1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Adam - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

AdamAdam

Ratings: 1936

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  10.00% ABV

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Adam Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,936 | Reviews: 964 | Show All Ratings:
faernt

This is a profoundly good beer. The head is sculpture. My first encounter was on draft at Floyd's in Seattle. I've tried batches in the 20's, 30's,40s, and 50's, with tonight being #52. The last time was #33. This beer is an example of Beer as Art. It is beguiling. Like a good meal the components are so integrated that no one element stands out. They tease. The flavour changes from Imperial Stout to Harvest Ale. All the leathery,woody, chocolatey flavors dance interchangeably throughout the taste. When I think I have a flavor pegged it changes. Alan Sprints is an alchemist. This is gold turned into beer.

06-06-2003 20:10:04 | More by faernt
Impfan

Washington

What can I say...all my favorite components beautifully balanced in a creamy, voluptuous body. Leather, wood, smoke, figs, tobacco, and chocolate. Reasonably dry, and constantly compelling, drawing you in for another luxurious sip. Simply amazing, and even more incredible than the bottled version.

Serving type: nitro-tap

03-26-2012 20:19:27 | More by Impfan
timc100

Batch 85

Pours dark brown, completely opaque. Has a creamy dark beige head that leaves great lacing and sticks around a while. Beautiful looking beer

Amazing and completely unique aroma - it smells like a hearty old world ale. Huge complex and rich dark fruit notes - raisins, figs, plums. Very solid creamy chocolate and as it warms leather and tobacco come out. Phenomenal blend of fruit, earth and chocolate.

Just as great as the aroma. Big dark fruits - incredibly rich, each very distinctive and work phenomenally well with the other flavors. The chocolate has a great unifying effect of the leather and tobacco, and fruits. The body is full and smooth. Perfection

This is and has been my favorite dark beer. Nothing like it. Really, really want to try the barrel variants.

04-23-2013 01:41:17 | More by timc100
PDXHops

South Carolina

4.98/5  rDev +16.6%

Batch 71. 12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

Nice looking brew. Beautiful very dark brown/ruby body with lovely ruby highlights. 2 fingers of tan head that isn't inclined to leave anytime soon. It slowly reduces and compresses to a half-finger layer that never leaves- fairly amazing at this ABV. Crackly lacing all up and down the glass. As Alan has mentioned, bottle conditioning can be a bit of a crapshoot, but the stars certainly seem to have aligned with this batch.

Wonderful, complex nose. Sherry, figs, a hint of singed wood and smoke. Sweet malt, oak, banana. Sherry, tobacco, bittersweet chocolate. You could spend half an hour just smelling and picking out new aromas. A real treat for the nose; now, onto the mouth!

This beer really keeps your tastebuds busy. So much going on, I don't know where to begin. Nice big roasted and sweet malt backbone. Sherry, brandy and oak. Lots of fruit- figs, raisins, overripe apples, pears. Bittersweet chocolate, leather and a touch of smoke. Vanilla? Tiniest hint of bourbon. Nice bitter hop bite at the finish. Just amazing. This is one of those beers that you can sip, chew, swish and savor, and still find something new at the end of the bottle.

Great mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation with a lingering oily, velvety, palate coating slickness. Hard to explain, but the 'vapors' left behind in your mouth still leave you trying to pick out new flavors. Weird, but awesome!

Overall impression: Incredible beer, my absolute favorite brew. Get some for now, but save some of this bottle conditioned elixir for later, too. Have a little patience and you'll be rewarded with something special.

03-01-2009 23:30:19 | More by PDXHops
bitterbeerguy

4.98/5  rDev +16.6%

Fat Tuesday- figured this was very appropriate. Special thanks to JohnGalt1 for this brew- awesome part of a solid trade!

Pours a color that resembles maple syrup mixed with molasses. Rich, heavy color. Held in the light- colors like burgundy are clearly revealed. I poured mine into a tulip which I think it the right glass for the beer. White head that slowly subsides.

Aroma is heavenly. Might be the best aroma of a beer I have ever tried in fact. Rich fig and toffee coupled with maple syrup and sweet bourbon. I think the best aroma came from the glass about 45 minutes post-opening.

Where do I begin to describe the layers of this brew. Extremely smooth, but hint of alcohol really makes the brew have some body. Vanilla notes, along with some traditional old ale flavors like fig, raisin, and marshmallow. WOW. Slightest touch of anise on the end too. Vanilla lingers...

In my top 5. Wow. Cheers!

02-22-2012 03:18:02 | More by bitterbeerguy
Ryan011235

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured into a snifter on 10/25/10

Batch 74

With much appreciation to PDXHops

Dark cola brown color that settles near black. Basically no light can get through. The head started off as a loose patch of bubbles which was filled out by smooth foam, about one finger's worth. While retention thins, there's an impressive amount left considering the abv. Same goes for lacing.

The aroma is incredibly smooth with many layers of complexity. Dark fruits - raisins, figs & maybe a hint of prune; deep-seated dark cocoa; near-burnt sugars; vague notion of molasses; overtones of tobacco. Basically, all things deep & ominous. Something of a boozy swoon, as well.

A slew of burnt & roasted flavors greet the tongue immediately. Tobacco is the most potent flavor, begrudgingly sharing territory with notions of dark chocolate, raisins, figs & molasses. Indeed there is a smokiness, especially noticeable as the beer warms. Hints of toffee. The balance between burnt & sweet is ideal, in my opinion with the scale tipping in favor of the former.

Full bodied & plenty viscous for the style. Carbonation seems appropriate. The alcohol is warming but it isn't overly hot; certainly not cloying. The finish is somewhat gritty with a slight nod to bygone hops. Residuals of tobacco, dark fruit overtones & smoked malts linger.

Adam is a perfect convergence of flavor, complexity & structure. I do believe this is the cigar beer I've been searching for. Highly Recommended.

10-30-2010 01:16:25 | More by Ryan011235
jakon

Batch #68
This one is a regular in my fridge. One of my favorite beers.

Pours very dark. Almost black. Even a slow and easy pour will produce a very robust light tan head. I usually choose to allow it to rise up slightly above the rim. The tightly compacted bubbles are fun to stare at as I wait for the abundant foam to subside. I know it's possible to brew an equally impressive looking brew, but I've never seen better.

The aroma is only a small hint at what's to come. Yeasty, fruity, smoky, and alcoholy. Holy, indeed. It just smells like the Adam to me. Did I mention I love this beer? The taste is a beautiful balance of smoke, fig, alcohol, chocolate, yeast, coffee, hops, and whatever else is in there that's combining to create perhaps the most unique overall flavor I've tasted in a beer. Maybe I should try some more Old Ale's though. I love how it reminds of a RIS, but it's just got so much more going on. I love the flavor presence of the yeast and the fruits. I don't think there's anything I'd change about this beer. The mouthfeel is very creamy, yet balanced perfectly by the carbonation. Like a root beer float. Hmm. Now that's an idea! The sweetness in this beer is in perfect harmony with the bitterness that the hops and chocolate/coffee flavors provide. Three words summarize my thoughts on this beer. Amazing, unique, and balanced. Highly recommended.

06-30-2007 05:11:36 | More by jakon
BarrytheBear

Wisconsin

4.95/5  rDev +15.9%

12 oz bottle of Batch 72 into a snifter. Purchased in SF last fall during a truly memorable trip.

Deep burgundy body topped by a full almond crown. Very excite!

Nose is slightly spicy with a heavy milk chocolate frothy milkshake vibe and a faint hop finish. Throughout the entire glass I just sat with my snout perched on the rim of my glass while taking in the entire experience.

Adam tastes like my image of the 1950's. Grabbing a fork and knife, this beer drinks like a motorcycle jacket recently involved in a malt shop throw down. Smoky unfiltered Lucky Strikes and leather smothered by a creamy blueberry milkshake. Or did they call it a malt? Regardless, this is a beautiful experience.

Drinks like a dessert beverage. Lush and creamy in the mouthfeel without being thick and heavy. Damn...

So very approachable and enjoyable with the heat only making an appearance as Adam reaches room temperature. In reading the bottle it seems this beer memorializes a fallen friend. What an amazing tribute.

08-28-2010 02:09:48 | More by BarrytheBear
cocojoe

12 oz. bottle. Batch 86.

A: Very dark dark brown color. Some mocha colored head.

S: Boozy sweet figs, floral, dark fruits, leathery, sweet chocolate

T: So thick and creamy. Roasty chocolate notes that don't take over. Warming.

M: Thick and creamy.

O: I think this is my favorite beer on this planet. I just love this beer so freaking much. Incredible complex flavors and aromas. Drinks somewhere between a barleywine and an imperial stout. Love it!

01-10-2013 09:44:09 | More by cocojoe
bditty187

Nebraska

Batch 58

Dark mahogany in hue, ruby highly when held to a light but it is largely opaque. It is a very attractive color. The head was beige and very rocky. It reached a fist in height; I couldn’t pour the entire bottle into my snifter. Lordy! The head is massive and out of control. It looks like it will be awhile before I can drink it. The head retention was fantastic, rock solid. Subsequent lacing was ubiquitous but not very clingy.

The first whiff was green apples, bushels of them. Spicy. A second sniff introduced lovely musky notes, smoky bacon, and peat aromas too. This is simply awesome. Whiskey. Oak, old wooden barrels that stored alcohol years ago. Robust maltiness. The hops seem to say “hi” but I could barely hear them. The potency is huge. Inviting, mouthwateringly so. Complex like few other beers I have smelled.

The palate is freaking amazing; the bouquet does not lie and it does not deceive, it delivers as promised. Wow, it is like a tale of three beers, the spicy, yeasty, clovey, peppery flavors remind me of a Triple. The smokiness is Rauchbier-like. Yummy! The maltiness is very much similar to an Old Ale with appropriate hop levels. This is seriously and insanely good. The complexities are amazing; I can’t believe how well the smoke works with the yeasty-spice and alcohol punch. Most of the beer is deeply infused with smoke. The finish, I found, was dominated by zesty ale fruitiness and bitter hops. In the aftertaste the malt and smoke return. Freaking incredible.

This is one amazing beer, medium-full in body with moderate carbonation on the tongue; the mouthfeel is very pleasant because it yields to the flavors.

I found this to be very drinkable but I forced myself to sip and savor. I really wish I had bought more than one bottle in Loveland, CO. That was a foolish mistake. Highly recommended.

05-12-2004 21:01:07 | More by bditty187
whoneeds8

4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

Batch Number 72 Poured into a Koningshoeven Chalice black with a nice tan head. Whoa, the smell of this beer is strong!!! Lots of nut scents with a strong fruit scent, almost like grapefruit. It smells delicious!!! And the taste doesn't fail!!! HOLY COW. The flavors are all over the place. First taste of roasted malts, then roasted malts, some raisins, then more roasted malt. And right at the end of the flavor circus is smoked wood. I would almost describe the smoke flavor like Mesquite wood. This would be absolutly great with Mesquite Slow smoked BBQ Chicken. I can't believe how great these tastes going across my tounge are. The mouthfeel is strong in alcohol, but perfect in carbonation. The head remains in a thin layer all the way down the glass with good lacing.

Overall, I am in love. This is an outstanding beer. Unbelievably outstanding!!!

05-02-2009 02:42:00 | More by whoneeds8
erosier

Connecticut

4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

A Big thanks to tzanio for this one!

L: Pours a deep brown almost black, but with a red-orange hue to it. Medium sized thick tan colored head that laces the glass very nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet roasted malts, hints of caramel, dark vinous fruits, and some chocolate. Really complex and really enticing.
T: Tastes similar to the nose which blew my mind. Dark roasted malts with some caramelized malts, chocolate, dark vinous fruits, molasses, and a really nice finish to it.
M: Very rich, complex, warming, lighter bodied than it looked, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable beer, this one was gone before I knew it, really really great beer for sure. I wish this one were available around CT!

01-29-2010 11:19:42 | More by erosier
Mebuzzard

Colorado

4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

I"m such an A-hole I don't remember who gave this too me. It was a trade at FRTH, I know your face!! Thanks for this wonder brew

This is almost a perfect 5 for me, but I think it misses the style, probably by a lot, but it's too damn good to mark more off.

Pours a dark chestnut, almost black. Off-brown/tan head, dense, creamy, foaming up to about 2 fingers. Lacing is slick.

Great aroma. Rich and full. Dark fruits, coffee, chocolate, leather, molasses. hint of vanilla and anise. Yum

Taste is richer and fuller. Subtle at first, then the flavors hit. Wow. Leather up front, black chocolate, baked caramel, black plum. Molasses adds to the roasted malt sweetness, but the leather and some prune come in with a dash of anise to dry it out a bit. A touch of tannin. Smmmoooth. Oh my. A slightly dry finish, but mostly smooth. Alcohol is a non-factor

My first HotD beer and I'm wowed. Gonna have to hit my brother up in Washington to keep on eye out for these.

07-05-2011 04:13:46 | More by Mebuzzard
cokes

Wisconsin

Batch 52
Whooo... Gotta take a deep breath before trying to explain this one.
Pours a delightful glass of muddy brown fluid. I love it. Not clean-looking in the least. Borders on a crimson blackness when not held to light.You know it is huge just by looking it it. Beige head retains wonderfully.
Nose is packed full of berry, wood and chocolate aromas. Plenty of hops on the nostrils, as well as with a good deal of smokiness.
Taste is something else. Big, rich fruitiness. Lots of grape and raisins floating around. Berries and cherry too. Malty caramel/toffee/butterscotch is in full effect. Add some lovely vanilla flavors. Turns darker with the expresso and dark chocolate kicking in. Then does an about-face and throws some scotch-like hues. Smoky and delightful with some lovely woody notes. Yeast is evident, and throws in some spicy and earthy tones. Somewhat belgian-esque, as many HotD brew are. Hopping is obviously huge, but just enough to balance this overwhelming load. Turns spell-bindingly dry on the finish. Just some lingering woody dark chocolate and fruit. So balanced it is not even funny.
Velvety smooth and creamy in the mouth. No rough edges whatsoever. Oh..this is a joy to drink. Dangerous is an understatement.
I loved every second of this one. One of my all time favorites.

Thanks for the treat, Bighuge. I'd drive the 250 miles anytime for a 6er of this. I wish Hair of the Dog was available down here in Madison. I am very impressed with their product.

Update 6/29/03: I was playing with my ratings and saw that this is one of my top 5. I wasn't quite sure of that, so I popped one for validation (courtesy, once again of Mr. Bighuge himself). Conclusion? This is the real fucking deal right here. One of the best in the States.

07-28-2002 23:59:15 | More by cokes
ManekiNeko

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

Served chilled, but savored slowly to allow warming, in a Trois Pistoles goblet. Batch #48.

Appearance: Dark brown, almost black liquid topped by an impressive light brown head of extremely dense bubbles. The head was nearly as thick and creamy as nitro poured Guinness. Omnipresent layer of foam that left a curtain of lace on the sides of my glass. The head was a bit crazy, but that allowed for the release of the aromatic compounds.

Smell: Sweet toffee, anise and good pipe tobacco at first impression. Hints of piney hops. Closer inspection brings out raisins, prunes, and molasses aromas. A nicely complex nose that's medicinal at times. Sniff this dog over, get to know it.

Taste: Nice intense smoky bittersweet toffee malt taste at first. Where the hell is my jerky? Cocoa, coffee, prune, and molasses flavors cascade in the mouth. Freeyow, this is good. There's alcohol in this?

Mouthfeel: Thick, hearty, and warming. I sat outside on a crisp late fall day with my glass and did not feel a chill.

Drinkability: I bet this would be an ideal beer for BBQ'ed ribs. A special occasion beer, but one worth getting and savoring. More than one in a sitting? No, but you'll want a litter of these puppies lying around the house. Perfect for a late fall/early winter day that's overcast and has a light breeze. Sit, sip, and think. So far, the best of the Hair of the Dog beers I've had.

10-26-2003 21:31:57 | More by ManekiNeko
doubleipa

Georgia

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

'04 Vintage. Picked this up at Belmont Station in '05. Really thick half inch head, light-brown, mostly lasting, almost black. Mmild coffee aroma, dough, raisin, plum, cherry and red wine. Extremely long finish. Quite thick - really coats the tongue. really outstanding!!

10-11-2007 20:16:26 | More by doubleipa
walshclimb

Nevada

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

Batch 55 labeled on the bottle, which from their website means it was bottled in 2002. I am sitting here drinking it in 2009 wishing I had a younger and maybe an older bottle to compare. I have only had this once before, and I am very fond of it. It is deliciously rich, smooth, and enjoyable.

The beer pours dark brown, almost black with an amazing thick frothy tan head that seemed to grade from small bubbles at the bottom to larger ones on top before you start drinking it. It leaves a very nice lace, and the head is very long lived. I haven't seen many nicer looking beers. It has a rich malty aroma that is smokey, a little fruity, musty and robust. Big, delicious malt flavor transitions to an almosty perfumey bitter aftertaste that has a good heat but is not distracting. Warm, thick mouthfeel that is full bodied, very smooth, and has an alcoholic finish. This is a rare beer that I think is worth what they are charging for 12 oz. bottles. I have had mixed luck with their Fred, but I am very excited about Adam.

01-08-2009 04:36:00 | More by walshclimb
BigMike

Batch # 74

Poured from a brown 12oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A deep dark black topped with a half inch of creamy tannish head that goes away in a minute. Look is more like an Imperial stout.

Smell is deep. Ripened fig and dates. Smokey chocolate and tons of roasted malts.

This is an incredible brew. Tons of flavors hitting my pallet at once. Like i said in the aroma. Figs dates and dried fruit. Roasted malts out the wazoo! Sweet dark chocolate. Finishes smokey with tons of espresso coffee.

Decent mouthfeel, Lightly carbonated. Pretty rich and creamy. Not overly thick or heavy. Lots of alcohol warmth in the finish.

This is a really great beer. Lots of flavors going on but it remains well balanced. Everytime I have this beer I love it more and more. It's really world class and one of the best beers ever made!

08-06-2009 01:08:59 | More by BigMike
boMD

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

This was maybe my second Hair of the Dog ever shortly after moving to Portland four years ago, I was naive in my beer drinking capabilities with my notes below. But i have to say, after almost four years of having nearly all the Adam I can drink, it is still one of my absolute favorites. It's rich with smoked malt and alcohol complexities. It's one of the most unique beers out there.

[Previous notes from 3/5/2007] I snagged a bottle at Higgins for dessert, and I couldn't of made a better choice. Poured a deep brown/black with a huge tan head. Sweet cocoa-like, malty aroma... flavors of chocolate, figs, tarts, smoked meat or cheese, and maybe something like a coffee undertone. Had amazing smokey, leathery, charred finish.

08-20-2010 20:43:54 | More by boMD
basica

Singapore

Had this at Craftheads in Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan http://craftheads.jp
2008 Vintage; Batch 64

A - Jet black pour into a pint glass yielding a one-finger thick, foamy and tan head (4)

S - Pleasant scents of oak on the nose with fruity suggestions of primarily raisins; aromas of caramel and chocolate were also present on the rich nose (5)

T - Sweet and intense chocolate and caramel notes upfront breaking into truck loads of dark fruits with suggestions of plums, raisins and dates; the finish comes with a solid chocolate backing and some pleasant notes of oak. The complexity and balanced blending of all these flavors are nothing short of astonishing (5)

M - Full-bodied thickness with a creamy smooth texture; carbonation was slightly on the high though (4.5)

D - Fantastic flavors and stunning complexity yet deceivingly easy drinking at 10% ABV; definitely a top beer well suited for my palates (5)

This was one of the best (if not the best) craft beer I've had on my trip to Japan from Jan 18 - 28, 2011. It was so good, I bought another bottle of it (1100 Yen) from Tanakaya Beer store along with a bottle of Cherry Adam (2100 Yen)

02-03-2011 03:22:05 | More by basica
dolem98

Idaho

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

I sampled batch #53, I'm gonna put one of these guys away and try it again in a year.

Pours syrupy with no head, especially if one follows the directions on the bottle indicating to pour slowly, and I am a sucker for directions on the bottle. Color is incredibly dark brown, completely opaque. Leaves a slight lace as one slowly sips this beer down.

Smell is quite complex and sorting it out completely is above the ability of my paltry nose. I would describe it as a sweet and slightly fruity (think figs, raisins). The enigmatic smell seems to call out drink me, and so I listen.

Overtones of alcohol do not seem to affect the complex flavor, even though you do feel your BA levels rising as you sip this bad boy down. It seems the smell did not lie, as the taste of the beer is itself sweet and slightly fruity (again I'm thinking of figs and raisins), but there seems to be even more to sort out. There is a bitterness which comes initially and seems to be countered immediately by the sweet flavor described earlier. Finally, at the end of the sip one nutty and coffee flavors resonate and the mild bitterness is back.

Overall:
Easily the most drinkable double digit ABV beer I have had. Not for beginners, like Stone Arrogant Bastard, this beer just wants to kick your ass. My suggestion is to let it.

10-06-2002 23:58:30 | More by dolem98
rkhaze

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Batch 55. Pours a beautiful reddish cola color. Small but really dense tan head. Dissapated rather quickly. Whoa...what an aroma! Roasted malt, brown sugar, every red fruit I can think of both fresh and dried plus a few others. Mild yeastiness as well. Very earthy, woody and vinuous. Almost like a mild Port. My mouth is watering!
Deeply complex earthy flavor. The roasted malt is really upfront with a mild smokiness. The red and other fruits come in with some molasses and a smidge of licorice. Big hop presence helps to balance along with a slightly tart yeast aftertaste.The 10% alcohol is present but not in a bad way. It all melds together rather well. Definitly a vinuous character here. I'll have to try this with a good cigar. Has the potential for a match made in heaven!
Rich, creamy, full mouthfeel with excellent carbonation. The alcohol and richness hurt the drinkability a bit, but a world class beer nonetheless. I really liked this beer.
I didn't know they had trappist breweries in Oregon!

12-09-2003 02:01:37 | More by rkhaze
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Wow, that is about all I can say about this one. This was one of the best beers I have ever had, hands down. I don’t even know where to begin on this one. Lets just start from the top. Poured a very deep dark brown with a big three finger plus head of tan lace and just a really full overall look. This was really nice looking with tons of residual side glass lace and a sticky foam top that would not quit. The aroma was wonderful, full of sweet smells of caramel, sugar, chocolate and nuts, with a nice hop essence in the back. I am not sure what the style of this is, but the flavor was robust and full. Very nutty with a decidedly caramelesque sugar to it and a really great fresh, and dry hop like finish. There were hints of chocolate and coffee throughout, but not enough to make it rely totally on those. Such a very full bodied feel, very creamy and rich. This was a magnificent bottle and one that I was really glad I got to try. It really was different than almost anything I had had before and I look forward to one day getting another to compare. And for reference this was batch number 68, and it was fantastic!

11-14-2007 01:23:37 | More by mikesgroove
ush81

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

First beer review. Might as well start with my one of my favorites.

A 12oz 2008 Adam bottle aged for about six months poured into a large wine glass.

A-Mostly black, with a little reddish tinge. Really dark color. Head was beautiful off-white color. About half of initial pour was head.

S- Great, big smells of plum, lots of plum. Some fig and raisin as well. Lots of dark fruit that just smells fantastic. Some notes of wood and caramel.

T- Wow. Big, blood tastes of dark fruit, chocolate, and woodiness to it. There is some alcohol, which`prevents the flavor from becoming too sweet. So tasty.

M- The first pour had lots of foam, but after the first few sips, great mouthfeel. Heavy, without being overwhelming.

D- Well, it is 10%. You don't really notice the affects until 3/4th through. Wouldn't recommend more then two in a night. Still, very drinkable considering how much flavor and alcohol is in this beer.

What a beer. Hair of the Dog is one of my favorite brewers, and Adam is another reminder of how original and creative they are.

07-17-2009 02:10:32 | More by ush81
soupyman10

District of Columbia

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Holy crap, this one came out of nowhere for me. I mean, I knew it was good, but didn't quite grasp what planet this beer lived on. And the planet is good, believe me.

Pour is deep brown, near black color. Floating sinking yeast. Huge white head that leaves nice lacing. Near perfect to look at.

Aroma is big! Chocolate, roasted malt, light cookies, dried fruit, light smoke. Some spiciness. Complex and beautiful.

Flavor is huge chocolate, roasted malt. Smoke in there, along with a hint of bacon. Just a hint of booze, which is remarkable given the ABV. Delicious flavor. Oak, vanilla and molasses. Rich as hell.

Body is full as hell, creamy and delicious.

This one seriously knocked me on my ass, both from the incredible flavor and the booziness that stuck with me. Definitely a sipper, but one that'll keep you happy for a long while. Wish I could find this in DC.

12-31-2009 01:36:05 | More by soupyman10