Adam - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

AdamAdam

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  10.00% ABV

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

This is the beer that started it all. Not 1001 Bottles, but my friendship with Erick Engel. I saw Erick post about Adam on Google+ and asked if he would be interested in a trade. Long story short, he was… And that traded turned into several bottles before we were done. This was a unique trade, too. Erick is from San Diego, but was going to be in the Valley for a baseball tournament. Why would he bother shipping the beers when he could deliver them IN PERSON! We made plans to meet at Four Peaks, and did the trade right there at the table. It was amazing.

During our trade the manager at Four Peaks came over and asked what we were doing. At first, I was worried he wouldn't allow us to trade at the table. Better yet, he brought Erick some stickers, some coasters, and invited everyone to the brewery for a tour of the brewing facility. We left there, headed to Fate and the rest is… Well, fate! It was a great way for us to land this bottle.

I am a bit fan of Hair of the Dog Brewing, and I know this beer is incredible. I first had this back in Indiana, but we can't get Hair of the Dog here in the desert. I can't thank Erick enough for making this bottle possible. Erick, this one is for you… The one that started it all. Cheers, buddy!!!

In the Glass: Whoa… Didn't expect that much head. I am getting a fist of head on this one. Granted, Sheryl's pour was perfect. Oh well, this needs to heat up a little, anyway. The beer is nice a dark; a dark brown almost black color. The head is thick, and has a nice toffee color to it. The beer is producing a nice lace, too. I can't wait to drink this. Memories!

Nose: I am going to wait for the head to go down just a little bit. I don't want bubbles all up on my nose!

Sorry, I was distracted. I am busy chatting with David Rojo. He is going to be coming over in a few days to drink our bottle of Mexican Cake with us. He will also be bringing a bottle from his cellar for us to try. He was telling me some that he has to offer… And regardless of what he brings, I am pumped to try it. On to the nose.

Imagine a fig floating in a glass of scotch. That is what this smells like. It doesn't have a sweet aroma that you would expect from an Old Ale, but it does offer nice balance with obvious smokey goodness. The more I smell this, the more smoke I am getting. Oh, and the BeerAdvocate guys rated this a 99… So you know it's good!

Flavor: By the way, the lace is ridiculous on this beer. A good lace is a sign of a good beer.

Here we go. Oh. My. GOD! That is unreal. I mean, SO freaking good. I was chatting with Erick earlier tonight and he said he hadn't had his bottle of Adam yet. Erick… DUDE, drop what you are doing and drink this beer NOW!!! Oh, and Paul Tom Bennett from Facebook said, "That's stuff is liquid amazeballs!" That is one way to put it.

You get a nice smokey flavor up front, but then the sweetness that I was talking about shows up. Then, as you swallow and continue to swallow, the smoke just continues and leaves you with a nice drying finish. I could seriously drink a gallon of this beer. It's that good.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is great, and leaves a nice thick layer of flavor on my tongue. The beer, even at 10% ABV, is easy to drink, but the flavor is so good, I don't want this bottle to be over. I only get 6 ounces, but that is not enough! I am sure a keg of this, if they even make it, would be outrageous… But I would LOVE a pint of this on tap. I am just blown away with how good this beer is.

Aftertaste: The smoke continues, but as I sit here and continue to swallow, the smoke becomes a nice earthy dryness that is hard to forget. I said imagine a fig floating in a glass of scotch, and that thought is still with me. I do like scotch, and I really dig the pearty scotches from the Islay region.

If you like a nice thick high ABV beer that you can drink as your dessert, then this is the beer for you. We tried Fred, another beer from Hair of the Dog, many moons ago. I remember that bottle like it was yesterday, and I am so glad that we found a bottle of Adam. This bottle wouldn't be possible without Erick and his dedication to craft beer. This is what craft beer is all about!

Cheers, people!

rickyleepotts, Aug 13, 2013
4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

Nice to finally try this beer,poures an almost black definently very dark with a great creamy head that leaves waves of lace.Aroma has a spicey quality to it like roasted peppers and some alcohol notes,taste is complex with some peppery taste along with a chocolate note with some smokey flavors coming out as it warms.A beer to sip and savour well made and worth its press clippings.

oberon, May 08, 2004
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance – Monster head that laces all exposed areas of the inside glass. The color is a deep, dark, rich brown – almost black.

Smell – Lots of smells in this one. Burnt malt and brown sugar come to mind, along with struggling hops and a juicy, chewing tobacco scent.

Taste – This is like syrup. Thick, chewy malts laden with tobacco, burnt brown sugar, prunes (lots of prunes), raisins, and other dark fruits. The sugar comes out even more at the end with a lingering finish along with the alcohol. There are some bitter hops in there somewhere but I’m having trouble picking them out.

Mouthfeel – No carbonation to speak of. The beer is creamy smooth though.

Drinkability – Well, it carries a 10% ABV, so I wouldn’t be shooting it with pizza or pretzels. It is smooth enough to go down well though.

Comments – This is a full-bodied heavy hitter and not for the faint of heart. The majority of inexperienced drinkers would probably pour most of the bottle down the sink. I like a strong, malty dark ale but the unbalanced character keeps me away from 5’s on this one.

Update – For my 2004 re-review I found the flavor tainted with some off sour notes which brought the Taste rating down by 0.5.

Update – For my 2005 review we are back on track. The sourness is gone, the rating is back up, and for the first time in history the bottle didn’t explode all over my kitchen floor. Yeehaw!

RoyalT, Aug 10, 2003

DanGeo, Aug 17, 2013

tectactoe, Jan 13, 2014
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Reddish brown with a pretty big, almost fluffy, head that fizzes away into some lacings.

S: The smell is fantastic. Very complex, don't even know if I'm able to decipher everything going on here. Here's a lot of malts - caramel, dark bread, fudge and even some roasted notes. Vinous fruits (cherries, raisins, figs) and wood. Spices reminiscent of cola, molasses and smooth alcohol notes.

T: The taste is no letdown either, to say the least. A gentle roasted character sits well with caramel, fudge and prominent vinous fruity notes. The fruits are not as well defined as in the smell. Then comes rich and sophisticated flavors of wood, raisins, dusty cellar and spices. The taste is very sweet but the roasted aromas, wood and spices keep everything on track. The finish is amazing. Luscious warming and semi-sweet alcohol, well balanced bitterness, leafy hops, wood and lingering sweetness. Very powerful. If I had to say something negative about it, I think the alcohol is just slightly too prominent. But that's of minor importance.

M: Medium to full body and creamy texture. Very pleasant.

D: This is just a fantastic beer. Very complex and oh so balanced. Drinks like a fine wine.

ricke, Sep 10, 2009

Schlais, Jan 20, 2013

Batch #81 poured into Dogfish Head Snifter

A - Pours a dark brown with a fingers worth of tan head. A good amount of lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - The aroma contains dark fruit, chocolate, caramelized malts and some hops.

T- Raisins, figs, prunes, bit of chocolate, caramel, malt. A nice warm booziness at the backend followed by sweetness.

M - A bit chewy, but super smooth, head that stays adds to this character.

O - My favorite year round offering from Hair of the Dog. I always buy a few bottles when I see it in NYC. Can't wait to see how this one ages. Such an underrated brew.

SkiBum22, Feb 10, 2012

Ben7773, Aug 02, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

bulldogg915, Apr 14, 2013
4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Batch 67. I know its a bit old, either 06 or 07.

This is going to be a tough style to rate as I know nothing about them except what I have read.

Pours a delicious dark (very dark) brown, quite opaque, though some light getting through. Rich dense, dark head with quite a lot of staying power.

Dark roasted malt. Some dark dried sweet fruit like raisin or date. There is another food type that I cant place. Virtually no hop character. ABV. It doesnt take a genious to call this a full bodied beer.

Wow. Roasted malt finish. Wow. Ive never tasted a finish non-syrup like with this flavor. Lots of warming, non biting, ABV in the middle.

Sits very smooth for ABV. Almost like a Barley Wine. Lots a similarities between them. This brew gets better as temperature rises.

I love this brew. I cant really find a flaw in it. I wish I could drink like 4 of them starting at dinner. This would compliment a lot of meals and is a very hearty drink.

I originally got this beer in a BIF. Ive been looking to trade for them, but I think the price is a bit high. I might try to find some on the cheap any way possible.

JasonA, Aug 10, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Batch 79
Pours flat into my Deschutes tulip.
No head, no carbonation. Flat.
Tastes good though. Very pronounced chocolate and figs up front and throughout. Slight tangyness in the aftertaste.
Given the experiences others have had, I'll give this another try and update my review as appropriate.

NWer, Oct 27, 2011

Batch 79.

A - Pours deep brown with 2 fingers of tan head. Head has great retention.

S - Deep caramel malts, earthiness, and definitely some raisins coming through. Very nice overall.

T - Similar to smell, the earthy malts and deep dried fruits dominate. Also some molasses. Has a very woody character to it. Some alcohol apparent in the taste. Would have loved to have let this one sit for a year or two, but my suitcase was already full with other beers, so I had to drink this one out of a plastic cup in the hotel in San Diego.

M - medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Alcohol provides some warming on the way down.

D - Probably a little too fresh to taste the full potential of this one, but clearly a nice take on the old ale. I only wish I could have brought more home.

warnerry, Feb 08, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -18%

A yeasty hoppy aroma with all kinds of hints of other things, a nice sweet malty blend of raisin banana lemon, almost like a weiss, thickish mouthfeel little bit of hop bitterness in the aftertaste, a complex sweetness lingered till the end.I seem to feel this is a great brew, but the blend just isn't something I'm into right now.

grynder33, Apr 04, 2004
4.1/5  rDev -4%

12 oz bottle - batch 67 (thanks to Crosling!). Pours a dark brown with a smallish creamy off white head that quickly recedes to a thin film that laces the glass.

The aroma is grainy chocolate, coffee, dark fruits and a little alcohol.

The flavor is sweet (sugary) and smoky chocolate, black licorice and vinous fruits with a tarry alcoholic bitter finish. As it warms, the alcohol overpowers the sweetness. The mouthfeel is medium to full and slightly watery with soft carbonation.

Overall, a very fine beer. It tastes a little like a super-charged Hibernation, but with more burnt tar and anise (which come out more as it warms). I liked it better colder.

Beaver13, Oct 29, 2007

getinked, Jul 04, 2012

Callmecoon, May 23, 2013

TimoP, Oct 25, 2013

Snikwad1020, Mar 07, 2013
4.4/5  rDev +3%

Pours a very nice medium amber with lots of sediment and half finger head which sticks around for a bit. Aroma is cotton candy, brown sugar and malts. Taste is red grapes, lightly toasted dark malts, dark chocolate, and mild smokiness. Alcohol comes out on the finish which hurts drinkability. Perfect winter brew, wish this one was available locally.

Duster72, Apr 13, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

megamass, Mar 30, 2014
4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

On tap @ Redbones.

Murky brown colour with a thin lace and decent head retention to boot. Aromas of ripe figs, caramel and husky grain.

Figgy sweet, layer of caramel, hints of husk and yeast, and struggling hop balance. Full bodied and very creamy on the tongue off of a moderate carbonation. Higher alcohols are merely in ester form and somewhat get lost in the malt in a very deceiving way. Sweet finish with a slow warming feeling.

Overly drinkable barleywines can be a dangerous thing, this beers name is dangerous. Goes down some smooth and creamy, with layers of sweetness that are no cloying at all caress the taste buds to bring them closer to heaven. Highly recommended especially on tap.

Jason, Nov 18, 2002
4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Dark brown with ruby and garnet highlights when held to a light. Poured with a creamy tan head that leaves a nice ring as you drink. Chocolate, toffee, prunes and raisins, some roast. Maybe some hops, but this babys about the malt. Chocolate is the overriding flavor here. Sharp bitterness and alcohol burn. Very mouth filling. Definatley a night cap.

tjthresh, Aug 22, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours almost an opaque mahogany color, with an enormous, five finger, beige head. Nice lacing effect with sheets and patches all over the glass.
Aromas of malty caramel and molasses are picked up from several feet away. Some smoky, Scotch style peat smokiness enhances the nose to an idyllic presence.
Mouthfeel is rich and creamy, with active carbonation. Alcohol makes its first appearance here, before fading into the background.
Taste is sublime. Molasses and toffee sweetness, dark fruits, and warming alcohol combine very well for an exceptional smoothness. Adequate hops presence prevents any cloying.
I am absolutely enamored with this Adam. This is like a perfect, strong Scotch ale, with extraordinary drinkability and taste. I will be seeking more of these Adams, the sooner the better. Very highly recommended!

merlin48, Mar 24, 2004
4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

"Batch 57" 12 oz bottle, strong tasty stuff, enjoy with care. Poured dark amber, dark tan head, good retention and lacing. Bready, yeasty nose, burnt fruit, alcohol, figs, raisins and brandy notes. Medium bodied,vinious, rich malt flavors. Resiny hops come burning through. Fine brew.

Billolick, May 01, 2004