Adam - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

AdamAdam

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  10.00% ABV

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
Reviews by deadonhisfeet:
deadonhisfeet

Kentucky

4.73/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Batch number 79 brewed on 11/17/09, bottled on 1/28/10, and consumed on 4/4/13. Poured from a bottle into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter.

The pour is extremely dark mahogany with some reddish highlights (beautiful color). The head is fine and frothy khaki-colored. On the nose I get lots of toffee, oatmeal raisin cookies, oak, ginger, molasses, rum, and a hint of smoke. There's a lot here and I'd hate to waste precious moments nosing. Three or four whiffs and I just have to know what this tastes like.

The beer has a really full body and an amazing velvety feel. The complexity is mind-boggling. It's interesting to note that the booziness in this beer all seems to hit you up front, but it's not a bit unpleasant. With all the wonderful flavors that complement it, it's reminiscent of fruitcake. There are notes of black bread, dried figs, holiday spices, molasses, smoke, and oak. Every sip brings something new. The finish is smooth and sustained, leaving traces of almonds and cloves swimming in rum behind. Stunning.

A unique beer that seems to bring together all of the best qualities of an old ale and a quad. I'd buy this frequently if it was available where I lived. It's truly epic. Unmatched complexity. Not for newbies. I have one other bottle and I'm going to let it go longer than this one.

04-05-2013 00:37:28 | More by deadonhisfeet
JohnnyHopps

Indiana

4.56/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - The beer poured a dark malty color with a very modest head, which is appropriate for the style.

Smell - The aroma is quite malty and perhaps borders on being syrupy.

Taste - My initial impression of the taste is the sweetness of this ale. There are notes of sweet malt, nuts, tobacco, and oak. The oak is remarkable as this is not a barrel aged variation. The beer is warming on the way down, but it is certainly not hot.

Mouthfeel - The ale is almost sticky, coating the tongue and mouth. It allows for this taste to linger.

Overall - To this point, this is my favorite edition of the style. I like it a lot.

07-13-2014 16:11:21 | More by JohnnyHopps

Gmedeiros820

07-05-2014 14:27:15 | More by Gmedeiros820
kemoarps

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pretty sure this is a 2012. Batch 86. 12oz bottle poured into... a tulip-ish snifter-kind of thing (it's a modified former honey jar. I get srrious about my glassware...).
Pours a murky deep brown bordering on reddish (leaving the white and blue to my complexion, and... mousepad? I guess? Happy birthday America!), like cherry wood turned almost black. Almost no head to speak of, but the beer clearly likes the glass since it did put a ring on it.

The nose is primarily boozy dark fruits: plums figs, raisins, an almost dusty character. Almost woody? Like a snap I understand the appeal of Adam from the Wood and Cherry Adam from the Wood. Haven't had them, but they sound like they would blend with what Adam already is amazingly well. And besides, they're hardly ever made, so it's GOTTA be good, right?

The tongue takes the theme of dark fruits and booze and runs the gamut of dark flavours. The booze is present, especially when I look for it, and the fruits -- the figs and plums in particular -- can still be found, but they blend with said booziness to draw out flavours of (yes, I'm about to be that guy) spicy tobacco leaf (this would pair REALLY well with a cigar. In fact, I still have one Cuban left...), leather and a slightly woody note. These come together in an impressively intricately woven dance, like a well choreographed parade float where each character hits their queues and is individually impressive, but ultimately come together to be a moving work of art that is simultaneously blah blah blah...

While the 10% contributes its soft burn, it plays into the spices present in the body to lull you into a false sense that it can do you no harm. It's warm and that spice/alcohol pairs with light but sharp carbonation to not distract from the flavours weaving their way around your tongue.

I'd had Fred, and was a bit nonplussed. Likewise Blue Dot: thought it was OK, but nothing to write home about (unless you consider BA home, because I think I did write a review. But that's silly. Who would make that comparison?). Maybe the intervening years really have matured my palate. Maybe I'm just amped on America and puppies. Either way, Adam really stood out to me as an excellently crafted work of gustatory/zymurgical art, and I can fully understand the hype around AftW and CAftW (even though I haven't had and probably never will get to taste either). Since I've not had it FRESH, I can't speak to how it's changed over the years (this one's only about two years old), but rest assured after this bottle, I'll certainly be picking a couple more up when I see them to test that question. I suggest you do the same.

07-05-2014 02:31:10 | More by kemoarps

06-21-2014 18:39:31 | More by my_knew_craft
tbeckett

Ontario (Canada)

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2010 bottle from pushkinwow. Thanks!

A - Black pour with barely any head. Very minimal carbonation. No retention and no lace. Expected for the ABV and age, but still unimpressive.

S - Huge aroma. Smoke, leather is definitely there, raisins, dark fruit and sugar. Cool aromas playing together.

T - Smoke, earth, dark fruit, lot's of brown sugar. More smoke than I typically like, but still decent. Rich malty flavours and some booze.

M - Almost no carbonation, full syrupy body, dry smokey finish.

O/D - Pretty hardcore. Age has probably mellowed this out a bit but the smoke is a touch too much for me. It's quite a complex adventure though, and quite rich. A decent example, but nothing too wild.

06-21-2014 01:14:35 | More by tbeckett