Adam - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Adam Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,288 | Reviews: 1,000

12 oz bottle, poured into a goblet

Appearance: Pours a gorgeous, completely opaque, almost pitch-black color with two fingers of white-colored head that slowly dissolved away into a lacing of foam that completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Wow! Very aromatic, with tons of bready, toasted malt and stone fruit up front, imparting notes of freshly toasted sweet bread, and raisins, apricots, currents, figs and prunes. I also get tons of toffee and brown sugar, as well as spices of clove, cinnamon, all-spice and black pepper. Very complex, rich, and inviting.

Taste: Delicious! There’s tons of bready, toasted malt and stone fruit up front, imparting flavors of freshly toasted sweet bread, and raisins, apricots, currents, figs and prunes. I also get tons of toffee and brown sugar-like sweetness, as well as spices of clove, cinnamon, all-spice and black pepper. Very complex, rich, and inviting. Outstanding!

Mouthfeel: Chewy, smooth and creamy as there is very little in the way of carbonation. With an ABV of 10.0%, there is very little in the way of alcohol on the palate, which is surprising. There’s much less than I was expecting with that high of an ABV. It’s extremely well masked.

Overall: This is a delicious beer! Amazing aromas, and flavor to match! I see why it is so highly regarded! It’s absolutely outstanding!

This is a profoundly good beer. The head is sculpture. My first encounter was on draft at Floyd's in Seattle. I've tried batches in the 20's, 30's,40s, and 50's, with tonight being #52. The last time was #33. This beer is an example of Beer as Art. It is beguiling. Like a good meal the components are so integrated that no one element stands out. They tease. The flavour changes from Imperial Stout to Harvest Ale. All the leathery,woody, chocolatey flavors dance interchangeably throughout the taste. When I think I have a flavor pegged it changes. Alan Sprints is an alchemist. This is gold turned into beer.

What can I say...all my favorite components beautifully balanced in a creamy, voluptuous body. Leather, wood, smoke, figs, tobacco, and chocolate. Reasonably dry, and constantly compelling, drawing you in for another luxurious sip. Simply amazing, and even more incredible than the bottled version.

*The current rating is based off the best batch and tasting of this beer.
*Unless noted otherwise, all 12 oz. bottles

- Batch 82 / Bottled 17-Mar-11
- Cellared 09-Nov-11
- Poured into Lost Abbey Teku on 30-Nov-13 (aged little over 3.5 years)
Oldest Adam I've had to date, and this batch is becoming a favorite. Plenty of carbo. I get some nice caramel apple notes. A BW-quality that I didn't get much of in my previous experiences. Still get the nice leather notes, but the smokyness isn't there, or very subdued. Overall, very nice. Still have 3 more bottles of this batch and looking forward to them next year.

- Batch 91 / Bottled ??? (they need to update their website!)
- Poured into stemless wine glass on 7-Nov-14 (assuming less than a year old)
No carbonation!!! Maybe a hint of it, if that. Tasted decent. I actually didn't detect any heat and no woody, tabacco smoky element in the flavors. Did get some dark fruit sweetness with chocolate and hint of leather. Still good enough to finish a glass, but this is the worse batch yet. I cracked open another bottle from same batch the next night to find out for sure it wasn't just some outlier. Same thing. Beware of Batch 91!

- Batch 83 / Bottled 29-Mar-12
- Cellared 28-May-12
- Poured into stemless wine glass on 3-Nov-14 (aged 2 years 7 months)
This is probably the best batch and best tasting of Adam I've had yet. dark fruit and chocolate-y goodness! The not much tabacco ash as other batches, but its still there. It's more present in the nose than in the taste. The barrel-like notes and hints of leather are there in the base. Mouthfeel is spot on. Velvety without the loss of carbo. No unpleasant heat whatsoever.

Wish there was a way to know which batches would age this well or not. I would've bought more of this batch than, say, Batch 83.

- Batch 82 / Bottled 17-Mar-11
- Poured into Lost Abbey Teku on 30-Dec-13 (aged 2 years 9 months)
Like the B80 I tried last year. Very smooth with all the Adam flavors. It's crazy how this isn't barrel-aged.

- Batch 83 / Bottled 15-Sep-11
- Cellared 20-Dec-11
- Poured into Lost Abbey Teku on 3-Aug-13 (aged 2 years 11 months)
Ton of leather and smoke on the nose with hints of barrel notes on the back end of the aromas. This one's a little too carbonated and I think it's the reason why I'm not getting as much caramel and figs as I would've liked.
Still.. very unique beer and really enjoying the different flavors that shine at different time points.

- Batch 80 / Bottled 16-Feb-10
- Poured into stemless wine glass on 05-Oct-12 (aged 2 years 7 months)
Hotness mellowed out, almost undetectable. The leathery, wood, tabacco, dark fruit, caramel, and a bit of chocolate all balanced together. So smooth.

- Batch 84 / Bottled 12-Jan-12
- Poured into stemless wine glass on 02-May-12 (fresh)
Same flavors but pretty hot and unbalanced compared to previous experience.

- Batch 80 / Bottled 16-Feb-10
- Poured into stemless wine glass on 04-Sep-11 (aged 1 year 7 months)
Smooth malt and caramel w/ just slight hotness. Leathery with hints of dark fruits. Full bodied.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

Batch 71. 12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

Nice looking brew. Beautiful very dark brown/ruby body with lovely ruby highlights. 2 fingers of tan head that isn't inclined to leave anytime soon. It slowly reduces and compresses to a half-finger layer that never leaves- fairly amazing at this ABV. Crackly lacing all up and down the glass. As Alan has mentioned, bottle conditioning can be a bit of a crapshoot, but the stars certainly seem to have aligned with this batch.

Wonderful, complex nose. Sherry, figs, a hint of singed wood and smoke. Sweet malt, oak, banana. Sherry, tobacco, bittersweet chocolate. You could spend half an hour just smelling and picking out new aromas. A real treat for the nose; now, onto the mouth!

This beer really keeps your tastebuds busy. So much going on, I don't know where to begin. Nice big roasted and sweet malt backbone. Sherry, brandy and oak. Lots of fruit- figs, raisins, overripe apples, pears. Bittersweet chocolate, leather and a touch of smoke. Vanilla? Tiniest hint of bourbon. Nice bitter hop bite at the finish. Just amazing. This is one of those beers that you can sip, chew, swish and savor, and still find something new at the end of the bottle.

Great mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation with a lingering oily, velvety, palate coating slickness. Hard to explain, but the 'vapors' left behind in your mouth still leave you trying to pick out new flavors. Weird, but awesome!

Overall impression: Incredible beer, my absolute favorite brew. Get some for now, but save some of this bottle conditioned elixir for later, too. Have a little patience and you'll be rewarded with something special.

Poured into a snifter on 10/25/10

Batch 74

With much appreciation to PDXHops

Dark cola brown color that settles near black. Basically no light can get through. The head started off as a loose patch of bubbles which was filled out by smooth foam, about one finger's worth. While retention thins, there's an impressive amount left considering the abv. Same goes for lacing.

The aroma is incredibly smooth with many layers of complexity. Dark fruits - raisins, figs & maybe a hint of prune; deep-seated dark cocoa; near-burnt sugars; vague notion of molasses; overtones of tobacco. Basically, all things deep & ominous. Something of a boozy swoon, as well.

A slew of burnt & roasted flavors greet the tongue immediately. Tobacco is the most potent flavor, begrudgingly sharing territory with notions of dark chocolate, raisins, figs & molasses. Indeed there is a smokiness, especially noticeable as the beer warms. Hints of toffee. The balance between burnt & sweet is ideal, in my opinion with the scale tipping in favor of the former.

Full bodied & plenty viscous for the style. Carbonation seems appropriate. The alcohol is warming but it isn't overly hot; certainly not cloying. The finish is somewhat gritty with a slight nod to bygone hops. Residuals of tobacco, dark fruit overtones & smoked malts linger.

Adam is a perfect convergence of flavor, complexity & structure. I do believe this is the cigar beer I've been searching for. Highly Recommended.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

Fat Tuesday- figured this was very appropriate. Special thanks to JohnGalt1 for this brew- awesome part of a solid trade!

Pours a color that resembles maple syrup mixed with molasses. Rich, heavy color. Held in the light- colors like burgundy are clearly revealed. I poured mine into a tulip which I think it the right glass for the beer. White head that slowly subsides.

Aroma is heavenly. Might be the best aroma of a beer I have ever tried in fact. Rich fig and toffee coupled with maple syrup and sweet bourbon. I think the best aroma came from the glass about 45 minutes post-opening.

Where do I begin to describe the layers of this brew. Extremely smooth, but hint of alcohol really makes the brew have some body. Vanilla notes, along with some traditional old ale flavors like fig, raisin, and marshmallow. WOW. Slightest touch of anise on the end too. Vanilla lingers...

In my top 5. Wow. Cheers!

12 oz. bottle. Batch 86.

A: Very dark dark brown color. Some mocha colored head.

S: Boozy sweet figs, floral, dark fruits, leathery, sweet chocolate

T: So thick and creamy. Roasty chocolate notes that don't take over. Warming.

M: Thick and creamy.

O: I think this is my favorite beer on this planet. I just love this beer so freaking much. Incredible complex flavors and aromas. Drinks somewhere between a barleywine and an imperial stout. Love it!

Batch #68
This one is a regular in my fridge. One of my favorite beers.

Pours very dark. Almost black. Even a slow and easy pour will produce a very robust light tan head. I usually choose to allow it to rise up slightly above the rim. The tightly compacted bubbles are fun to stare at as I wait for the abundant foam to subside. I know it's possible to brew an equally impressive looking brew, but I've never seen better.

The aroma is only a small hint at what's to come. Yeasty, fruity, smoky, and alcoholy. Holy, indeed. It just smells like the Adam to me. Did I mention I love this beer? The taste is a beautiful balance of smoke, fig, alcohol, chocolate, yeast, coffee, hops, and whatever else is in there that's combining to create perhaps the most unique overall flavor I've tasted in a beer. Maybe I should try some more Old Ale's though. I love how it reminds of a RIS, but it's just got so much more going on. I love the flavor presence of the yeast and the fruits. I don't think there's anything I'd change about this beer. The mouthfeel is very creamy, yet balanced perfectly by the carbonation. Like a root beer float. Hmm. Now that's an idea! The sweetness in this beer is in perfect harmony with the bitterness that the hops and chocolate/coffee flavors provide. Three words summarize my thoughts on this beer. Amazing, unique, and balanced. Highly recommended.

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

12 oz bottle of Batch 72 into a snifter. Purchased in SF last fall during a truly memorable trip.

Deep burgundy body topped by a full almond crown. Very excite!

Nose is slightly spicy with a heavy milk chocolate frothy milkshake vibe and a faint hop finish. Throughout the entire glass I just sat with my snout perched on the rim of my glass while taking in the entire experience.

Adam tastes like my image of the 1950's. Grabbing a fork and knife, this beer drinks like a motorcycle jacket recently involved in a malt shop throw down. Smoky unfiltered Lucky Strikes and leather smothered by a creamy blueberry milkshake. Or did they call it a malt? Regardless, this is a beautiful experience.

Drinks like a dessert beverage. Lush and creamy in the mouthfeel without being thick and heavy. Damn...

So very approachable and enjoyable with the heat only making an appearance as Adam reaches room temperature. In reading the bottle it seems this beer memorializes a fallen friend. What an amazing tribute.

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

Batch Number 72 Poured into a Koningshoeven Chalice black with a nice tan head. Whoa, the smell of this beer is strong!!! Lots of nut scents with a strong fruit scent, almost like grapefruit. It smells delicious!!! And the taste doesn't fail!!! HOLY COW. The flavors are all over the place. First taste of roasted malts, then roasted malts, some raisins, then more roasted malt. And right at the end of the flavor circus is smoked wood. I would almost describe the smoke flavor like Mesquite wood. This would be absolutly great with Mesquite Slow smoked BBQ Chicken. I can't believe how great these tastes going across my tounge are. The mouthfeel is strong in alcohol, but perfect in carbonation. The head remains in a thin layer all the way down the glass with good lacing.

Overall, I am in love. This is an outstanding beer. Unbelievably outstanding!!!

Batch 58

Dark mahogany in hue, ruby highly when held to a light but it is largely opaque. It is a very attractive color. The head was beige and very rocky. It reached a fist in height; I couldn’t pour the entire bottle into my snifter. Lordy! The head is massive and out of control. It looks like it will be awhile before I can drink it. The head retention was fantastic, rock solid. Subsequent lacing was ubiquitous but not very clingy.

The first whiff was green apples, bushels of them. Spicy. A second sniff introduced lovely musky notes, smoky bacon, and peat aromas too. This is simply awesome. Whiskey. Oak, old wooden barrels that stored alcohol years ago. Robust maltiness. The hops seem to say “hi” but I could barely hear them. The potency is huge. Inviting, mouthwateringly so. Complex like few other beers I have smelled.

The palate is freaking amazing; the bouquet does not lie and it does not deceive, it delivers as promised. Wow, it is like a tale of three beers, the spicy, yeasty, clovey, peppery flavors remind me of a Triple. The smokiness is Rauchbier-like. Yummy! The maltiness is very much similar to an Old Ale with appropriate hop levels. This is seriously and insanely good. The complexities are amazing; I can’t believe how well the smoke works with the yeasty-spice and alcohol punch. Most of the beer is deeply infused with smoke. The finish, I found, was dominated by zesty ale fruitiness and bitter hops. In the aftertaste the malt and smoke return. Freaking incredible.

This is one amazing beer, medium-full in body with moderate carbonation on the tongue; the mouthfeel is very pleasant because it yields to the flavors.

I found this to be very drinkable but I forced myself to sip and savor. I really wish I had bought more than one bottle in Loveland, CO. That was a foolish mistake. Highly recommended.

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

A Big thanks to tzanio for this one!

L: Pours a deep brown almost black, but with a red-orange hue to it. Medium sized thick tan colored head that laces the glass very nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet roasted malts, hints of caramel, dark vinous fruits, and some chocolate. Really complex and really enticing.
T: Tastes similar to the nose which blew my mind. Dark roasted malts with some caramelized malts, chocolate, dark vinous fruits, molasses, and a really nice finish to it.
M: Very rich, complex, warming, lighter bodied than it looked, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable beer, this one was gone before I knew it, really really great beer for sure. I wish this one were available around CT!

4.9/5  rDev +15%

Served chilled, but savored slowly to allow warming, in a Trois Pistoles goblet. Batch #48.

Appearance: Dark brown, almost black liquid topped by an impressive light brown head of extremely dense bubbles. The head was nearly as thick and creamy as nitro poured Guinness. Omnipresent layer of foam that left a curtain of lace on the sides of my glass. The head was a bit crazy, but that allowed for the release of the aromatic compounds.

Smell: Sweet toffee, anise and good pipe tobacco at first impression. Hints of piney hops. Closer inspection brings out raisins, prunes, and molasses aromas. A nicely complex nose that's medicinal at times. Sniff this dog over, get to know it.

Taste: Nice intense smoky bittersweet toffee malt taste at first. Where the hell is my jerky? Cocoa, coffee, prune, and molasses flavors cascade in the mouth. Freeyow, this is good. There's alcohol in this?

Mouthfeel: Thick, hearty, and warming. I sat outside on a crisp late fall day with my glass and did not feel a chill.

Drinkability: I bet this would be an ideal beer for BBQ'ed ribs. A special occasion beer, but one worth getting and savoring. More than one in a sitting? No, but you'll want a litter of these puppies lying around the house. Perfect for a late fall/early winter day that's overcast and has a light breeze. Sit, sip, and think. So far, the best of the Hair of the Dog beers I've had.

4.9/5  rDev +15%

Batch 55 labeled on the bottle, which from their website means it was bottled in 2002. I am sitting here drinking it in 2009 wishing I had a younger and maybe an older bottle to compare. I have only had this once before, and I am very fond of it. It is deliciously rich, smooth, and enjoyable.

The beer pours dark brown, almost black with an amazing thick frothy tan head that seemed to grade from small bubbles at the bottom to larger ones on top before you start drinking it. It leaves a very nice lace, and the head is very long lived. I haven't seen many nicer looking beers. It has a rich malty aroma that is smokey, a little fruity, musty and robust. Big, delicious malt flavor transitions to an almosty perfumey bitter aftertaste that has a good heat but is not distracting. Warm, thick mouthfeel that is full bodied, very smooth, and has an alcoholic finish. This is a rare beer that I think is worth what they are charging for 12 oz. bottles. I have had mixed luck with their Fred, but I am very excited about Adam.

4.9/5  rDev +15%

This was maybe my second Hair of the Dog ever shortly after moving to Portland four years ago, I was naive in my beer drinking capabilities with my notes below. But i have to say, after almost four years of having nearly all the Adam I can drink, it is still one of my absolute favorites. It's rich with smoked malt and alcohol complexities. It's one of the most unique beers out there.

[Previous notes from 3/5/2007] I snagged a bottle at Higgins for dessert, and I couldn't of made a better choice. Poured a deep brown/black with a huge tan head. Sweet cocoa-like, malty aroma... flavors of chocolate, figs, tarts, smoked meat or cheese, and maybe something like a coffee undertone. Had amazing smokey, leathery, charred finish.

Batch # 74

Poured from a brown 12oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A deep dark black topped with a half inch of creamy tannish head that goes away in a minute. Look is more like an Imperial stout.

Smell is deep. Ripened fig and dates. Smokey chocolate and tons of roasted malts.

This is an incredible brew. Tons of flavors hitting my pallet at once. Like i said in the aroma. Figs dates and dried fruit. Roasted malts out the wazoo! Sweet dark chocolate. Finishes smokey with tons of espresso coffee.

Decent mouthfeel, Lightly carbonated. Pretty rich and creamy. Not overly thick or heavy. Lots of alcohol warmth in the finish.

This is a really great beer. Lots of flavors going on but it remains well balanced. Everytime I have this beer I love it more and more. It's really world class and one of the best beers ever made!

4.89/5  rDev +14.8%

Had this at Craftheads in Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan http://craftheads.jp
2008 Vintage; Batch 64

A - Jet black pour into a pint glass yielding a one-finger thick, foamy and tan head (4)

S - Pleasant scents of oak on the nose with fruity suggestions of primarily raisins; aromas of caramel and chocolate were also present on the rich nose (5)

T - Sweet and intense chocolate and caramel notes upfront breaking into truck loads of dark fruits with suggestions of plums, raisins and dates; the finish comes with a solid chocolate backing and some pleasant notes of oak. The complexity and balanced blending of all these flavors are nothing short of astonishing (5)

M - Full-bodied thickness with a creamy smooth texture; carbonation was slightly on the high though (4.5)

D - Fantastic flavors and stunning complexity yet deceivingly easy drinking at 10% ABV; definitely a top beer well suited for my palates (5)

This was one of the best (if not the best) craft beer I've had on my trip to Japan from Jan 18 - 28, 2011. It was so good, I bought another bottle of it (1100 Yen) from Tanakaya Beer store along with a bottle of Cherry Adam (2100 Yen)

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

Batch 52
Whooo... Gotta take a deep breath before trying to explain this one.
Pours a delightful glass of muddy brown fluid. I love it. Not clean-looking in the least. Borders on a crimson blackness when not held to light.You know it is huge just by looking it it. Beige head retains wonderfully.
Nose is packed full of berry, wood and chocolate aromas. Plenty of hops on the nostrils, as well as with a good deal of smokiness.
Taste is something else. Big, rich fruitiness. Lots of grape and raisins floating around. Berries and cherry too. Malty caramel/toffee/butterscotch is in full effect. Add some lovely vanilla flavors. Turns darker with the expresso and dark chocolate kicking in. Then does an about-face and throws some scotch-like hues. Smoky and delightful with some lovely woody notes. Yeast is evident, and throws in some spicy and earthy tones. Somewhat belgian-esque, as many HotD brew are. Hopping is obviously huge, but just enough to balance this overwhelming load. Turns spell-bindingly dry on the finish. Just some lingering woody dark chocolate and fruit. So balanced it is not even funny.
Velvety smooth and creamy in the mouth. No rough edges whatsoever. Oh..this is a joy to drink. Dangerous is an understatement.
I loved every second of this one. One of my all time favorites.

Thanks for the treat, Bighuge. I'd drive the 250 miles anytime for a 6er of this. I wish Hair of the Dog was available down here in Madison. I am very impressed with their product.

Update 6/29/03: I was playing with my ratings and saw that this is one of my top 5. I wasn't quite sure of that, so I popped one for validation (courtesy, once again of Mr. Bighuge himself). Conclusion? This is the real fucking deal right here. One of the best in the States.

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

'04 Vintage. Picked this up at Belmont Station in '05. Really thick half inch head, light-brown, mostly lasting, almost black. Mmild coffee aroma, dough, raisin, plum, cherry and red wine. Extremely long finish. Quite thick - really coats the tongue. really outstanding!!

*batch 77, 12 oz bottle poured into a snifter*

Subtle hints of brown around the edges are the only thing that keeps me from saying this brew pours black. A one finger, cream-colored head filled the glass quite nicely and then subsided into a thin film which produced some very nice lacing.

The initial aroma is all candied plum and raisin. As it warms, however, oak, leather, grape, subtle hints of sweet pipe tobacco, and even more sweet and fruity aromas that I just can't quite put my finger on begin to come through. Amazing.

Upon my first sip, I notice that although it drinks a lot more sweet than bitter, it's incredibly balanced. There is absolutely nothing out of place. Rich candied fruit, oak, and vanilla are the predominant flavors. Subsequent sips produce leathery, tobacco-like flavors. Alcohol, while detectable, is balanced perfectly in the background. If you haven't had this, believe me when I say, "It works". I'd love to pair this with a great steak.

Mouthfeel is on point. It's full-bodied without feeling like cough medicine or motor oil. Carbonation is perfect. It's neither fizzy nor flat.

This is a fantastic beer. I can't help but think that this would be the perfect brew to get your wine-only friend to finally break on through to the world of craft beer. This beer oozes compelexity and begs to be paired with a great meal. I'll be picking this one up again.

4.87/5  rDev +14.3%

I sampled batch #53, I'm gonna put one of these guys away and try it again in a year.

Pours syrupy with no head, especially if one follows the directions on the bottle indicating to pour slowly, and I am a sucker for directions on the bottle. Color is incredibly dark brown, completely opaque. Leaves a slight lace as one slowly sips this beer down.

Smell is quite complex and sorting it out completely is above the ability of my paltry nose. I would describe it as a sweet and slightly fruity (think figs, raisins). The enigmatic smell seems to call out drink me, and so I listen.

Overtones of alcohol do not seem to affect the complex flavor, even though you do feel your BA levels rising as you sip this bad boy down. It seems the smell did not lie, as the taste of the beer is itself sweet and slightly fruity (again I'm thinking of figs and raisins), but there seems to be even more to sort out. There is a bitterness which comes initially and seems to be countered immediately by the sweet flavor described earlier. Finally, at the end of the sip one nutty and coffee flavors resonate and the mild bitterness is back.

Overall:
Easily the most drinkable double digit ABV beer I have had. Not for beginners, like Stone Arrogant Bastard, this beer just wants to kick your ass. My suggestion is to let it.

4.87/5  rDev +14.3%

First beer review. Might as well start with my one of my favorites.

A 12oz 2008 Adam bottle aged for about six months poured into a large wine glass.

A-Mostly black, with a little reddish tinge. Really dark color. Head was beautiful off-white color. About half of initial pour was head.

S- Great, big smells of plum, lots of plum. Some fig and raisin as well. Lots of dark fruit that just smells fantastic. Some notes of wood and caramel.

T- Wow. Big, blood tastes of dark fruit, chocolate, and woodiness to it. There is some alcohol, which`prevents the flavor from becoming too sweet. So tasty.

M- The first pour had lots of foam, but after the first few sips, great mouthfeel. Heavy, without being overwhelming.

D- Well, it is 10%. You don't really notice the affects until 3/4th through. Wouldn't recommend more then two in a night. Still, very drinkable considering how much flavor and alcohol is in this beer.

What a beer. Hair of the Dog is one of my favorite brewers, and Adam is another reminder of how original and creative they are.

4.87/5  rDev +14.3%

Batch 55. Pours a beautiful reddish cola color. Small but really dense tan head. Dissapated rather quickly. Whoa...what an aroma! Roasted malt, brown sugar, every red fruit I can think of both fresh and dried plus a few others. Mild yeastiness as well. Very earthy, woody and vinuous. Almost like a mild Port. My mouth is watering!
Deeply complex earthy flavor. The roasted malt is really upfront with a mild smokiness. The red and other fruits come in with some molasses and a smidge of licorice. Big hop presence helps to balance along with a slightly tart yeast aftertaste.The 10% alcohol is present but not in a bad way. It all melds together rather well. Definitly a vinuous character here. I'll have to try this with a good cigar. Has the potential for a match made in heaven!
Rich, creamy, full mouthfeel with excellent carbonation. The alcohol and richness hurt the drinkability a bit, but a world class beer nonetheless. I really liked this beer.
I didn't know they had trappist breweries in Oregon!

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. Batch 77.

A wet, wood smell hits me first, which quickly gives way to a thick, fig/raisin scent.

Adam pours dark but bubbly, carbonation bubbles evident throughout the glass. Little head dissipates quickly.

For all of the carbonation bubbles, the mouthfeel is deceptively smooth.

The taste...this is the stuff. A dark roasted chocolate cake/chocolate truffle taste that gives way to a smooth smokiness.

This beer deserves it's spot. It's a dark smooth beer that starts with a chocolate cake taste and ends with smoky finish. I could drink a bomber of this easy.

Adam from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room