caramel malt upfront that lasts. Apple tart fruitiness with a floral finish. Subtle bitterness. Decent but lacks a certain depth that

Smooth and medium bodied. Very drinkable and not the typical APA- nice.

07-30-2007 01:40:03 | More by bosco7
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%

Bottle at Volo. Surely an APA must not last too long I said. But alas, this has held up amazingly well!!

Pours a hazed golden, thin white head, lace ring, standard. Smell is nice, sweet, caramel, floral, very malty, lots of citrus, hops are very well integrated. Taste is great, sweet and malty, caramel/honey, very balanced, huge floral, citrus hope bitterness, grapefruity finish, very smooth. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to medium carbonation. Very good, solid APA, and ages well! Who would have known? Thanks to biegaman for alerting me these are in prime shape!

07-05-2007 03:24:04 | More by Viggo
akorsak

2.88/5  rDev -19.1%

A 12 oz bottle from Liquid Solutions.

A: From a distance. the ale is a pale golden yellow color, lacking any hint of sediment (a rarity in HoTD ales). Up close, it is evident that the ale is full of small particles. The carbonation is restrained, small on pour and a thin trail of bubbles in the glass.

S: The nose is odd, giving off a floral aroma. The floral does not mean hoppy, instead it is very sweet. Some clear graininess comes through as well, adding some dryness to that sweetness.

T: Flavorwise, there is an underlying fruity body that is the most memorable component. The ale lacks a clean hop or grain body, staying muddled together instead. Some of the flavors here are reminiscent of Rose and it's beet-inspired flavor.

M: The mouthfeel is confusing, pushing an APA to a new frontier with its underlying fruitiness.

D: Again, HoTD pushes the envelop, creating a beer that you have a definite opinion on, there is no grey area in the love or hate category. Me? One glass is enough.

06-10-2007 17:42:33 | More by akorsak
msubulldog25

3.48/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Surprisingly, this may be my first taste of HotD's Ruth, despite the fact that I rank Adam, Fred and Doggie Claws highly among my local favorites. This is the only offering from this brewery I know of that comes in twist-off caps and in 6-packs. No date or Batch # anywhere on the label. This one shows the HotD Bulldog sporting a flowered bonnet and shawl, inspired perhaps by brewer Alan Sprints' granny, for whom the beer is named. 'Ruth' was my paternal grandma's name, too...

A: Lovely, hazy sunshine yellow-orange color, but otherwise a dull beer. Only a faint swirl of head and almost no rising carbonation. Despite the pretty color, this beer lacks in so many areas. Is it an old bottle? I purchased in April 2007.

S: Smells of pale malt, with faint hints at a Belgian strain of yeast. Whiffs of hay & grass, sweet cereal grains, a bit of citrus hopping. Light aromas, but pleasant.

T: A bit of caramel, light fruit, spicy and citrusy hops (lemon and orange pith). Sugary and malty, with a strange but interesting flavor of mint. A little yeast, too. Some peppery dryness to the finish.

M: For a relatively tame beer abv-wise, this sure came across as 'potent'. Mouthfeel is surprisingly full, bordering on 'syrupy' & 'thick'. Ends with a bit of biting tart/tangy-ness.

D: I expected this to be a lighter, more refreshing beer than it was...instead it was more spicy and heavy. Generally, I liked the flavors and found some milder similarities in flavor to some of the magical malt/hop blends in HotD's powerful barleywines like Fred and Doggie Claws. This is one I'll have again; still it doesn't fall among my favorites, either stylistically or from this brewery. Worth trying...

06-05-2007 06:38:10 | More by msubulldog25
GbVDave

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a DT tulip. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the hook up!

A: Pours a hazy, bright-peach color. No head to speak of, just a small unbroken ring and some light lace.

S: Faint hint of belgian yeast, or Hefe-weizen. Tart citrus and a not so subtle wine-y quality.

T: Tart citrus fruit. I tasted flavor along the lines of lemon, lime, grapefruit, and orange. Also noted was a tart and tangy white wine taste. Extremely tart and fruity for an APA.

M: Dry, bitter, and astringent. I found the dry, white wine mouthfeel to be quite compelling. Very different for the style.

D: Tart, tangy and very refreshing. Some similarities to Saisons and Hefe-weizens. Totally not what I expected. A very nice surprise.

05-27-2007 16:56:09 | More by GbVDave
Duster72

Indiana

2.9/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours a very cloudy orangey amber with no head and minimal lacing. Aroma is primarily yeast with some orange and lemon lurking in the background. Taste is sour and yeasty with minimal hints of fruits. Mouthfeel is medium body and low carbonation. Not very drinkable IMO, very disappointing for a HOTD brew.

04-15-2007 20:20:40 | More by Duster72