Adam - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

AdamAdam

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  10.00% ABV

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
rickyleepotts

Arizona

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is the beer that started it all. Not 1001 Bottles, but my friendship with Erick Engel. I saw Erick post about Adam on Google+ and asked if he would be interested in a trade. Long story short, he was… And that traded turned into several bottles before we were done. This was a unique trade, too. Erick is from San Diego, but was going to be in the Valley for a baseball tournament. Why would he bother shipping the beers when he could deliver them IN PERSON! We made plans to meet at Four Peaks, and did the trade right there at the table. It was amazing.

During our trade the manager at Four Peaks came over and asked what we were doing. At first, I was worried he wouldn't allow us to trade at the table. Better yet, he brought Erick some stickers, some coasters, and invited everyone to the brewery for a tour of the brewing facility. We left there, headed to Fate and the rest is… Well, fate! It was a great way for us to land this bottle.

I am a bit fan of Hair of the Dog Brewing, and I know this beer is incredible. I first had this back in Indiana, but we can't get Hair of the Dog here in the desert. I can't thank Erick enough for making this bottle possible. Erick, this one is for you… The one that started it all. Cheers, buddy!!!

In the Glass: Whoa… Didn't expect that much head. I am getting a fist of head on this one. Granted, Sheryl's pour was perfect. Oh well, this needs to heat up a little, anyway. The beer is nice a dark; a dark brown almost black color. The head is thick, and has a nice toffee color to it. The beer is producing a nice lace, too. I can't wait to drink this. Memories!

Nose: I am going to wait for the head to go down just a little bit. I don't want bubbles all up on my nose!

Sorry, I was distracted. I am busy chatting with David Rojo. He is going to be coming over in a few days to drink our bottle of Mexican Cake with us. He will also be bringing a bottle from his cellar for us to try. He was telling me some that he has to offer… And regardless of what he brings, I am pumped to try it. On to the nose.

Imagine a fig floating in a glass of scotch. That is what this smells like. It doesn't have a sweet aroma that you would expect from an Old Ale, but it does offer nice balance with obvious smokey goodness. The more I smell this, the more smoke I am getting. Oh, and the BeerAdvocate guys rated this a 99… So you know it's good!

Flavor: By the way, the lace is ridiculous on this beer. A good lace is a sign of a good beer.

Here we go. Oh. My. GOD! That is unreal. I mean, SO freaking good. I was chatting with Erick earlier tonight and he said he hadn't had his bottle of Adam yet. Erick… DUDE, drop what you are doing and drink this beer NOW!!! Oh, and Paul Tom Bennett from Facebook said, "That's stuff is liquid amazeballs!" That is one way to put it.

You get a nice smokey flavor up front, but then the sweetness that I was talking about shows up. Then, as you swallow and continue to swallow, the smoke just continues and leaves you with a nice drying finish. I could seriously drink a gallon of this beer. It's that good.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is great, and leaves a nice thick layer of flavor on my tongue. The beer, even at 10% ABV, is easy to drink, but the flavor is so good, I don't want this bottle to be over. I only get 6 ounces, but that is not enough! I am sure a keg of this, if they even make it, would be outrageous… But I would LOVE a pint of this on tap. I am just blown away with how good this beer is.

Aftertaste: The smoke continues, but as I sit here and continue to swallow, the smoke becomes a nice earthy dryness that is hard to forget. I said imagine a fig floating in a glass of scotch, and that thought is still with me. I do like scotch, and I really dig the pearty scotches from the Islay region.

If you like a nice thick high ABV beer that you can drink as your dessert, then this is the beer for you. We tried Fred, another beer from Hair of the Dog, many moons ago. I remember that bottle like it was yesterday, and I am so glad that we found a bottle of Adam. This bottle wouldn't be possible without Erick and his dedication to craft beer. This is what craft beer is all about!

Cheers, people!

08-13-2013 04:36:53 | More by rickyleepotts
JohnnyHopps

Indiana

4.56/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - The beer poured a dark malty color with a very modest head, which is appropriate for the style.

Smell - The aroma is quite malty and perhaps borders on being syrupy.

Taste - My initial impression of the taste is the sweetness of this ale. There are notes of sweet malt, nuts, tobacco, and oak. The oak is remarkable as this is not a barrel aged variation. The beer is warming on the way down, but it is certainly not hot.

Mouthfeel - The ale is almost sticky, coating the tongue and mouth. It allows for this taste to linger.

Overall - To this point, this is my favorite edition of the style. I like it a lot.

07-13-2014 16:11:21 | More by JohnnyHopps

Gmedeiros820

07-05-2014 14:27:15 | More by Gmedeiros820
kemoarps

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pretty sure this is a 2012. Batch 86. 12oz bottle poured into... a tulip-ish snifter-kind of thing (it's a modified former honey jar. I get srrious about my glassware...).
Pours a murky deep brown bordering on reddish (leaving the white and blue to my complexion, and... mousepad? I guess? Happy birthday America!), like cherry wood turned almost black. Almost no head to speak of, but the beer clearly likes the glass since it did put a ring on it.

The nose is primarily boozy dark fruits: plums figs, raisins, an almost dusty character. Almost woody? Like a snap I understand the appeal of Adam from the Wood and Cherry Adam from the Wood. Haven't had them, but they sound like they would blend with what Adam already is amazingly well. And besides, they're hardly ever made, so it's GOTTA be good, right?

The tongue takes the theme of dark fruits and booze and runs the gamut of dark flavours. The booze is present, especially when I look for it, and the fruits -- the figs and plums in particular -- can still be found, but they blend with said booziness to draw out flavours of (yes, I'm about to be that guy) spicy tobacco leaf (this would pair REALLY well with a cigar. In fact, I still have one Cuban left...), leather and a slightly woody note. These come together in an impressively intricately woven dance, like a well choreographed parade float where each character hits their queues and is individually impressive, but ultimately come together to be a moving work of art that is simultaneously blah blah blah...

While the 10% contributes its soft burn, it plays into the spices present in the body to lull you into a false sense that it can do you no harm. It's warm and that spice/alcohol pairs with light but sharp carbonation to not distract from the flavours weaving their way around your tongue.

I'd had Fred, and was a bit nonplussed. Likewise Blue Dot: thought it was OK, but nothing to write home about (unless you consider BA home, because I think I did write a review. But that's silly. Who would make that comparison?). Maybe the intervening years really have matured my palate. Maybe I'm just amped on America and puppies. Either way, Adam really stood out to me as an excellently crafted work of gustatory/zymurgical art, and I can fully understand the hype around AftW and CAftW (even though I haven't had and probably never will get to taste either). Since I've not had it FRESH, I can't speak to how it's changed over the years (this one's only about two years old), but rest assured after this bottle, I'll certainly be picking a couple more up when I see them to test that question. I suggest you do the same.

07-05-2014 02:31:10 | More by kemoarps

06-21-2014 18:39:31 | More by my_knew_craft
tbeckett

Ontario (Canada)

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2010 bottle from pushkinwow. Thanks!

A - Black pour with barely any head. Very minimal carbonation. No retention and no lace. Expected for the ABV and age, but still unimpressive.

S - Huge aroma. Smoke, leather is definitely there, raisins, dark fruit and sugar. Cool aromas playing together.

T - Smoke, earth, dark fruit, lot's of brown sugar. More smoke than I typically like, but still decent. Rich malty flavours and some booze.

M - Almost no carbonation, full syrupy body, dry smokey finish.

O/D - Pretty hardcore. Age has probably mellowed this out a bit but the smoke is a touch too much for me. It's quite a complex adventure though, and quite rich. A decent example, but nothing too wild.

06-21-2014 01:14:35 | More by tbeckett